what Revolver (s ) do you conceal carry?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by scottman, Aug 8, 2018.

1. scottman

scottman Guide

Blog Posts:
    Where do you carry it/them? what model? whats your build and dress like? Can you operate it with mitts?

pics?

2. Unistat76

Unistat76 Nerd Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    A S&W J frame .38 spc. If it is the only gun I'm carrying, it's in a pocket holster. If it's as a backup gun, it's in an ankle holster. I'm 5'9" and fairly thin. I cannot operate it with mitts. I can with gloves though.

savage99nc and hglass like this.
  3. Lee C.

Lee C. Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm 6'..185 or so and routinely carry a Smith 686... Even in hot weather here in VA I just throw on a light fishing shirt over the weapon. Carried a govt model 1911 for years same way.. cooler weather even easier. Wether I'm in woods, fishing, hunting or in town this is how I carry. Have a proper gunbelt and quality holster is key. Sometimes,if I just duck out to take pups out,I throw a j frame on..pocket or clip the iwb holster in shorts or jeans..

savage99nc likes this.
  4. Lee C.

Lee C. Scout

Blog Posts:
    Oh.. about the mitts...no,don't own any. Some light gloves,yeah..but nothing heavy you may wear in very cold weather.

5. plumberoy

plumberoy Guide

Blog Posts:
    Only revolver I own, I carry in a gerber multi-tool sheath/pouch

1911srule and Lee C. like this.
  6. mtngunr

mtngunr Scout

Blog Posts:
    These....

[​IMG]

The two Colts are carried mex strongside, the Bodyguard on left belly with Barami Hip Grip, all three require covering garmet hanging loose over them as for access, and for tucked and tight, the G43 carried mex left belly inverted and grip outboard, accessible thru shirtfront placket with zero printing. The NAA in front right pocket with knife of the day and keys below it. This all with a 5'10" 160 lb old scrawny military guy with high and tight, steely eyed gaze, and surrounded by Bond girls who make even typing this diffi.....SHOO!!!

In colder weather, the Bodyguard or 43 in field jacket or parka pocket, anything else buried and inaccessible until cold weather gear removed. All work fine with gloves, and they make shooter mitts with index finger separate if you just GOTTA have mitts for some reason.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  7. scottman

scottman Guide

Blog Posts:
    Clarification: outdoor research/shooters mitts is what I meant.

Thanks for the responses keep em coming!

8. Bax 40

Bax 40 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    2 1/2 inch j frame or 3 inch j frame in a Renegade ankle holster

9. Mackay Sagebrush

Mackay Sagebrush Scout

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I carry a J Frame in my support side front pocket most days. Doing LE work it was my BUG gun and saw constant use in that role. I do not however consider it a primary gun. I do practice with it probably far more than most. Mine has seen thousands of rounds of wadcutters and semi wadcutter handloads and I am pretty comfortable with it on IPSC sized targets out to about 50 yards.

I don't wear mitts when trying to shoot it. It rides in a Milt Sparks pocket holster.

10. slysir

slysir Guide

Blog Posts:
    An old Charter Arms Police Positive six shot .38spl carried 4 o'clock, mostly in the summer.

[​IMG]

SP 101 when a little heavier clothing is required. Of course down here in Florida that's relatively speaking.

[​IMG]

-John

11. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Only have one

S&W 640 Jframe in 357mag .

Mostly if I carry it. As I dont carry it much. I have it carried appendix with a kydex copy of the RCS Vanguard on a dummy cord .

12. reppans

reppans Scout

Blog Posts:
    649 or 638 (summer), Sticky holder, and AIWB - it's a deep conceal and I tuck my shirts. Doesn't matter what I wear, works with anything from shorts and T-shirt to suit and tie, and even backpack hipbelts.

[​IMG]

13. RebelYell

RebelYell Scout

Blog Posts:
    I’m 5’11”, 182 lbs. EDC gun is a 2017 Colt Cobra 38 Special +P in an OWB open top pancake leather holster. Ammo is carried on Quickstrips in two Tough Products coyote brown nylon pouches on the belt (Galco gunbelt) with two speedloaders in right vest pocket and two Quickstrips in the left pocket.

This time of year, I wear a lightweight summer CCW vest over them. In cooler weather, I wear a canvas 19th Century style four-pocket western vest from Frontier Classics with my extra ammo and other junk you would carry in a “wearable man-purse” (told that to my woman dentist and she got a hoot out of the description! Then wanted to know where I got it. Over that, I wear a lightweight sports coat from Duluth Trading.

All my pants are now either Duluth Trading Firehose pants (for working on stuff), and my every day pants are Duluth Trading Fire-Flex lightweight stretchy pants. Got enough room to carry a NAA .22 WMR BUG. All have cargo pockets...so I can carry my iPhone some where other than where I sit! Hip pocket makes no sense to me for phone carry! Never broke a screen yet...grand daughter carries in a hip pocket, broke four.

On several hasty town trips, I’ve concealed a S&W Model 25 with 2-1/2” barrel in an opentop leather pancake and a S&W short barrel Model 69 in a Galco Miami Classic shoulder rig before, under this easily.

Now, my dress up go to town gun is a lightweight S&W M&P 340 in .357, but I carry it stoked with 158 grain JHP 38 Specials. They get concealed by lightweight vest in summer, and sport coat & western vest in fall/winter.

During winter months, I drop a S&W Bodyguard 38 in the outer right pocket of my Filson Mackinaw Cruiser or hooded parka so I don’t have to dig through my layers to get to my CCW holstered gun.

Point is... I dress around my weapons, not the other way. I wear loose fitting clothes that don’t print weapons. My comfort level is what I have taken the time and discipline to condition myself towards. I do not wear tight-fitting designer clothes, I’m too old for that nonsense. I detest flip-flops and short pants. It's a thing I have...just not my bag. I want my legs protected and footwear that I can move in and that will stay on my feet. I don’t wear “tactical” stuff either, but rather stylish working clothes in browns or greens, depending on time of year. I learned to be prepared and when the SHTF, you’ve only got what you came with.

This is my EDC gun while working around the property, and when a hasty trip to Home Depot, Walmart or the dump is called for, I throw on a vest and keep on trucking. Very good trigger. After shooting this gem, I kicked my J-Frames to the curb.
    2D6D4767-741E-4136-B8D5-978FD44663F3.jpeg

This is my “dress up go to town”gun. It came with a tritium night sight. I plan to replace it with a 2018 Colt Night Cobra, as soon as I can lay my hands one one.
    93283C51-2689-42DA-B604-B1D8DD63C6FB.jpeg

This is what I keep in my winter overcoat pocket. Lightweight and surprisingly easy to shoot. I changed the grips and installed a tritium front night sight.
    A28EE6FF-2FAD-4FC4-9A21-1EF8B53BFEF0.jpeg

This swing-out cylinder NAA Sidewinder is my pocket BUG that I keep in my town pants. I have a NAA Ranger 2 top break (no picture) in the same make holster in my every day wear pants.
    CE0AA2B3-F872-4231-AD17-F32E256CE643.jpeg

This little gem is what I have in my pajama bottom pocket right now as I sit in my recliner sipping Bushmills Irish and typing this response. I drop it in my pj’s when I go out in the morning to feed the yard cats in case a copperhead or timber rattler slithers up or that pesky coon gets in their feed bowls. It is a 11 oz, 7-shot S&W 351 C in 22 WMR.
    FE3BBD7D-9314-4CD9-9755-34C91F130CE9.jpeg

14. Dancing Bear

Dancing Bear Scout

Blog Posts:
    Where do you carry it/them? What model?

1. S&W 638 Bodyguard .38 Special ( the one I carry most often) in a pocket holster, belt slide, Kydex IWB, or just dropped in an outside pocket. I carry it mostly as a BUG in the winter or pocket gun to 7-11. It was my first CCW weapon. Way easier to shoot IMHO than some will tell you.

2. Taurus Ti Tracker 4" SS .357 Mag, 7 shot and S&W 4 " SS J frames in .22LR and .22 WMR (63 and 651 respectively) I have IWB, belt slide, pancake and shoulder holsters for them. I only carry them rarely, usually under a jacket when outdoors. I switch them out depending on activity. The same belt slide and shoulder holsters work for all the pistols mentioned. The belt holsters for the Tracker and J frames differ. All three are very accurate and LW. Loaded, with rubber grips they weigh within a few ounces of each other -right at 29 oz. I can hit 10" gongs at 50 yds consistently with all three. I carry the 651 most often, I use it on grouse, badgers, rabbits, etc.

Though I don't carry them often, the revolvers are plenty useful for CCW and compare well with my Glocks for size and weight. I can use them quite well and they are more adaptable for outdoor use than the Glocks.

Whats your build and dress like?

1. Build; 5'11", 285 lbs, 54" chest, 40-42" waist. I am a porker, a pretty husky one though.

2. Dress; I am retired so pretty casual.

Can you operate it with mitts?

1. No. With Glo mitts, yes.

15. roadwarrior

roadwarrior Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    An old Smith 357 with a 2-3/4" barrel. I cant find the model on it.

16. jstert

jstert Scout

Blog Posts:
    E8B8EE1B-4E77-4E14-BD3E-3DCA0B6B5865.jpeg F518BBBC-9550-4418-92EF-00C41B41C739.jpeg

a naa 22lr “bug out” mini revolver goes every populated place where i must be very discrete, i.e. no holster. the naa rides in the front pocket inside a small cellphone case, with a speedstrip reload. i unzip the pouch when i leave my front door.

i also like a ruger lcr 22lr and a s&w 642 38sp in a iwb holster when i wear a jacket or untucked shirt, or sometimes a ruger bearcat 22lr in a fanny pack.

if i need to wear gloves then i ccw a guard-less, open trigger, bond arms derringer.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  17. slysir

slysir Guide

Blog Posts:
    Open the cylinder...the model is stamped on the frame under the crane. :dblthumb:

If it's blue I'm going to guess it's a Mod 19...stainless Mod 66

-John

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  18. jstert

jstert Scout

Blog Posts:
    from rebelyell: “I’m 5’11”, 182 lbs. EDC gun is a 2017 Colt Cobra 38 Special +P in an OWB open top pancake leather holster. Ammo is carried on Quickstrips in two Tough Products coyote brown nylon pouches on the belt (Galco gunbelt) with two speedloaders in right vest pocket and two Quickstrips in the left pocket.

This time of year, I wear a lightweight summer CCW vest over them. In cooler weather, I wear a canvas 19th Century style four-pocket western vest from Frontier Classics with my extra ammo and other junk you would carry in a “wearable man-purse” (told that to my woman dentist and she got a hoot out of the description! Then wanted to know where I got it. Over that, I wear a lightweight sports coat from Duluth Trading.

All my pants are now either Duluth Trading Firehose pants (for working on stuff), and my every day pants are Duluth Trading Fire-Flex lightweight stretchy pants. Got enough room to carry a NAA .22 WMR BUG. All have cargo pockets...so I can carry my iPhone some where other than where I sit! Hip pocket makes no sense to me for phone carry! Never broke a screen yet...grand daughter carries in a hip pocket, broke four.

Point is... I dress around my weapons, not the other way. I wear loose fitting clothes that don’t print weapons. My comfort level is what I have taken the time and discipline to condition myself towards. I do not wear tight-fitting designer clothes, I’m too old for that nonsense. I detest flip-flops and short pants. It's a thing I have...just not my bag. I want my legs protected and footwear that I can move in...”

excellent reply rebelyell, thank you. your taste in handguns, clothing style and whiskey is most commendable.

a couple of questions: i recall that the new colt cobra had alot of teething troubles when it was introduced last year, you seem happy with yours, how is it? your naa and one j frame are 22wmr, how are they as shooters? i traded away a ruger lcr 22wmr, but love my lcr 22lr and purposely chose 22lr for my naa, because 22wmr out of a short barrel didn’t seem worth it. thanks.

19. Prairiewolf

Prairiewolf Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    S&W 637 or 9mm Shield

Cornhusker likes this.
  20. RebelYell

RebelYell Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thank you. Tonight I’m Going to sample some Laphroaig 10 year old peated single malt and maybe a Glenfiddich 14.

I absolutely love my 2017 Colt Cobra. Never had a single hiccup. One of the very few guns that I didn’t need to modify to suite me. Usually I have to change grips or sights. But not this one. Grips are great, and fill my large hands (I wear an XL glove). Sights are good enough for EDC in the woods. The double action pull is light and smooth with no stacking and the trigger break is crisp. I like the enlarged trigger guard because I’m Always working around the property with gloves.

My daughter has weak hands and cannot pull the trigger on my Century frame Smiths, yet she had no trouble with the double action on the Colt. For daytime, the hi-viz front sight is easy to pick up and the gun shoots to point of aim with 158 grain bullets. I carry it stoked with Buffalo Bore 158 grain cast SWC “Outdoorsman” +P loads. I live in the woods and usually carry a CCI snake load indexed up for copperheads and timber rattlers followed by 5 of the B.B. loads. For town, I swap out to six HPR 158 grain JHP for anti-personnel use.

Now I gotta get another one! I am jonesing for a 2018 DAO Colt Night Cobra with tritium night sight and G10 grips to be my new town gun for when I get “all purdied up”. Colt got this one right and I am a Smith / Ruger man!

Think again... There are 22 WMR loads specially developed for short barrel revolvers that use fast burning powders such as the Hornady Critical Defence 45 grain and the Speer Gold Dots. The Hornady loads have a synthetic nose expander to prevent denim from plugging the JHP. Those are the only loads that I carry in any of my 22 WMR revolvers, whether my NAA, S&W J-Frames and Century Frames (351C & 351PD) or my Model 48. Standard 22 WMR loads are designed for peak performance from rifle barrels. The handgun loads are a whole different ballgame. Also, CCI 22 Magnum shotshells are deadly on copperheads and timber rattlers. I use them in the 351C.

The NAA Sidewinder and Ranger 2 are quicker to reload than the standard NAA 22 WMR revolvers. The Ranger 2 is the bomb! These guns are intended to be carried as a back-up to your carry gun if for some reason you get surprised. They are not primary. They group well in the 7 to 15 yard range, but really shine when stuck in a dudes eyeball. The S&W 351 C is a different animal. That one is accurate enough to pot squirrels at close range. Better sights, better grip but the DAO trigger will be stiffer because that is the nature of rimfires. Takes bigger whollop to crush the rim so heavier hammer fall.

I didn’t have a picture of this one in my original post. This is the NAA Ranger 2.
    553C7029-BC97-4308-8A3A-AF125691620D.jpeg

21. HoustonB77

HoustonB77 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    S&W 642

Wasp likes this.
  22. Dougcraft

Dougcraft Tracker

Blog Posts:
    S&W 642 (actually Gunsmoke 637, but same thing essentially) in a Garrett Industries holster.

23. Robert Highhawk

Robert Highhawk Scout

Blog Posts:
    image.jpeg

45 Colt, stuck down my jeans between 3 and 4

Swampdog and jstert like this.
  24. JeffG

JeffG Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've been known to carry this little devil under a field jacket on occasion...
    Ruger Vaquero, 44 mag.

[​IMG]

1911srule and Lee C. like this.
  25. plumberoy

plumberoy Guide

Blog Posts:
    pictures NAA 22 lr
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

alukban, carpenter, 1911srule and 7 others like this.
  26. Bronco68

Bronco68 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    IMG_0190.JPG I cannot always carry concealed, but when I do, I carry this.

JeffG likes this.
  27. Swampdog

Swampdog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    2014-06-24 20.41.52.jpg

(Not my photo) This is my set up, appendix carried IWB with shirt worn outside of trousers.

I'm 5' 10" 210 lbs. and don't wear mitts in Florida. It's a S&W 340 .357mag that I load with

Speer Gold Dot .38 SPL+P 135 gr. GDHP ammo.

JeffG likes this.
  28. 1911srule

1911srule Scout

Blog Posts:
    JeffG and Swampdog like this.
  29. Polecat

Polecat Polecat in a Poke Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My backup gun is a NAA 4" .22WMR in home-made pocket holster. I made it so you pull back so the holster hooks inside the lip of the pocket and comes free with drawing. Butt sticks out of pocket just a smidge, but I don't care.

[​IMG]

For the larger caliber main gun, I carry some variety of automatic when I CCW, usually a 1911-alike (Ballester-Molina) because they are so thin. Big revolvers are just too thick, IMO. That being said, I usually just open carry the main gun, because this is America and anyone that wants to get offended about it can feel free to self-deport to the socialist craphole gun-control utopia of their choice. Usually an automatic, but sometimes a 4" Colt Trooper MkIV.

alukban, Wasp, JeffG and 1 other person like this.
  30. 1911srule

1911srule Scout

Blog Posts:
    That's what I call a close range "eye socket gun". I carried one for awhile(black widow shorter bbl), then sold it. I used flat nose CCI fmj. Get it in their brain housing group and bounce around, they'll stop.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  31. bosque bob

bosque bob Scout

Blog Posts:
    44 special. When I shoot something I want it to stay shot. LOL

Bronco68, JeffG and 1911srule like this.
  32. 1911srule

1911srule Scout

Blog Posts:
    I noticed a few of you use Bianchi Speed strips, I do too. I have some that are 20+ yrs old, went to cycle out the ammo and all three crumbled! No idea why , surprised me...

33. JeffG

JeffG Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Ozone is one reason. Exposure to electrical discharge, like electric motors.

34. Hawkcreek

Hawkcreek Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'm 6'2" and after a lazy summer I'm pushing 250.
    I've concealed a .45 Colt Ruger Vaquero a few times. Strong side just tucked into the pants (have to take the belt out an extra notch to do that) with a t-shirt over it. Can't do much more than stand or walk or it prints though.
    Wasn't trying but I guess I also concealed a FA .454 also. It was out elk hunting with my grandpa so it was under a bulky warm winter coat, FA factory cross draw holster.

I'd like to get one of those new 586 L-Comp I just wish they'd make one in .45 rather than .357 Mag.

JeffG likes this.
  35. 1911srule

1911srule Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've had the same deterioration on a Rubbermaid container full of CFP90 packs , the plastic fell apart the same way. Both materials had a white residue on the surface. Ozone you say? I'm gonna have to do some reading on this, it baffles me.

edited to add; same white residue on leather in storage too.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  36. slysir

slysir Guide

Blog Posts:
    A gun without a round in battery is an empty gun!! It's just blind luck if you can get it loaded fast enough when needed.

-John

Wasp, JeffG and Bronco68 like this.
  37. JeffG

JeffG Tracker

Blog Posts:
    1911srule likes this.
  38. RebelYell

RebelYell Scout

Blog Posts:
    A while back, Scientific American ran an article about plastic decay on artifacts in museums. Don’t recall the specific issue. The museum curators were having great difficulty preserving artifacts made from cellulose acetate (used in screw driver handles on Proto, Craftsman, Snap-On, etc.), cellulose nitrate, PVC and polyurethane. A couple of these were referred to as "malignant" by conservators in the article because of the “funk” given off. Some smell like vomit and left a waxy whiteish powder residue. As the The plastics exude their plasticizers (often referred to as outgassing), they emit nitric acid and acetic acid (vinegar), as gases and the molecular structure falls apart with age and crumble like your Quickstrips did. Interestingly enough, I tossed a pair of 30 + year old Bianchi Quickstrips for the same reason. I have a pair of early 1980’s Bianchi-Pachmayr rubber grips on a Model 36 that are now hard as a rock, and turned color from black to very dark mahogany. They are very brittle. Also had the waxy white funk on my screwdriver handles.

According to the article, 1960's and 1970's era NASA space suits on display in the Smithsonian had been damaged by the PVC coolant tubing sewn into the fabric deteriorating and turning to a brown, stinky liquid.

There is a lot of money funding research to figure out how to both stop plastic decay and prevent decayed items from damaging other artifacts in the displays. The curators are in a race to determine if many display items can even be preserved before they are beyond help. I had to toss some tools and containers that were beyond help.

alukban and 1911srule like this.
  39. OutnBacker

OutnBacker Guide

Blog Posts:
    I used to carry a Model 60-7, but have switched to a Shield 9 in the past year. OWB, just a tad forward of the hip point. In the woods, when I carry a handgun, it's a Vaquero .45.
    IMG_0132 - Copy.JPG IMG_0293.JPG IMG_0807.JPG IMG_0648.JPG

40. Stophel

Stophel Scout

Blog Posts:
    I just got done fitting a "pre-model 49" Bodyguard hammer to my old Chief's Special. I forgot to take into account the difference of fork-end strut and ball-end strut, but I had another gun with a ball end strut that won't miss it for now, so I got it all worked out. I had previously bobbed the spur off the original hammer, and regretted doing it, even though it was a pocket-snagging-SOB. I had seen someone else had done this with a Bodyguard hammer some time ago, and I finally got around to it myself. Hard to see here, but the hammer spur is shorter and rather bulkier than the standard Chief's special hammer spur, and a bit more pocket friendly. You don't have fantastic leverage with the short spur, but you can kind of roll the gun like an SAA to cock it. At least I have single action back!

The handle I made myself. The front sight has a serrated nickel insert, painted white on top of that. I've gone to flat white sights for everything, and not looking back.

[​IMG]

And I have to remember to not put my left hand index finger in front of the triggerguard on a J frame! It'll sting you.

Huey likes this.
  41. 1911srule

1911srule Scout

Blog Posts:
    Outstanding answer, that definitely solves the mystery. I imagine if the item is sealed in a container, the outgassing decomposes the material that much faster because the concentration of gases inside is higher than if left in the open. I have a damp basement so everything is bagged and in Rubbermaid containers. Mystery solved, thank you Sir!

42. Wasp

Wasp We are GO for Sting! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a NAA Pug too but don't carry it often.

43. ak15-t

ak15-t Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My choice is the good 'ol SP101. I like the Hogue recoil tamer grips. It's not the lightest or smallest revolver, but it's solid as a rock, and I have a high confidence level in it's ability to make something stay dead, especially when it's loaded with 125gr JHP 357

Mr. Tettnanger likes this.
  44. RackinRay

RackinRay Tracker

Blog Posts:
    In a pocket holster strong side. NAA Mini Magnum Wasp. Over 6 foot, 240 plus. Dress, t-shirt under fishing shirt, cargo shorts/pants or jeans (seasonal). No mitts, except the ones I can palm basketballs with, used in this climate; but yes, I am sure I could.
    20180523_151708.jpg

Occasionally, a Charter Arms Bulldog Pug. Not a big mitt with mitts gun!

Charter 44.jpg

45. Birdman

Birdman Guide

Blog Posts:
    As I've posted before:
    4-5/8 .357 Blackhawk. In an Avenger holster by Gary C.
    IMG_20180801_073016_505.jpg
    IMG_20180111_141015_189.jpg

alukban and Mr. Tettnanger like this.
  46. doulos

doulos Guide

Blog Posts:
    I carry a S&W M&P 340 .357 with Crimson Trace Laser Grips.

DSCN0151.JPG