What is the state of YOUR world?

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by gohammergo, Jul 28, 2019.

1. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

I was thinking tonight....:)...not always a good thing....:33:.... about the state of the world, and then later about the state of my world.

I need to make some improvement. :)

Heard mention about the years corn harvest. It's forecast to be very low this year. So much of our lives is corn based, probably more than we realize. I see corn based foods creeping up on cost already.

I need to grow more food. I'll have close to a year worth of potatoes, beans, peas, squash and cucumbers. Maybe enough tomato products if they keep doing as good as they have.

Need to source out more meats though.

How are things for you? In your area? I have noticed a definite, marked decline in the available foods in our stores the past couple of years. I'm big on fresh foods. :dblthumb: I have seen in our store, where they have actually remodeled the produce area to have smaller bins for the fruits and vegetables, so less looks like more.

fixits, actichy, Barry J and 14 others like this.
  2. nomad orphan

nomad orphan Scout

I have skills rather than goods.
    The gals love me.

3. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Midnight Joker #42 Lifetime Supporter

We have a fresh farm 'store' 5 minutes walking from us. Five minutes driving from me is a spot where we often get fresh eggs and other fresh animal products.

Our backyard now even has space for a herb/spice/vegetable garden to develop more.

I've been helping the parents purge/clean the house so once that is done (if it is ever done) we will have MUCH more space to increase out stores of extra food and supplies. :)

4. DKR

DKR Guide

Been - on the whole, a cool summer. We had a spot of very hot wx (100F!) and the Peony crop bloomed early. Otherwise, things are just getting to the point where it will rain every day until it starts to snow.

The Gkids came up from TX for a visit - so far this has been a good summer....

Oh, and I've dropped over 100 lbs since 1 Feb....

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  5. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Midnight Joker #42 Lifetime Supporter

Holy crap! Congrats on that dude!!! :dblthumb:

Barry J, dial1911, gohammergo and 4 others like this.
  6. highlander

highlander Veni Vidi comedit lardum Supporter

If I lived on body fat an water alone, my PSR would rise significantly on the show Naked and Afraid.
    I have 8K rounds worth and growing of .22lr, my other ammo stocks are safe until I find a permanent teaching job. I can buy more. (Edited because that sounded bad the first time)
    Food wise about 3 weeks of dry goods. I’ve used some of my extras this summer. So I’ll need to stock up.
    I’ve got reasonable trade items.
    I’m in no way a prepper, but I like being somewhat prepared for lean times, and they have been.

Barry J, jswi2374, Staleym and 8 others like this.
  7. Ron

Ron Guide

My entire honesteading operations ground to an absolute halt this year, due to injuries in shoulders, elbows and right wrist.
    No food, little firewood and none of the plans regarding water materialized.
    I will need to rely on bought stuff solely coming winter and that is no good feeling.
    But I will make an effort and focus on conservation this autumn, even if it us with bought goods.
    Looking at society as it us (Sweden) I fear we will be needing these skills soon.

Barry J, dial1911, gohammergo and 6 others like this.
  8. L0NER

L0NER -Gone Exploring- Supporter

The bad-I have watched the area I have lived for the past 50 years change. This little town no longer has any homes for rent. All the rentals have been turned into vacation rentals for people visiting Yosemite. The one or two rentals in the paper are 1200 to 1500 a month and they are mobile homes. The prices in the one and only grocery store are now tourists prices. 10 or so years ago the tourists season ended after Labor Day and started in May. Now there is no season they are here year round.
    Gas 3.79gal. Milk 4.00 gal. bread 5.99 a loaf for the good stuff. Bacon 5.99 pound. Eggs 6.00 a Dozen for organic ect.ect.
    Lots of taxes, gun laws,drugs.
    The good- I live far away from everybody. Five years worth of wood cut. 100% solar that I do need to upgrade. Enough food for 6 to 8 months. I know all the locals and most of us trade and barter a lot. Have a huge garden and fruit orchard. Wish I could have chickens but the dang bears keep killing them! Been thinking about building a cinder block chicken coop.
    Fishing,hunting and backpacking are outstanding!!
    If you hike away from the road a mile or more in Yosemite you hardly see anyone.
    This place has some of the most beautiful scenery. I’m still surprised by it quite often..

9. central joe

central joe Wait For Me!! Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Just food fer thought. I'm comfortable with what I have done, food, ammo, some cash handy, truck and tractor. But I keep some ammo and liquor as trading fodder in case I ever need it. joe

10. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

My world is very small and relatively happy.
    I'm no longer preparing for the end. I'm just living the now.

Dualsport225, x39, KFF and 18 others like this.
  11. heldfast

heldfast Tracker

My world just moved 7600 miles; 5400 of which by car, so I recently drove through a lot of other people's worlds ... it was sad in many instances. Moving makes it hard to rely on things. New place has greater vulnerabilities than previous ... we keep moving to smaller and smaller islands. But the important things are constant, and they are deep resources which are really what matter most when the "things" are scarce. Looking forward to winter!

12. jswi2374

jswi2374 Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

My world is improving. Dayton got hit by tornadoes really bad on Memorial Day. Lost 2 trees, gutters, fence, electricity, water, and roads. Patio and house roof were severely damaged.
    Downed trees cut up and removed in 2 days.
    Temporary fence up after 5 days. Dogs were happy.
    Electricity and water were back in about 6 days.
    Roads were nearly normal after about 10 days.
    House roof replaced after 12 days.
    Still working on patio roof, permanent fence, and gutters.

Water and food supplies still a bit down. They increase every time I grocery shop. I need to get some more tarps, including my first ever bushcrafting tarp! Need to get some propane but it was pretty scarce for a while.
    I'm slowly getting back to normal, restocking summer supplies and beginning to think about winter stuff.

13. Scotchmon

Scotchmon Supporter Supporter

Having just returned from a mission trip to Mexico, I’d say my world is blessed. For that I am thankful.

14. Glenn Rowe

Glenn Rowe . Supporter

I need to replenish my propane supply a bit. Otherwise we're good.

15. jswi2374

My church just sent a group to Tiajuana. What area were you in?

16. Scotchmon

Tijuana.
    Say, by chance, would you know if the group traveled on this past Saturday?
    We saw a group at San Diego airport that had just arrived. They were all wearing yellow T shirts and on the front was “Love is”....
    This was my 8th trip to Tijuana. This year we only had 12 people go, 10 from our church and two(a mom and son) from California. The original plan was for a group from the California church to join our us so we could introduce them to the mission. That church’s pastor had canned that plan due to safety concerns, but the mom and son came anyway. At least they can go back with a good report.

May God bless the group from your church and their work in Tijuana.

17. Angus McGunnigl

Angus McGunnigl Guide

.........I know that our basic infrastructure is very fragile...power, water gas.....
    .........the industrial food system relies on cheap oil, semi-trucks, computers and good roads and bridges.
    That is all.

Staleym, Guttersnipe and M.Hatfield like this.
  18. Angus McGunnigl

Angus McGunnigl Guide

True ! We went on a great adventure a few years back and it changed us.

Guttersnipe and M.Hatfield like this.
  19. jswi2374

Not them. They came back on the 22nd through Miami. My daughter (15) wanted to go but also had her plans canned for safety reasons. By me!

Guttersnipe, M.Hatfield and Scotchmon like this.
  20. Back50

Back50 Supporter Supporter

Was a Mother Earth News addict back in the late 70s early 80s. Got sucked into the “Economic Outlook” editorials. Started raising rabbits,chickens,veal calf’s. Had an enormous garden and berry patch. Was ready for the apocalypse. 2 generations have come and gone and we are still here and the gloom and doom drums still beat loudly.
    For what it’s worth,my 64 year old opinion is enjoy life now. We can’t predict the future and it will happen no matter how much we”Prepare “. Get out in the woods,make a fire and stare into it. Onward into the fog!!!

colter, happywanderer, H3NT3 and 10 others like this.
  21. Scotchmon

From my experience Tijuana is safe.
    Like many US cities, if your’e looking for trouble, you can find it. Avoid those places.
    Our policy is adult with teens at all times outside the walls of what was once an orphanage. The area around our Mission El Divino Salvador is a quiet neighborhood with a park just up the street. I often go there after a day of building homes to take a smoke, reflect a bit(which can be emotional at times!).
    The neighborhoods we build in are for the most part, below Mexican poverty level. One family’s father works in a shipping warehouse for the US equivalent of $7/day. Another family’s father worked off and on. Times he wasn’t working is spent helping others less fortunate. Less fortunate. Wow.

22. Self Reliantist

Self Reliantist Supporter Supporter

Gruntled.

Norm

M.Hatfield likes this.
  23. TWill

TWill Guide

My world includes a trip every year or three to serve our neighbors somewhere south of the Rio Grande or San Ysidro.

Mexico mission trips...we need to start a thread on service and mission trips. I was just down in Ensenada July14-20 with Yugo Ministries. Their theme this year is "Love Is...". They work with churches to serve families that a local church is committed to helping strengthen. Homes get built, VBS programs and orphanages. Much love and respect for the people in Mexico who work hard and care about taking care of family and neighbors.
    Yep, lots of hype about safety and such but you take any city here in the US and you can be about as safe or in danger as you want to be. Here in the Twin Cities I can find out ring communities where doors rarely get locked and car keys stay in the ignition. Drive 40 miles into the city and go into the wrong areas after dark and you will be rubber necking to stay alive. Two U of M swim team members were shot last night downtown on their way home with a pizza they bought. Both are expected to recover but what were they doing out at 1am taking a Lyft ride to the center of town to grab a pizza? Some people's kids!
    Food reserves are a combination of dried rice/beans/lentils and canned food both commercial and homemade. Garden here will be spitting out cukes and green beans soon along with chili peppers, onions and cilantro. We take care of our neighbors when they need it and some of those neighbors live next door or a county or country away. We don't let fear and political hype tell us what to do or not do.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    Philly-Billy, jswi2374 and M.Hatfield like this.
  24. Cascadian

Cascadian Guide

Contrary to popular opinion, the world seems to do a pretty good job of not falling apart.

x39, dial1911, pellegrino and 4 others like this.
  25. arleigh

arleigh Guide

There is always something ,
    Scuttle but says we are expecting an CME next coupe of days , Solar flare I guess .
    Missed one a few years ago by only a few days , who knows.
    Does not hurt to do a fire drill once in a while . whether it happens or not .

dial1911 and M.Hatfield like this.
  26. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

I wake up, brew coffee, eat something, drive my son to summer camp, go to work, come home, eat dinner, mess around in the garage or do something with my son, shower, make sexy time with my wife, sleep, repeat.

I’m a robot!

Oh, and today UPS delivered my hand powered leather sewing machine! Time to make more leather things!!

27. Scotchmon

So now it’s make leather things for sexy time?:rolleyes:

28. roadwarrior

roadwarrior Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

If I don't grow it myself I go to the farmers market or farm store when in season. I try to buy as little as possible from the big grocery store.

Philly-Billy and buckfynn like this.
  29. RavenLoon

RavenLoon axology student Supporter

I buy a beef quarter every year from a friend who raises beef. All grass fed organic. He is 72 and retiring though so I will be eating less beef in the future. This year I am having a new garage built and converting the old garage to a workshop. I am building a chimney now in it so I can put in a wood stove. My house is heated by propane so it will also be a backup heat source too.

dial1911 and Scotchmon like this.
  30. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Hmm, interesting idea?

31. WisconsinEric

WisconsinEric Scout

The talk I hear of lower crop yields this year seems to be accounting for good/fair weather during the harvest season. I have yet to hear anyone discuss the possibility of something other than good/fair weather during harvest season.

Solar Minimum years can be a bit cool and wet that time of year. 2009 was so wet during the harvest season farmers were required to use a massive amount of natural gas and propane at the local grain driers to get their grains ready for storage. They used so much gas that year the cost of heating fuels for common folks went through the roof. It was Nationwide News. That was solar minimum of cycle 23, this is solar minimum of cycle 24.

A few "little" problems can quickly become something much larger.

H3NT3 and gohammergo like this.
  32. Scotchmon

Sounds like you’re going to have a sweet setup, Jerry!

gohammergo and RavenLoon like this.
  33. Ridge_Runner57k

Ridge_Runner57k Scout

My year has been full of ups and downs had to rush to move out of our old place due to some disagreements between my wife and her family. I look at it more like we got thrown out cuase the minute we mentioned moving it was almost like they were rushing us out the door. But, every dark cloud has a silver lining we been living in a camper on a farm in the area for the last few months waiting on a bigger place to become available in the fall. so hopefully my the holidays we will be settled in a more normal living situation mean while living in an old camper isnt too bad having most of your possessions in a storage locker across town on the other hand sort of stinks but all good things in due time I suppose. Hopefully things are starting to look up and improve still stuck in a job I have grown tired of but figuring out how to change that. Other then that things could be bettter but they could always be worse atleast we have a roof over our head and a dry place to sleep and 3 meals a day.

gohammergo and Midwest.Bushlore like this.
  34. EXPLORATORAUDACTER

EXPLORATORAUDACTER Tracker

Were in México? what is your general opinion of the country, I would like to know, personally I am not happy with things around here (In México), I feel that there is no sense of community anymore unless there is money on the table, the new government has been a disaster wants to make this some sort of cuba, crime has rise due to corruption, cartels, smaller gangs and politicians, the gap between ultra rich and poor has grown, medium class is fading fast, I mean don't want to be alarmist but this is slowly going to the hole. maybe is because now I have kids I am looking things very different now.

35. gohammergo

That's a great positive attitude to have. :) Any kids?

When I was first married, we lived in an 8' x 35' old camper/mobile home kinda thing. It was great. :) We had more company and visitors in that place than in any since then.

Cueball77 and TWill like this.
  36. bosque bob

bosque bob Guide

Good topic and comments, thanks. I have been wondering about the state of the things today after reading like this:

"As of Sunday, which was the 216th day of the year, there have been 251 mass shootings in the U.S., according to data from the nonprofit Gun Violence Archive, which tracks every mass shooting in the country. The Gun Violence Archive defines a mass shooting as any incident in which at least four people were shot, excluding the shooter."

There are some things I simply do not understand about "my world". I see it , know it's there but remain baffled.

I live pretty spare by choice and with a bit more propane and wood for the winter I'll be set. I'd be ok without them too. About the only thing I really should do is switch the well to solar. And go fishing more often. Always that.

TWill likes this.
  37. 1911srule

1911srule Guide

They use fear mongering with exaggerated stats to drive their agenda. They keep doing it because sadly it works. If criminals shoot each other it should not be counted imho. IE; Chicago, cartels, ect.

H3NT3, WisconsinEric, TWill and 3 others like this.
  38. bosque bob

bosque bob Guide

Not sure who "they"are or what "agenda" is being promoted. Mass shootings however, are well defined and identified.

Some folks might not think mass shooting are a big deal. Unfortunate.

TWill likes this.
  39. barkoguru

barkoguru Scout

To insinuate someone here doesn’t take the shootings of innocents seriously is ridiculous and a low blow in my opinion, when you use a source like GVA, Slate, Giffords etc, to try to prove over 200 “mass shootings” have happened so far this year, yes someone is going to question the numbers, these numbers included incidents where two or four people were shot, shot at, reported they were shot at, some were killed some not, a large number in cities and states with strong gun control policies in effect, seems they are counting what was once considered everyday crime in the inner cities is now considered a mass shooting, makes good headlines and talking points though.

40. 1911srule

1911srule Guide

I have learned in my 54 years to question a lot and look at what motivates those who generate what I consider Propaganda. Somewhere generations that followed mine lost that. Question everything. Doesn't mean I'm insensitive to whatever the subject is, just means I value the truth. I refuse to ignore my BS filter that's all. That said I absolutely value an innocent life over that of the criminal. There should be a distinction in stats. Heck look how unemployment numbers have been manipulated by both sides, its wrong and we are right to dismiss lies fed to us.

happywanderer, H3NT3, Drift and 5 others like this.
  41. leghog

leghog Guide

My world is fine.

I'm set for retirement in a few years regardless of what happens in/with/to the economy.

More importantly, I'm set for eternity, which will certainly be much longer than retirement, regardless of what happens to the world or me as I can answer, today and then, "what did you do with Jesus?". Until then, I deal with and will deal with the challenges we all face as they come.

42. Ken Delano

Ken Delano Tracker

^^^^ exactly this!

happywanderer likes this.
  43. PAcanis

PAcanis Bushmaster Lifetime Supporter

I know what is going on around me, but I tend not to pay it much attention.

If something does try to change my world, I will try my darndest to change it back.

gohammergo likes this.
  44. colrbh

colrbh Scout

Not much into prepping....more like i'm prudent. Couple or three wks worth of grub and water, meds, lanterns, etc. Grow a garden , can and freeze or dehydrate. Love practicing "primitive" but wouldn't like to live it 24/7. To much going on in the world to be prepared for all that could go wrong.

glassknapper, gohammergo and TWill like this.
  45. Guttersnipe

Guttersnipe Supporter Supporter

Chaos.
    That would be a good one word answer.
    Trying to figure out where to go without jumping from the frying pan into the fire has been a challenge.
    Never been so indecisive or confused about where I want to go, or what I want to do.
    I've always been the "trailblazer". The first one to jump in, head first with no hesitation.
    After a few near death experiences, and life changing injuries, I've become a little gun shy and I hate it.
    Need to get my "mojo" back, but unsure of how to do it.
    Family and friends think I just need to accept that I'm getting older and I need to start living a "normal" life. Whatever that means...
    Live in a city, work a regular job, jump through the hoops put in front of me. Been doing this for the last year and a half and it's sucking the life out of me.
    About ready to throw everything I own in my truck and trailer and just start driving.
    I don't even know where, just away from here and towards the forest/mountains.
    I just may do just that once I've saved enough cash to get me though for about a year. Shouldn't be too long now.
    Just deciding where to go from here.
    Anyway. That's where I'm at! :eek:

TWill likes this.
  46. gohammergo

Yikes! Big stuff there! Normal shmormal! :) There has never been much about me that would be considered normal.

You want mojo back? Get out in the woods. Sit in the dirt and let the power of mother earth rise into your body. As you sit there, picture in your mind that you are sprouting roots going deep into the earth. Connect to the energy of our planet. Get grounded again.

You know what the majority of vehicle electrical problems are caused by? Bad grounds.

You know what the majority of electrical problems in a house can be traced to? Bad or improper grounds.

Get yourself grounded and watch the stresses and problems fade away. :)

Sound like some kind of tree hugging hippie talking like this, but there is a reason why I say what I do. :)

po-dunk and Guttersnipe like this.
  47. Guttersnipe

Guttersnipe Supporter Supporter

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement.
    They really mean a lot to me.
    I intend on doing that very thing in a couple weeks.
    I put in for a four day weekend last week at work.
    I really need to get away.

48. gohammergo

It happens to me too. Too wrapped up in things. Head gets clogged with life stuff. Start to getting the feeling that something is not the way it should be. Then I know it is time, and usually past time, to get to the woods. Even though I literally live in the woods, I need to get out and plant my roots again. It has been, I believe, scientifically proven that if we are actually physically connected to the earth, that it does wonders for our physical and mental health. I will often get out into the trees here and lay down on my back right on the ground and let the sun beat down on me. You will see. Touch the earth. Get down on your knees and dig your hands into the ground. Smell the fresh dirt with your eyes closed. Feel the sun on your back. You will be amazed at the difference something like this can make in a short time. Best of luck to you on your long weekend. Keep us posted on your recharging. :)

Guttersnipe likes this.