What do you keep in your vehicle?

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by Big ian, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Big ian

Big ian Scout

Blog Posts:
    Apologies if this has been covered, I've found a few similar threads and responses that skirt around the issue, but no definite topic.

So... what lives in your daily driver, when and why, based on where you live, where you go and what you expect to do when you get there. Feel free to rationalize with reasons of preparedness and "hey, just for some potential fun". Don't feel limited to list just bushcrafty stuff, interested in hearing about all the non-stock-in-your-vehicle inclusions and the why. Can't carry firearms around here, so no need to go into detail on these.

For example, I keep a Stanley cook set, fancy feast alcohol stove and a bottle of alcohol in my console, with a few hot drink powders (coffee & creamo, Hot choc, etc.) in case I'm unexpectedly stuck somewhere for a while, or I just want a hot drink after skiing (water accessibility isn't much of an issue where I'm at). Also included is a basic CS Mora, TP, hand sanitizer & doggy bags, and an old phone kept charged. 12v mini air compressor. Thinking of adding a t'hawk or hatchet under the back seat, and I should find a place for a dedicated shovel (in the winter I try to chuck an avy shovel behind the rear seat). Also gonna add a cheap 11' gathered end hammock & straps, and a poncho.

Would love to hear what else to consider and why. Aaaand… go!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  2. KFF

KFF Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Both cars have a dedicated mora that is forbidden to use. And then few more that can be used.
    The one unused is for emergency dispatch of a deer in case of being alive after a hit.
    Other than that just the usual starter cables, tow line.
    The towing insurance cost 5€/year and includes a ride home with a cab if beyond public transport and I am always as home is outside their range.
    The longest I have ever needed to wait for a towtruck was half an hour at two in the morning on new years eve.

3. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Gasoline, water, antifreeze, oil, windshield wiper fluid, power steering fluid, dot 3 hydrologic fluid, manual transmission fluid, air.

4. StinkBait

StinkBait Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have AAA services, I keep a tire plug kit, air compressor, jumper cables, leatherman, and an extra quart of 5w-20.

5. Glenn Rowe

Glenn Rowe aka Ventura Knife Guy Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Southern by birth; Southern Californian by Choice
    Now that I'm retired I'm almost never more than 10 miles from home, and I always wear shoes that could get me home. Because my vehicle has tech that I can't begin to work on, I carry a set of jumper cables but not much else in the way of mechanic's tools. I also carry about 2 days' of water, some minimal foodstuffs, a USGI patrol bag/bivvy cover, a disaster blanket, and a small tarp. There's a well-stocked first aid kit. I have a Mora Companion and some cordage tucked away, along with a handful of mid-sized carabiners. For most of the year I carry a rain parka and a full-zip fleece jacket.

Now, just in case I can't get to the vehicle or it gets destroyed, I carry a small PSK in the messenger bag that's always with me. The PSK is about the size of two Altoids tins and resides in a small flat zippered pouch. I also have other things, like an oversized bandanna, a Power Bar, hand sanitizer, etc tucked away in the messenger bag. Oh, and an envelope containing about $100 in small bills.

When I'm away from the car, I almost always have some kind of water bottle in my hand, clipped to a belt loop, etc.

6. anno lynke

anno lynke Tracker

Blog Posts:
    i keep a couple of zip up sweat shirts because the girlfriend always gets cold when we go to a resturant

7. GoodPhotos

GoodPhotos Father, Husband, Patriot, Entrepreneur Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Deep in wild wooded Western foothills of Maine
    In addition to my EDC haversack (psk, pfak, boolit slinger, etc...), I keep a Trauma FAK in the console...a bag with medicine cabinet stuff too (analgesics, allergy meds, monkfruit packets, a shaker of salt...) end of a Roll of commercial TP no 'core'... jerky/food bars/snacks. Behind the seat, a 40oz insulated water bottle, fire extinguisher (mounted)...a 'gun rack' mounted low (It's a Jeep TJ with a Security Box instead of a back seat...gun rack mounted on the box)...a Stanley FatMax Xtreme 55-120 FuBar III (kick ass demo tool)...a 16' telescoping monopod for really high up photos., a huge camo golf umbrella and a walking stick. In the security box/trunk I have my Get Home Backpack, an auxilliary Hidden Woodsmen Haversack...a 'potluck' mess kit, 4 - five gal plastic buckets with sealed lids...IN WHICH i keep: Tools for the Jeep, a 'stadium' (waterproof on one side warm fleece on the other) blanket, a 100% thick wool blanket, a week (or more) worth of dehydrated foods, small folding chair, silinylon tarp, 50ft of heavy climbing rope, two trekking poles, 50gal contractor bag, various water containers...I don't bother carrying a lot of water because it is heavy and I live in Maine where you are never more than 2-3' from water...just have to purify it. I DO carry both pure-tabs and several Sawyer filters. OH...(I keep remembering stuff)... and a High-Lift Extreme Jack mounted ON the security box and an Army surplus entrenching tool and a camp ax or hawk...a small snow shovel too in the Winter.

Also in the winter I carry military arctic mittens, an extra coat, snow pants, change of socks, fleece hood/face thing, snow shoes (for work) and Arctic Mucks (if I'm not wearing them.)

Probably WAY too much, but it's not in the way and there if I ever DO need it. I drive 50,000 miles a year mostly on the back roads of very rural Maine in a 23 year old Jeep with more than 300,000 miles. It's not a matter of 'if' it's a matter of 'when'. :)

8. Muskeg_Stomper

Muskeg_Stomper Tiaga & Tundra Wanderer Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I live in Alaska and my truck stays stocked with stuff to keep me alive, keep vehicles running, snd maybe have some fun on the spur of the moment.

Warm hats, gloves, mittens, plenty of spare clothing, and mukluks. A buttpack chock full of various survival items. Tool kit, jumper cables, small air, compressor, machete/saw combo, and a snow shovel during the winter months. Spare oil and winter washer fluid. Engineer tape. Spare knives and multitools, binoculars, first aid kits (large and small), pocket hand and body warmers, plenty of fire making options including a sawdust/wax fire log, coffee can cook pot, disposable foil cake pan, ratchet straps, tow rope, bungee cords, buddy burners, candles, road flares, tire sealant, spare fuses, windup flashlights, multiple sportsman's blankets, snacks, water pouches, Mainstay survival rations. I am likely forgetting more but yes, they all fit and I can still take passengers and use the truck bed.

9. Jim L.

Jim L. Guide

Blog Posts:
    Woe be unto one who hasn't any spare blinker fluid :eek: :oops: . You just never know......... :rolleyes:

CSM1970, GrayGhost, S.Decker and 8 others like this.
  10. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    During fire season or dry spells, I keep most of my gear in truck, Both base camp, and trail gear.

11. jswi2374

jswi2374 Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I keep a case of bottled water and a blanket in the van all year.

12. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    All my vehicles including motorcycles have a set of tools, not necessarily for me alone.
    All vehicles are packed with water, oil, gas, food, FAK, tow rope, baling wire, hose repair, spare parts like lights and fuel pump, tire repair, air compressor, jumper pack, blankets,
    In the winter in the mountains, a real shovel, snow chains, shrink wrap tarp to shed the snow off, 2M HAM RADIO.

S.Decker, Jim L. and blind & lost like this.
  13. blind & lost

blind & lost LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Get home bag, AAA, cold steel shovel, jumper cables, first aid kit, and my wife in case I get into a fight:eek::4:.

14. Sefton

Sefton Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Everything I need to go fishing and shooting at the property now that I'm retired.

IMG_20190913_174149.jpg
    IMG_20190913_174127.jpg

IMG_20190905_095158.jpg
    IMG_20190824_110504.jpg

Plus I keep a pack with everything to do a little Bushcraft .

P1140026.JPG

15. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    An axe.

Jim L. likes this.
  16. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    A gallon of gas and room for my a..
    I'm a minimalist :D

17. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    My truck is pretty well loaded up. :) I spend a lot of time driving and some of my jobs are pretty remote. I keep a tote in the back with enough gear to spend a couple of nights pretty comfortably. Tent, sleeping bag, stove and cooking gear, truck stable food, etc.

When I drove my van, I was good for a couple of weeks. For real. I have it set up for camping with a very comfortable bed, several tents and sleeping bags, wool blankets, plenty of stable food and drinks, tools to fix and build stuff, including axes- drawknife- brace and bits- egg beater drill- Yankee screwdriver, and so much more.

No matter what I'm driving I always have my pack with me which would give me a couple of days of relative comfort including hammock, tarp and straps. When I am going to jobs, I always fill up a two gallons Coleman water jug and take it with me. That would get me by at least until I found water that I could filter.

It would be interesting to see a vehicle shakedown, like people do with their packs. :)

GrayGhost, S.Decker and Jim L. like this.
  18. chansta

chansta keeper of the flame Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Paddles, multi tool, pfd, fishing stuff, fatwood.

Jim L. likes this.
  19. dial1911

dial1911 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Duffel bag with a change of clothes
    Few 2 liter bottles refilled with water
    One or two bottles of PowerAid
    Jerky
    Tuna/Cracker packs
    Rope
    Small Tarp
    FAK
    few spare lighters

I used to keep more sharp tools in the car, but I've been getting called out to military bases rather frequently lately and just don't want to be hassled about large sharp things. So I just have my usual pocket folder most of the time. Guns stay out too.

S.Decker and Jim L. like this.
  20. Bridgetdaddy

Bridgetdaddy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I keep jumper cables, tarp, gloves, the usual breakdown stuff. Tools. A bushcraft kit.
    For tire changing, I keep a 4 way lug wrench and a 5 ton Jack on wheels. I hate the tiny Jacks cars come with now. The lug wrenches are worthless too.
    Another thing I carry is some homemade cribbing. Fire trucks carry them to prop up a car for safety. Mine are 2x4 stacked and nailed together. 4,8,12, and 16 inches. They are to wedge under a car if I need to get under it for some reason. Buys me a few seconds if the jack lets go. I have 2 on hand. IMG_20190913_203203974.jpg

21. Pinelogcreek

Pinelogcreek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I keep a decent set of mechanics tools, electric meter, saw, knives, framing hammer, 3lbs hammer fire making gear, rain gear , ammo in various calibers, blankets, clothing, case of water, cooler, hats, compressor, shovel, various rope and tape, painters drop cloth, some wire, moving blanket, tow straps, flashlights, spare glasses, various chargers, goop hand cleanser, baby wipes, paper towels, a couple cheap hammocks, zip ties, a tennis ball or frisbee for entertainment, rubber boots, old tennis shoes, and of course toilet paper. I keep a empty pack behind the seat so that I could harvest what I might want if I had to leave the truck. Different times of the year I might have food but nothing can survive the heat of summer, I have had two cases of coke explode in the car this year from heat. Lucky Coke Zero had no sticky sugar........finally a positive to a lower sugar diet. I carry food reserves on my person sufficient so that I might not starve to death for some time. When I travel I carry a full load out pack with the intent of coming home from anywhere I might be found. The pack goes with me into hotels ect so that I’m not without it if something happens to the truck. I don’t leave firearms in a vehicle overnight but I always have some about.

22. Don_Parsons

Don_Parsons Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I keep everything in my truck,,, its my home away from home since its easy to stop at the grocery store then head out to the wilds...

A live in master peace I call it,,, gas and power included... Ha

Cheers from the North

23. Robedsubset

Robedsubset Scout

Blog Posts:
    Toilet paper...and a lot of stuff others have listed

S.Decker, Jim L. and BradGad like this.
  24. LowLands13

LowLands13 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    -Cold Steel Mini Tac knife, Surefire G2x light, Mini Bic Lighter up front with me in the center console.
    -change of clothes, winter jacket, gloves + hat, wool blanket, extra socks, Wet wipes, water and some snacks in one bag
    -Sawyer Mini Water Filter, PSK, FAK in 2nd bag
    -Assorted tools: Wrench set, drivers, hydraulic jack, jumper cables
    -Cold Steel Shovel, Fire Extinguisher

25. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I already said my axe... and I always have my PSK ...

But also a tow strap.

My Outback has now hauled three stuck vehicles off our rough ridge. Two of the three weighed much more than my scrappy Subaru.

S.Decker, Jim L. and gohammergo like this.
  26. Invictvs138

Invictvs138 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Keep a large tool box with the following:
    Boonie Cover
    Socks
    Hatchet
    Rope
    Duct tape
    MRE (Old & needs replacing)
    Small PSK
    SmAll FAK
    Trauma kit
    Army “survival” FM
    Large Wenger Folder
    Compass
    Lighters
    550 cord
    Waterproof matches
    50 rds 9mm (my normal edc)
    Small Fire extinguisher
    Road flare
    Pelican flashlight
    Jumper cables

Any given time I generally have a road bike (with tools in saddle bag)& cycling/running/PT gear

USAA roadside assistance
    Good Sam roadside assistance (RV)

Leather man surge in center console.

2” ball hitch.

I guess am hauling around a lot of crap (but hey, it’s an Expedition...)

Jim L., gohammergo and BradGad like this.
  27. gohammergo

Blog Posts:
    That's pretty much the way I look at it.

Jim L. likes this.
  28. rhino on INGO

rhino on INGO Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    When I drove my Silverado with a tonneau cover, it would have been easier to list what I didn't keep in the truck than to list everything I had all the time. People teased me about it . . . until they needed something. I miss my Swiss Army Truck.

29. Big ian

Big ian Scout

Blog Posts:
    With two toddler/baby seats still in the back seat of my truck, I'm challenged to be able to access all the items I would like to include. One other thing I forgot to mention, I always seem to have an umbrella with me, and I get a lot of use from it when the weather turns unexpectedly on my way to/from work...

There have been some excellent suggestions here, gonna give it more thought. I must say I'm surprised that most everyone is keeping it practical and utilitarian, I was expecting more toys on the lists....

Jim L. likes this.
  30. Midwest.Bushlore

Midwest.Bushlore Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hahaha! What don't I keep in my car!:p At any given time I usually have the following: Wiggy's Pac boots, 2 x Wiggy's sleeping bags, 1 foam sleeping pad, 1 Wiggy's pad, 1 tent, a splitting axe, a Silky Katanaboy and Bigboy, a couple of tarps, a few space blankets, a few MH meals, a few knives, a folding camp chair, an air pump, some tools, maybe a shotgun in the trunk, a few water bottles full of water (if it's not winter) and my Kelly Kettle. Plus a few flashlights and headlamps. Anything you need I'll be like I think I might have one in the car...:D

Jim L., S.Decker and gohammergo like this.
  31. gohammergo

Blog Posts:
    In my opinion, everyone should have a tote in their vehicle with a few basics. A change of clothing, a bit of food that won't go bad in heat or cold, blanket, flashlight, etc.

I ripped the crotch of my pants open once, about ten years ago, on the job. Had to wrap an old shirt around my waist and go into a store to buy another pair. Since then, at least 90% of the time, I have a full set of clothing with me. And not just for emergency stuff. Sometimes, after working all day I need to meet with a client. A fresh, clean shirt makes a world of difference in the way I feel.

Jim L., S.Decker, Invictvs138 and 2 others like this.
  32. Manzi1

Manzi1 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Air compressor and gloves, leather / cold weather

Jim L. likes this.
  33. gdpolk

gdpolk Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    That depends on where I'm going and the time of year. 24/7 would include a leatherman, light, jumper cables, basic FAK, tarp/cordage, "crap kit", change of seasonally appropriate clothing (I work as a pediatric occupational therapist and every blue moon I just need a change), tow straps/recovery gear, and a firearm.

I almost always have a cooler with water and some snacks leftover from the last adventure. Hunting season brings in all of the stuff needed for whatever is in season at that time. Summertime I make sure to add an ice water stash in case of emergencies (mine or other folks) which has come in handy many times.

Jim L. likes this.
  34. 66drifter

66drifter Guide

Blog Posts:
  35. Prairiewolf

Prairiewolf Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I used to carry some guns, but that was before the boating accident.

Jim L. and Invictvs138 like this.
  36. boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow Guide

Blog Posts:
    EDC in the car; Leatherman Fuse and a Flashlight that uses the CR123 batteries. There’s a tow strap in there somewhere. It’s actually a round-sling the crane guys use. The best tow strap.

Road Trip: I add jumper cables.

Jim L. likes this.
  37. PACoureurDuBois

PACoureurDuBois For God and Country --AISI #49-- --Roughian #79-- Supporter

Blog Posts:
    • Get-home bag (I'm sure you've all got one, so I wont list the contents.)
    • Extra wool blanket
    • Season appropriate change of clothes head-to-toe for Me, Her, and both kids
    • Double Badger with 5 #6 shot and 5 slugs and 50 .22cal
    • Muck boots
    • "Snackle" Box (high-calorie snacks and drink mixes)

38. HoustonB77

HoustonB77 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm in the truck business and swiTch vehicles 2 or 3 times a week. Since I cant really keep anything in my truck. I carry a get home bag that I transfer from vehicle to vehicle.

Jim L. likes this.
  39. KFF

KFF Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Nope, never had one, nor a bug out.

The only one I got is "not coming home for the night" and that has just basic toiletries and clean underwear.

Jim L., 66drifter and DKR like this.
  40. DKR

DKR Guide

Blog Posts:
    WOW

And here I thought my keeping a snow shovel (in season) and a way to make a cuppa in the rig was over the top...

I do have an extra qt of oil (never used in 20 years) and jumper cables (used by other folks several times) along with a container of HEET (yellow bottle) for the rig or my Trangia knock-off....but I've carried these for decades, mostly from force of habit from when I owned an old beater as a daily driver.

Jim L., GrayGhost and S.Decker like this.
  41. PACoureurDuBois

PACoureurDuBois For God and Country --AISI #49-- --Roughian #79-- Supporter

Blog Posts:
    A get home bag, for me, is everything I need to sustain myself for a walk home from work (23 mi/37 ki) in the event of an emergency.
    Knife, firemaking, canteen/cup, poncho, blanket, roll of bank line, high calorie food, cash money, bandanna, sidearm, phone charger, flashlight, hat, work gloves, first aid, etc.

Outdoor Dauber, Jim L. and S.Decker like this.
  42. AppalachianViking

AppalachianViking BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Tomahawk, fire extinguisher, fix-a-flat, IFAK/blowout kit, boo-boo kit, fire starting bag, some extra water, emergency food, 2 sets of jumper cables, 2.5 gallon gas can, blanket and sleeping bag, some paracord, tool box, gloves, a few lights, and some boards in the bed to help me get out of mud.

Jim L., gohammergo and S.Decker like this.
  43. Denman

Denman Scout

Blog Posts:
    I keep two boxes of ammo for each cal I own,and a well stocked for the time of year its Bugout Bag.

44. Mfraser161

Mfraser161 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I’ve got more baby/toddler EDC items these days than anything else lol
    On a daily basis in summertime I keep an IFAK (TQ , Combat gauze , OLAES bandages , medic shears etc etc) , jumper cables , folding knife and a few small tools.
    Winter time is the summertime stuff plus a grab bag with a couple of warm blankets and extra warm clothing for the kids as well as a booster pack and flashlight in case of dead battery.
    Furthest I regularly go from home these days is the mall and grocery store 10 minutes from my front door lol
    When I’m out in the woods I take a lot more gear but that’s mostly activity specific to the days fun.

Denman, S.Decker and Jim L. like this.
  45. roadwarrior

roadwarrior Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    As little as possible due to the fact we have people braking into cars all the time. I live in the country and this still happens here. I don't want to give them anything.

S.Decker, Jim L. and KFF like this.
  46. windy

windy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Right now, a can of sardines and some twinkies, an axe, a pulaski, a short shovel, 2 v-topped walking staffs, tire tools, complete mechanic's wrench set (jap), a model 59 Stevens in 410 and some shells, a box of ammo for each of my shootin' irons, gore-tex boots, socks, hippers, 100-yard targets, an old surveyors level for spotting, ear muffs and trap loads, my trap vest, an old South Bend bamboo pack rod, a Mitchell 308 with 6-lb test, a 6-wt line on a fly reel, flies and spin tackle, some rope and tow straps, zip-ties, duck and goose calls, a Silva compass, old Eddie Bauer down vest, paper plates, spare toothbrush and paste, fire maps, game management unit maps, road maps for 3 states and 2 provinces, 2 pr of binocs, a pee-bottle, a 3-gallon bucket, 2 sets of rain gear, 2 rain hats and 3 baseball caps, a 1-1/2 ton come-along, some plastic pellet-stove sacks for cleaning roads and campsites, toothpicks, old Marbles match safe w/matches, 2 Bic lighters, 3 rolls of mountain money, 1 roll of paper towels, 3 cans of fix-a-flat, motor oil, brake fluid, spare field pants, 4 pairs of gloves, 2 Russell Green River hunting knives, a hatchet, a set of wheels and axles for a buck-barrow, and some miscellaneous stuff that everybody carries. I add what I need for a planned outing, and I'm pretty well set.
    windy

47. Jim L.

Jim L. Guide

Blog Posts:
    Had an adventure today with @jasam . I was thinking of this thread during a large portion of our fishing trip......

20190914_095246.jpg

A shovel comes to mind.

An axe or a hatchet comes to mind as well. .....

20190914_095301.jpg 20190914_095234.jpg

Maybe a good tow strap and a come along to boot.

We were pulled out by friends with a 4wd, got to the fishing holes and lost some lures, and got a bit of a sun burn.

We had an adventure. We got to go fishing. Got out side in the clean air with a good friend. Met some good new people.. It was a great day with more good memories to add up.

S.Decker, Big ian and jasam like this.
  48. burlybear

burlybear Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Tow strap, shovel, jumper cables, hatchet, and basic tools in case of break down.

S.Decker likes this.
  49. bluecow

bluecow Scout

Blog Posts:
    lost french fries, old coffee cups, pipe ashes, spent matches that missed the ash tray, leaves, road grime, plus lord knows what all that might be lurking in the bed of the old truck.................................

S.Decker and Muskeg_Stomper like this.
  50. jasonandalysha

jasonandalysha Texas Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I should keep more then I have. But I do have a standard small kit with jumper cables, flashlight, orange vest, extra batteries, tow strap, small FAK. I’m sure a few more things. However whenever I do go out of town, I generally always take my rucksack.

S.Decker likes this.