Water Stones

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Luzster, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Luzster

Luzster Of course your opinion matters, just not to me... Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Where ave these been all my life?!?!?!?!

Bought this set (LINK) from Amazon for $46.99 delivered (with Prime). They arrived yesterday and I did a couple of tests with them.

Did a Mora Black that I loaned to a friend who tried to sharpen it without knowing what a scandi grind is and put a secondary bevel on it. Used these stones to correct the bevel back to a true scandi and they worked extremely well!!

Had an old beater knife that a very bad convex bevel. Used these to take it back to a traditional cutting bevel and again they worked extremely well.

Tried to touch up a Opinel on them and well.... need to work on my technique on this knife. Since the blade is already super thin which makes the bevel really thin, I have to work on getting the angle right. No slam on the stones, this one was just me.

Tried in on my Buck Mesa and another success.

Most of you know that I kinda suck at sharpening to begin with. But using waterstones and being able to go back and forth across the stones helps me to keep the same angle on the blade. When using a traditional stone, every time I lift the knife off the stone and bring it back to the stone for the next push, I wold always get a different angle. Being able to go back and forth on the water stone, it is so much easier to keep the same angle on the blade.

Only down side is trying to figure out how to keep the slurry that builds up off the handle of the knife. I have an idea that I am going to try later on today. I'll let y'all know it it was a success or not.

I have never used the more expensive stones so I can't give a comparison with regards to quality and such. But these are well worth the money in my book! Even though the wife keeps giving my crap for buying "rocks"!!!

Sittingbear, HP500, Bobsdock and 6 others like this.
  2. gdwigg

gdwigg Scout

Blog Posts:
    That's a nice looking set, thanks for sharing your first results. I'm sure you'll get that Opinel figured out soon.

Bobsdock likes this.
  3. Luzster

Luzster Of course your opinion matters, just not to me... Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Just did my buddies 3v pocket knife and they worked very well. This thing wouldn't even tear paper let alone cut it. After 30'ish minutes using the 1, 3 and 8k stones its back to cutting paper and mire or less shaving hair. Could probably do another 20 minutes on the 3 and 8k stones and have it razor sharp. But, he's as hard or harder then me on knives so I'm gonna go with where its at for now.

Also did my Cima and happy with the outcome as well.

Still have to get the technique down with holding the same and the proper angle for each stroke. But these stones are making it very easy to get the right feel and the right pressure!

Bobsdock likes this.
  4. cbrianroll

cbrianroll Professional Tinkerer Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Cool man. Putting them in my cart right now

Bobsdock and Luzster like this.
  5. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    Good water stones are incredibly effective.. I too find that being able to use a back-forth motion across a whole stone is far superior to using smaller stones and needing to lift off and go back to the top, getting the same angle again... ugh. no.

LarryB, Bobsdock and Luzster like this.