What kind of generator setup do you have?

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by Gary V, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Gary V

Gary V Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm thinking about upgrading my generator. The one I'm using now is small, a 5.50kW portable (on wheels). If we run the water pump & water heater together (with lights etc.) it will pop one of the breakers on the generator. When this happens we have only 1 side of the 220 v supply coming in to the house which causes some weird brownout situation. When I lose one phase I believe I have a miswired fixture in my house that is allowing power to pass from the hot leg in the panel to the dead leg which causes this brownout where some of the lights won't turn on until you turn something else on - then they are dim too. I didn't know the problem existed until I overloaded the generator. I believe it is a ceiling fan/light that was miswired. I'm not too worried about it since it has been this way since he house was built in 2003 but it needs to be fixed obviously.

My house wiring has been modified. The previous owners had a 2nd 200W panel installed in the house so they could separate the 1st floor wiring from the 2nd floor. A generator transfer switch was installed too. Theis selector switch toggles the supply for the 1st floor panel between "generator" or "normal". This allows me to run my 1st floor on the generator via an outside cord that was also installed.

I would like to install a larger permanent generator outside. I would appreciate any info/experience you can share. Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  2. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    How big is your generator? 550 kw is pretty large.

Gary V and marbleman like this.
  3. Redbearcat7

Redbearcat7 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a 8500 portable with what is called a “Generlink” supplied by my power company. It is outside of the meter. Green light appears when the their power is restored. 75 ft power cord also supplied by the power company
    Have used it several times with no problems. Powers everything I need. Pump, kitchen, water heater, furnace. I keep everything else to a minimum.

Gary V and NevadaBlue like this.
  4. Gary V

Gary V Scout

Blog Posts:
    What's that thing called? A decimal point?? Ooops!

NevadaBlue likes this.
  5. roadwarrior

roadwarrior Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    20kw Briggs fortress stand alone on 2 - 100 pound bottles of propane, it will run everything except for the central air and hot tub at the same time. Move up from a 5000 watt honda with a main disconnect.

NevadaBlue and Gary V like this.
  6. Gary V

Gary V Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm curious what size fuel tank does it have?
    * then I remembered you said "propane"... I had a total brain fart.

That was a sweet deal. I wish...

NevadaBlue likes this.
  7. JoeJ

JoeJ Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I’m running a Honda 6500 - My home is wired for the generator, so I just throw a switch and power the lights, 2 refrigerators, micro wave and air conditioner in the summer or the furnace in the winter. I keep it stored in the garage and just wheel it out onto the driveway when needed and run a 25 foot cable to the box in the garage. That Honda is a gas sipper and runs real quiet.

Gary V likes this.
  8. roadwarrior

roadwarrior Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I only have a sweet generator because i have a severely handicapped son who needs power 24/7. I love it when the power goes out but my wife becomes a BEAR.

Gary V likes this.
  9. Gary V

Gary V Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sorry to hear your son has this need but it's heartening know that the utility assisted. My wife is the same way about power. We lost power yesterday, late afternoon, and within 15 minutes my wife was going stir crazy and had me roll out the generator. It's like this is the time she needs to run every appliance in the house too - while she takes a hot shower. I think it's a great time to read a book myself. The power came back on early this morning. We don't generally have many problems but that's the 2nd time we lost it this past month. The first being during Michael. I want a larger generator because I'm afraid I may eventually burn out my well pump or damage something else that's costly.

roadwarrior likes this.
  10. Redbearcat7

Redbearcat7 Scout

Blog Posts:
    The only thing I need to do regularly when running more than 24 hours is to change the oil. The generator has an oil viscosity monitor. When it gets low it will not run, thus a quick oil change and back in business.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018