Washing Dishes?

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by Cattle Bandit Lawson, Jul 21, 2019.

1. squishware

squishware Troubleshooter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I was staying in a house in Mexico with no running water for a while. I washed my pans with white vinegar, no rinse just dry. But Yeh, DOG FTW.

2. blind & lost

blind & lost LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Back in the day, when using a Sierra Cup, and camping by a swift moving stream, I'd tie some cordage to the handle, tie it off, and throw it in the stream. Next morning clean cup! Now boil some water in pot, wipe out with paper towels, sand works too.

Jim L. and Cattle Bandit Lawson like this.
  3. aaronu

aaronu Armchair Bushcrafter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    For cast iron I use the chain mail ringer linked in an earlier post. On that one at least, the rings are smooth and don't seem to hurt my old Wagner skillets or my newer Lodge stuff. A few times I took a Lodge plastic scraper. That works good if I have lots of burnt-on crud and not a lot of water or fire. And which implies I screwed up a meal. Meh... it happens. When packing in, I cook simple stuff partly for that reason. I am not a chef.

For other stuff often I just wipe it out with a bit of water on a bandana or MSR packtowl. Or a scotchbrite, I carried half of one on a lot of hikes. For greasy or messy foods are on the menu I will have a little bottle of Dr. Bronner's or Campsuds.

But I'm liking the mini soap bar idea. Maybe something natural like JR Liggett shampoo bars.

Jim L. and Staleym like this.
  4. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    There's a fine line between burnt on crud and fond ;)

aaronu and Jim L. like this.
  5. Ithica

Ithica Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Jim L. likes this.
  6. Cattle Bandit Lawson

Cattle Bandit Lawson Scout

Blog Posts:
    really good insight, so much wisdom of such a simple yet overlooked chore. leaving your cup tied in the stream is brilliant! I always felt that having my pot hanging in a bear bag was a sure fire way to attract bears, but no pan and low odor dry foods is smart.
    I'm ordering a stainless steel ring scrubby, seems like the type of thing I can swirl water with in a cup and close to good. I have seen on youtube's cheaprvliving that van dwellers prefer wiping out their cook ware with alcohol and paper towels, vinegar seems much more cost effective and sterile. I'm trying to get away from paper towels though.

Dish washing scout badge achieved!

7. DuctTape

DuctTape Scout

Blog Posts:
    the best ever for me is pine duff. It soaks up grease and other liquid, is mildly abrasive, leaves the pot dry, and burns up nicely. I use this immediately when done with my cooking/eating. I large handful is usually enough. When done, a quick wipe with a bandana will remove any stray pine needle particles. It' amazing. I use this even with a skillet used to fry fish. Try it, you will never use a sponge, brillo, sand or water again.

Jim L. and aaronu like this.
  8. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    That's interesting. I'll have to give that a try. :)