Weekend In The Dacks At Our camp

Discussion in 'Outings, Trips & Expeditions' started by CosmicJoke, Sep 8, 2019.

1. CosmicJoke

CosmicJoke Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Headed out late Friday morning for a weekend in the lower ADK's at the camp My buddy and I made on his parents land.

I got up there around 1PM, my buddy already had his gear set up. I had my tent up, my gear set up, and ready to enjoy the weekend by 2.

We talked for a bit, then I ate my lunch which was a couple beef sticks and a cheese stick.

Then I staged the wood for the first nights fire, and tested my budget folding saw.

Then I gave my bro the knife I bought him, and we had a small chat about that knife and my personal experience with it. He loved the knife and appreciated that I thought of him and I explained what this knife will and will not do.

Dinner time- I made home made clili-mac on Thursday for us to have Friday. I also put the dry ingredients together to make garlic bannock Thursday. I made the bannock and we heated up the clili-mac. First time my bro has had bannock, and he liked it. I used my one burner propane stove to make the bannock and heat up my supper.

Then, time to make fire. Fat wood shavings, my ferro rod, and the SRK got it done.

Just after supper, some sunset catching on a pile of brush caught my eye. It looked like the brush was on fire ( it wasn't! ) near a tree behind my tent. So, I grab my phone to go get a pic. I get close enough to get the pic, then something catches my eye. The biggest porcupine I have ever seen strolls in and starts climbing the tree. I did not get a pic, and my video does not show the scale of this thing! It was HUGE! It looked more like a mid sized bear cub then a porcupine. It climbed the tree and stayed there. Not sure when it left, but it was well after we hit the rack.

Saturday morning, I woke up early, hit the wee-wee tree, then decided I was going on a bushy tail hunt. I didn't see any ( I didn't expect too ), but it was still a hunt, and I got some nice pics along my jaunt. I did a loop around our camp area, and honestly just enjoyed being out hunting.
    I get back to camp, make some coffee, and sorry, again head to the p-t. I spook two does out of the area I had just passed through. They weren't happy. They 'barked' ( if you don't know what that noise is, or haven't heard it, try a search, there may be some info about this noise a pissed off doe makes ) at me and ran a bit, but not far. I tried to reach in my pocket for my phone for a pic or maybe video, and when I shifted my weight, a snapped a twin, they barked at me again and were gone.
    We hiked, took some pics and video,
    In the afternoon I wanted to do some plinking cans with my 22LR. I found a nice stump with a down hill slope so we weren't sending rounds off into nothingness. The first ammo I used did not agree with my M&P. It would lock up and jam the rifle. I went back to camp and got my hunting ammo ( CCI Stingers!!!!!!), and my bro shot an AR style rifle for the first time. He loved it.
    Had an odd issue with plinking cans. The can really wasn't moving. I thought maybe I had bumped the rifle causing the red dot scope to be off. Low and behold, I was on point, and I was hitting the can, but the can wasn't moving.
    Back to camp, stage wood, get ready for dinner.
    Cooked up a couple steaks. Tried using that boil water and drop Uncle Bens Micro Rice in and it heats up, that was a huge fail!
    Ate our supper, and drank some beers.

I really needed this trip!

I had a great time, I took a ton of pictures, shot a ton of film, I just have to sort it all out. Resize the pics, and put a coherent video together..

As Soon as I get the pics scaled I will get them in this thread.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019 at 7:53 PM
  2. CosmicJoke

Blog Posts:
    Here's the first lot of pics I got scaled down for the site.

sp1.jpg
    sp2.jpg
    sp3.jpg
    sp4.jpg
    sp5.jpg
    sp6.jpg
    sp7.jpg
    sp8.jpg
    sp9.jpg
    sp10.jpg

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  3. CosmicJoke

Blog Posts:
    Lot 2

sp11.jpg
    sp12.jpg
    sp13.jpg

sp14.jpg
    sp15.jpg
    sp16.jpg
    sp19.jpg
    sp20.jpg
    sp21.jpg
    sp22.jpg

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  4. CosmicJoke

Blog Posts:
    sp23.jpg
    sp24.jpg
    Yes, that's a peacock feather. My buddy's father raises them.

sp25.jpg
    sp26.jpg
    sp27.jpg
    sp28.jpg
    sp30.jpg
    sp31.jpg
    sp32.jpg

5. CosmicJoke

Blog Posts:
    sp34.jpg
    sp35.jpg
    sp37.jpg

We really enjoyed this outing. I needed the solitude from not having any neighbors near me at all. We ate some good grub, walked the woods a lot, had some beers, shot the rifle, busted each others nads a bit, and had some serious talks about gun laws and politics.

I thought I had more pics, but not that came out great. I have to take time to create the full video from my clips, which is going to take some serious time.

6. CosmicJoke

Blog Posts:
    Here's the video. It ended up being pretty long, and I made a few cracks about bushcraft, I have an odd sense of humor sometimes. It was all meant in good natured ribbing.
    I did not beep out or cut the 'salty' language.
    There was a lot filmed that I really wasn't able to just take pics to get what was going on.
    Due to the length, if folks don't watch it's all good.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  7. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like you guys had a great time. :) Can't wait to see the pics.

8. AdirondackBadger

AdirondackBadger Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Glad you got out and had some time to unwind. Thanks for sharing.

9. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Midnight Joker #42 Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That area is one I must visit someday soon. Looking forward to seeing your full report. :)

MrFixIt, Winterhorse and CosmicJoke like this.
  10. CosmicJoke

Blog Posts:
    This area is pretty nice. It's private land so we never have to worry about others trotting by, or for the most part about anyone stealing things when we wander around.

We had toyed with the idea of heading to one of the lakes, but just decided to do a simple R&R with being in the woods, not in a car.

11. Denman

Denman Scout

Blog Posts:
  12. CosmicJoke

Blog Posts:
    I like that stuff too. Had it on another outing, in the yard, and at one point even lunch in the house.

MrFixIt and Winterhorse like this.
  13. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Looks like a wonderful place to chill out for a while. Thanks for the pictures.

MrFixIt and CosmicJoke like this.
  14. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Nice outing brother, thanks for sharing!

CosmicJoke likes this.
  15. CosmicJoke

Blog Posts:
    I figured out the ammo problem.
    I was using Aguila .22LR Colibri rounds. They are much shorter and not meant for semi-auto rifles, bolt action and revolvers. I gave both boxes I had to a neighbor.

Thank you.

Already planning a few trips back up for next year.