What do you like for generators?

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by kid_couteau, Aug 7, 2018.

1. kid_couteau

kid_couteau Warrior Poet at Heart

Blog Posts:
    Hi All
    I am planning on buying a generator for home use

Prefer something in the 4000-6000 Watt range
    Would like to have the ability to use propane
    Electric start would be nice as well.

Please advise
    And Thank you
    Kid Couteau

blind & lost, JohnP and THRsucks like this.
  2. THRsucks

THRsucks Guide

Blog Posts:
    Saw honda had one that fit the bill with a propane converter from gasoline that would fit the bill nicely...do a little searching on youtube, i found a guy who bought an off brand but it had a honda engine for MUCH cheaper.

blind & lost likes this.
  3. Zunga

Zunga Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    +1 on Honda. The ones on jobs sites were super quiet. Probably smaller than you have in mind. But likely a feature of larger ones.
    Cheers Jim

THRsucks and blind & lost like this.
  4. blind & lost

blind & lost Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    If I ever buy another one....Honda hands down.

Zunga likes this.
  5. Swampdog

Swampdog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Buy once, cry once ... buy a HONDA, they sip gas and the money you save over the years of service pay for itself.

WILL and THRsucks like this.
  6. dads2vette

dads2vette Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Honda was out of my budget when I got mine. I now use mine on the homestead for powering my chop saw only. I was using it for everything prior to getting my solar array. I have a Sportsman 4000 watt dual fuel generator. I have only used propane as fuel. I have never had an issue in 2.5 years. Starts on first or second pull.

dave

THRsucks and JohnP like this.
  7. Dualsport225

Dualsport225 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm on the Honda bandwagon. I have 2 of the little 2k jobs but they gang together for a total of 4k. If one fails, I still have the other. If I need to vacate, I can take my electricity with me.

And I understand the carbs, as they're little mini motorcycle carbs. I can clean jets and have one running in 20 minutes if I get bit by a bad gas crystal.

The purchase hurt, but they're fantastic little machines.

On the down side, mine are neither propane or electric start. Pretty much anyone can pull start these easily, though. And they'll each run something like 9 hours on a gallon of gas.

THRsucks likes this.
  8. atlastrekker

atlastrekker Supporter Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I'd recommend the Honda too, unless you need 220. I might be mistaken, but I don't know that they can do that?

I use a Lister 6/1 CS clone with an ST5 generator head. It burns just about any kind of diesel or bio fuel I throw at it.

THRsucks likes this.
  9. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a brand X 5kw gas. Whatever gas one you use, put Stay-Bil Marine in the gas. It will save you a lot of grief, and carb rebuilds.

10. Gary V

Gary V Scout

Blog Posts:
    Grainger carries dual fuel generators in the wattage range you are looking for.

THRsucks likes this.
  11. Turtle Creek

Turtle Creek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It doesn't matter what you buy! Once you buy the generator ... you will never lose power. Well, that's the way it seemed for me anyways. LOL

Also figure out how you are going to connect up. Back feed in to the dryer plug or run a sub-panel, etc...

dads2vette and THRsucks like this.
  12. THRsucks

THRsucks Guide

Blog Posts:
    Great advice, completely forgot about that. I thought about making a root celler or earthbag enclosure for mine when i get a homestead started, (with good ventilation of course.) You'd never hear it running not even the larger ones.

Turtle Creek and atlastrekker like this.
  13. THRsucks

THRsucks Guide

Blog Posts:
    I saw the dual fuel sportsman on Walmarts Website while I was hunting around for them...the reviews looked excellent for that generator.

atlastrekker likes this.
  14. THRsucks

THRsucks Guide

Blog Posts:
    One thing about the Honda's that is an absolute godsend , i don't think anyone mentioned, is the automatic low oil shut off...a genius idea.

Swampdog and atlastrekker like this.
  15. TRYKER

TRYKER Guide

Blog Posts:
    i have a propane gen. and luv it, it's easy to store fuel as apposed to gas. BUTT, check to find someone who can do the repairs if needed. genrac will only work on there products.

16. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Honda all the way. My EG2800i (120V 20 amp 2800 watt gas jenny (+- $1,000.00) easily handled all my heat (oil fired HWBB furnace), lights and refrigeration needs during a 10 day power outage last winter in my 3 bedroom home inexpensively and quietly without a hitch. IMG_5514.JPG

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    atlastrekker likes this.
  17. dads2vette

dads2vette Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    The Sportsman I have has the low oil shut off as well. I don't know if the newer units also have that feature. If I could only have 1 generator in an emergency situation and I knew I'd be able to not get another as replacement I'd go with a Honda. They have a great record over the long run for durability and problem free use. I needed a good generator at a great price that I could count on. This one has certainly filled the bill. If I had to do it again, I'd get the same one.

dave

tomcfitz likes this.
  18. roadwarrior

roadwarrior Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    You can't go wrong with Honda products, I just sold a 5000 watt. I run my house on a 20kw Briggs Fortress.

atlastrekker likes this.
  19. atlastrekker

atlastrekker Supporter Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    How do you run all of that stuff with this generator? Extension cords, or through a separate panel?

20. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Picked up my generator at Costco, I run on propane only but have the duel fuel ability if needed. No issues running essentials in the house like refrigerator, freezer and furnace. I made an extension cord with a pig tail that I connect to the furnace after I disconnect the existing house AC input, refrigerator and freezer I just run some HD extension cords that were made for connecting RV’s to land power, goes through a box I built that has a shut off / breaker and GFI protection.

21. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Generator is connected to my house power panel via an automatic transfer switch box that isolates panel from the mains while generator is running. No extension cords needed as everything is still fed thru the normal main panel circuit breakers.

atlastrekker likes this.
  22. H3NT3

H3NT3 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Unfamiliar with propane, but do own a gas generator. It has a Subaru/Robin engine. Has been a great engine. Only spark plugs, oil, and fancy oil foam air filters. Prolly dates back to early 2000’s. We use it on our job sites to run a wet saw cutting pavers and wall caps (when customer willing to pay for the nicer finish/cut). Never gave it much attention regarding stale gas and never a carb problem. Used infrequently but when used it is used all day.
    Every Honda engine we have has been amazing. We have a plate compactor from 1998 with a Honda GX engine that has only had pull cords, oil, plugs and air filters did. Sips fuel and puts out good HP.
    All other engines are only good for under five years. Always developing carburetor problems. Eats gas to where I need to bring gas cans with me to a jobsite. Never so with Subaru/Robin and Honda!
    Got two newer incarnations of Honda GX engine couple years ago. Attached to a Muck Truck, it sips on a gas tank the size of a 20 oz soda bottle. Lasts almost two day’s worth of work!
    No special treatments given here; this manifests in other makes of engines quickly.

23. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    Can't do much better than the Honda inverter type generators especially those are built for working together so if the load is going to be greater than the one a second can link up , traditional generators cannot do this.
    This is important to me having work on equipment all my life .
    My family had an air compressor shop and helped build many businesses from their conception up .
    One fact stands out is that multiple compressors are better than one big one .
    If productivity was slowed ,one compressor could hold the load and as productivity improved the second compressor was justified .
    If for some reason service was required on one, the other could keep them going , no one standing around with their hands in their pockets waiting for the air.
    Inverter generators are primarily DC and invert to AC so essentially they link theDC portion and one inverter handles the combined output .
    Ideally the smaller if chosen can be used for the low amp loads , and only engage the second for significant loads, thus saving wear an fuel. and both do not need to be on the same fuel .

24. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    This is my shop diesel generator . I don't use it much but it's there if I need it.
    DSCN4149.JPG
    This is a unit I built for the fun of it the engine is a honda and the compressor is a Emglo and a one wire boat alternator. (excuse the mess, box fell over )
    1518817791925.jpg
    I have a 2hp electric motor on the other side of the compressor , and the compressor can also be a vacuum pump.
    It can run stop start or constant speed depending on the need at hand .
    The alternator is primarily for assisting the battery bank/solar wind mill system. It's just there if I need it . hasn't happened yet.

25. randyt

randyt Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a yamaha, had it for 25 years. Use it often, still starts easy and runs good.

26. jaydog

jaydog Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I got cheap 1200 watt from walmart just to run my wood pellet heater and a few lights. Then bought a 1400 watt champion as a backup and for other stuff. Then recently I asked my buddy who is a welder if he could teach me to weld and bought cheap Chicago Electric Flux 125 welder and all the gear for it and now I need to get at least a 24oo watt to run it out in the barn because I don't have power out there.

27. MTplainsman

MTplainsman Bushcrafter from the "naked" land........... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I would also recommend a small Honda in an easy lift portable of your choice of wattage. I have do have a 17,500 watt Generac on wheels for a bigger power plant and it has been reliable for years also.