Wavian Jerry Cans

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by Draketake, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Draketake

Draketake Guide

Blog Posts:
    Evening all,

Anyone have experience with ordering the 5.3 gallon Jerry Cans from Wavian USA? Any thoughts ( pros and cons ) on the Jerry Can itself? They are on sale now for 79.00, at their website. This includes free shipping.

Thank you in advance, for any and all help.

Bob

gohammergo and central joe like this.
  2. Skeptiksks

Skeptiksks Green Haired Weirdo Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I've always wanted one. Don't know how much these go for, but that seems very expensive for a gas can (basically) if I'm wrong, educated me please

NevadaBlue and central joe like this.
  3. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have several Jerry cans and use them all the time. Biggest detractor is that they tip over easier than a round can. I have three or four screw on spouts, and also one with a narrow spout that will fit modern vehicles too.

NevadaBlue likes this.
  4. Draketake

Draketake Guide

Blog Posts:
    Skep, the Wavians are expensive. However, it appears they are very well designed and about as bulletproof as you can get. The way the Wavian spout attaches and then pours, looks to be spill proof. I absolutely hate spilling gas on my vehicle or my clothes, especially if I am camping or hunting.

The Wavian spout/breather hole design, dumps 5 gallons of fuel, in about 1 minute. I am fortunate to own a decades old, "Blitz", Jerry Can. However, it takes me about 5 minutes to empty its contents. Ive got the breather hole, on the Blitz, but it just drizzles out fuel.

The older I get, the less strong I am. Thus it is getting more awkward for me to use the "Blitz" Jerry Can. In other words, I can lift and pour, 5 gallons for a minute. Dumping the "Blitz" I have to take a few breaks.

gohammergo the Wavian also comes with a spout and an adapter. It is thus able to be used on all vehicles.

Please keep the information coming. It helps me form my opinion. I know the knowledge depth on this site is deep.

Thanks again.

Be safe.

Bob

5. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have four and I like them, I bought the wrench to tighten down the caps and have no issues throwing the cans into my truck.

NevadaBlue likes this.
  6. Draketake

Draketake Guide

Blog Posts:
    xray thanks for the info.

Are you talking about the water cans? I think those are the Wavian cans, that use a wrench.

I am looking at maybe buying a gas can. On those, the spout attaches on/off via a flip up locking mechanism. Take the spout off and the cap flips shut. A locking pin through the cap, adds another layer of security.

Be safe.

Bob

gohammergo and NevadaBlue like this.
  7. atlastrekker

atlastrekker Supporter Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I have some of the military Spectre cans, similar but not the same. The only complaint I have about them is that the lid can be a pain to get off when the can is sitting in the sun or after it has cooled off. It creates a vacuum inside and it's hard to break. This cans lid seems better, but it is also more complicated.

One thing that I learned is that I never pour fuel into my truck any more from any gas can. I use a siphon hose and it eliminates all the issues with spilling for the most part and is much safer.

Good luck with your search, let us know what you think if you get one.

NevadaBlue likes this.
  8. Draketake

Draketake Guide

Blog Posts:
    atlas,

Ffunny you mention siphoning. I decided this morning to give that a try. Evidently theres some siphon hose you can buy, that has a check valve so you dont swallow any gas. Ill have to try one. The only think worse than gas on you is when its in you.

The Spectre is plastic yes? Im kinda partial to metal right now. I am hell on everything.

Be safe.

Bob

atlastrekker and NevadaBlue like this.
  9. JMHAZ

JMHAZ Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've been using NATO-style jerry cans, as typified by the Wavian, for 30 years on several continents. Believe me, they are worth the money. The lever top is absolutely leak-proof; you can carry it upside down if you like. Where Blitz cans are crimped around the base, NATO cans are perimeter-welded and can't seep. I never used a Sceptre can that didn't leak around the lid when ambient temperatures heated the contents; that's why people use special wrenches to tighten them. Not necessary with the NATO can. And indeed they do empty quickly thanks to an effective breather in the spout. The two on my FJ40 are over 20 years old and still functioning perfectly.
    [​IMG]

10. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have 4 tan Scepters for diesel and two green ones for gasoline. (Gave 2 of the green ones to one of my sons) EXPENSIVE but worth it IMO. My green ones are used, the tan ones new... If you get the wrench for the lid and the pour spout, these are the best made, IMO.
    I use a couple of similar jugs for water. Black, made in England.

They are plastic, but you can’t kill them unless you put them in the campfire.

[​IMG]

I wouldn’t buy a metal can ever again after having these.

I do have one of those siphon hoses with the check valve, and it works great. But, with the hoses that work with these, (spouts, flexible) they fit anything and are very easy to use with no spill. Even for an old guy like me...

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    atlastrekker, Draketake and J. Pierce like this.
  11. KittySlayer

KittySlayer Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have two Wavians and am thinking about a couple more. Just rotated my gas this past weekend and am still pleased with them. Tight seal on lid, very well made, pours well. Filled my truck with ten gallons from two cans without a spill. On the expensive side but they should last the rest of my life.

Got mine from
    http://www.lexingtoncontainercompany.com

Draketake and NevadaBlue like this.
  12. Draketake

Draketake Guide

Blog Posts:
    Good info all. Thank you for sharing.

atlastrekker likes this.
  13. atlastrekker

atlastrekker Supporter Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    These are the kind I use.

The one that I use has a bulb like you would use to prime an outboard motor. It works pretty good.

Plastic might could be as strong as the metal, but I am not sure about that. The Sceptre cans are pretty stout.

Awesome FJ40! If that's not some good first hand knowledge, I don't know what is.

JMHAZ likes this.