Western Wild fire, Forest fires

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by JD Miller, Aug 10, 2018.

1. JD Miller

JD Miller Scout

Blog Posts:
    Does anyone else live where there is a forest/ wild fire going on.

We have another local wild land fire going again , its up to 10,000 acres. in 3 days

2. Biker Bushcraft

Biker Bushcraft Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yep. Ferguson fire is about 20 miles, Donnell Fire is about 30 miles and there have been about a dozen smaller fires around us.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  3. caoutdoorsman

caoutdoorsman Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm in Norcal and got evacuated a while back due to a fire last season. Friends and family got evacuated this year, I always keep a suitcase with travel essentials so I can get out of dodge pretty quickly.

4. Calicoast

Calicoast Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I am here down in Southern California, South Orange County. There is one blazing in Santiago Canyon close to home. Sky looks really nasty.
    C

5. dads2vette

dads2vette Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    We've been very lucky in AZ so far this year and with the monsoons season in full swing maybe we'll stay lucky. It was anticipated to be much worse than last year with less than 1/2 the normal precipitation. Last summary report I saw was 1600 wildfires this year, 1700 last year, 137,000 acres burned this year, 405,000 acres burned last year to this date.

I'm on a bunch of different warning platforms. Being 10 miles off road makes you a little on edge at times. Those dry lightning storms are a blast!

dave

6. Bitterroot Native

Bitterroot Native Indigenous Skills Junkie

Blog Posts:
    It has been smoky here for well over a month! I'm getting SO sick of living in a haze of wood smoke... Probably not going to clear up for another month or two :eek:.

I want to escape it but there's nowhere to go. I tried to get above the smoke but even at 6000 ft it is still smokey. I'm seriously considering climbing a 10,000 ft peak to see if I can get above it.

7. ColterCarsonAshley

ColterCarsonAshley Tracker

Blog Posts:
  8. JD Miller

JD Miller Scout

Blog Posts:
    Calicoat, check out the photo of the Holy fire over in Lake Elsinore. Very nasty fire. Im Just south of it. They had the 747, DC 10 , 727, many other smaller fixed wing and helicopters going at dark last night. It realy flared up again. I hope they stopped it and ortega hwy. North, I heard its all the way to Toms Farm off the I15

Scroll through the pics at the middle of the link page
    http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-holy-fire-20180810-story.html

caoutdoorsman likes this.
  9. Calicoast

Blog Posts:
    CRAZY: I was just watching Fox news where they were showing all the drops. It's been really hot here lately, Lake Elsinore hotter than where I live. Thoughts and prayers going out to those affected, and the brave firemen and women on the front lines.
    C

10. Calicoast

Blog Posts:
    Been so caught up with work lately, didnt realize how bad it was. I just texted my friend who just bought a house next to Toms farms. Hoping everything is alright. C

caoutdoorsman likes this.
  11. Whit Spurzon

Whit Spurzon Scout

Blog Posts:
    Lots of fires in the area but nothing as close as it was in 2015.

This is NOT the view you want above your cabin. It ended up burning half way through my neighbor's property but ours' was spared.
    [​IMG]

Can't say that for my neighbors though. Both of these men lost their homes in this fire. This was the first look RW's (left) had of his place after it burned. We had been out on a call nearby and after we were done he wanted to take a look at his place. It was as if he got punched in the guts.
    [​IMG]

This year it's been mighty smokey for about three weeks. Even showed up on the trail cameras.
    [​IMG]

Cedarfire and buckfynn like this.