Water Filtration Bag for Sawyer filter

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by Sawdustdave, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Sawdustdave

Sawdustdave Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have the 1 gal sawyer bag, and really don't like it. It doesn't roll up well enough for me. So, I was wondering if there isn't a better way. Another suitable bag to hold up to a gallon of water, connect to my filter, roll up small, and make me happy.

Suggestions? Thanks!

Pharmer, Bobsdock, BBizy and 2 others like this.
  2. Jacob

Jacob Guide

Blog Posts:
    The sawyer 1/2 gallon and platypus 2 liter both have the smaller diameter lids and fold up pretty small. Because the sawyers use oddball thread spacing *i think* an adapter is needed for the more standard bottles. Both bags have a section of plastic on their base that you can punch holes in to hang upside down. I’ll check later if the platypus will seal without the adapter, never tried it as I use the little bags backpacking and gravity filter out of the gallon size on family camp trips.

One solution is to get two sections of tubing and siphon out of whatever bag suits you fancy.

Hope this helps

E3EA04BB-0A51-45EE-B988-A3F3D7A59749.jpeg

9A0260C1-F81E-4830-8DFE-B4245CF1E2F4.jpeg

5A2FB259-C100-4204-A9CC-649ED363381C.jpeg

3. Bob_Spr

Bob_Spr Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  4. Oldhorse

Oldhorse Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    CNOC bags on Amazon. Wide open top for filling, more flexible bag material rolls down easily. I have the 2 liter size

Todd1hd, Unistat76, Bobsdock and 3 others like this.
  5. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    CNOC is what I use, top opens up wide for easy fill, and cleaning. strong, soft material that rolls up tight for easy packing.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  6. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I too hate the Sawyer bags. Seem to leak on me alot.

This thread interests me.
    Tagging

Todd1hd, Bobsdock and BBizy like this.
  7. Sawdustdave

Sawdustdave Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks! The CNOC and 5col both look workable. Just don't like the sawyer gallon bag.

Todd1hd, Unistat76, Pharmer and 3 others like this.
  8. TheRambler

TheRambler Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have 8 of the platy collapsible bottles. They all fit on the sawyer without leaking. A simple garden hose washer will stop most leaks if you have a bottle that isnt a great fit.

Jacob and Pharmer like this.
  9. Pharmer

Pharmer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I’ve seen some people modify a drybag and use the sawyer in line (hose above and below the filter). The bag can be rolled up when not in use and you still get a large capacity bag of water for in camp if that was what you were going for initially. I know some of the large capacity bags have the filter built into the bottom of the bag and it results in a bulky system.

A msr dromedary bag is another option, but they’re heavy, durable though.

10. woodsranger

woodsranger Solitude Seeker

Blog Posts:
    That's pretty cool. Will it work by squeezing the bag or hanging it as a gravity filter? I mean, work as well as the normal method of just screwing the bag to the filter? Does the hose effect the flow? Looks like it could be done with an even shorter piece of hose as well since it's just being used as an alternate connection method.

Looks good!

Jacob likes this.
  11. RiceOnSuede

RiceOnSuede Scout

Blog Posts:
    Cnoc is my favorite too.
    Just an FYI guys, forget what year but platypus chamged their thread pattern amd no longer fit the sawyer filters. That the reason people have been switching to the evernew bags because their threads are a match.

Oldyeller, Todd1hd and Jacob like this.
  12. Jacob

Jacob Guide

Blog Posts:
    I haven’t tried using the platypus in place of the sawyer bag, don’t see why it wouldn’t work if the threads seal. I’ve gravity fed into the platypus quite a bit. Even with the filter up near the dirty water bag and the hose below it provides suction instead of pressure and works the same either way. Doesn’t seem to matter where the filter is with such a small diameter hose as long as there’s a bit of drop in the system. With that length hose it’ll filter a 1/2 gal. In five minutes or so.

@RiceOnSuede pointed out that platypus changed their threads at some point so I’m not sure the adapter will work with the newer ones. Sounds like there are better options out there.

woodsranger likes this.
  13. Todd1hd

Todd1hd Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Another vote for CNOC

14. Oldyeller

Oldyeller Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Nice thread everyone, I'm glad to see others didn't like the 1 gallon bag.I almost bought the 1 gallon gravity filter, but Sawyer recently started saleing the double threaded mini by itself, so I decided to just buy it for $23 and wait until I found a large bag I like more.

I think I'll be buying a CNOC 2 liter bladder soon.I like that it has red on it, I just finished putting some red electrical tape on a Sawyer 32oz bag to mark it as a dirty bag, red reminds me of clay naturally.

woodsranger likes this.
  15. allfatherodin

allfatherodin Scout

Blog Posts:
    MSR Dromedary. Heavy duty, not thaaat expensive, and have built in straps so you can hang them from a tree. They even sell nozzles to turn them into showers.

16. Oldyeller

Oldyeller Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I love the CNOC bag, I'm definetly buying more.

I've had a solar shower on my mind lately, I was thinking about buying this kit.

https://www.amazon.com/Simple-Showe...shower&qid=1566170728&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-3

Today I had the time to experiment with bottle caps, I drilled about 20 pin holes in a mountain dew bottle cap.It only had a 6" spread but it does shower, it ran a full minute without a single gurgle.I used the blue and grey Sawyer adapters so I had a hose, the shower cap fits on the grey one.

All I really need for a solar shower now is a shutoff valve and another CNOC bag to catch my filtered water.

17. Oldyeller

Oldyeller Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've been messing around with shower heads all night.I have a clock in my bathroom near the sink, I can only get 2.5 liters in the CNOC bag using that sink, but i got a 1:45 out of 2.5 liters after using a smaller drill bit.A pin drill with bits is only $5 on ebay if anyone wants to mess around with this.

I was also able to spread out the diameter larger then a basketball.I drilled the holes closest to the edge at a 70* angle, then 85*, then 90 in the center.It honestly works great, I'll be really happy with this shower after I add a shut off valve.

Attached Files:

Paulyseggs likes this.
  18. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thats pretty useful and neat!:dblthumb: