What are you buildin' in your loading rooms?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Cwlongshot, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Guide

Blog Posts:
    40 S&W & 22 Mag fan residing in New England
    Just a post to get things movin' as we approach the summer doldrums...:p:D

I have 50 223 cases prepped. 100 300 BO cases all prepped, 50 6.5 Grendels all prepped and last night did 50 25/45 cases all prepped.

That's cleaned, resized, trimmed, primed ready for powder and bullets.

I need to find, make or build some way to store all the cast bullets I am creating... for now they are in HD zip loc bags under the bench...

What ya got going on our bench?

CW

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  2. THRsucks

THRsucks Scout

Blog Posts:
    A whole lot of nothing, it is a bit depressing not having my reloading equipment, but when thieves get into your storage, it can really set you back. If i had the option, I'd be resizing 5.56 for .300 blackout and casting my own bullets.

3. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Guide

Blog Posts:
    VERY sorry to read this!! I hate a thief, :mad: mostly cause I would GIVE to help most folks...

CW

central joe, THRsucks and isme like this.
  4. slysir

slysir Guide

Blog Posts:
    Nothing special...just .38spl. I shoot a bunch of .38's so I always have a few thousand rounds ready to go. I don't have to do much change up to switch over to .357. Just adjust the expander and seater dies.

When I switch over to rifle calibers I have to change the press. I only do that once a year or so.

[​IMG]

-John

5. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Scout

Blog Posts:
    Not a lot, reloading is a deep winter past tine around here, summer is too valuable to waste much of it indoors...

But when I'm rained out elsewhere, I'm working on a few things;

Going through a coffee can of 30-06 brass I was given, depriming and sizing, getting them ready to tumble.

Then loading this year's box for sight in and moose season, and some light hitting range fodder if I can find any more 100 grain FMJs like I had once before.

Also a buddy gave me a few rounds of brass he found in his stuff, 25-20 WCF, getting ready to load them for my limited stock(All total I have kess than a box of 50).

And, was given around 150 rounds of .41Mag, some had gotten wet/soaked, and some is loaded way too hot, getting ready to pull bullets, and re-load them myself.

Have until Sept. 1 to get '06 loaded to hunt with. The rest might take me till 1st of the year or after... No rush.

6. drobs

drobs Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm tentatively planning on a couple modifications to my C&B Revolvers to be done on my coming vacation in the next 2 weeks.
    1. Mainspring Swap in my Remingtons.
    http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php/topic,5248.0.html
    2. Possibly cutting a loading gate for my Kirst Conversion. I've put this off 17 years so far...
    3. Possibly attempting a cap rake / cap post install on a brass frame Colt for practice. Then trying it on my steel frame Pietta 1851 & 1860 Colts.
    4. Maybe install an over travel set screw on the Remingtons.
    http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php/topic,3801.30.html

I need to see what's available at my local hardware store for set screws, drill bits, JB Weld, + I need a new center punch.
    Then I need clear off the work bench in the garage try positioning my drill press over my vice.

I have that new Pietta 1851 Navy Colt to clean up and shoot.

Cwlongshot and pab1 like this.
  7. pab1

pab1 Supporter Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like some interesting projects! Let us know how it goes.

I just loaded 50 rounds of .454 Casull using 240gr Hornady XTP/Mags over W296. Other than that I haven't loaded much since last fall. Unless you count reloading without a case by seating a .530 patched round ball over a healthy charge of 3F Goex in my GPR. ;):D

slysir and drobs like this.
  8. Hawkcreek

Hawkcreek Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Been playing with working up .30-40 Krag loads with Hornady 220 grain bullets. Remington 180 grain factory was very inaccurate in my gun and it's got rather slow rifling but still the big 220 grain bullets show promise. Just have to keep playing with powder charges until I find the happy place. Hopefully I'll get to have thing squared away before hunting season.

AK Adventurer and pab1 like this.
  9. slysir

slysir Guide

Blog Posts:
    @AK Adventurer

I'm curious about your depriming and sizing before tumbling. The main reason I tumble first is to clean up cases so they don't scratch the sizer die. And I keep the primer in so the primer pocket doesn't fill with media. I would think that there's a chance of media getting inside the primer cup internally. Not being critical, just curious.

I use corn cob...what's your media?

-John

ManyHammers, AK Adventurer and pab1 like this.
  10. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Scout

Blog Posts:
    Well actually, I should correct myself; These days I have a universal depriming die, so I am just depriming, not sizing first.

But for years I did size first, because I had to, to deprime. Then I Was careful about heavy outside grime that could hurt a die.

Anything that I thought was dirty enough to hurt a die, got cleaned with the primer in, and processed after just to be safe.

I'm just making sure the primer pocket gets cleaned really well. I like the pocket and flash hole as clean as I can get them. Also saves me the work/time of reaming/cleaning the pockets by hand between depriming and priming. :)

Also, I don't actually tumble my own currently. A buddy has a horizontal drum tumbler, and runs it with a liquid cleaner, and the brass only; no media. He had trouble with media getting stuck inside cases and went to a liquid. I did know what the liquid cleaner is, but I've forgotten.

I do have one of the vibrating "tumblers" and used to use a treated walnut media, but it always left a heavy red gummy residue inside the cases. It was a pain to get out, along with chunks of the media that got stuck-- especially in the bottle neck cases, so I gave up on it.

I keep meaning to get an untreated media to try, or get my own sealed tumbler that can run liquid, but never do since my friend doesn't mind running my brass; It helps him get bigger batches to run-- works better with bigger quantities in the tumble. And as a bonus he works a night shift where he can take it to work with him... Saves us both bothering folks at home with the noise. ;)

I ended up doing it this way because I didn't clean for every loading. Only every 3, maybe 4 times. I just got in the habit of processing everything first, then setting aside the dirtier ones for cleaning if I thought they needed it. Then I noticed the primer pockets came back cleaner than I was getting them by hand, so I stuck with it.

pab1, Cwlongshot and slysir like this.
  11. Donald Devall

Donald Devall Scout

Blog Posts:
    Just 9mm and 6.5 CM these days.

My wife was an unhappy little woman when she had to move my brass, including over 30,000 pieces of 9mm, to our new home while I was offshore. :confused:

Zaveral, pab1 and Cwlongshot like this.
  12. slysir

slysir Guide

Blog Posts:
    :dblthumb:

-John

pab1 likes this.
  13. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Guide

Blog Posts:
    I sixed a couple hundred 357 cast & powder coated bullets tonight.

Then sized n primed another 50 Grendel pieces. I need to order more. I now have two Hrendels to feed!!

CW

AK Adventurer and pab1 like this.
  14. chickasaw_hunter

chickasaw_hunter Scout

Blog Posts:
    Slysir, for years just one routine step in my brass cleaning process was to use a dental pick and clean out all of my primer pockets. I used walnut media. Then one day I read on the internet about using Lizard bedding and a claim that it will not clog up the primer pocket. I needed new media so I stopped by Petco one day and got some Lizard bedding (finely ground walnut....I think) according to the internet grail you also blend in a cap full of liquid car polish. Well, the bottom line is it worked for me. My dental pick has been mostly retired and I'm still working on my first bag of Lizard Litter, the southwestern blend. The cost of the Lizard Litter is much cheaper than any of the media I found so not a big deal to take a chance, it was worth it for me.

15. randyt

randyt Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm so far behind I shake my own hand coming and going. But anyhoo I have a bunch of 6.5x55 bedan primed brass waiting to get loaded. There is also a 41 swiss waiting to be converted to centerfire and some lebel converted to 41 swiss waiting to be loaded. I'm on the lookout for a round nose mold for the 41 swiss. Gobs of 30-40 krag. There is a fair amount of primed 30 carbine and .357 mag. My 38-55 win needs some fodder loaded up. Time and energy is what I'm lacking

16. 62flint

62flint Scout

Blog Posts:
    The only loading I've done as of late was 210gr cast for the 44 Mag Marlin and 180gr cast for the 357 Mag Marlin. I need to get back to working out the 35 Remington load. That one is cast as well, and about 210gr.

Cwlongshot likes this.
  17. Gruxxx

Gruxxx Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have about 250 more pieces of .223 brass to prep to add to the 250 I have ready to go, then I'll make another run of .223 match loads with 69 grn Sierra Match Kings. Then I need to do some load development with 77 grn SMKs for the 600 yard line. After that, I'll swap toolheads and fly through a few thousand 45 ACP and 9mm.

Cwlongshot likes this.
  18. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Scout

Blog Posts:
    Intersting!

I'll have to grab a bag to try in my machine some time...

chickasaw_hunter and Cwlongshot like this.
  19. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have tried 68 & 69g without much success. (1:8 barrels) 62 shoot lights out. Found a nice load with Varget and 65 Sierra (big game bookits) last year. A friend passed along a load with those 77’s and WOW they shoot!!

Dunno about the 68/69g. Its likely just me and not finding a good load. Im hyper crytical with these loads as I have been spoiled with accuracy with most loadings .

But even my fun gun upper. Factory 1:8 bbl pencil barrel will shoot a 62g hand load with ARComp into loose 1” @100 Those 68/69 barely see 1.5-1.6”

Not a problem just a comment. Nothing one can do that the other cannot for my uses. The 77 was a “just wanna see” loading.

CW

20. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Guide

Blog Posts:
    I made up 100 bullets last night to test later today.

40S&W using 4.2g of CLAYS and a 145g Cast bullet. MY cast and powder coated bullet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    CW

Cornhusker, slysir and yooper71 like this.
  21. yooper71

yooper71 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nothing currently. Summer is the time I’m usually loading shotgun shells a thousand at a time. However there’s a Dunham’s a very short distance from me that will put Remington Gun Club on sale for $49.99 a case. I find that the gun club patterns very well for me, which hasn’t been my experience with the bargain Federal or Winchester.

I just picked up 5 cases and that should last until August. :14:

Doug grant and Cwlongshot like this.
  22. OrienM

OrienM Guide

Blog Posts:
    The full-powered .38spl loads I've been making lately (using bullets out my new Lee SWC mold) shoot AWESOME in my S&W :dblthumb:...I'll need to crank out a few hundred more of them pretty soon.

Cwlongshot and yooper71 like this.
  23. Polecat

Polecat Polecat in a Poke Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I am making a new reloading/gun/piano room. It will be the ultimate Polecat Cave. Trying to design a bench into which I can insert modular pieces, so I can quickly latch on whatever presses, measures, trimmers, vices, etc in whatever order.

Once that is done (if I ever have time to finish it, heh), I need to work up a perfect load for my M39, make a new firing pin for a Hollenbeck drilling, maybe install some 20ga liners in the same gun, and regulate a Chiappa Double Badger (which will probably require making a new spacer for the muzzle end, soldering it in, and mounting a new front sight).

Cwlongshot likes this.
  24. Eugene

Eugene Tracker

Blog Posts:
    400 rounds so I don't have to use factory for the next range trip
    [​IMG]

Cwlongshot and slysir like this.
  25. edprof

edprof Tracker

Blog Posts:
    7.62 x 54R.

26. gdwigg

gdwigg Scout

Blog Posts:
    Not any loading going on right now. I've been depriming and wet tumbling 9mm and 5.56 a bit. Probably have 1150-1200 9mm, and 600-700 .223 ready for powder and lead. Just haven't felt like doing anything that needs concentration, and sure don't want to do any without.
    Be safe folks!

Cwlongshot likes this.
  27. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Guide

Blog Posts:
    Tonight I sized a pile of different cast bullets.

Then loaded 300 more 40’s on the Dillon with my nurple cast bullets.

Last was thirty test loads with Unique and a 175g cast/powder coated bullet.

I shot some of the nurples out of the carbine @ 50 yards, shot Rested into 2.5”. I was pretty pleased with that!

CW

28. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Guide

Blog Posts:
    Loaded up 20 45Colts for my pop last night. We are headed up to Maine and he wanted to shoot a few of my Cast Powder coated bullets.

I loaded up 6 235 wad cutters and 14 225g NOE HPS. With Unique powder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CW

slysir likes this.
  29. Hawkcreek

Blog Posts:
    Loaded up 20 of these goofy bullets last night with various powders. Fired them all this morning so now I am back to having empty brass again.

[​IMG]

Cwlongshot likes this.
  30. drobs

drobs Scout

Blog Posts:
    Do they sell black powder coating? I'm just not a fan of crazy colors. Ok make that any color other than black, gray, silver, or brass (fmj).
    I don't cast but want to soon.

31. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Scout

Blog Posts:
    What is that? Case is a 30-30 I'd say, but what the heck is the bullet? :)

Hawkcreek likes this.
  32. Hawkcreek

Blog Posts:
    HaHa!
    It's a .30-40 Krag loaded with a Speer 100 grain Plinker (aka half-jacket).

Cwlongshot and AK Adventurer like this.
  33. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ah yes, the other old 30! I didn't know it looked so similar!

Hawkcreek likes this.
  34. Hawkcreek

Blog Posts:
    They are similar (not my picture).
    .30-30 on left, .30-40 on right
    [​IMG]

35. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Guide

Blog Posts:
    I got home from a short trip up to Maine.

Found the Mail gurl has left me a small pile of boxes!! In one was a .314 & .401 LEE push thru sizer die. These are quite the ticket for power coated bullets! They are not always good at actually sizing bulelts to the nubers stamped on the die..

The .314 is closer to .312 but luckly the .401 is .401-.4015!

SO, I sized up 500+ .401, 145g powder coated bullets.

CW

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018 at 6:59 PM