What are your flashlight habits?

Discussion in 'Other Tools' started by Beach Hiker, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Beach Hiker

Beach Hiker LB 42 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I live in the countryside, in farm territory.
    It gets really dark outside of summer. We don't like bright lights in the house.
    So.... I always (yes, always) keep a flashlight in my shirt pocket. It gets used many times a day (well, night, actually).
    I have flashlights around the house, but my pocket light is the king.
    I almost am looking forward to winter so I can use my flashlight more often.

I spent a couple of years in Milan, and don't think I ever used my EDC light... but it was still there.

I keep a giant old D cell maglite by the bed, and one by the front door.
    Have lights in the car, and in good locations around the house.

Has anyone else noticed that flashlights are better now than when we were kids? Lol.

What are your flashlight habits?

2. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I keep a little sucker on my key carabiner. Use it almost daily, both outside and inside when I want a little more light on something. Or I'm poking around in the gun safe looking for something. I keep a slightly larger one close to the back door that will shine into my neighbor's yard if it has to. It works well when I smell a skunk and want to be sure he's not still close by.

3. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    Besides the D cells, I keep in truck, and one in home, I carry a small single AAA on my belt, and a black diamond headlamp for work purposes or prolonged power outages

4. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have several small lights, AAA and AA. I use them every day! They are too good and small not to carry something.

In an emergency or if you drop something they are invaluable. Ever go through something in the dark, it'll be the last time you won't be ready.

5. Terasec

Terasec Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have tried to move away from battery powered lights and switched to solar powered,
    I have luci lights everywhere
    in both cars sitting on the dash always charging
    at home by the window charging,
    a few in different packs,
    in the car I often use it when working on the car,
    at home gets used mostly when im digging through my closet
    out in the woods actually gets very little use, maybe when setting up after dark, middle of the night random things,
    if its on for 10-15 minutes at night that would be a lot, usually 1-2 minutes at a time and that's it

6. Pilot

Pilot Scout

Blog Posts:
    I switched to rechargeable batteries a few years ago. Mostly 18650, RCR123A, and 14500 batteries to power smaller LED flashlights I keep around the house or on my person when I got out at night. Nothing worse than being stuck somewhere, or just needing a light at night. I do keep one in my Jeep also in case I forget. LED and rechargeables have been a game changer.

7. Noddy

Noddy Scout

Blog Posts:
    Got a AAA Klarus MiX-6 in my pocket everyday. I have picked up several other triple-As, thinking maybe I could do with a change of scenery ... but I never use them.

Oh, and a I put a cheap red fauxton on my keyring in case of any unexpected submarine adventures or an urgent need for a darkroom, a stop sign ... or any thing else a red-light might be used to indicate :lol:

AAs and 18650s .. different story :)

8. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    Flashlights, like knives, are a personal thing. The only one I avoid is the rechargeable type. Luci lights would be the exception. If traveling Etc, I think finding batteries in most any store would be a lot easier and faster then an electric outlet, Just my personal opinion.

9. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I'll have to add pics tomorrow. I keep a Fenix E05 on my keychain and an E01 in my closet. And I have a handfull that pull up out of the body to convert to a lanern.

10. colrbh

colrbh Scout

Blog Posts:
    Learned many yrs ago in ems to never leave the house without a flashlight and leatherman. All these yrs later, leatherman and now a microsteam still on my belt. Oh and a very old surefire 6p in the Jeep..

11. White Falcon

White Falcon Scout

Blog Posts:
    Best one I ever owned, Maratec, one AAA battery, 3 different brightness. Battery last a very very long time. A index.jpe About 3" long.

12. trailhermit

trailhermit Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  13. WY_Not

WY_Not Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Is the big Maglite by the bed an LED model or the original Xenon bulb? If it is the Xenon bulb then look into upgrading it to the LED. Better light, brighter light, longer battery life, and no worries if dropped.

Used to LOVE my Streamlight Sidewinder Compacts. I have a I and a II. Unlike most Streamlight models they don't come with the lifetime warranty. Had an issue with the II last year and am a little soured on Streamlight but still love the I. If I could find something to replace it though, I'd jump in a heartbeat. If you want more details, PM me or just search the forum; I've posted a couple times about them.

I've got a few Surefire 6PXs floating around, one mounted. Really wish they, or someone, would make an LED upgrade kit that wasn't crazy expensive.

Way too many other flashlights to list them. Definitely wouldn't call it a collection though. I've got a few LED lanterns for car camping and around the house when the power goes out. I've got two flashlightsthat I EDC. I've got lots of small LED flashlights that I've picked up here and there over the years or been given as stocking stuffers, etc.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  14. kronin323

kronin323 the barbarian Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I went through a flashlight phase a couple years ago and built up a collection of around 50 of them. About half of those are smaller EDC size; they're grouped in a cabinet and I rotate through them for EDC as desired. The other half, the larger ones, are scattered all over the place in useful locations like nightstand, each exterior door, truck, etc etc. My four headlamps are by the back door as I'm most likely to be doing hands-free activities that need illumination in the back yard (that's out of nine total by the back door, including a LED mini lantern).

Another one of those by the back door serves as emergency lighting - it has an IR sensor on it and its charging holster has an IR emitter. If the charging holster detects a power interruption, it sends an IR signal to the light to turn on, providing emergency lighting. It's a pretty neat trick, I think.

On my actual person, at any time I typically have two lights - my dedicated EDC, which rotates through the collection, and one on my keychain. The keychain one is the emergency backup if the primary fails or I somehow find myself without my dedicated EDC. I'm a firm believer of Murphy's Law of Flashlights - if you're only carrying one and you really need it, that's when it will fail on you.

My keychain one has a quick release and I also have a version of it with a quality 365nm UV emitter. When I'm traveling, I tend to swap it out for the UV version, which adds some extra functionality on top of the regular lights in my EDC and luggage (luggage will typically include another EDC, a headlamp, and a larger light).

Outside of my collection, I have each kid equipped with a AA size olight and a headlamp. I once gave the wife a AAA olight but you'd never know, she never uses it and could care less about flashlights.

And yes, the technology today is astounding compared to my youth.

15. kronin323

Blog Posts:
    I agree, Maratacs are great. I've been carrying my copper AAA as my EDC the last couple of weeks. That deep pocket clip carry is really nice.

These are my Maratacs:

20190809_114610.jpg

KILLERtj, Torrin, Swampdog and 5 others like this.
  16. kronin323

Blog Posts:
    Here's the one on the keychain.

20190809_114735.jpg

Then, swapped with the UV version.

20190809_114852.jpg

They're both by Prometheus.

17. injun51

injun51 Guide

Blog Posts:
    20190809_100336.jpg There's a website called "flashoholics" and it's a great place for people with a unhealthy adoration for everything flashlight related. I try to stay away from it because it costs me money every time I peruse the sight. Bought my first "High End" flashlight after being on their site and haven't looked back since. I now own a dozen or more NICE flashlights that definitely weren't cheap but work so well they're definitely worth the money.

I wear a 130 lumen flashlight around my neck on a string 24/7 and carry a thousand lumen flashlight in my pocket as my EDC.

The "necklace" flashlight is about the size of a 45acp round & gets used the most and is completely rechargeable from a mini usb. My pocket flashlight is also rechargeable from a magnet that's set in the base. Both very handy when needed.

18. reppans

reppans Scout

Blog Posts:
    I was a CPF flashaholic for a while - got into testing lights for efficiency with a lightbox and ammeter. We've had several long term power outages (4-5days) and I'm into a weird intersection of EDC preparedness and outdoor recreation/camping.

My thing with flashlights are efficiency and low low lumens for night vision preservation, stealth camping inconspicuity, and extreme runtime (~300hrs/16650 with my typical usage). As an ultralighter (ultracompacter) I'm also into extreme versatility and multitasking - in a pinch I can run my light on any battery (eg, 9V, AAA, CR123, D, 18650), use my flashlight batt to powerbank my phone, and use it as a hands-free necklamp (clipped to my shirt collar) or lantern (w/ business card photo bounce card).

19. WY_Not

Blog Posts:
    We need pics. :4: Especially that business card photo bounce card thingamabob.

20. Malamute

Malamute Guide

Blog Posts:
    I gave up on maglites many years ago. Most ended up sitting and never being used and had the batteries go bad, I tossed them. I heard you could get them replaced, but in talking to Mag, they needed info on what brand, and i had t ship both ways i think, so it wasnt much of a deal. I couldnt determine the brand of batteries, they were so badly corroded. i didnt really care, I never used them anyway, they are big clunky things. The Cs are much nicer, but still hugely ovesized compared to decent modern lights. The minis have horrible on-off switches, I kept having them turn on in my pocket. I still have a couple around but have no idea where.

I used a Surefire E2E for many years, fantastic light. I carried it mainly in my Carhartt leg pocket. I lost it a couple times trying to rely on the long E2O belt clip on my belt. On a whim, I bought a Streamlight micro stream on sale. It quickly became my favorite general use light. A single AAA battery, so i dont have to order cr123 batteries, the batteries usually last weeks of hard use. Very useful amount of light without being overpowering. If not wearing Carhartts I carry it in my pants pocket. Its small enough to not be in the way.

A cheap 3 cell AAA headlamp from walmart works well for getting firewood or bringing in groceries in the dark.

21. reppans

reppans Scout

Blog Posts:
    An example of my AAA keychain backup light running on a D-cell in lantern mode.

22. Red Wing

Red Wing Guide

Blog Posts:
    Got one handheld, stays in my car and tossed into the pack when needed away from the car. Olight M2R. Love it.

23. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I have a bunch of these.

Attached Files:

24. Wapitilo

Wapitilo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Flashlights are like a drug for mechanics. 30 years ago the best lights were MagLights and in reality they were unreliable at best. I have some that are thirty years old but they require maintenance. I have a six D-cell light that only has one large dent in it. It was handy at the time. ;);) My EDC is a AAA 2 cell Streamlight. My friends made fun of me for carrying a light but one by one they've all asked to use it. Don't hear anything now. I have lights everywhere. As I said. Like a drug.

25. TrespassersWilliam

TrespassersWilliam Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Cheap Chinese aspheric zoom lens AA lights for work.

They have a nasty flicker from PWM... so ZebraLight 502c high CRI headlamp for reading / EDC.

Fenix HL60R for long night hikes.

BLF348 nichia 219 for first aid kits.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    freebirdfb, Beach Hiker and kronin323 like this.
  26. GoodPhotos

GoodPhotos Father, Husband, Patriot, Entrepreneur Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Deep in wild wooded Western foothills of Maine
    Used to get NEBOs at the local farm store, but the switches break fairly quickly. My go to now is Fenix. I have an E12 and an E11. Small enough to fit in a pocket, to hold in my left (suport( hand while shooting a pistol and light enough that I can hold it in my mouth to aim if I have to go about a 'two hand' task. (Also have a NiteEze head band that will hold that style of light.)

The 'must have' for me is that the light have low and hi power modes and that it takes a single AA. I was a wedding photographer for a long time and still have 30-40 NiMH 2400mAh AAs and a decent rapid 8 cell charger that I used for my flashes, but ANY AA will work fine. CR123 Lithium's ARE more powerful, but they are nowhere near as prevalent as AAs. I don't care if you find yourself in the remotest parts of Sub-Saharan Africa, you can knock on the door of the closest hut and borrow a AA battery.

27. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have been through lots of lights being that most of my jobs entailed needing them .
    Till they can improve the switching I am sticking with the simple on off switch type .multi function switches are a waste of time and effort . took some that failed and made them into ON / Off my self. You guys can pay for the on Rand D on that one .
    My DORCY is 2 AA on/off, switch in the tail, and the head slides from spot to flood just fine. If/ when I dies, I'll get another.
    By the way battery powered stuff your not using , put a piece of plastic between the last battery and the spring , save you equipment .and batteries. or learn the hard way .

28. Beach Hiker

Blog Posts:
    Lol. This is why I keep the big light by the bed. Right beside the axe handle.

Wapitilo and TrespassersWilliam like this.
  29. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I use a flashlight probably more than 2 dozen times during an average work day (commercial electrician).
    I started out with the old Streamlight Scorpion, which was a great EDC light back in the day. From there I went through a few Surefire models: 6P, 6Z, Aviator, and currently the G2X Pro with a Raven Concealment pocket clip.
    In the meantime I'd also picked up a Malkoff MDC, which is a superb small light, with the best pocket clip of any light I've yet owned. It's a single output, however, and for work I need a low output option.
    Looking for something with dual output (and a bit more slender than the Surefire), I posted some questions over in the Electronics forum, and through the kindness and generosity of @bam7765 I was gifted the excellent Streamlight ProTac 2L.
    It's become my daily carry light for work. I like everything about it except the pocket clip, which is my common complaint with most lights. They leave too much of the handle sticking out of the pocket, and are usually too tight to both clip onto jeans easily or remove easily. The Malkoff is the one exception to both issues.
    Recently I added a Lumintop AA, and I like it, although it has the usual pocket clip issues and gets annoyingly hot during use. But it's a solid choice for the price.
    My most recent purchase, thanks to @Wasp for the heads up on the deal, is a tiny Olight EOS. I love this one; it rides either in my pocket with the lanyard hanging out, or around my neck.
    While my search for the "perfect" EDC pocket carry light goes on, I'm well satisfied with my current selection.
    The Malkoff gets carried outside of work, the Streamlight and Lumintop get carried at work, the Olight gets carried always, and the Surefire rides shotgun in my EDC pack.
    My favorite work light, however, is hands down the Milwaukee 18v Fuel which uses the same batteries as my many Milwaukee tools. It's the best "power tool" I've bought in years. I can recommend it without reservation.
    Pics:
    IMG_20190810_122030.jpg
    Left to right-Surefire, Lumintop, Streamlight, Malkoff. Olight in the foreground.
    Here's the Mighty Milwaukee:
    IMG_20190810_121935.jpg

30. squishware

squishware Troubleshooter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Top is my custom anodized and bored Oveready 9P in BBQ Black and my warm floody Zebralight in CR123.
    Middle is my Surefire E2D head with custom light engine and Malkoff body.
    Bottom is my EDC at work McGizmo Mule HiCRI (The Light of Truth)
    I call it that because it corrects colors in it's beam to what they would be in full sunlight at 12 noon. Handy for color coded wires in blue tint lighting.
    All run lithium rechargeable batteries. I top them off every weekend.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    Ptpalpha, Beach Hiker and kronin323 like this.
  31. Glenn Rowe

Glenn Rowe aka Ventura Knife Guy Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Southern by birth; Southern Californian by Choice
    I usually carry three:

1. A tiny 3-watch-battery 1-LED light on my keychain
    2. A 1-AA aspheric zoom light in my shoulder bag
    3. A 1-AA, 2-LED light (a freebie from my friendly local gun store) inside my emergency kit.

My wife and I both keep 3-AAA flashlights on our nightstands. Others are scattered around in key locations in the house, and there's one in each vehicle.

In the garage are four multi-LED lanterns for deployment during power outages.

Beach Hiker likes this.
  32. Richinva

Richinva Lover of Sharpened Bits of Steel... Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Always have at least one on me. Use it 20-30 times a day, mostly for work. 0.4-1050 lumens, rechargeable. And yes, it tucks just fine in the band of my skivvies...............(SPOILER ALERT: No pic of me or the aforementioned skivvies) TN12.jpg 99% of the time it's this one.

Ptpalpha and Beach Hiker like this.
  33. LongChinJon

LongChinJon Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I EDC a Maratac 2xAA light. Like @GoodPhotos said, I love that AA batteries can be found nearly anywhere.

When working EMS, many times I wished I had a good pocket-size light. I carried a good belt light holster sometimes, but it was cumbersome.

I ordered a good pocket light for the first time after one night as my bride and I went into a restaurant, a man came out of the shadows, yelling at us. Turned out he just needed directions, but I was concerned about my inability to see much more than a silhouette until he stepped into the streetlight.

It is funny how, once you have a good light, you wonder how people do without.

Torrin, Ptpalpha, Beach Hiker and 2 others like this.
  34. Cascadian

Cascadian Guide

Blog Posts:
    I often use my EDC flashlight during the day. Hold it horizontally on the floor to find small dropped items. Use it in closets, cupboards, the garage, back of computer, etc.. It helps when trying to read small print on awkwardly placed items. (Our depth of field is shallower and vision more acute when our pupils are constricted by bright light.)

And for cleaning the house, such as getting rid of cobwebs, wear a headlamp. You'll be stunned at what you see.

Beach Hiker likes this.
  35. John from Alberta

John from Alberta Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I find the flashlight function on my iPhone works just fine as an EDC. When I’m in the bush I use a basic led headlamp, hands free just makes sense to me.

Beach Hiker likes this.
  36. Lars

Lars Angry German

Blog Posts:
    D07C44AF-BCDF-4147-81CE-1FEC381B7AD8.jpeg

These are the two I use.

Streamlight Microstream USB has a rechargeable battery and always in my jeans. I use it at least once a day.

I often hike, walk, or take photos at night. I always have a Fenix HM50R rechargeable headlamp in my photo or hiking pack. Also an extra CR123 battery just in case I stay out long or forgot to recharge.

Torrin and Beach Hiker like this.
  37. Beach Hiker

Blog Posts:
    Is it difficult?

38. WY_Not

Blog Posts:
    Nope. It is a direct replacement for the bulb that is in the flashlight. Open the head, remove the old bulb, insert new LED, reassemble the head.

Over here, the LED bulb runs about $10 to $20 depending on brand. I've used Nite-Ize and TerraLux with good results. A little pricier than the original bulbs but they are brighter, last longer, and don't have to worry about dropping the flashlight and the filament breaking.

Beach Hiker and kronin323 like this.
  39. Stophel

Stophel Scout

Blog Posts:
    I am very old fashioned, and I love old things and old technology, BUT....

I grew up both loving flashlights, and absolutely hating them. Because when I grew up, which wasn't THAT long ago, flashlights SUCKED. Bad. Honestly, they were little better than a lighter. I really wanted them to be better, but they weren't. Puny, DIM light, and it didn't last long, because the batteries would run out and/or the bulb would shoot out. And the batteries... oh, man, I have had SO much equipment over the years ruined by those damn leaking alkaline batteries. I got to where I simply hated anything and everything that ran on those cursed expensive, short-lived, ruinous batteries.

I still kept flashlights around, just the cheap ordinary 2D kind, with no expectations that they would last very long, even after new technology was available. I figured it probably wasn't that great anyway, plus, at first, LED lights were horrible, they flickered enough where I could see it, and they really hurt my eyes.

Finally, only a few years ago, I got my first "modern" flashlight. A MagLite XL50. 200 lumens of powerful brightness. I was floored. This thing was as bright as a car headlight. I had never seen anything like it before. Truly amazing to me. I had grown up with what was basically 1890's technology (seriously, flashlights didn't really improve much at all for a hundred years), and suddenly here was this brilliant illuminating thing that fit in my pocket. At the same time, I also discovered rechargeable batteries. No more leaking alkalines!

Now, I don't usually use the XL50 much, mostly because it uses THREE aaa batteries. Whose dumb idea was it to use three batteries? It was pretty irritating trying to charge three batteries, when the chargers took either two, or four. Now I generally use several little lights that take either one, or an even number of batteries! Nothing too expensive, I don't see the need in spending a fortune, and I generally don't want them super bright, like the 200 lumen one. I need to just be able to see what I'm doing, or where I'm going, I'm not trying to spot planes in an air invasion.

I even have rechargeable D batteries for my big, old lights, that I have put in 30 lumen LED "bulbs" in. ;)

WY_Not, Beach Hiker and kronin323 like this.
  40. rhino on INGO

rhino on INGO Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Flashlights are getting better overall and better values every time the second hand ticks on the clock. It wasn't that long ago that a 65 lumen Surefire with an incandescent lamp was the be all, end all of flashlights. Now you can get 1000+ lumens in a similar package, ultra-reliable, almost unbreakable LEDs and insane battery life on low settings for not a lot of money from a variety of makers.

Based on three experiences I had during power outages when I was in college and grad school in which I needed a flashlight (not just dark, but pitch black/no light), but either didn't have one or the batteries were dead, I now live life differently. I always have a multiple lights on my person, from "keychain" lights on my neck chain to a tiny Klarus Mi7 that makes 700 lumens with a single 14500 rechargeable (AA-size) to my trusty Fenix UC35 in my pocket. I am never without at least two sources of artificial light and usually more.

Ptpalpha and Beach Hiker like this.
  41. Matthew Post

Matthew Post Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I think I’ll always use a headlamp. Having the extra hand is handy lol pun intended

42. HoustonB77

HoustonB77 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm never without at least 1 flashlight. Rechargeable Olights have become my go to. This is my last pickup. It's a olight m2r warrior in copper. Yes its heavy but its awesome!
    20190728_133637.jpg

Torrin, Ptpalpha, bam7765 and 2 others like this.
  43. Pinelogcreek

Pinelogcreek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have shunned rechargeable lights also with the exception on one streamlight but it also takes normal batteries and is 3500 lumens. I always have a light with me either a AA streamlight, AAA Olight, or Martac AAA. I like to be able to pick up batteries anywhere or even rob them from a tv remote in a bind.

As for habits I always carry a light and still use one to find my way to the bathroom at night. I keep them in all my vehicles and my cabin. I’m looking for the right one to put on my boat. If I’m in the woods I carry two a handheld and a petzl e lite.

Beach Hiker likes this.
  44. kronin323

Blog Posts:
    You realize even if you're using AA/AAA like the three you mention, you can still use rechargeable? Get some eneloops, they will save you tons of $$ long-term and they're a lot "greener" (if you care about that) but you don't give up your freedom to rob TV remote batteries if the situation calls for it.

45. bam7765

bam7765 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My habit is I want them all

Beach Hiker likes this.
  46. kronin323

Blog Posts:
    What @WY_Not said...

There are fancy, complicated, expensive ways to retrofit Maglights that involve replacing the internals and perhaps upgrading it to LiOn, which may be the only way to upgrade them to the crazy lumen output that's so common these days.

But it's completely unnecessary. The replacement bulb WY_Not mentioned is cheap, fast, and all you need. I did a 3D with a Nite Ize bulb. Only rated for 74 lumens, you might be skeptical of the difference. Don't be. It's an amazing amount of upgrade, especially when paired with the focusing capabilities of a Maglite head. Really breathed new life into the light, totally serviceable in a modern lineup.

WY_Not and Beach Hiker like this.
  47. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It really doesn't take long to pay for themselves. And you don't find yourself not using the light when you need it to try and conserve a new battery either.

48. Stophel

Stophel Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a 2D Maglite that I put one of the 55 lumen LED's in. It throws a serious spotlight, but ain't much for illuminating the general area.

Beach Hiker likes this.
  49. Pinelogcreek

Pinelogcreek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I do and I’ve tried that in the past perhaps with new tech out now it’s worth another look.

kronin323 and Beach Hiker like this.
  50. Foulwind

Foulwind Guide

Blog Posts:
    In the Redwoods, Santa Cruz Mountains, CA.
    I've carried a LED AA minimag for 10+ years now, on my belt while wearing pants or shorts. Don't know how I survived not having one prior to the time I started carrying one all time.
    Home use we have 2 2D cell converted to LED , 1 4D cell Non LED (Wife keeps at her side of the bed for a club and 2 C-cell also converted to LED, Oh and 1 2D cell (Led) in truck.
    The C- Cell lights are my Favorite's currently, much lighter than the 2 D cell lights, and throw a spot beam just as far.
    I tried the push button on/off switches for a AA mini-mag before the AA LED models came out I liked the operation, but they killed the AA batteries super fast (like in a few days!) I think the switches had an LED in the body that sucked the batteries down constantly.
    On my work EDC pack I keep a Streamlite Nano on a on a tiny zippy cord (Badge string thingamagiggy), and a spare AA LED mini-mag in a small MOLLE pouch.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    Beach Hiker likes this.