Wet forming leather

Discussion in 'Self-made Gear' started by Gizamo, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Gizamo

Gizamo Scout

Blog Posts:
    Here is a sheath that is sitting on the warming rack of our wood cookstove. When I wetform... the leather has been colored with Fieblings alcohol dye. I soak the interior with 90% isopropyl alcohol. Wrap the knife in plastic and then strategically place clamps and popsicle sticks with very little pressure. Not enough to leave a mark in the leather.

The low constant heat from the cookstove sets the leather in a few hours. I then pull the clamps and take the knife out of the sheath. Place the empty sheath back on the stove and let it sit there overnight. It continues to shrink a bit more. By the next morning the leather is hard and the knife fits snug....

I then finish the sheath by applying wax and burnish.

[​IMG]

2. Holtzcraft

Holtzcraft Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nice sheath.

Jim L. likes this.
  3. Rockgod1619

Rockgod1619 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    So you're wetforming with alcohol instead of water? Interesting. Blade wouldn't be prone to rust that way the way it would with water, presumably...

Barry J likes this.
  4. Barry J

Barry J Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have been playing with leather for quite a while. Never heard of using alcohol instead of water. I really like the idea! The cool part is that the alcohol should totally evaporate in a short time, where water could take a lot longer.
    Thanks to the OP!

Rockgod1619 likes this.