Warning: Incoming tourist

Discussion in 'Arkansas' started by Seeker, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That rednecky area between Baltimore and Philly.
    Hey guys. Not exactly bushcrafty, but I've come to trust the opinions of the fine, upstanding members of this forum, and need some advice.

Wife and I want to come visit Arkansas this coming long weekend (16-19 JAN 15). I've been to Fort Chaffee but that kinda sucked and doesn't count. We're looking at staying near Arkadelphia (DeGray State Park and Resort), but need some ideas on other stuff to do while there. Wife is a day hiker, not a camper. I know we need to get "norther" to actually get into the mountains, but are there any good shorter (under 3 mile) hikes/walking trails you'd recommend?

Also would like to hear any first-hand reports from folks who've actually stayed there at the resort: is it actually worth staying there or would we be better off in Arkadelphia? Are there any cabin rental places we should look at instead (needs to have a bathroom at least, kitchen would be optional).

Any good/unique restaurant recommendations would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance!

2. mgraves

mgraves Tracker

Blog Posts:
    While the resort is nice, it's essentially a standard chain hotel kinda affair. Nothing at all wrong with the accommodations, but it's all rather generic, IMO. If you're wanting that, go on into Hot Springs and find a nice major hotel there.
    They do have Yurts for rent at the state park, but the missus probably wont go for that....

The area from Arkadelphia to north of Hot Springs is a huge tourist draw, and I'm willing to bet there are no less than 2 dozen cabin or cottage rental outfits in the area. Ranging from lake front to hill side locations. They tend to be geared towards families and "normal" folks, so they all generally have nice amenities, kitchens,tv, wifi, etc. Most even have dishes/utensils/etc, so all you need to bring is food. I would certainly recommend one of these over staying at the lodge.

As far as trails, there are a few short ones at the state park, they are essentially walking paths, good views of the lake though. The Ouachita National forest is close by, with hundreds of miles of trails to choose from. Some of the best hiking in the state, IMO. Trouble is just choosing which ones you wanna do.

If you haven't checked it out already, the BackPacking Arkansas forum has a lot of good, knowledgeable people on it that will certainly be able to help you pick out some short trail routes to get the most enjoyment out of your stay. I hope I've been of some help. Enjoy your trip!