What backpack do you use? What is your dream backpack?

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by Thejeepster, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Thejeepster

Thejeepster Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    What backpack do you use? Do you like it?

What would be the ultimate backpack for you? One that really exist, not a made up one.

I myself use a Current Army Issue MOLLE II Large Backpack and like it.

I eventually want to get the old Marine ILBE.

2. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I use a couple, trip-dependent. I use an old Jansport book bag for my normal hunting pack. I like a canvas NATA/Bundeswehr rucksack for when I need a little extra room, or as a food/kitchen pack while canoeing. The other canoe pack is a Go-Lite Gust. My backpacking pack is a ULA Conduit.

Don't really have a dream pack... I have my "gearhead" areas, but packs aren't it.

I'm looking into a chest pack, since I do a lot of map-making and stand marking, and like stuff handier than 'in my pack'.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  3. WeekendWarrior

WeekendWarrior Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My pack

I have an Eberlestock "Dragonfly"
    I like it for hunting trips, and it works good for bushcraft(IMO)

I will have a Frost River "Isle Royale" in the furture.

4. Sharp_canadian

Sharp_canadian Out There!

Blog Posts:
    I have a couple that cover a range of outtings but my most recent and current are a karrimor sabre sf75 and a snugpak sleeka force 35. I cannot ask for more out of a long term pack than the karrimore!!

Timex and loveandall like this.
  5. JV Rooster

JV Rooster Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have two packs from Hillpeople gear. One for day trips and one for camping and hunting. I love these packs. Hillpeople gear makes great packs.

6. Hawkcreek

Hawkcreek Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    These are my "dream packs" (for now anyway). As soon as I can scrape the money together I'll have a Ute.

7. Bill Cox

Bill Cox Guide

Blog Posts:
    Been using the USMC ILBE for the past year or so and love it but want to add something a little smaller, maybe santa will bring me a Kifaru Pointman.

8. t.darrah

t.darrah Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I use a Kifaru, either the X-Ray or Scout, depending on the outing.

yourboringfriend likes this.
  9. Sharp_canadian

Sharp_canadian Out There!

Blog Posts:
    I'd really like to try out a kifaru, hpg, or tactical tailor some day. Actually I don't cuz then I'd probably need to buy one. Same goes for Duluth or frost river. Baah.

10. azb

azb Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've hiked a lot of miles and worn out a lot of packs. I've also tried a lot of packs. There are some really good ones out there these days... light, rugged, and very comfortable.

I have several, including Arc'Teryx, Eberlestock, and others. My most used pack is an Osprey. It sets the standard for comfort and it has been amazingly durable for such a light pack. (2lbs for 40l)

Az

Timex and Desert_Pirate like this.
  11. barethreaded

barethreaded Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Right now i am using an East German combat pack with a thick leather belt around my waist to hook the suspenders to.It has a rubberized inner liner and it holds all the gear i need that isn't on my belt or slung across my shoulder.I also have my qama, a sporran style pouch and a knife that hangs from my belt. I hang my bed roll/cloak at the bottom and clip my mess kit to the side of it. My dream backpack i guess would be a rugged leather version of this, maybe with 2 side rings to hang my tomahawk through.

[​IMG]

loveandall and Red Ochre like this.
  12. canoesonmyfeet

canoesonmyfeet Scout

Blog Posts:
    i use a few different packs for different things.
    1. Molle 2 large rucksack for backpacking
    2. Northface Basecamp duffle for summer trips where i'm packing really light and walking no more than a mile or two.
    3. Mountain smith wazee 20 for day trips, hunting, fishing, exploring and minimalist overnighters

I think my dream backpack would be a bullpack big bull with my molle 2 thrown on there. that way i could throw my 55 liter dry bag underneath

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
    loveandall likes this.
  13. JohnnyC

JohnnyC Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Like others, I have different packs for multiple things. That being said, of all the ones I own, I only use 3 of them.

1) ULA Ohm 2.0 - Ultralight camping. Really any camping. If I'm out overnight I've got this regardless of what I'm taking. It's less the backpack than the ultralight style anyway. There's not a traditional pack around that will compare comfort wise when you're carrying 1/3rd the weight. This is my primary pack for all things. It's on my back more than any other.

2) Mystery Ranch NICE Overload - This is my serious pack. This is what I take hunting if I'm not staying at the cabin. If I'm out hunting, living in the woods, this is it. It's super comfortable, the NICE frame is the most comfortable external frame I've ever used. It carries a bunch of weight well, and it's super durable. It also carries a rifle better than anything else on the market. Yes I own Eberlestock, and honestly their rifle carry system is a comedy of compromises compared.

3) Mystery Ranch Snapdragon - This is my day pack. It's bigger than it needs to be for a day pack, I just happen to have it around. It gets carried vary little as of late, as I'm often bringing hammock/tarp/UQ on the off chance that I decide I want to spend the night. Going ultralight with everything really makes it that much easier to take a temperate weather sleep system on a whim, and change your plans as desired. As such, this is really relegated to an around-town carryall type of thing and less an outdoors pack these days.

14. Boonedoggle

Boonedoggle Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have a Kelty Cache Hauler. I want something smaller, and maybe internal frame, or frame-less.

Dream pack? That's easy...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  15. Fink

Fink Scout

Blog Posts:
    Currently, I use a $30.00 Walmart 5.11 knock off(sog) for my shower bag on the truck. Someday I hope to have Tactical Tailor make me a Kryptek Typhon version of the three day plus assault pack.

Flint_2016 and silent chad like this.
  16. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    As mentioned before packs are trip dependent so I only have 3 and all are my dream packs. Med.ALICE pack for more than 2 nights, and pictured below my F1 French Army rubber/canvas patrol pack for 1 or 2 nights and my modified Finn GM bag I wear as a chest pack for day trips.

loveandall likes this.
  17. SteelKingdom

SteelKingdom Tracker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Hi I use several
    for more technical hikes and in warmer weather I use a Berghaus freeflow 38 + 5 (an older model)
    for short outing I use an REI Lookout 40 Pack - This product is no longer available and I bought it on sale as a spare trow in the back of your car bag and it is actually surprised me both on quality and comfort
    for longer trips I have a Karrimor 65Liter bag
    my dream bag will be a custom one around 50~55Liter

loveandall likes this.
  18. Knifecraft

Knifecraft Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I use a Duluth Scout for day outings, and a Kelty Lakota 65 for weekends or more.

19. Carbonmated

Carbonmated Guide

Blog Posts:
    I use a Maxpedition Falcon II

High Sierra Hawk 40

ULA OHM 2.0

US military bag for a haversack

Next bag will be a Kelty 80l of some variety

20. pirvin

pirvin Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have used a lot of backpacks over the years . Started out with a alice pack then went to an external frame pack . Go pack but horrible for bushwacking . Then I got the marine corp Ilbe . Great pack but heavy . Love the molle all over it to attach gear . Currently Im using the kelty eagle . Its the Cadillac of back packs . Bought it dirt cheap but I see why they are so expensive . I have had up to 75 lbs in the pack and have had no issues .

loveandall and Timex like this.
  21. SCBadger

SCBadger Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I use a Kelly trekker for most of my hiking. I got a SOG barrage from Walmart to carry while hunting and a camelbak rim runner that I carry everyday but I don't usually fill it with water unless im going to be out of the truck for a while.

I do like those frost river packs ill eventually drop the coin for one of those not sure which at this time

22. Tipi_Walter

Tipi_Walter Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have a long list of using different packs for some serious backpacking trips. My first was a canvas Yucca pack w/o the frame and used back in the early 1960's.

[​IMG]
    From 1980 to 2001 I hauled alot of weight on a thousand trips with my North Face external frame pack called the Back Magic. It took me everywhere. I also used my ALICE pack (on the left) for many trips but much preferred it w/o the frame.

[​IMG]
    Here's the North Face fully loaded and getting ready for a trip in 2002 into the mountains of TN. It's supposed to have to long side pockets on each side but I took them off years ago to achieve better balance.

[​IMG]
    I finally retired my North Face pack and explored other options. One decent pack was this Kelty Ultra Tioga which I used on several trips hauling around 75 lbs. (My buddy Johnny B is filtering water on the Nutbuster trail on Slickrock Creek in NC).

[​IMG]
    This pic shows me and Johnny B on Haoe Peak with both of my packs, a Dana Designs Terraplane on the left and my Kelty Ultra Tioga on the right. I was letting Johnny use the Kelty for this trip.

[​IMG]
    I sold the Kelty and upgraded to a much better load-hauler called the Dana Designs Terraplane. The Kelty killed my hips at anything higher than 70 lbs but the Dana could handle such weight okay.

loveandall and happywanderer like this.
  23. Tipi_Walter

Tipi_Walter Tracker

Blog Posts:
    MORE PICS

[​IMG]
    Here's the Dana pack in action with Little Mitten in the Bald River wilderness in TN.

[​IMG]
    I used the Dana for several years but my trips were getting longer and I found the Dana started sagging with any weight above 75 lbs so I upgraded to a Dana Gleason pack called the Mystery Ranch G-6000, 6,000+ cubic inches of load hauling comfort.

[​IMG]
    The G-6000 at 5,300 feet on Bob Mt in some snow.

[​IMG]
    After pulling a couple 20+ day backpacking trips, I needed more room with more weight and upgraded to this Mystery Ranch G7000 which is the best most comfy pack I ever used. Sadly, Mystery Ranch discontinued all of their G-series packs and replaced them with one called, yes, the Terraplane which is really the G5000 with a different name.

I called MR last year and found out about them dumping their G line and scarfed up the last G7000 they had. Now the only really big packs MR has are in the NICE category and totally way too heavy empty, like 9 or 10 or more lbs.

Minnesota, charlesmc2, Timex and 2 others like this.
  24. Unistat76

Unistat76 Nerd Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  25. lchavezmisc

lchavezmisc Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have an EXO 3500 on the way, finally.......been dreaming about this pack all year. My bum bag is a Kifaru Zippy.

26. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Green bag of holding...yea that's the one......I'm in...

loveandall and Unistat76 like this.
  27. Elwha

Elwha Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Old Jansport internal frame pack from the 90's. Very large and very well built. Also have a smaller 1-2 day Jansport from the early 90's that I use for dayhikes (below.)

Large one
    [​IMG]

Smaller one
    [​IMG]

28. Tipi_Walter

Tipi_Walter Tracker

Blog Posts:
    This reminds me of two packs I use and strongly recommend for serious outdoorsmen---

[​IMG]
    For a 24 day winter trip, this baby will save your butt.

[​IMG]
    This is a very expensive expedition pack and should be properly fitted before purchase. Thankfully the clerks at this Outfitting store helped me with sizing and torso length.

29. lchavezmisc

lchavezmisc Scout

Blog Posts:
    Lol, perfect:)

30. BillinNM

BillinNM Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    For short hikes / day hikes I'm a huge fan of the Hill People Gear Tarahumara pack. I find it has the perfect amount of space for a day's equipment, water, and food, without providing unnecessary space that encourages over packing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kind regards, Bill

BushCraft Beats and beacon like this.
  31. Breetai

Breetai Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I used to use a North Face Badlands 60, but when it was loaded up, I felt top heavy. Did some looking around and went with Snugpak Rock Pack. I like how it distributes the weight across the the back and the built in rain cover is a great idea.

32. ineffableone

ineffableone Guide

Blog Posts:
    The pack I use is the Mystery Ranch Crew Cab, and to be honest it is also my dream pack.

Being that it easily converts from a small pack to a large one it is an amazing pack.

Before I was able to afford the Crew Cab I was rocking the ILBE, which I still have as it is still a great pack.

Now eventually I would not mind a Duluth or Frost River canvas pack, and I wouldn't mind adding a few other Mystery Ranch packs to fit on the NICE frame I have for the Crew Cab.

But the Crew Cab really is the perfect pack for me. Not to say everyone will find it the right pack for them, but for me it is a dream come true.

33. Schidtt Creek

Schidtt Creek Scout

Blog Posts:
    I use a Gregory Z65 like the one in the link. Other colors are available and it can be had for less than listed here. It's spacious and comfortable.

http://www.campsaver.com/z65-pack

fireguy286 and Timex like this.
  34. tleek

tleek Scout

Blog Posts:
    This is my dream pack, I love it. Mostly just go out for the day and it is plenty big enough for that and more. Super comfy and super well made by Jane at alder stream canvas.
    backpack and shotgun.jpg
    gifford.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Kelty-Coyote-80-Internal-Backpack/dp/B004CXEJWG
    And I have one of these if I need more space.
    I haven't been out in a loooong time and I have only used it once or twice. It is a great pack though, super comfortable and super versatile, you can cinch it down small. I also have a Kelty redwing that has held up great.

Northwest Axe and loveandall like this.
  35. TJM2

TJM2 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I use a USMC ILBE, an old Kelty internal frame, or one of several assault packs I've ended up with. My favorite is the ILBE so far but I'm about try out a medium Alice pack on a frame. My dream pack is a kifaru but I'm not sure which model.

loveandall likes this.
  36. GreatLakesWoodsman

GreatLakesWoodsman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nice pack brother that is my dream daypack (for the moment) and I'm currently on the search for one preowned as I can't bring myself to pay the full price of a new one.

Here's what I'm using now, it's my bigger daypack but compresses awesome to be used w a lighter load. Blackhawk 3 day got for a steal.
    [​IMG]

For longer I upgrade to my alice peak1 and for shorter/biking I'm using an old school camelback mule w some mods to it. Anything really long or heavy I use my kelty tioga.

My dream pack would be an Alice on some sort of super frame to make it invisible on the back but still sexy.

loveandall and CHIPPS09 like this.
  37. perrymk

perrymk Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have several packs, each for a different use.

My small go-to pack is a Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon-II Backpack. Good for short hikes with the local hiking group.

Next up is a Tactical Tailor Urban Operator Pack. A little bigger an made in the USA. For longer day hikes.

Up from that is another made in USA pack, a Spec Ops Recon Ruck Ultra with external alice frame and BDS Tactical shoulder straps. Also for longer day hikes but when extra weight capacity is needed.

I also have some larger overnight backpacks (Camp Trails) but I seldom get out for overnight trips anymore, plus I have a couple of alice packs set up for training (weighted with bricks). One uses a frame I made.

Fantasy pack
    First is to make external frames for each of the first two packs listed. The basic concept will be similar to an alice pack frame but the design approach slightly different, and it will be adjustable for length. I actually recently purchased some aluminum tubing and a new tubing bender so now need to make the time to try to my design.

Then I may take on making the pack bag. My design is mostly floating in my head although I did some sketches on graph paper. It's my take on the traditional continental ruck design. I'm thinking I may need two of these, a larger one for overnight trips and a smaller one for day hikes.

38. Chazzle

Chazzle Wandering Teacher Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I currently use a Desert Camo SDS MOLLE II Assault Pack. It is a "vet" and I had to dump and wash sand out of it, and repair a few spots before I could use it!

I would like a Woodland Camo or multicam one to blend in with my neck of the woods better, but I have not found one in my price range yet.

Chazz

39. aaronu

aaronu Armchair Bushcrafter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    off topic reference removed

Right now I have a Lookout 40 from REI. It is all the pack I need for overnighters and up to a week unless I am in snow country. In the past I've used mostly Jansport packs. I have a Spire 80 internal frame, a Scout and a Tahoma rucksack, all from the 80's. The Spire is pretty worn out but the others are still usable, or would be if I could find them.

Lately I've been toying with a bedroll and haversack combo. I have a Finnish gas mask bag and a Columbia lumbar/shoulder pack. For a bedroll I have a Soviet rain cape/shelter half (plasch palatka) with an army blanket rolled inside. I could also roll up a sleeping bag and mat inside a tarp. Hammock could roll up too or go in the haversack.

Cheers,

Aaron

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
  40. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have multiple back packs for different purposes. My favorite is the ALICE pack, just like the one I used in Boot Camp. I'm not as young anymore and my joints don't always coperate. So I have asked for a Fox Outdoor African style pack. I hope that I will be able to make a pvc frame for it. If all goes well I should have a pack that I like with less weight than my beloved ALICE.

41. Pinebaron

Pinebaron Curmudgeon Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Lots of nice packs here

I've gone through many packs in my life, from real small to real big. Right now my favorite small pack is a Camelbak HAWG (mil-spec). Not a lot of pockets and fairly open. Carries enough for a day out plus some. For a med/big pack I have a Rush 72 which is okay. I am looking at those Hill People packs though. Back in the day my favorite big pack was a Kelty Tioga. It comfortably carried everything I put in it.

Scottbackpacking.jpg

That's me and my buddy George somewhere on the Appalachian Trail in PA. I was a lot thinner then.

loveandall and Brew-Jitsu like this.
  42. FIELDCRAFTLTC

FIELDCRAFTLTC Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Dream Pack

I don't really have a dream pack. Currently, I switch between three different packs based on what I am doing.

The first is an REI Crestrail 70 if I am going backpacking for an extended time - more than a weekend (more than 3 days).
    The second is my Large ALICE for weekend (3-day) trips.
    The third is a canvas pack from LL BEAN - that I use for day and overnight trips.

Cheers.

43. Jwolf86

Jwolf86 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I use a Maxpedition Falcon II. It is a smaller pack and some people might not like it but I love it. It being smaller makes you think more about its loadout. I love being able to customize it with all of the different pouches you can attach to it via Molle.

44. backwoodstrails

backwoodstrails anatidaephobic Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I don't know if this can help, but Osprey makes a chest pack that attaches to any pack via the shoulder straps. It can also convert to a "fanny pack" if you want to throw in a few
    items for a short trek away from base camp. http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/addons/grabbag

As far as the dream pack asked about by the OP, I only have 3 requirement for my pack: (you young guys won't care about any of this)
    1) Comfortable
    2) Sturdy hip belt to take the weight off my shoulders
    3) Some kind of back ventilation/air flow

Oh wait, you said "Dream Pack" - then only two requirements:
    1) Hold all my gear
    2) Be carried by a Sherpa

AK Adventurer likes this.
  45. rocketbomb

rocketbomb Guide

Blog Posts:
    For longer trips, I've been using this pack for something like 8 years. 5500 cubic inches, it's a Kelty but branded for Scheel's. I once looked up what model of Kelty it was but long since forgot. Loads for up to a week are 45lbs or less for me, the pack is very comfortable at 35lbs or less. Still not bad at 45lbs but that's the upper limit of a load I'm willing to carry.

[​IMG]

For shorter trips I got this REI Flash 62 a couple years ago. Have not had opportunity to use it as much but for light loads of 25lbs or less it is extremely comfortable. Hoping to do some more short warm weather trips this summer with this pack, it's a pleasure to carry.

[​IMG]

loveandall and BushCraft Beats like this.
  46. Tor Helge

Tor Helge Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    For longer trips I use the Norrøna Recon pack (bought in the mid 90`s).
    An excellent framed pack and comfortable With a Heavy load.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For day trips or overnighters I use the old Norwegian army rucksack, or a 30 litre from Eagle Sharp, or my newest pack; a small army combat pack (below).
    The side Pockets are my own creation. Made from an army duffle bag.

[​IMG]

I don`t have a dream pack.
    Any pack that have room for my gear and is fairly comfortable will be just fine.

Timex, Brew-Jitsu and loveandall like this.
  47. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Quote from Seeker #2

I'm looking into a chest pack, since I do a lot of map-making and stand marking, and like stuff handier than 'in my pack'.[/QUOTE]

I use my Finn GM bag as a chest pack, very comfortable and can use original straps as is, leg strap as waist strap and shoulder strap is long enough to go under arm pits and around back of neck behind collar. Pic on this thread.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  48. medic16

medic16 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have been using a Kifaru Gen1 Zulu for about 10 years now. Really like the design. I have the new Kifaru side pouch and a back pouch coming to help organize stuff alittle better.

My dream pack would be a Gen 2 Zulu or the new tac warrior pack from Kifaru.

loveandall likes this.
  49. Idaho Rob

Idaho Rob Scout Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I have wanted a Becker Patrol Pack for 20 years....loved my ALICE lg and med...but were stolen last year...still have not settled on one I love.

50. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm sold on my condor 2, It's not very large, but neither am I. and it's pretty near bomb proof.