Water Purification

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by sgtdave4321, Aug 13, 2019.

1. sgtdave4321

sgtdave4321 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I was hoping for some recommendarions. I have had a MSR Sweat Water for a few years. While I was recently looking for a replacement bottle of their water purification solution I saw that the Sweat Water was discontinued. What systems do you use / recommend? What kind of purification drops/tabs do you reccommend? I also have a Sawyer mini, but that is mainly for emergency or back up use. I like the Sweat Wtaer because of the abilty to pump and filter greater amounts of water. Thanks!

Bobsdock, freebirdfb and MrFixIt like this.
  2. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Katadyn filters are often spoke of here.
    I’ve only used the Sawyer mini myself.

3. woodsranger

woodsranger Solitude Seeker

Blog Posts:
  4. Terasec

Terasec Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have katadyn hiker pro
    Great unit
    About size weight of a soda can
    I fill 2l bladder without a problem
    Mine is about 15 yrs old and still works great

beacon, Primordial, Bobsdock and 3 others like this.
  5. Rich_S

Rich_S Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The backpacking world moved away from pumps and towards squeeze setups a few years back.

The Sawyer Squeeze has been the standard, but the Katadyn BeFree has caught up to it and possibly surpassed it in popularity recently. Both are good choices.

Bobsdock, MrFixIt and freebirdfb like this.
  6. erik the red

erik the red Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I also used the MSR Sweetwater pump filter for many years before it was discontinued; then I switched to the Miniworks purifier, which I still use occasionally. Typically anymore I use the Platypus Gravityworks system and have been quite happy with it. Easy to clean in the field, fast filtration, and large capacity for bigger groups. For tabs I have used Aquamira chlorine dioxide, Chlor-Floc military packets, and good ole sodium hypochlorite (non-scented bleach) or iodine, all with good results.

Bobsdock likes this.
  7. Spork

Spork Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My Sweetwater failed a couple weekends ago. Luckily I had anticipated that and purchased a new setup to take along...I just wanted to to use up the last Sweetwater cartridge that I had.

I chose the 2-liter Platypus Gravityworks - https://www.rei.com/product/849794/platypus-gravityworks-water-filter-system-kit-2-liter - partly because I have Platypus bladders and bottles. I was a bit worried about on-the-go filtering, but it processes 2 liters pretty quickly. I'm pretty happy with my choice. Packed size is comparable to a Sweetwater...maybe slightly lighter.

Bobsdock likes this.
  8. Bobsdock

Bobsdock So long, and thanks for all the fish Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a pur hiker pro pump style filter it works good you have to buy a new filter for it about once a year.
    I switched to a sawyer squeeze to save pack space and weight. It works good.

Nether one of them is perfect.

BBizy and Primordial like this.
  9. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Here is a review on a Katadyn Hiker filter I did: https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/katadyn-hiker-review-10-years-and-still-going.209483/

The Katadyn is bulkier than the more modern squeeze systems, but it's way more durable and fool proof, IMO.

Swamp Pirate and woodsranger like this.
  10. Woodsman Wannabe

Woodsman Wannabe Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm confused. Almost sounds like you are planning to dispose of your Sweetwater system just because it is no longer produced. As long as it works for you and you can get filters & drops, why not keep it?
    Maybe I am mis-reading this and you are just looking to the future.