What level of medical training do you have?

Discussion in 'Bush Medicine' started by Colorado Plainsman, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Colorado Plainsman

Colorado Plainsman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Are you a MD, Nurse, Paramedic, EMT,have Wilderness medicine training or First aid CPR? Did you take your education for reasons beyond your career?

I am a EMT and took the class this summer. I took it for a few reasons, one being my family hikes a lot and I wanted to be able to fix them if the become broken or take care of them if they are ill. I am glad I have these skills now knowing what to do so I don't cause more harm such as trying to move someone with a spinal cord injury without the correct steps. Being able to help friends or family if I ever had to. Feeling helpless when SHTF sucks.

2. Gryphonblade

Gryphonblade Guide

Blog Posts:
    Saint George, UT, temporarily out of state (and mi
    Heart Assoc. CPR and Red Cross First Aid last time around. I was First Responder at one time. Everything is expired right now. Need to renew, but it's kinda hard to do in this area as a private citizen. Local agencies won't do individuals...need to organize a group and I don't have time to do that right now just to renew my certs.

3. Bonehead

Bonehead Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm an EMT. I don't work as one profesionally, i volunteer and occasionally help teach. I thought they would be good skills to know as a parent and someone who spends time in the bush.

4. Keepntime

Keepntime Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Man I am small time next to you guys. I was just a combat life saver while serving in the Army for 8 years.

5. ffchris

ffchris Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Nationally registered Paramedic with all associated certifications required to maintian that cert for 7 years.

6. Buckskin

Buckskin Guide

Blog Posts:
    Was a combat lifesaver in the Army. Now I just have certs for Red Cross First Aid and CPR.

7. Colorado Plainsman

Colorado Plainsman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thats nice your cert last for 7 years. I have to recert every 2.

8. dead short

dead short Scout

Blog Posts:
    When I graduated college, I had my EMT Basic license in Michigan. It was a requirement for the curriculum I was in to take the classes, so after the classes I took the state tests and did my clinicals. When it was up for renewal I let it lapse. Now I wish I had kept it up.

9. Colorado Plainsman

Colorado Plainsman Scout

Blog Posts:
    So your a paramedic? Not sure how the military works.

10. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    all i've had is basic military first aid classes. seems like i did a CPR class once too, just for fun.

11. Howie

Howie Guide Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Emt-I and full time nursng student now.

12. Trekon86

Trekon86 Guest

Blog Posts:
    I took a WFR course awhile back in addition to my training in Scouts.
    I also took a very crappy CPR and FA course for work from the Red Cross. The new courses aren't hands-on at all, barely anyway.

PMZ

13. Dano

Dano Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Former First Responder w/AED but need to recert; current Red Cross CPR and FA, all for work.

14. Medius

Medius Scout

Blog Posts:
    Wilderness first aid, lifeguard, and CPR certified. Taking a class through my high school to become first responder certified and from there I hope to become EMT certified.

15. Zornt

Zornt Guide

Blog Posts:
    Former first responder, but like many all have lapsed. Unfortunately I cannot physicaly do this type of stuff any more. I do try to keep up on current treatments by reading everything I can get my hands on.

16. Peacelovingirl

Peacelovingirl Guide

Blog Posts:
    CPR... I got to get it updated..

17. Old School

Old School Scout

Blog Posts:
    Was an Army medic,civilian RN,trauma certified,paramedic instructor,pncc instructor,tncc instructor,CPR,ACLS instructor.....but that was in the past. Now I'm just retired.

McClintockRNCEN likes this.
  18. Jason

Jason Founder Staff Member Administrator Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Orthopedic spine surgeon. Did it for the career because it sure wasn't for fun! Before that I was a volunteer EMT in college. There are a surprising number of doctors on this site but most of them don't post much (I know of at least 25).

McClintockRNCEN, Robert Y and MDZNMN like this.
  19. DCM

DCM The more I know the less I understand

Blog Posts:
    Surgical PA for 13 years, Transplant Coordinator and procurement (harvesting and placement) for 3 years simultaneous to surgical work, Cardio Vascular Technologist for 17. Certified in CPR, ACLS, PALS, Balloon pump, First Aid from several venues. Still do it a couple of days a month to keep my hands wet and skills while maintaining my current business.

McClintockRNCEN likes this.
  20. shiangti

shiangti Scout

Blog Posts:
    EMT-B(expired), Former 68W, Blister care champion.

21. draco

draco Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I had an EMT hiking with me yesterday. He is about 15 years younger than me. I thought I was going to have to rescue him on a couple of hills. :) I should have better first aid skills but I think I am as comfortable as a person who does not do it full time can get.

22. Old Philosopher

Old Philosopher Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I received all my training courtesy of my former employer, and grateful for it. CPR, advanced first aid, blood borne pathogens, defibrillator, and a couple other random courses. Re-certification was required every 2-4 years. Not current in any certs anymore, though.

23. Grey Ranger

Grey Ranger Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm employed by USLA Certified Ocean Lifeguarding agency (agencies are certified, not individuals) and American Red Cross Lifesaving Certified. This includes extensive open ocean lifesaving training, including surf zone spinal stabilization and extraction (Imagine having to put somebody on a backboard, in the churning hurricane swelling ocean), and all the basics, CPR, AED, First Aid, Pathogens,
    In addition, though i need to re-certify, NJ State EMT I

These are all for my job, as a beach lifeguard at a popular beach destination town at the Jersey Shore.

lets just say, Mitch Buchanan aint got s&%t on me.
    Not to boast, i just love my job, and am really proud to be a lifeguard! :D

24. Carbonmated

Carbonmated Guide

Blog Posts:
    I am the guy the freaks out at the sign of blood and gives all you guys 1 more patient to work on when I pass out.

25. atvgod82

atvgod82 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I got certified for first aid and CPR through a job I had a few years ago.

26. michaelf

michaelf Guest

Blog Posts:
    Just basic first aid and CPR. None of my certifications are current but I'm a former scuba diving instructor and I taught a first aid and CPR course in conjunction with teaching diving.

My wife (my usual outdoor partner) is a working EMT. She works for the county and a private ambulance company.

I'd like to add a question to the discussion. What experience have you actually using your training?

In my case as a dive instructor it was most often used to recognize potential problems and avoid them before they became serious. For example, in diving hypothermia and hypothermia are common. Sometimes both on the same dive because we often dive in very cold water in very warm gear and weather and even dived under ice. Too often students say they're fine when they really aren't.

I've been the first on the scene of a couple of car accidents but I never actually had to do very much...activate EMS and see to traffic concerns and so on. In those instances, knowing what not to do was probably as important as anything else.

Even though I taught CPR, I've never actually had to do it in a real situation.

27. uwharriebackpacker

uwharriebackpacker Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Working EMT. Rescue Technician with the county rescue squad for 13 years.

28. wacker

wacker Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've been red cross, ashi, American heart and probably other first aid and CPR cert, many times since about fifteen. All job requirements. Lifeguard, child care, uscg. Currently ashi cert trainer. I'm looking into getting some of there wilderness certs. I'd love to get emt it's just not in the cards at the moment.

29. brutane

brutane Scout

Blog Posts:
    I started out as an EMT years ago during college. After college I worked as a critical care nurse and volunteered as a PHRN which in my state is basically the same level as a paramedic. I also have some fire fighting and rescue training to go along with it. Since that time I have returned to school to attain a couple of graduate degrees and now I work as a professional "gas passer." I still do the volunteer EMS/rescue whenever I can because I really enjoy it.

30. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    as it is now a day later, i'll take the liberty of answering this, at least as a combat lifesaver was defined before the current wars started. i looked in on a CL class about a year ago, and what they were teaching was WAY in advance of what CL guys in my era got. in my time, a CL was a soldier (one per vehicle) who'd been trained in some slightly advanced lifesaving skills, outside the normal first aid training all soldiers got. he was NOT a medic or EMT. he could administer an IV, which gave the patient a slightly better chance of surviving the 'golden hour', and sort of got one step ahead of the unit medic, who was essentially an EMT.

i think, as we've relearned the lessons of trauma care, that today's CL has probably gotten more training in blood loss prevention, airway clearing, and tools like quik clot and tourniquets, anything to improve the odds of survival long enough to get to a hospital. but i'm not certain.

31. Colorado Plainsman

Colorado Plainsman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks seeker for the answers. I know that the military has different guidelines than the civilian world.

32. carpenter

carpenter Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Certified First Aid and CPR, for my volunteer work with the Forest Service.

33. Arrowolf

Arrowolf Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm a former NREMT-B and worked as a medic for an ambulance company in Mobile and Baldwin Co, AL way back in the early 80's. In fact I found this relic when I was at the folk's house for Christmas:

[​IMG]

I was an AHA CPR instructor back in those days also. I've been through a 2 day wilderness first aid course. Now, I just have First Aid/CPR/AED cert.

Robert Y likes this.
  34. gunguy

gunguy Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm an EMT. Although I took the class for my own benefit so I never got nationally registered.

35. Taliesin

Taliesin Guide

Blog Posts:
    Military Basic First Aid
    Red Cross First Aid and CPR Certified
    First Responder Certified

36. Grits

Grits Guide

Blog Posts:
    I certified as an EMT in 1984. I thought it would be useful for all the outdoor stuff I was doing back then (backpacking, rock & mountain climbing, whitewater paddling). Never worked an ambulance, though the cert helped me get a slot for Volunteer Firefighting School in Utah in 1986.

Got my Wilderness First Responder cert through Wilderness Medical Associates in 1988. Also got my National Search and Rescue cert that year.

I like being prepared. Mostly I've never used my training (knock on wood). I have treated and evacced one case of acute mountain sickness from 17,00 feet Ixtacihuatl volcanoe in Mexico, and a couple of bee sting anaphylaxis cases in NC & GA.

The rest has been treating a few folks for blisters, minor cuts and burns, GI distress, minor heat stroke & hypothermia, and sprained ankles.

37. kinzei

kinzei Scout

Blog Posts:
    NREMT-P, licensed paramedic in TX. Also rescue certified. Currently inactive except as ERT member at the chemical plant I work at. I plan on finding a volunteer service soon to help keep my skills fresh. I only have basic protocols at the plant.

38. mulligan918

mulligan918 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    NREMT-P, state of MS paramedic and firefighter/rescue, work 911/fire dept. Been doing for 13 years.

39. MedicineMan68

MedicineMan68 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Texas/ NREMT EMT-Intermediate and WFA/ FA/ CPR instructor Currently a nursing student on hiatus and finishing up my Paramedic Licensure. Former FMF Corpsman. (In IRR now-yay!)

40. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    As a former LEO I was required to take CPR and first responder courses. As you can imagine, in that line of work I saw a lot of dead and dying along with the less serious blood and guts...

Later in life I worked at a Gold Mine in Nevada and the site was remote (I was working security). We were required to become EMT II certified.

After that I moved on to the Post Office and there were only CPR requirements.

I let my EMT certification lapse but I still have the knowledge - As I get older, I'm sure the knowledge will also lapse...

41. MiddleWolf

MiddleWolf Guide

Blog Posts:
    Navy corpsman, now non-current EMT Basic.

42. Tom's Backwood's

Tom's Backwood's Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    First responder from my volunteer fire fighter day's....... AKA Just enough to get me in trouble....lol....

43. SluggySlugworth

SluggySlugworth Scout

Blog Posts:
    CPR and first aid certified.

44. MtnManJoe

MtnManJoe Guide

Blog Posts:
    Of the various and many aspects of Bushcraft/Wilderness-Trekking/Survival/etc. that are, and have been such a big part of my entire life, 'First-Aid' and 'medical' matters are the area I am most lacking in :-(
    I REALLY NEED TO FILL IN THAT GAP!!!
    ... Hell - even my FAK is only made up of some DuckTape, a small (ancient) roll of 'bandage tape', and some 'medicinal salve' My Wife makes.
    OK - I have been doing this 'woods-stuff' for ~60 years, and "ain't dead or debilitated yet", So, I guess either I am "Truly and Wonderfully Blessed", or extremely lucky?

45. foxfire

foxfire Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Past Advanced EMT level 2, 6 yrs, vol FF 5 yrs, Nurse 24 yrs now.

46. Firemanjohn

Firemanjohn Tracker

Blog Posts:
    In addition to being a certified firefighter, I am an EMT and also a water rescue tech.

47. Arson

Arson Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Para............Medic...........Ka-Pow!!!

48. bypassoverload

bypassoverload Scout

Blog Posts:
    BLS cert and full time nursing student

49. woodrat

woodrat Scout

Blog Posts:
    Currently certified as a Wilderness First Responder. Was also an EMT-B for a while, but let that certification expire a couple of years ago.

50. JerseyJohn

JerseyJohn Scout

Blog Posts:
    I work in a kitchen, lol. I know my way around burns and lacerations. Always try to keep duct tape around as a handy bandage, and I remember a lot of my first aid training as a scout. Think I was CPR certified as a scout too. I should really take another class and get up to date. Last year a customer was choking, but his waiter ran into the kitchen and told us he was having a heart attack but was still conscious so we told the dumb*ss to call 911. Luckily a manager figured it out and gave him the Heimlich before it got serious.