Wharton State Forest - BATONA Trail -n- Mullica River Trail

Discussion in 'New Jersey' started by FootPathOne, Dec 10, 2016.

1. FootPathOne

FootPathOne Tracker

Blog Posts:
    GoneHikingX.jpg

I'll be away for a while :)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  2. Backyard

Backyard Guide

Blog Posts:
    How bad are the bugs? Do you use a tent or tarp? Bug net?

This area is where I started off roading and camping.

3. Backyard

Backyard Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've not camped in Lower Forge, generally at Batona or Goshen Pond. Both sites have advantages and disadvantages. Depending on which site you get at which location you may or may not have trees for a ridge line or hammock. Best to scout the area first and pick out a site which meets your needs. Also the reservation system and picking up permits is expensive and a pain in the butt. I spend more on reservation fees than campsite fees which frustrates me to no end. Finding fuel you face the same challenges as other campsites, most of the near, downed stuff is already gone, and the rangers don't like it when you cut down a dead tree. The big advantage of this area for me, is that it is close to a number of friends. I've slowly been converting some to PA State Forests where you have more options than the Pine Barrens, the primary one being just dropping off trail and making your own site. I've also been slowly converting a few of my friends from car camping to humping your gear in and out.

The Pine Barrens is a beautiful place, just a bit over regulated for my current tastes. That being said it will always have a place in my heart as it was where I started camping.

4. Backyard

Backyard Guide

Blog Posts:
    I need to get up to Delaware Water Gap NRA. I don't want to seem to complain about Wharton, although I've had a few experiences with the rangers that left me scratching my head. It is a wonderful forest and a great close to home place to get away. I envy the fact you have a playground so close to home.

NJHeart2Heart likes this.
  5. NJHeart2Heart

NJHeart2Heart Backyard Bushcrafter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The WILD suburbs of Morris County, NJ, USA
    I'm here in NWNJ about 35 minutes from the Delaware Water Gap Rec area. Done a bit of day hiking in the area, but not tried much bushcraft stuff there yet... usually with hubby, who is a hiker, not into bushcraft skills. Perhaps in the spring the bushcraft folks up here will try to plan a bushcraft event there..

Backyard likes this.
  6. NJHeart2Heart

NJHeart2Heart Backyard Bushcrafter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The WILD suburbs of Morris County, NJ, USA
    Nope :) Though that was a good guess considering my post!

7. beacon

beacon Simul justus et peccator Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    In the summer, the deer flies can be absolute torture. Most of the time, it's not so bad. Well, unless you consider ticks and chiggers :-(

8. beacon

beacon Simul justus et peccator Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Goshen Pond has been known to have problems with aggressive homeless persons. Its proximity to Rt. 206 makes it easily accessible to that crowd. Lower Forge requires more of a hike, so IMO, it's better.

Backyard likes this.
  9. Monkeynono

Monkeynono Guide

Blog Posts:
    Lower forge is in my opinion the best site of them all. I have spent many of nights there. Matter of fact I well be spending on there soon. The other sites are way to close to major roads, Goshen Pond in particular. If I'm car camping that's one thing if I'm strapping a pack on lower is my go-to.

10. Half Tread

Half Tread Hiker, MOA #4

Blog Posts: