What’s your preferred rain proof layer?

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by Mfraser161, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Mfraser161

Mfraser161 Scout

Do you go with a gore-Tex hard shell? vinyl poncho? Waxed material/oil skin ? Etc etc.
    My go to has been a vinyl poncho for years.

Flint_2016, Bush Billy, Tdr and 5 others like this.
  2. waipapa13

waipapa13 Tracker

If I'm following cows on a quad or loading a truck, not high movement sort of stuff but out and fully exposed to the weather I find nothing beats the old school yellow PVC top and bottoms, anything too strenuous and you just end up wet from the inside out with sweat.

Otherwise an oilskin coat or a swanndri, if I'm in the bush and it's raining I'll take a bit of damp over being steamed.
    The best for working/moving in that I found is an oilskin butterfly cape, keeps you dry enough but lets you move freely.

A USGI poncho or similar is on my list to get, a friend had one when we were little kids, we'd walk to school under it if it was real wet, use it as a tarp and a groundsheet and shade in the summer, great bit of gear.

3. Herman30

Herman30 Tracker

A BW surplus gore-tex jacket. Or, if I have to carry a bag or backpack, a poncho.

4. JAY

JAY Guide

I have a USGI poncho for main pack. If using haversack on short day hike I only carry a space blanket to put overhead to fend of scattered showers.

fixits, Winterhorse and Mfraser161 like this.
  5. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

German Army poncho. For short day hikes a large trash bag.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  6. backlasher

backlasher Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

I have a GoreTex jacket and use it in the summer but I keep a BCO poncho in my bag for winter or when it's really raining hard.

fixits, Winterhorse and Mfraser161 like this.
  7. leghog

leghog Guide

Marmot Precip. My avatar shows each of us wearing one. In my backpack I carry a FroggTogg UL2.

Mfraser161 and fixits like this.
  8. Robert Schmidt

Robert Schmidt Tracker

Good Morning Yall,

To me personally, this depends 100% on the task ahead and time spend outside. My daily commuter is a filson tin cloth jacket, which I wax rarely. It does the job for walking the dog, chilling in the garden, getting to work and so on. If I have to depend on it for days or weeks and the weather may get tough, I will pick my Filson all season rain coat, best ever rain jacket to me (dont like plastic). I do have a Mammut Gore Pro Shell though, which I will use for more sportive / ultralight quick actions (Just used it on a boat trip over the weekend). During the summer and warmer days in autumn and fall, I couldnt be bothered mostly. I generally wear wool and dont care if it gets wet for a while. Might have the Filson to go over it, but rarely comes to use.

This way I was able to use my last Gore Jacket for almost 13 years. Hoping this one will do even longer. The Tin Cruiser will hopefully do 5-10 years, but it has some hard times with me. My wool coats and all season rain coat will hopefully do longer than I. Trying to buy stuff only once, in order to consume as little as necessary to get me through whatever.

Best Regards,
    Robert

9. Robedsubset

Robedsubset Scout

For extended heavy rain I’ve found that rubber/pvc etc. works best...but at a cost. They don’t breathe.

10. Samurainova

Samurainova Tracker

11. arleigh

arleigh Guide

USGI poncho used it 5 years in SAR. No leaks and in severe weather makes a small tent one can hunker down in.

12. 66drifter

66drifter Guide

in weather other than Texas heat my oilskin duster is the goto protective layer

in hot weather the goto layer simply involves Gore-Tex

13. DKR

DKR Guide

SoAz - no rain is preferred....

If I have to be out in the rain, a HH rainsuit is da bomb...

14. Robert Schmidt

Robert Schmidt Tracker

Hi Drifter,

You might want to consider some thin tin cloth or a tight cotton canvas for warm weather. Gore works best when its super cold. The difference between inside an outsode temperature is what does the trick (sure there are some physic cracks here which can explain why). If it is actually hot or warm, you will get wet by sweating inside it, because it wont work correctly. Generally speaking, Gore should be recommended for cold weather only (maybe up to mild temperatures, were it will still semi work).

Best Regards,
    Robert

15. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

That rednecky area between Baltimore and Philly.
    Have used USGI poncho, USGI gortex, cheap vinyl ponchos, silicone-covered nylon jacket, Dri-Ducks/Frogg Toggs, the heavy rubberized suits, and BCUSA poncho. I also own a silnylon Gatewood Cape but haven't had it out in the rain yet.

My preference is for a poncho of any sort, due to ventilation.

I've yet to find a product that breathes while I'm working in the rain. Frogg Toggs come close, but are single-use and the Dry Ducks are very flimsy (enough to hike in, not enough to work in reliably.)

I find it easiest to wear quick drying clothes/socks/shoes, and just ward off the worst with a poncho, then worry about drying out later. As I see it, you're going to get wet from the rain or from sweat.

Mfraser161, LongChinJon, Tdr and 2 others like this.
  16. Oldguy59

Oldguy59 Roughian #5 Supporter

When back packing I have some light weight gore-Tex when hunting I have some heavier quieter gore-Tex , for rougher work I have a Kakadu oil skin drovers coat. Living in the Pacific North Wet most of my jackets are at least water resistant.

Mfraser161, Winterhorse and fixits like this.
  17. Glenn Rowe

Glenn Rowe . Supporter

In a word, absolutely! Air temperature strongly affects how well (or poorly) Gore-Tex works. I think it's because of something called vapor pressure but I'm no 'physics crack.' :D

18. Noddy

Noddy Scout

Pacific NW here, so lots of anti rain options in the arsenal.

Been wearing a Paramo Velez jacket. Bit difficult to get on with what with the slippery material but it really does work in the way it says it should ... which is to say by some sort of strange pixie magic

19. Tor Helge

Tor Helge Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

BW surplus gore tex.

[​IMG]

20. Herman30

Herman30 Tracker

"Found" something I forgot I had, buried in a closet. A dutch waterproof stand-alone liner.
    Years earlier I had installed press studs on it to close it like a jacket. Thiswill keep me dry no matter what jacket I wear on top.

[​IMG]

21. reppans

reppans Scout

I pickup a TNF Hyperair on a clearance sale this summer using the lastest Gore Shakedry. It’s an UL’er at 5oz; ~25% heavier/larger-packing than a Houdini windshirt. Very neat material - permanent hydrophobic water beading surface so it’s 100% waterproof, will never wet-out, and it literally ‘shakes dry’. It’s also is Gore’s most breathable WP fabric (primarily marketed to the running/bicycling market), said to be as good the Houdini - it’s only recently been chilly enough for me test breathability, but so far so good. Downside is that it’s fragile, so no bushwhacking.

That said, I usually have an EDC bag with me that I’d like to keep dry too, so end up mostly using a poncho tarp or tent.

22. Noddy

Noddy Scout

I been eyeing these new permanent finishes, too :)

Might be a whole closetful of jackets to discard

Mfraser161, fixits and reppans like this.
  23. KFF

KFF Lady of the mosquitoes Supporter

Got a pair, well actually several, of helly hansen stretch rubber pants and a columbia rain proof jacket.
    But I prefer to stay home in the rain.

24. Hawkcreek

Hawkcreek Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

I've used vortex, usgi ponchos, yellow PBS suits and Filson waxed tin, for me Filson has been the best. It's the only one were I can actually get any work done without getting soaked from sweat.

25. ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan Scout

I've got a pretty nice umbrella, but I'd have to say my roof. Call me a wuss, but if it's raining I tend to stay indoors, e.g. home, restaurants, etc.

26. SkipJunkie

SkipJunkie Scout

Wilderness Innovations poncho has been a mainstay for a few years now .

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  27. fixits

fixits Noble Savage Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Arc'teryx Beta AR

Awesome piece of kit..my only complaint is that is a bit noisy. Sure works well as a shell though.

Mfraser161 and Noddy like this.
  28. kronin323

kronin323 the barbarian Supporter

I've got various items with various technologies (old and new) that work at different levels but for full exposure in a real drencher my choice is Gore-Tex. My current set is Gen III ECWCS Level 6. Though instead of the hood, I prefer to use a full brim oilskin hat. Not the one in my avatar, which has a mesh top, but a darker brown one that's full oilskin with a slightly less wide brim.

29. Anthonysaudiojournal

Anthonysaudiojournal Scout

I carry a Columbia Titanium shell similar to a pre-cip when I'm on dayhikes and a Frogg Togg on my lightweight backpack trips. Last year I wore a homemade rain kilt out of sil nylon with a frogg toggs jacket. Both combined weighed about 7 ounces.

30. Tdr

Tdr Scout

Your post hit the nail on the head. Water is going to trickle down your neck when you flip your hood up, extend your arms above your head and it will run down the inside of the sleeve,it will shed of the rain coat and soak your pants and shoes.
    Rain always wins in the end..

31. haunted

haunted Guide

i prefer a roof first actually

32. Doubles

Doubles Guide

I've carried an old rubberized military poncho with me on trips for 30+ years, it's very seldom used, but great if I ever need it....some trips I travel a ways for, so rain stoppage isn't much of an option

33. Nick Dundua

Nick Dundua Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

I prefer poncho , no matter how much rain , you are dry , you keep you pack dry and most importantly you have ventilation so you don't sweat , usually that's what sucks with rain gear

Mfraser161, Seeker, Seacapt. and 2 others like this.
  34. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Rusty Hobbyist

Military poncho(and woobie)I plan t cut a hole in the woobie so I can wear it as a poncho as well.Then it can be attached to my military poncho.

Mfraser161 likes this.
  35. Seeker

A simple T-cut, shoulders/throat, will get you started... enlarge slowly until you figure out how big it actually has to be to get your head through. Then do a blanket stitch by hand, or zig-zag by machine (unless you have a fancy one that will do a blanket stitch) around the edges to keep it from shredding. Might even just whip stitch it and then cover the edge with fleece.

Doubles likes this.
  36. Doubles

Doubles Guide

That should be issue...

37. Seeker

You would think, at least for the infantry.

I know a lot of us tankers used to carry a field jacket liner (same woobie material) and wear it under the old Gumbi Suit rainjacket until we could afford to have a seamstress line it with a woobie or wool blanket, making what was called a "Graf Jacket". But the poncho liner was more material and could be used as a blanket.

38. rhino on INGO

rhino on INGO Supporter Supporter

Ponchos for me. It's not easy finding a raincoat in really big sizes (4XL is not "really big") that is actually waterproof, even when it is marketed as a slicker. Ponchos are just more versatile for occasional use and a lot cooler when it's hot and raining. I have a couple, but the Frogg Toggs gets the most use. It's too flimsy to double as a ground cloth, but it's so light you can take it with you all the time in or clipped onto your EDC bag.

Mfraser161 likes this.
  39. Not Sure

Not Sure Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Equinox Poncho, doubles as a fair-weather or emergency shelter.

DSCF5129.JPG

Mfraser161 likes this.
  40. leghog

leghog Guide

When I was Infantry a never saw a soldier use a poncho for anything other than a shelter, a litter, as an outer layer of a woobie sleeping bag, or to protect gear in a river crossing, etc., but never worn as personnel raingear. In rain, we wore jackets.

41. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Silnylon poncho all the way. I have a goretex rain suit but never use it.

Mfraser161 likes this.
  42. Luzster

Luzster Of course your opinion matters, just not to me... Supporter

If just getting from building to car or vise versa, an umbrella. If only out in the weather for a short period of time, a gortex top. If going to be out on the weather for an extended period of time then a poncho. I also carry a poncho with me every time I hit the woods.

Ponchos, to me, breath better, cover more area to include a pack, and can also be used as a shelter. I live in Florida so I really don't have to worry too much about layers in cold weather either. So, the little bit of leg that always gets wet when wearing a poncho is not too big a deal down here.

Mfraser161 likes this.
  43. kronin323

kronin323 the barbarian Supporter

I will say that though I typically outfit with both Gore-Tex jacket and pants, I almost always just use the jacket. The full set is more useful if you want to just sit or stand out in the middle of a full downpour and laugh at the weather...

I keep the jacket in the truck to keep it handy. Next to my hat. I'm not an umbrella guy.