What kind of tarp

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by Okie Hick, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Okie Hick

Okie Hick Tracker

Blog Posts:
    i am planning on doing an over night trip soon and I bought a hammock to sleep in I saw somewhere where someone had set up a tarp over there hammock, looked like an upside down V, I thought this was cool and would keep me out of the hot sun. I don't have a tarp and is there a specific material that people use or when people say tarp is it just the blue plastics ones you can get at Walmart. Also if anyone knows of somewhere where I can get a list of basic things to have in a bag for an over night trip that would be great. I am not new to the outdoors but I am new to bushcraft style camping instead of camping out of a truck. Thanks for all the help!

Red Wing likes this.
  2. Red Wing

Red Wing Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hammock, tarp, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, metal cup or small pot, walmart greasepot is a great starter. Prob want your wood tools, knife n saw. Water purifier.

Gideons tactical just reviewed some mountainsmith camping tarp, hex, for like 50.00. Thats pretty good for a tarp that nice.

Unistat76 and NJHeart2Heart like this.
  3. Terasec

Terasec Scout

Blog Posts:
    Most start out with blue poly tarps
    Then move on to the costlier nylon type tarps
    If your camping near the car poly tarp works fine
    If you plan on hiking in poly tarps can be quite bulky

Unistat76 and NJHeart2Heart like this.
  4. Brown85

Brown85 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Bushcraft Outfitters sells 10x10 tarps for very reasonable prices. You could go the blue poly tarp route for your first trip to see if its for you. They can be had at any big box store for about $10. I'd suggest 8x10 size. If you like sleeping under a tarp you can always upgrade to something better down the line. The ripstop or silnylon tarps will be much lighter and pack smaller than a poly tarp, though they are more expensive. Here is my Etowah 10x10 tarp in the A-frame set up you described. IMG_1576.jpg

5. Unistat76

Unistat76 Nerd Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Wal Mart blue poly tarp is fine to start with. Don't forget the cordage to set it up with.

6. NJHeart2Heart

NJHeart2Heart Backyard Bushcrafter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    In addition, presuming you are by yourself and you are going to be using sharp stuff, you should put together a Personal First Aid Kit (PFAK or FAK).
    You can find a good read at BushclassUSA --> FAK to start, and we have several members who are medics who can give you some great advice on good sets.

Do a search on the Forum main page for "FAK" and you'll get a gazillion hits :)
    :40:

7. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Real good advice.....

NJHeart2Heart likes this.
  8. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Scout

Blog Posts:
    A 10x10 Sil-Nylon tarp is what I have been searching for. Something versatile and pack-able might be your best bet. At least, that is if you don't plan on having a collection of tarps. Far be it from me to tell you NOT to collect tarps! :D