what is y'all's preferred concealed position, rig?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Paul Foreman, May 16, 2018.

1. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sellers, Alabama, in South Montgomery County
    i'll soon be carrying concealed a CZ p-07. cannot figure which position might be most comfortable. i figure OWB, either paddle or belt. so, just behind hip? on hip? crossdraw? (can't see this being comfortable while seated, driving, etc.; lots of weight hanging off belly, too.) i've always carried a small pistol IWB on hip. paddle is so stinking easy put into place and remove when back home.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  2. Wasp

Wasp We are GO for Sting! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I carry IWB just behind my hip--4 oclock position.

556mp, Denman, blind & lost and 11 others like this.
  3. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Right hand front pocket for my Ruger LCRx 3" .38.

4. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Glock 27, IWB 4 oclock. joe

5. kid_couteau

kid_couteau Warrior Poet at Heart Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Im old school I really like a good shoulder rig.

6. Velociginger

Velociginger Tracker

Blog Posts:
    G30 with inforce APL-C WML appendix IWB. Sometimes a similarly equipped G19, same position.

blind & lost, Gramp Camp, Tye and 2 others like this.
  7. LongAgoLEO

LongAgoLEO Guide

Blog Posts:
    I don't deep conceal and usually just OWB on my right hip with typical cover, but when I do need to conceal better, I go IWB SOB, palm-out (grip facing to the right side), right hand draw. Have (too) many custom holsters for this purpose, but prefer the cheapest Uncle Mike's Size 15 with no retention. Just enough of a soft pocket to keep my gun from falling into my pants. Kind of slightly higher classed version of BCC (butt-crack-carry). Very comfortable when offset to the right of the middle belt loop, putting the grip into the small of my back and providing a nice, rigid lumbar support when sitting. And zero weight-bearing, unlike hip carry.

8. 2stoves

2stoves Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Only way I am comfortable concealed carrying is in my front pocket. When I get into my truck I have a holster mounted to the side of the drivers seat which I move my handgun into. I have a box full of OWB, IWB, Shoulder rigs. Some day I will have to go through them.

9. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    There's many variables and no perfect answer. My preference for concealment is IWB, behind the hip. Outside is more comfortable though. The down side is that it's harder to get through while driving. Carrying it up front makes it easier to get to, but generally not as comfortable. Carrying on the hip just leads to poor concealment.
    The clothing you wear makes a big difference too. You can have an easier time with certain things, but you don't want to look like you're carrying based on your wardrobe. The average person might not know, but for those that do, you'll stick out. Wearing something that's unseasonably warm or oversized are giveaways.
    Carrying IWB, you can get by with a longer barrel, as it's actually the grip height that normally gets people made. This can be countered by the amount of tilt in your setup.
    Body frame makes a huge difference too. A large torso gives you more realestate to work with, but if you carry the weight up front, it doesn't help much. On the flip side, somebody that's then, but fit with a good V taper can probably hide a brick and get away with it. I could hide a full size 1911 at 150 due to my chest to waist drop.
    So basically, there's lots of variables. Try different things to find out what's comfortable to you and fits with your lifestyle/routines. Buy a quality holster and make sure that it's easy to get the gun in and out and practice drawing from concealment. You don't want to stop carrying because you didn't have the right setup.

10. plumberoy

plumberoy Guide

Blog Posts:
    • IWB 8:30 (lefty) glock 26 25 % of the time
    • Front left pocket in pocket holster glock 42 50% of the time
    • 8:30 OWB glock 42 20% of the time

11. ra2bach

ra2bach Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    whoever developed the belt slide needs to be mocked publicly and continuously till it just disappears from use...

the purpose of a holster is to protect and secure the handgun and to protect other things from it. the belt slide exposes the muzzle and front sight to wear and possible damage as well as front sight misalignment. not to mention what happens to your clothing, furniture, car upholstery, etc., from contact with the edges of your slide and front sight blade.

I have actually seen someone's gun drop on the floor in a restaurant when they sat down and the muzzle caught the chair arm and was pushed up and out of the holster. dumb, really dumb...

for OWB I prefer kydex. OWB will be less concealable and you can get some, like Safariland, with retention features and that's a good thing in my book.

for IWB I switch off between Kydex and leather. I try to tell myself that leather is more comfortable but carrying a gun is simply not comfortable, you just get used to it, more or less. for guns with shorter barrels, Kydex is more secure but I do have a soft spot for my leather IWB holsters, particularly for my 'barbeque' guns...

12. Paul Foreman

Blog Posts:
    IWB bothers me in that it will require a longer belt for the CZ. i may have to go to a gun show with an empty pistol to try a bunch of rigs. my left-handedness cuts options by about 88 percent. i'm doing a lot of right-handed shooting (that my dominant eye and long-gun trigger side). i'm a slightly better pistol shot from the right side, but slower in bringing pistol into position. i know slow is smooth and smooth is fast, but that much slower? :)

13. Paul Foreman

Blog Posts:
    by belt slide, i mean one that uses a belt, not necessarily the shorty/exposed-barrel type. i suppose i should change it to owb belt holster ... :)

14. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Guide

Blog Posts:
    40 S&W & 22 Mag fan residing in New England
    Mostly OWB, strong side 16:00.
    Occasionally appendix, pocket, ankle & chest/pilot carry too! :p

Most important part is the "carry" part.

CW

15. Gramp Camp

Gramp Camp Scout

Blog Posts:
    L-gat slide holster (strong side) w/Kimber CDP ll in 45 ACP for colder weather, Kimber Micro 9mm with sticky holster IWB left appendix with shorts and tee in warmer months.

16. Blackhawk45hunter

Blackhawk45hunter Pronounced sim-bee-duh Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Same here! Same weapon and position, in a mostly AlienGear Cloak Tuck 2.0.

‘Mostly’ being because I made a new base for it in 11oz veg tan leather to replace the neoprene one. I like the leather a LOT better.

17. ra2bach

ra2bach Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    for me, OWB is preferred for everything, IWB if I must... nonetheless, OWB is less concealable and any OWB I use in public has retention. I consider that essential...

I am left handed and right eye dominant too. it makes things interesting as I shoot long gun right handed but pistol left handed. (little known fact but Jack Weaver, creator of the Weaver Shooting Stance, was cross dominant and developed his radical right-handed cross-body hold to bring the sights in line with his left eye)

slow is smooth but practice so you can be smooth quickly...

18. ra2bach

ra2bach Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    :dblthumb:

Oakenhart and central joe like this.
  19. Paul Foreman

Blog Posts:
    can't see yer pic, ra2 ...

ra2bach and central joe like this.
  20. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    My gun of choice is usually a Glock, but I have carried many many types in the same position. From full size Glocks, 1911 commanders, Sig 320 and 239, XD .45, to compacts and a Vaquero Birdshead. Even if I carry OWB (which has been years) I still carry in the same place/location)

I dont/wont carry ankle or appendix.

21. Capin JRo

Capin JRo Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have experimented with a lot of different carry positions over the years and have always come hack to IWB 4 o'clock position with a soft holster with no retention.

22. Blackhillz

Blackhillz Scout

Blog Posts:
    Walther PPQ, OWB right hip in a Safariland ALS paddle holster 99% of the time. T shirt covers it niceley. Once in a while if I need more concealment it is IWB right hip in a Blackhawk grippy IWB hoslter with no retention.

23. dub

dub Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    G19, OWB in a Bravo Concealment BCA at 4 o'clock.

24. WILL

WILL Guide

Blog Posts:
    Most comfortable for Florida is a leather pancake strong side behind hip. If I'm in the car long periods it goes between my legs. I can conceal my Sig P938 this way with just a thin shirt. Pocket carry is a close second, but that wouldn't work for your gun..

25. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    G19 in a Fobus paddle holster @ 4 o'clock but you know this since you've seen it numerous times. :dblthumb:

Summer carry is most often my wife's G42 in right front pocket, can't remember the holster name but it's kydex.

26. trentu

trentu Guide

Blog Posts:
    Buttcrack carry and ankle holster. :4::dblthumb:

27. Dutchman

Dutchman SDO Proud. Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Walther PPS M2 w/ IWB Concealment Express kydex holster between the 9 and 9:30 position (lefty). This is a brand new gun and holster, and I am really loving how it carries. I hardly feel it there and it is darn near invisible to the public. I've tried carrying my G19 in the same type of holster but it's usually at the 8:30 position and never comfortably.

28. WILL

WILL Guide

Blog Posts:
    Paul Foreman and Usingmyrights like this.
  29. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I heard a story about a deputy that was forced to draw his duty weapon on a criminal that he was chasing when his ankle gun came loose and got kicked foward in front of the criminal, who of course reached for it. Plus it's hard to get to unless sitting.

For women, purses are one of the worst places to carry.

On a side note, something I saw just an hour or two ago was a guy walking across the parking lot into the store trying to get his pocket hoster/gun in place. Instead if taking a few extra seconds at the car, he tried to do it while walking and visibly announing that he was armed as he struggled with his setup.

ETA: As Will said, a good belt is important. You can spend a lot of money on a quality holster, just to have it fall short with a sub part belt.

30. Simplejack

Simplejack Scout

Blog Posts:
    30 dollar gun belt made by amish sold on ebay. And only the finest of leather holsters from mr grizzle. Nothing else works for me.

Gramp Camp, WILL and Paul Foreman like this.
  31. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Inside waistband... crossdraw in front of left hip.

Steve

32. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Guide

Blog Posts:
    When I'm going for a quick grocery shop I carry my S&W 642 in an Alessi Pocket Holster. It disguises the outline of the gun and it keeps it in an up-right position for a proper presentation. I also have an Alessi IWB Ny-Clip Holster. I also have an ankle Holster recommended by Massad Ayoob. Massad performed several Martial Arts exercises, testing the retention before using it himself and recommending it to others. I can't remember the name of the outfit. I have other 'rigs', depending on need and the firearn I plan to carry, including: Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 for my John Harrison Custom EMP and a Brommeland Max Con V IWB Holster and Mag Pouch for a Novak custom Browning Hi-Power. All, are well-used and, to steal a line from Ken Null, "Unseen...in the best of places." Smiles.

RB

PMSteve, Gramp Camp and Paul Foreman like this.
  33. Rustolium

Rustolium Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Apendex inside waistband. The Vanguard VG3, made by Raven Concealment Systems.

34. Medic17

Medic17 Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Kramer IWB#3 Horsehide
    4-5 O’clock

35. masiaka

masiaka Scout

Blog Posts:
    I carry my 1911 strong side IWB, 4 o'clock position. Only because the holster I have for it is a pancake holster. Everything else, IWB at appendix. The P938 is occasionally ankle carried and the SP101 is often pocket carried, but IWB is most common. By far.

My IWB/OWB pancake holsters are Simply Rugged Leather Holsters. My pocket holster is the same brand. Highly recommended. My appendix carry holsters are either Outbags (P250SC and P938 in a stretched P238 holster) or Tagua Gunleather 4-in-1 (R51 in a remolded S&W Shield holster). The Outbags is better for larger guns because it sits high and needs a bit of weight to keep from flopping. I really like them, though. The Tagua is a great all around holster for any carry method. I also have a couple Urban Carry Total Concealment holsters for IWB carry with a monkey suit. I like them okay, but any other carry method is preferable if you have the option.

36. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    G19 appendix, Haley Strategic Incog holster.
    G43 appendix, Dara kydex.
    Remington R380, back pocket Sticky holster.
    Which gets carried depends on what I'm wearing and doing, in that order.
    On the rare occasion that I carry owb concealed it'll be kydex, either from Blade Tech, Dara, or a Safariland hybrid. The only leather that I own is a *cough* belt slide given to me by a buddy when I got my first 1911.

Gramp Camp and Paul Foreman like this.
  37. dmangler

dmangler Scout

Blog Posts:
    I also carry IWB at the 4:00.
    I have a question though, do you all that carry IWB buy pants that are a inch or two bigger to accommodate your piece or do you just deal with the extra snugness.
    I dont right now, but I think the next pair of pants I buy I might get a size up just to accommodate my firearm IWB.

Gramp Camp, Wasp and Paul Foreman like this.
  38. Bax 40

Bax 40 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I carry onw with a glock 19 in Blackhawk paddle holster just behind my hip, t shirt with cover shirt open

I also carry a Glock 43 in a renagade ankle holster.

Larry

Gramp Camp and T. Pollock like this.
  39. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    My pants fit and have no extra room. I'm a little overweight, about 40 lbs, but my britches dont fall down. If I was still a 32 in the waist it might be a little different.

PMSteve, Gramp Camp and Cwlongshot like this.
  40. masiaka

masiaka Scout

Blog Posts:
    It depends on the pants and how much stretch there is to the fabric. My jeans are mostly raw denim, meaning that they aren't pre-shrunk. I just have to walk around in wet pants for a day and they've shrunk to exactly my waist size plus gun, only a little snug. The couple pairs that aren't raw denim are one size larger in the waist. Everything else I wear was bought true to size. My dress slacks and nicer khakis have just enough stretch to go up a half size without being uncomfortable, and my more casual khakis are intentionally designed to stretch at the waist (either because they're covertly tactical or because they're performance fabric golf pants). I care more about stretch than size when I'm buying clothes.

Gramp Camp likes this.
  41. yooper71

yooper71 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Strong side IWB, OWB, or pocket. Varies upon what I’m doing or wearing.

Gramp Camp and Cwlongshot like this.
  42. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Guide

Blog Posts:
    Haha,

IMHO this is something us "larger" guys deal with more than skinny folks... I buy one size larger pants for winter layering, summertime IWB gun wear and after returning from vacations. :D:p Like I like to say, options are good.

CW

PMSteve and Gramp Camp like this.
  43. slysir

slysir Guide

Blog Posts:
    Skeleton holster OWB strong side. I prefer revolvers. No room for IWB, plus I don't like the feel of the gun inside my pantalones!!

-John

Gramp Camp likes this.
  44. Paul Foreman

Blog Posts:
    thanks to y'all's concealed carry advice, i know of a couple more companies that offer well-designed paddle holsters in left as well as right models. much appreciate ALL of the help ...

45. dmangler

dmangler Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yea jeans are the worst, I'm a levis fan but I find the pockets too small for inside the pocket carry and the waistband too tight for IWB. I don't carry at work so I don't have to worry about my slacks. I have found the Duluth stretch firehose pants to be the most comfortable for IWB carry that are true to size for what I wear (32)

Park Swan and Cwlongshot like this.
  46. JohnP

JohnP No more half measures Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Exactly. I’ve conceal carried a Glock 26 like this for many years. I use a self made holster, but there are many goods ones available.

ECAEA30F-659B-4439-9A05-D739F4563791.jpeg

If I’m out in the woods, though, I OWB carry a Judge for them pesky cottonmouths.

JohnP

47. Unistat76

Unistat76 Nerd Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I carry a Glock 23 OWB (winter) or IWB (summer) at 3:00/3:30 (depending on pants.) I tried small of the back when I first started carrying, but it wasn't for me.

Just for reference, I'm 5'9" 160lbs, 32 waist. I buy 34 waist pants. When I first started carrying 10 years ago, I was 155lbs and 30 waist and would buy 32 waist pants.

Cwlongshot likes this.
  48. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    When I was a LEO, I carried a S&W J frame .38 snubbie in a OWB Safariland lined belt holster. I posted my badge on a clip right next to the .38. I always wore a loose shirt or a jacket (depending on the season) over the gun. Looking in the mirror, the gun wasn't visible. This was very comfortable and concealment was achieved.

Most folks that carry concealed, expect the firearm to become invisible. It never will be completely hidden. You want to wear clothing that cover the gun but will not attract the eye to that position.

Most folks don't even think about someone carrying a firearm, so they're not looking for one. This, more than anything else allows CCW to go unnoticed, not the brand and style of the holster. Camouflage more than carry method will keep your gun concealed. Don't try to conceal your gun under a black and red jacket with the Ruger Eagle logo front and back. You're inviting everyone to look for your gun.

Steve

Dutchman, Park Swan and Cwlongshot like this.
  49. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Guide

Blog Posts:
    Speaking of cross draw. I find it very comfortable for seated positions and riding the bike/horse. Concealment not as good as it needs to be more front closer to center. I have a DeSantis cross draw hunter for one Blackhawk that I use crossdraw. I esp like it when hunting with long and hand guns as they don't "klunk" together as easily.

I also have a nice quality leather crossdraw for my 638. its very comfortable esp as light as that lil revolver is.

BTW, Steve, I have been using your old TOPS knife more last month or so! Just wanted you to know I am enjoying it!

CW

Paul Foreman likes this.
  50. Jean

Jean Guide

Blog Posts:
    Since my butt is in a car most of the time I carry concealed - I like shoulder harnesses. I also like them for my woods gun, a bigger revolver.

Other wise, I have a small revolver with a trigger guard type holster in front pocket or a folding Naa 4in in coverall chest pocket.

Occasional I have a 911 or a slim 9mm in center of back. Also have a small Glock with a belt clip that's a grab and stuff in belt at work.

Paul Foreman likes this.