Weekend Of September 6-8

Discussion in 'New York' started by CosmicJoke, Jun 5, 2019.

1. CosmicJoke

CosmicJoke Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I mentioned in another thread I may be able to squeeze in a trip for early September. Here's what I am thinking for anyone who might be interested.

Thinking of hitting Charleston State Forest for the first weekend of September, 6-8. It's not as rough as hitting the Dacks or Cats, but has a few miles of trails for hiking, a few ponds for fishing, and I used to love going there just to set a small camp for a weekend. It's just under 2400 acres, and yes, there are roads that weave through the area, so there is a possibility of hearing traffic off in the distance.

My best friend has been bugging be about going there for about 7 years now ( because I talk about it a lot ), and now I have an itch myself.

Aside from having some places to fish, most of the small game seasons will be open by then and grey squirrel run amok in there.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/106921.html

I'm just putting this out there well in advance for anyone who might be interested.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  2. CosmicJoke

Blog Posts:
    Just an update to this one. Talking to my buddy briefly earlier this evening he might not be able to do the full weekend, so this may just be an over nighter. I want to Friday to Sunday, but what ever works for people will work for me.
    I will be out there early August to have a look around and see how grown up the areas I used to like and had some room to make a safe fire pit look. I will also try and look at a couple other areas.

3. CosmicJoke

Blog Posts:
    Location may be changing. Have to double check a couple things, but seriously thinking of a different spot with pretty much the same things going on, just not sure about the fishing.

4. CosmicJoke

Blog Posts:
    Location is changed. Cross between Cole Hill and Partridge Run. I will have the place chosen by Friday. But, due to some people/friends that have shown interest who are not on here I am leaning towards Cole Hill because it's not extreme but still has hunting and fishing open, and no issues with camping unless there is a no fire rule going on due to a major dry spell.

5. CosmicJoke

Blog Posts:
    So decided on location. Two of my buddies are in for this one that are OK doing the backwoods camping but don't know much about bushcraft, so maybe I can teach them a few things while out there.

Not disclosing the new location to the masses, if interested shoot me a PM for more details.

6. Jbradshaw

Jbradshaw Scout

Blog Posts:
    That is the weekend of my wife’s birthday and our wedding anniversary. I don’t think I’ll be going

7. CosmicJoke

Blog Posts:
    Understandable.