What’s your workout for backpacking?

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by Vpetrell, May 11, 2018.

1. Vpetrell

Vpetrell Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    What does everyone do to stay in shape for backpacking/hiking?

On top of regular hiking and trail running I do kettle bell workouts and a lot of pushups and occasional yoga

I’ve been toying with the idea of getting a pack and adding heavy weight to get a more intense workout

Whats your workout?

VP

UAHiker and rsnurkle like this.
  2. snapper

snapper Guide

Blog Posts:
    At this point in my life (I'm 65) I know I can't just put on a pack and "go" as easily as I once did. For that reason I try to keep myself in decent shape to begin with by cutting wood, swimming, walking everywhere, etc. All that being said, when planning for a backpacking trip, I begin at least 6 weeks prior to the trip walking around with weight in my pack. Usually I begin with 10-12 pounds and add more weight each week until I'm carrying a bit more than I expect to carry on the actual trip. Regardless of where I go on campus, I carry my pack. I've gotten some weird looks over the last few years but this strategy has allowed me to keep up with college students when out in the Adirondacks or Catskills.

One other thing, when doing this I always park on the other side of campus from the building where my office is located. This allows me to add numerous stairs along the way. If I'm not into the stairs, I walk the hill itself that the stairs go up. Both give you a little bit of a different work out so I switch it up so I can achieve both.

That's all for now. Take care, best of luck for getting ready for your trip and until next time....be well.

snapper

3. lilblade25

lilblade25 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    This is what I've been doing (I found it on Pinterest):

The Ultimate Hiker's Workout

Perform each exercise for one minute with a 30 second rest in between.
    Repeat entire set for a complete 30-minute workout

1. Switch Lunges
    2. Calf Raises
    3. Mountain Climbers
    4, Roundhouse Lunges
    5. Burpees
    6. Calf Hops
    7. Skater Jumps
    8. Surrenders
    9. Plyo Spiderman Lunges
    10. Squat Walk

It's a pretty good workout and doesn't require weights which is a plus for me

GGTBod, UAHiker, rsnurkle and 2 others like this.
  4. dirt7

dirt7 Scout

Blog Posts:
    My "workout" just comes from always carrying a pack with a load, even for just a short hike. I will often overload it a bit just to feel the burn a little more. Luckily there are some pretty steep climbs within a few miles that I can hike up for exercise. I like to do yoga, specifically focusing on core and hip flexibility. I try to keep my hips healthy since they are transferring all the weight to my legs when hiking with a load.

rsnurkle and Bitterroot Native like this.
  5. LFowler

LFowler Scout

Blog Posts:
    I take my normal pack and add large amounts of water to it. I usually try to hit twice the weight I would actually want to carry, or just over 60lbs. Lately I have been using two 6L MSR dromedaries and two 2L platy bags, the soft nature makes them pack much better then hard sided containers. Sometimes I will use my GPS to monitor and limit stopped time as well as keep my pace up, on good trails I try to keep above a 3mph moving average.

If I wimp out, get sore or hurt myself I can dump the water and hike back out floating on air.

Swarvegorilla and rsnurkle like this.
  6. Pointblind

Pointblind Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Morning walks with my pack stuffed with towels and free weights.

7. justinspicher

justinspicher Scout

Blog Posts:
    I just carry my pack around. I am fortunate to live near the mountain and have access to trails and plenty of public land.

In the summer I carry a pack quite a bit for work, the fall I’m hunting with a pack on and in the winter I’m snowshoeing with a pack on.

I’ll do a lot of body weight exercises as well, I don’t lift weights, mainly because they are heavy.

rsnurkle likes this.
  8. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don't train exclusively for backpacking, but it's one of many outdoor activities I enjoy (add trail running, deer/elk hunting, high country lake fishing, snowshoeing/backcountry skiing, etc to the mix) and to really enjoy it you do need a decent level of fitness.

I mix trail running and hiking during the week- all of it on rolling/steep single track trails. I try and get out on the trails 3-4 times a week, typically one longish run/hike on the weekend. In addition, strength train twice a week- a mix of large, compound lifts (deadlifts/squats/bench/overhead press) with body weight exercises- lunges, pull/chinups, dips, plyo box, etc

For most activities (including backpacking), typically the more specificity the better. Thus carrying a backpack on similar terrain, with similar weights and spending time on your feet would trump anything else. But I do feel mixing in some cross training and some strength training is helpful as well.

UAHiker and rsnurkle like this.
  9. Leshy_apprentice

Leshy_apprentice Scout

Blog Posts:
    My current job, I am on my feet for 12 hour shifts and constantly power walking back and forth to different factory stations. I'll call that my backpacking conditioning. But before, I would usually just try to keep up by loading out my pack even for day hikes and short nature walks. It kept me in good backpacking condition. I didn't have specific "gym" type exercise routines. An active life is good enough workout, for me anyway.

10. Swarvegorilla

Swarvegorilla Guide

Blog Posts:
    I walk to and from work. I did get a weight vest to wear around house the week before I leave on a trip.

11. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I walk around my neighborhood with my wife most evenings after supper.

Aside from that, I just try to get out in the woods every weekend. I quit "working out" at about age 45, when my shoulder told me to stop.

M.Hatfield likes this.
  12. chndlr04

chndlr04 Scout

Blog Posts:
    on a average work day, 5 days a week i walk 15 miles with purpose. when I add in cleaning church which I do twice a week for 4 hours each. I wear my loaded pack. no weird looks when i do that because I'm usually alone. been doing this for the past 4 years. so I think I'm pretty well conditioned.