Warbonnet Ridge Runner

Discussion in 'Hammocks' started by Newtown Mark, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Newtown Mark

Newtown Mark Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm tired sleeping on the ground. And getting a good night's sleep is the only thing standing between my aging body and continuing to pursue my outdoor pleasures.

So, I've been experimenting. Thicker sleeping pads, different tents, etc. Even looked at the ultra light cots.

Tried a couple of gathered end hammocks. Very nice. Love the whole concept. But felt a little pinched and little claustrophobic, especially on my side with a face full of nylon. But I did not want to give up on the hammock idea - too tempting.

Just took delivery of a Warbonnet Ridge Runner. Quality and construction are first rate. I'm a long way from a hammock expert but the design looks spot on.

I've been practicing putting it up and taking it down, with short periods of very comfortable laying, but I think this is going to be a game-changer for me.

2. CivilizationDropout

CivilizationDropout -MOA #17-MYOG #71- Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've been thinking about a hammock lately too, but I don't know which one to get or what to look for or anything like that. I think I'll just play with that idea a little bit longer before pulling the trigger

Kreger, Broke and scottmm2012 like this.
  3. MississipVol

MississipVol Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've seen people go and get a hammock at Wal-Mart or a cheap version they find online and after trying them out decide that hammocking is not for them. There is nothing wrong with an inexpensive system. A lot of the real experienced guys have DIY systems. But buying a Wal-Mart hammock and then deciding you don't like hammocks is like buying a used pinto and deciding you don't like automobiles.

Not that you have done that at all. I just say all that to say to save up your money for a great hammock and then decide if it is for you. If OP decides he doesn't want the WB Ridgerunner, he can sell it online for 90% of what he paid for it, maybe even more. Hammockforums.com is a great place to read up on them and find the names of retailers that everyone really respects. Good luck to you! If you have any issues sleeping on your back in the woods, then hammocks are definitely worth a try!

4. johnspenn

johnspenn Scout

Blog Posts:
    Warbonnet is an industry leader in the hammock world. My wife and I slept in gathered ends for a couple of years but she kept having issues with her knees being hyperextended, so I purchased her a WBRR, and it solved that problem. I'm still in my DIY tablecloth "Yugo" and love it- hammocks are definitely an individual thing.

CivilizationDropout and Broke like this.
  5. TheRambler

TheRambler Scout

Blog Posts:
    Glad you found something that is working great for you, and I surely hope it continues to do so. For all the others out there thinking of giving hammocks a try, I would like to say....

Not all hammocks are created equally. There are major differences between hammocks, even of the same general style(ex gathered end, bridge, etc) . Most people will be more comfortable in a wider and longer hammock, mainly wider. The cheaper gathered end hammocks at Walmart, rei, amazon etc are or perhaps I should say generally narrower and shorter. A narrower and or shorter hammock makes for a less comfortable experience, not to mention they will be more tippy.

Bridge hammocks work great for a lot of folks, but all most people need is just a wider hammock. I like bridge hammocks but don't find the weight penalty worth giving up a nice well built gathered end hammock.

Give a quality hammock a try if your trying to decide, good brands like warbonnet, dream hammock etc all sale for close to their normal price so you wont be taking a big hit. Buy a bunch of cheap hammocks, and you will definitely start feeling your wallet get lighter and lighter. No one wants to buy a junk hammock, especially used. Even a lot of "big name" hammocks kinda stink, be sure you do your research because they are definitely not created equal. Chances are if its sold at a traditional retail store you should reconsider. Not all of them are bad, but enough of them are that it calls for some thorough research. Those $20-50 mistakes add up quick.

6. dub

dub Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I used an ENO Junglenest for years... Picked up a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC DL and can't believe the difference. Double layer allows you to insert a pad so it doesn't move around on you as much plus adding some additional skeeter protection down low when not using a pad. This thing has a friggin' shelf in it... No more trying to figure out where to put my sidearm or cell phone. I side sleep a lot and it was always a struggle getting into a good position in the ENO, I have no issues moving around in the Blackbird. There are tie-outs on each side that solve the issue of having the material right up on your face. The is the first hammock I've owned that has an internal ridgeline which makes set-up a lot easier. Small biner on the ridge line and your head lamp is within easy reach. Zippers on both sides so you can enter/exit where you want.

Frankly, after the first time using the Blackbird I kicked myself for not getting one sooner.

Broke, Kreger, Panzer and 2 others like this.
  7. TheRambler

TheRambler Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've been using a 1.7 double layer blackbird (not the xlc) for 8 years and I absolutely love it. I just recently picked up a dream hammock roaming gnome here on the trade blanket which is very similar to the blackbird xlc. Hope to give it a good test period this year.

Moe M., Broke, Kreger and 1 other person like this.
  8. Newtown Mark

Blog Posts:
    I did experiment with a much less expensive hammock before pulling the trigger on the WBRR. By that point in time, I was pretty sure a bridge style was the way to go for me. But I could not find any inexpensive bridge style hammocks. The good news, and the reason I'm practicing with it daily, is that WB offers a 60 day money back guarantee. At this point, I'm 99% certain I'm going to keep it.

Broke, CivilizationDropout and Kreger like this.
  9. Saddleburr

Saddleburr Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The Ridge Runner was my first hammock. Great choice. If you have the two layer version, one of your insulated sleeping pads will work very well for bottom insulation. Just slip the pad between the layers. I have used sleeping bags, under quilts, top quilts, sleeping pads, and have found a couple set ups that work well for me. You will too.

10. Newtown Mark

Blog Posts:
    I bought the double layer and hung it the other day with a closed cell pad between the layers. Worked really well. Just waiting for a little warmer weather to try an overnight.

Broke and CivilizationDropout like this.
  11. DiverJosh30

DiverJosh30 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I still want to do the hammock thing myself. I've owned a Hennessy explorer deluxe for many years. I've camped in it a bunch of times too. I just don't find it comfortable enough all night. What I mean is when I first get in it it's awesome but after a while I don't like it. I'm a toss and turner at night. And rolling around in it just messes up sleeping gear, induces sway which I don't like, and ultimately ends up waking me up. Also I sleep on my side a lot in the position of a chalk line body outline, arms and legs going every which way which is also difficult. I theorize though that the ridge runner would be more comfy to my wacky style of sleeping. I just wish I could try one before buying it.

12. J.Deering

J.Deering Scout

Blog Posts:
    The Ridgerunner is excellent. Brandon over there at Warbonnet stands behind his product. I especially love how the lynx series underquilts, designs specifically for the WBRR fit perfectly.. absolutely no fiddling like underquilts on a gathered end hammock. Enjoy,

13. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sellers, Alabama, in South Montgomery County
    ridgerunner: i. love. mine. my son loves his ...

14. TheRambler

TheRambler Scout

Blog Posts:
    Brandon from Warbonnet offers a 60 day money back gurantee. If you try it and are unsatisfied/it doesn't work for you you can return it for a refund

CivilizationDropout likes this.
  15. Red Wing

Red Wing Guide

Blog Posts:
    I let a neighbor borrow mine and he moved without ever bringing it back.... But it's an incredible hammock. If I didn't backpack too and just kayaked I'd have replaced it

Funny enough though, my coldest, worst night ever in a hammock was with a ridge runner and an exped downmat7. Hammocking is definitely a constant learning experience but that's a great one to master.