What is your dream crossbow

Discussion in 'Archery' started by James of Arc, Aug 20, 2019.

1. James of Arc

James of Arc Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have a Barber Recruit and like it but i want something way nicer.

I want something rugged i can put on my 4 wheeler and take out for days at a time with very little maintenance.

Price is no issue, it must be quiet, fast and powerful. Must be a proven killer and reliable.

What should you suggest my new crossbow be?

sea6ear likes this.
  2. James of Arc

James of Arc Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I am guessing crossbows are not big on this forum.

3. Oni

Oni Guide

Blog Posts:
    I like the Excalibur models. I like that you can put a new string on yourself. Simple, rugged and proven.

Hope to get one someday.

4. Royal Wulff

Royal Wulff Scout

Blog Posts:
    Check out Tenpoint (Tenpoint, Horton, and Wicked Ridge brands). I've been really happy with my Horton Vortec.

5. ARPILOT

ARPILOT Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a Mission (Mathews) MXB360 and my wife has the Mission Sniper Lite - both excellent bows, rugged well built fast and quiet

6. Blackhawk45hunter

Blackhawk45hunter Pronounced sim-bee-duh Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    My dream crossbow doesn’t exist yet....

I want an inverted crossbow, that can push a 400 grain bolt at 380-400fps.
    Now here’s the part that makes it nonexistent: I want the stock to be cut it two sections, right un front of the trigger group, and pinned so it can unlock and rotate 90* and lock to stay there.

My reasoning, is that I like backpack hunting. A crossbow is the most awkward thing in the world to lash to a pack when you’re packing in to a spike camp. There isn’t a ‘flat’ surface on it. By rotating the front assembly 90*, it becomes effectively flat. The scope, stock and pistol grip become in line with the prod and it is capable of laying flat against the back of a ruck, just like a sideways rifle. Push a pin and rotate back, and it’s ready to rock.

I stipulate inverted, because inverted crossbows are typically shorter, and have a longer power stroke, and I don’t want something more powerful than 400fps because then it becomes too expensive to shoot in the off season.

GingerBeardMan likes this.
  7. PAcanis

PAcanis Bushmaster Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:

Hickory Creek's Mini vertical inline take down is probably as close as you can get.
    The whole thing, with quiver and arrows, will fit in a double tennis racket bag.
    IMG_2417.JPG

8. fx77

fx77 Scout

Blog Posts:
  9. Blackhawk45hunter

Blackhawk45hunter Pronounced sim-bee-duh Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Yeah I was aware of that one, but I don’t care for verticals crossbows

PAcanis likes this.
  10. OrienM

OrienM Guide

Blog Posts:
    I wanted a medieval-style one, so I built my own :). Modern Xbows are impressive, but not really my thing. I feel a lot the same about compound bows.

11. I dream in green

I dream in green Scout

Blog Posts:
    Since we're fantasizing...

star-wars-the-last-jedi-chewbacca-bowcaster-i50034.jpg

:D

Blackhawk45hunter likes this.
  12. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    DSCN4661.JPG
    You could throw this one in your pocket for when your fancy one goes south .

13. boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow Guide

Blog Posts:
    hahha..
    yea, i'm dreaming. i have a friend, a neighbor. he is about 70 years old. he left me a note one day, with "drop by, i have a new toy to show you".

i went over first chance. he bought a RAVIN!! i dont know the models, but it is the tiny one. i would fit in my Mystery Ranch Dragonslayer..INSIDE! it is tiny. he showed me a few holes in his shed. oh o!

i mounted the scope for him. he showed me how to load it and i took a test fire. i was maybe 15 yards and the scope isnt sighted in yet, but sighting down the shaft..i knew i was going to hit his brand new target. he had a layered target about 18" thick. one of the joys of my meager existence is watching my arrow leave my bow and head to the target in a graceful rainbow path. the crossbow? errr..no. it's like a lighting bolt. gone, invisible and at the target with ZERO notification. next time, i am taking my Chronograph over. it went thru the target!! only half the pertruded out the backside. i pulled it all the way thru.

apparently, he has a cataract. he has no vision and has ZERO need for the crossbow. he is smart enough to put it away. he has eye surgery on Sept 9. i volunteered to take him. and bring him home.

man, that is the SICKEST crossbow on the planet. the arrow rides on a prong rest, no speed robbing rail. it can be uncocked. it's tiny!! the scope is already calibrated for the thing. you just sight in 20 and shoot all the way out to the triple digit distances.

i came home giddy!! my wife said. "oh hell no!!" i had no fight in me since we just bought our Asian air tickets.

i can hunt legally here in CA at Lake Sonoma for hogs (with an Xbow). i dont need a doctors note. i want one.

Mink and GingerBeardMan like this.
  14. Mink

Mink Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If money were no object, then I would be looking hard at Ravin Crossbows.