What do you do for a living and how does it relate to Bushcraft?

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by BushcrafterAU, Aug 14, 2019.

1. BushcrafterAU

BushcrafterAU Master Tracker Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I’m currently only 15 but I already do beekeeping and axe/knife restoration.
    I’m not yet 100% sure as to what I’m going to do when I’m finished school but I definitely want it to relate to Bushcraft or at least the outdoors somehow.
    What do you folks do for a living that relates to Bushcraft? And if it doesn’t relate to Bushcraft, how do you fit your “dirt” time in?

2. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I used to be a butcher. But had to retire due to medical issues.

Now I drive a school bus. Gives me more time to be outside. I point out animals and plants to kids when I can. Talk about fishing, animals, trees, hiking, stuff like that.

3. Howie

Howie Supporter Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Hmmm I'm a nurse how's that's apply. Well I guess I could fix boo-boo's lol. I get all my work hours in, in 3 night shifts plus a fair amount of overtime. that gives me four days sometimes to go play.

4. central joe

central joe Wait For Me!! Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Before I retired, I worked in the wastewater industry. Not directly related to bushcraft, but cleaning up the environment. joe

5. tristndad

tristndad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Field Surveyor here! A machete or a small hatchet is on my belt at least 40 hours a week. Snowshoes in the winter, bugs and brush in the summer. 20190721_154819.jpg tools of the trade

6. BushcrafterAU

BushcrafterAU Master Tracker Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Now that would be an interesting job! Could you PM me more of what you have to do so we don’t clutter up the thread too much?

7. Lee C.

Lee C. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm a carpenter. Trim/finish, framing,etc. I guess I've been pretty good at designing and building quite a bit. Doing primitive joinery with axes and other cutting tools comes pretty easy...and comes out decent too.

8. Bad_Neighbor

Bad_Neighbor Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I’m an Electrician. I work in temperature extremes, dig ditches, climb stairs and ladders all day, and basic hand tools are and essential part of my job. But the biggest way my career relates to Bushcraft is I have to be a sort of MacGyver. In my trade you have to think outside the box to solve problems every day to make something out of nothing.

9. Paul Caruso

Paul Caruso Being all that I am. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm an RN. I used to work in acute care now I work in primary care, which I like much better. When patients come to my office talk usually turns to fishing and hunting, as that is very popular in this remote area, so I get info on lots of good hunting and fishing spots. Right now it is berry season so I am also getting info on the good berry picking spots. I have also made friends with others in health care that are into fishing, hunting and bushcraft. I also get to use a scalpel quite often, which like most sharp objects is quite fun to use.

10. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'm a DIY taught computer Sys/admin for 20+ years who's lately exploring adding sql database design and admin to my repertoire. If anything, that drives me strongly to explore something with far less technology for a good balance in life.

11. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    For many years when I was younger, I trapped furs in winter, made white oak baskets, made rustic chairs, put hickory bark bottoms in chairs, and harvested botanicals for market. All these industries required me to go into the surrounding forests to search out raw materials, or animals. I was always in my fur shed, or workshop, or in the woods... Other hats I’ve worn included: logger, farmer, and carpenter,,, then I ended my working life as a History and French teacher...

A couple of chairs I made 25 years ago, when I first moved to Minnesota...

2B307F01-D2EB-4ADD-9636-0AEFF23BB17A.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  12. CSM1970

CSM1970 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    When I was in middle school, I wanted to be a Geologist. I grew up collecting rocks from all over Colorado. I went to college to be a geologist but got disenchanted the first year. I switched to Physical Metallurgy and got my degree. I got my first real engineering job with a company in Texas making drilling tools for the oil industry and stayed associated with the oil industry for 40 years. Regrettably, it has little to do with Bushcraft. But it paid well.

13. Toddg

Toddg Bushsquirrel Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    IT guy....I teach bushcraft on the side
    What I do to make money has nothing to do with what I do for love....mores the pity

14. Unistat76

Unistat76 Nerd Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Bailiff/Court Officer. Doesn't relate to bushcraft at all.

Before that, jailer. So nope.

Before that, historian. A very little bit as we researched some Civil War and early 20th stuff and that occasionally dealt with outdoor living. I talked to lots of reenactors during that time. Those foks definitely know about primitive camping.

Before that, IT. No connection to bushcraft there.

And before that, I wasn't really interested in camping/bushcraft.

15. x39

x39 Hyperborean Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Machinist and welder. So I make, repair, and modify a lot of gear.

16. Richinva

Richinva Lover of Sharpened Bits of Steel... Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Building Official in a rural county. On the backroads 4-5 hours a day, so run across lots of bushcrafty/critter stuff.

17. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sellers, Alabama, in South Montgomery County
    i'm retired. any other questions? :)

18. 556mp

556mp Bushwhacker Vendor Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've been a full time blacksmith/cutler since 2011. I live on an active farm that my lady owns, and doing so allows me to live off the land in both the sense of what is grown and harvested on the farm, as well as being able to hunt and fish to supply a majority of our meat. Deer, goose, and bunny. I do all of the repair work on the farm, rebuild tractors, trucks, etc.

It's like a dream, but far less glorious and much more work. I like it though.

19. OrienM

OrienM Guide

Blog Posts:
    For most of my career I was a craftsman/toolmaker; built guitars, bladed tools & knives, and bicycle frames, among other things. When I burned out on that, I began teaching crafts and wilderness skills at a local charter school, which has turned into a full-time job as an educational assistant. The school is very outdoors-focused in general, and most of the activities I lead include bushcraft/primitive skills in some way or other...I've taught bowdrill to over a hundred kids now! I find the work very rewarding; my students tell me they really enjoy the chance to do this kind of thing at school, too.

20. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've been a field biologist for almost 30 years now. I've worn all kinds of hats for all kinds if jobs, especially the first 6 years of seasonal/temp/contract work. It's taken me from PA to the Bering Sea to Africa and points in between. I've been fortunate. But it was all for work, not vacation.

I've been working in environmental law enforcement/regulatory compliance for the last 25 years. Performing site assessments and developing/overseeing restorations. My plant ID skills have been developed OJT as a result, which is good because I was dabbling in edible/medicinals when I got the job anyway. Work just got me in a position that placed me far ahead of where I would have gone without.

I also got into wilderness medicine on my own, but was working for the Red Cross as an instructor for a while, then became a licensed contractor and started my business in addition to my occupation.

Work hasn't directed me toward bushcraft. I was predisposed to that from the start. Work has always been an offshoot of what I was doing already anyway. But it is nice to have a job/s that keep your interest and pay you for what you are already doing.

Of course I'm in the process of applying for part time work driving a tow truck to help keep college loans down. I'm not quite sure how I can tie that into bushcraft other than it will replace the small amount if dirt time that I have now with something other than dirt time. But, paying for college is important and pays dividends in the long run if taken seriously.

21. Hawkce541

Hawkce541 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Aircraft mechanic - no connection - not enough dirt time. My bushcrafting comes by setting up a camp site next to my shed and getting dirt time there 20190803_165633.jpg

22. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I am a Radiation Physicist, it pays for my gear.

23. S.Decker

S.Decker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I drive a truck, for a living. Not much dirt time to be had, when you're gone 8 - 10 days, at a crack, home for 2, or 3. The " honey - do " list grows, exponentially, the longer you're away.
    I try to get most of my dirt time in the fall. That way, it coincides with small game season. Kinda like killing two bunnies with one stone.;)

24. OiMcCoy

OiMcCoy Scout

Blog Posts:
    For the last three years I have been working full time as an outdoor educator/wilderness guide/skills instructor. So ya, bushcraft has been a big part of my work. My interest in bushcraft has greatly shaped my experience in this industry. There is a lot of demand for people who can teach these skills. Which is why I am launching my own business right now (everything is launched, but still working on a site and more program dates).

I can say without any hesitation that bushcraft has changed my life for the better.

25. Revinmama

Revinmama Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'm a pastor. I use 1 day every 2 weeks for a prayer retreat. It always involves some form of rest, recreation, reading Scripture or devotional material, and prayer. On that day, I get outdoors as much as possible: hike in the woods or along a beach, set up a tarp and take a quick nap in its shade, sit and lean up against a tree trunk to read. I recently camped during a business trip (church conference) rather than staying in the event venue. (You can read about that here: https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/camped-five-nights-at-devils-lake-wi.257012/)

Beyond that, I take as much time as possible on days off to get outdoors, even if it is just camping or cooking in my back yard. (You can read about that here: https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/outdoor-cooking-practice-thread.227798/page-4#post-4354474 and here: https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/backyard-bushcraft-sometimes-you-gotta.249743/#post-440015.)
    Dirt time has to be in balance with household chores, other social activities and education. Good luck.

Marlene

26. Lee C.

Lee C. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Some really different skill sets here... pretty cool

27. LongChinJon

LongChinJon Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm a paramedic, so when someone gets hurt (not too often) or heat-related illness (happens more often) I can be handy to have around. I've even gotten temp work some disasters, including in the woods. It also sets you apart when applying for jobs in remote areas, I believe.

Sosteve, Lee C., bacpacjac and 14 others like this.
  28. snapper

snapper Guide

Blog Posts:
    I work with the outdoor program at a college and opened a small guiding business when my job got cut to half time at the college back in 1990. My job went back to full time in 2000 but I've kept my guide's license so I have other options. Besides, retirement is only a semester away so now I have something else to fall back on.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

29. ReallyBigMonkey1

ReallyBigMonkey1 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm a machinist, fabricator, welder and former tool and die maker so if they don't make the gear I want? I'll make it myself.

Sosteve, Moe M., bacpacjac and 21 others like this.
  30. 66drifter

66drifter Guide

Blog Posts:
    worn many hats over the years butt primary source of income was as a shop & outdoor education teacher @ the middle school level where most of my students took both classes and we did a lot of work on mending/patching/creating our own gear out of stuff from fea mkts n garage sales(provided a lot of time for family travel and various forms of outdoor play)

since retyring worked for the last few years as a volunteer in a youth wooden boatbuilding program during the summers helping wee younkers/would be paddlers realize their dreams

factor in having a home remodeling/repair business driving big trucks n busses selling hardware rigging boats for delivery to buyers(most of these didn't provide the time off my mind needed for play)

can't really remember not camping as a family activity(the only thing we could afford to do) in addition to teaching it to my middle schoolers

much of what is being called Bushcraft here is what i simply grew up calling camping and what i taught my kids in school

i didn't grow up w/ much money and neither did most of my students so we did what we had to with what we could get our hands on to achieve our goal which was playing outdoors

we fixed gear adapted gear made gear and learned how to feed ourselves in a manner we enjoyed...

31. Stone

Stone Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You keep people alive long enough for them to cultivate an interest in Bushcraft!

Sosteve, bacpacjac, Lee C. and 12 others like this.
  32. McKBrew

McKBrew Roughian #103 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I work as a supervisor for a team that does safety inspections on gas meters. I used to be one of the techs and moved up. The closest it gets me to bushcraft is working in a rural area and having to deal with the constant struggle of working or just walking off into the woods.

No time for camping , bushcraft, or anything outdoors unless it's in the backyard on the weekend. Even then being on salary I have certain things that need to get done after working hours are over for the my hourly employees.

The last few weeks have been even more exciting as we had to start working Saturdays.

I'm a bit burnt out right now and looking forward to the end of the work season on this project. I'll probably have to travel later this fall to another project but I have plenty of paid time off and I'm hoping to fit in a long camping trip sometime at the beginning of November.

33. tristndad

tristndad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You bet!

34. Broke

Broke I found my hat! LB #1 of 42 Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Freight railroad conductor. I spend a lot of time staring out the window, watching the woods and world go past. I get to walk trains on ballast periodically, not as fun as it sounds... other than occupying 90%of my time and allowing me to buy nice gear I dont have time to use, my job is not so bushcraft. I am working towards retirement. Then I can live...

Sosteve, bacpacjac, Lee C. and 14 others like this.
  35. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My job has nothing to do with bushcraft. I sit at a desk all day and peck keys on the evil machine all the while dealing with human beings who come up to my desk. I check in thousands of people a month for their doctors appointments. Some folks are good, some bad, and some just horrible to deal with.

Because it's a desk job that deals with a never ending swath of human interaction it drives me to seek and regain my sanity in the woods. The more removed I am from mankind, modern culture and social norms while doing my own thing in nature, the better I feel.

36. Lazarusaurus

Lazarusaurus Idot Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm an English instructor, and I also work for a major automotive parts house. Neither job is particularly bushcrafty.

Sosteve, bacpacjac, operatord and 8 others like this.
  37. jswi2374

jswi2374 Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'm a teacher at a school for kids with adhd, autism, and emotional disturbances. We have to do hands on stuff every class or we'd all lose our minds.
    Crafts, knots, outdoors activities, etc.
    And it keeps me awake during dull staff meetings!
    20190814_120140.jpg

38. Expo 6

Expo 6 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've not been on this site since December because of work, and for the last month I slept in the sand and dirt every night but 4. It has everything to do with the philosophy behind bushcraft. Have fun guessing ;)

39. Paul Caruso

Paul Caruso Being all that I am. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I just remembered, as a nurse, I have become quite good at self-first-aid that somehow is needed more often than not when I am out in the woods.

40. Cascadian

Cascadian Guide

Blog Posts:
    Rocket surgeon.

Sosteve, bacpacjac, Lee C. and 10 others like this.
  41. S.Decker

S.Decker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Natural born klutz, I take it?:18:

42. dial1911

dial1911 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Structural engineer... my job only relates to the woods when they're clearing it for new construction. But it pays the bills and buys things for my hobbies.

On the other hand, I'm a good carpenter!

Sosteve, bacpacjac, Lee C. and 9 others like this.
  43. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'll let you in on a little secret. Even having a job that deals with aspects of bushcraft skills doesn't always mitigate the pain of working with the public.

There are days when I actually stop and say to myself "Man, am I lucky!!" But the days when I contemplate sticking a 1/4" drill bit into my ear outnumber the lucky days by a considerable margin.

Work remains just that...work.

44. buckfynn

buckfynn Old Geezer Lifetime Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    At present semi-retired. How does it relate to bushcraft? It gives me more time to get out when I am not feeling all beat up from being old.

The short list of what I did before retiring.
    Grew up on a ranch/farm in the mountains of Idaho.
    Trapper
    Laborer
    Timber Industry -> Logger - Faller - Truck driver - Saw Mill Worker
    Uncle Sam
    Mechanic
    Welder
    Chemical Engineering & Metallurgy -> Gold Mining - Ceramic Semiconductors - Silicon Semiconductors - Analytical Chemist - R&D
    Electrical Engineering -> Ceramic Semiconductors - Silicon Semiconductors -> R&D
    MS Computer Information Technology -> Entrepreneurial Businesses
    Silent Partner in few local business ventures
    Real Estate Entrepreneur

Sosteve, bacpacjac, Lee C. and 10 others like this.
  45. Woodsman Wannabe

Woodsman Wannabe Scout

Blog Posts:
    I do outage work at power plants. It has absolutely nothing to do with bushcraft other than keeping me away from it....

46. icemanx722

icemanx722 Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    IT guy - it drives me to want to be outside.

Sosteve, bacpacjac, S.Decker and 6 others like this.
  47. aaronu

aaronu Armchair Bushcrafter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Military -> Math Teacher -> Software Industry -> Video Game Tester -> Software Engineering Consultant

Consulting means I travel a lot, typically get on a plane Sundays and on Thursdays. Fridays I work from home, meaning sit in a chair with a computer. Jet lag is my constant companion.

Time for outdoor activities is rare.

I've gotten really good at ignoring the honey-do list.

Sosteve, bacpacjac, S.Decker and 4 others like this.
  48. kisatchieman

kisatchieman Scout

Blog Posts:
    gas station attendant - 6 mos.
    electrician's helper - 1 yr.
    radar operator (USN) - 4 yrs.
    civil engineering tech (USFS) - 1 yr.---outdoors most of the time
    park ranger (USCOE) - 6 yrs.---outdoors most of the time
    park manager (USCOE) - 9 yrs.
    wildlife biologist (USCOE) - 13 yrs.---outdoors most of the time

Sosteve, bacpacjac, 556mp and 5 others like this.
  49. Foilist

Foilist Guide

Blog Posts:
    Latin teacher.

No connection, but since my job is "seasonal," I get a good chunk of free time for woodsloafing during the summer hiatus.

Sosteve, bacpacjac, S.Decker and 6 others like this.
  50. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Roughian #3 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Mmmm, knowing the scientific names of plants and animals in your AO? :33: