Wearing a mtn bike helmet saved me.

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by boomchakabowwow, Jul 10, 2018.

1. boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow Guide

Blog Posts:
    July 3rd.

riding up a trail to burn some calories before a bbq party. i was meeting a new friend at the lake. slow burn, uphill grind. i think there is one or two small downhill sections, good for a breather. on one of these gentle grades down, a wasp decided to fly into my eye socket. i took my left hand and brushed him away. a millisecond later, i hit a rock and crashed big time.

it was like a full body slam against the earth. i was writhing in pain on the ground, trying to catch my breath. i few riders went past, no offer of help (?!!)

finally a rider came to my assistance. he helped me up and figured nothing was broken. he checked my bike and i rode down the hill. every pedal stroke, my left knee ballooned up. another kind soul helped me load my bike on my truck and i drove home. SLOOOOWWW!

at home, my wife took one look and drove me to the ER. i didnt take my helmet with me. i should have! anyways, HEAD CT, body X-rays, and wound care. i had a minor concussion, whiplash, and a fracture knee cap. when i got home showered gingerly, and went to sleep. the painkiller and muscle relaxants knocked me out. i woke up and looked at my helmet. i almost started crying. there was a big dent in the frontal lobe. that thing probably saved me my quality of life at a minimum.

i emailed the company to thank them for a great lid, and asked if they wanted it for research. they said to send it in and they will replace it for free!! i wear a KALI helmet. what a great grass-roots company.

i am OKAY. i ruined my Machu Pichuu 4 day hike up the Inca Trail for sure. my travel agent changed things around to some day trips. i get to take a train up to meet the group after they do the adventurous hike.

i refuse to get down. i lost money on the trip. i cant hike it..i am in a knee brace and my Sept Elk hunt is in Peril. but i am alive!!

wear those helmets folks. ironically the one guy that finally stopped to help. he was helmet-less. he looked at my face and blood and i think i converted him to a helmet guy!!

2. boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow Guide

Blog Posts:
    C2E2C16A-0083-44E4-93B8-DD2A6C6053F6.jpeg I’m
    Calling this the “Iron Maiden”. On the bright side; I’m wearing shorts to work all summer long. Yes!

3. EternalLove

EternalLove Guide

Blog Posts:
    Good thing you wearing it. I always wear gloves too. I know it's been hot out there. I'm sure you'll heal up fine. Enjoy the sevece.

recycled365, rsnurkle, Broke and 4 others like this.
  4. GGTBod

GGTBod Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Very good advice there, i have also had my life saved by a cycle helmet and i also have pictures of the crash as the race photographer knew the little hill i crashed on was notorious and was stalking it out with his camera on tripod waiting for idiots like me, before this crash i used to just wear my helmet when doing what i seen as more dangerous mtb action like downhill and trick parks, after this event i wear one even if i am just popping to the shop, in fact i am totally helmet obsessed come to think on it as i have 4 different cycle helmets and 3 different kayaking helmets, you can't go out and hyave fun and adventures if you don't come back from your current one.

The outside of my helmet just had a single contact point mark but inside the foam cell infrastructure (skate/street style helmet with a solid internal thick padding layer instead of the race style weight saving regular style cycle helmet) had a split from just above my ear up to the crown of my skull cap and when you flexed the helmet it opened like a San Andreas fault line in a disaster movie, i had a moderate concussion and a dislocated shoulder.

The pictures :4:

407712_468920786493079_9261503_n.jpg Over the Top.jpg First Contact.jpg

I second your sagely wisdom, gonna do dangerous shit then do it with as much safety as it allows, helmets are cheap as chips, brain surgery is not :4:

beacon, rsnurkle, dreamin and 17 others like this.
  5. twotreesjoe

twotreesjoe Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Glad you're okay!

We live off grid in the mountains and a few years back when we had mules and mammoth jack stock I would take them out and stake them to graze. My wife worked out and I was always home alone and she'd been after to me to wear a helmet when I rode out. Now this is backwoods mountain man country and I wasn't crazy about looking the wuss but it made sense. I only had a bicycle helmet but I was wearing it when my mule acted up and tossed me off. Wasn't hurt but when I looked at the helmet there was a big gouge on it and I found a nice white plastic mark on a rock where my head it. Sure could have been bad, thanks Babe!

6. stillman

stillman Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Very glad you were wearing the helmet and that you have such a good outlook on the trips. It is good to be alive and healthy.

My helmet saved me a couple of years ago. I don't ride without one.

7. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Helmets and seatbelts. I'd rather be a dork than a vegetable.

Seatbelt saved me. Walked (well crawled, but still!) From a crash. Years later I still feel the pain BUT I have years !!! Sure beats the alternative..

8. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sellers, Alabama, in South Montgomery County
    Mercy ...

Broke and boomchakabowwow like this.
  9. Watcher of the Woods

Watcher of the Woods Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Glad you're okay brother! Similar thing happened to a friend of mine's kid. Do you have a pictures of the helmet?

10. boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow Guide

Blog Posts:

not a very good one. i had a hard time capturing the dent on a white helmet.

Attached Files:

rsnurkle and Broke like this.
  11. Philly-Billy

Philly-Billy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for posting this. If it changes one mind, it is worth your fall.

Glad you are healing.

rsnurkle, Broke and boomchakabowwow like this.
  12. Watcher of the Woods

Watcher of the Woods Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Still can tell... Glad you're okay-ish!

Broke and boomchakabowwow like this.
  13. Oni

Oni Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have 2 friends who probably had their lives saved by helmets.

One went over the bars on a tricky single track section and hit his head on an exposed root. When we stopped, he was conscious but a little shaken up. When he took off his helmet we saw it was destroyed. The shell was all that was holding the basic shape. The liner was in a bunch of pieces. It did what it was designed to do. He didn’t always wear a helmet, but we nagged at him that day. He always wears one now.

rsnurkle, Broke and boomchakabowwow like this.
  14. ra2bach

ra2bach Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I never wore a bicycle helmet but always wore a motorcycle helmet. until one day I read a statistic enough force is generated to pierce the human skull by contact with an object like the cap on a fire hydrant at 10MPH!

that's only 3 times walking speed, more like coasting on a bike. if that doesn't get your attention, I don't know what will...

15. Zunga

Zunga Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Glad you were not more seriously hurt. I've had a few crashes that were sheer luck to walk away from. The wasp really grabbed my attention. When I was very little, maybe 5. The training wheels had come off. I had been trying intermittently all day. Get going and crash. Go cry to mom and try again later. It was fall and nearing dusk. I got going for real and was really excited. Then a bumble bee landed on my neck and stung me. Needless to say I hit the pavement once again. So you are not alone in this particular cause of crash. Years ago a buddy and I took a new rider out on his first trail ride. We stuck to kiddy trails and played it safe. There was a log ride about 6 inches wide with a mesh top. 163 paces by my count. It was 3 ft off the ground at its highest. Buddy and I chose to go around. The new guy rode the whole length to our surprise. He for some reason grabbed his front break hard at the end. He went over the bars landed on his back. He collapsed a lung and cracked his helmet pretty good. We called 911 dumped the bikes and walked him out to the trail head. We got him in the ambulance and went back for the bikes. The paramedic insisted on bringing his helmet. We had briefly inspected it. But were more concerned about his breathing. The doctors found the cracks. A mild concussion was the result. He's a big dude. 6 ft 7 300 plus pounds. That kind of force on a exposed dome would have killed mostly likely.
    Cheers Jim

16. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    If your going to do stupid stuff at least be smart and wear the "doing stupid stuff equipment"
    We were testing a hydrologic system on a snow cat 6000 psi . I stood back about 6' and was watching for leaks as my coworker brought up the RPM and pressure .
    Then "POW", the hose burst, hitting me with hot hydraulic fluid in the face and 30 feet up the wall as well. Fortunately I was wearing safety glasses . Though the hot oil left a red mark on my face from the impact, my eyes were completely safe . PPEs pay off big time .
    I wear helmets too both for work and at home , the few times you get boped in the head make it worth the minor inconvenience/investment .
    I have had only minor spills on the motorcycle ,no damage to the helmet, but glad never the less, having that margin of safety .
    I got in the habit of wearing gloves in Search and Rescue working the land, riding the bike, that I wear gloves driving the car and truck as well, reason being that if there is an accident I am some how involved in, there is no time to dawn the gloves dealing with an emergency . Hot asphalt is a given , broken glass is a given, sharp sheet metal is a given , fire is a given.
    Good leather gloves endure most events with at least a margin of safety , synthetic gloves, not so much.

17. boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow Guide

Blog Posts:
    somebody above mentioned GLOVES. i wear full finger mtn bike gloves. despite that i cut my ring finger down the side in this crash. the gloves look okay. i can imagine my hands if i didnt have gloves.

i own knee pads. i am gonna buy better ones and ADD elbow pads to all my rides. i need ones that are better ventilated. (so i wear them!)

i cannot jog. i dont have the knees for it. riding is the only DIFFICULT exercise i get. it is holding back aging somewhat for me. my blood number remain great, and my BP is steady. i exercise under doctors orders..hahahha..irony!!

rsnurkle, Broke and americanstrat98 like this.
  18. americanstrat98

americanstrat98 Wanderer Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Yes, yes and another yes.

My Bell helmet saved me in a bicycle wreck when I was 17. I was sprinting at the end of a race, and a dog broke free from the owner's leash to chase the lead sprinter. I was second and gaining fast, but managed to hit the brakes. When we collided I was rolling at 37mph. I flipped and landed directly on the top of my helmet. My front forks broke, the wheel taco'd, and my helmet was left in three peices. Walked away with cracked clavicles, but otherwise I was okay. My cycling jersey also prevented serious road rash and I still wear that jersey 17 years later.

Was also in a motorcycle crash when I was 19. High sided and landed on my face and hands/knees. My gear saved me from an ER trip. My helmet was worn down to the foam, my gloves were chewed, and my riding pants were toast. I only had minor aches afterwards from hitting the pavement at 42mph.

I've wrecked litteraly hundreds of times in dirt single track on a motorcycle, always without injury. Thanks to all my gear from all these years of playing on two wheels I only have a trick wrist that likes to lock up at wierd moments. Otherwise I'm relatively healthy. Don't ask for my sanity though, crazy people don't know they are crazy. :confused:

rsnurkle, Oni, Broke and 2 others like this.
  19. Pastor Chris

Pastor Chris Keeper of the T.Darrah Tenkara Pass-Around Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Hardwoodsman Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I managed a bicycle shop for 20 years and cannot relate how many personal experiences we had with folks being saved form serious injury with a simple, well-fit helmet.

Two things to add to all of the above, make sure it is within date; the foam that helmets are made of, and that absorbs the shock, begins to deteriorate immediately after it is molded. All helmets have a sticker inside with the manufacturing date. It gets drier and drier and loses its shock absorbing capabilities with time. Most manufacturers recommend 3-5 years of life span, even if it has been sitting on the shelf in it's box. ! sold crash warrants a new one. Old helmets are dry and brittle and nearly useless.

The most important thing is that it is fit properly!!! Ive seen so many people wearing their helmets back on their head or with the straps dangling and that just doesn't cut it in an off.

One of the things that you get from a more expensive helmet, meaning bike-shop grade vs big box store grade, is more sizes/options and most importantly, someone who is experienced in fitting them to help you. That was a constant task at the shop; fitting helmets for customers. I cannot stress this aspect enough.

Thanks for the post.

20. DavidJAFO

DavidJAFO Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are."
    hello,
    :34:ouch! Yeah.. look on the bright side the 'Iron Maiden' with the MOLLE ( MOdular Lightweight Load-carrying Equipment) straps you could pimp that rig to carry all-sorts of attachments of various MOLLE-compatible pouches, accessories & Bushcraft kit. :D
    Regards
    David
    GET WELL SOON Bro!!

Broke likes this.
  21. boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow Guide

Blog Posts:
    the thought has crossed my mind!! hahaha.

DavidJAFO and Broke like this.
  22. GreenFrog

GreenFrog In the Forest Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    Ouch. helmets and pfds. just wear em. Glad you are ok.

rsnurkle, Oni and Broke like this.
  23. Fat Old Man

Fat Old Man Perpetual Student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Wow! Thank God you were wearing the brain bucket! Praying for rapid healing and a complete recovery.

Oni and Broke like this.
  24. Chevrolet4x4s

Chevrolet4x4s Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Get well soon. I cracked up a Bell helmet at about 14, hit a 2" gravel at 10-12mph faceplanted into the pavement tore the knee out of my pants,toe out of my shoe,skinned up my arms and my watch, and skinned up my face pretty good, all because the heathens had a rock fight.
    Shane

25. dreamin

dreamin Scout

Blog Posts:
  26. beacon

beacon Simul justus et peccator Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I never ride without a helmet; on-road, off-road...wherever. The kids think it's lame, but I don't care.

27. NJStricker

NJStricker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Glad you’re okay!

I blew out my patellar tendon in college and wore one of those braces for 8 months.