What The Cat Dragged In

Discussion in 'Flora & Fauna' started by Badey, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Badey

Badey Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Over 11 years ago, my wife and I made the mistake of making our two kittens indoor/outdoor cats. We put a cat door in for them so that we didn't have to be bothered with letting them in or out.

Well, over the years, we have had a wide array of fauna and flora (yes flora) deposited in our house by our cat, Biskitty.

So far -

Flora - winter wheat, oak leaves and branches, poison ivy vine, grass stalks, forsythia, maple leaves and branches, goldenrod stalks.

Blurry action shot of a grass stalk coming in.

IMG_7595.JPG

Fauna - bats, weasels, chipmunks, rabbits, giant moths, voles, moles, flying squirrels, juevenile groundhogs, mice, birds, and frogs.

Frog from a couple of nights ago.

IMG_2996.JPG

So, this got me wondering, what fauna and/or flora do your animals bring in?

Keif, Mr. Tettnanger, Hoof and 8 others like this.
  2. svh

svh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Ticks, and chiggers.

Keif, Mr. Tettnanger, Doubles and 8 others like this.
  3. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    When I was kid my sister's cat bought a snake in the house...still alive!

Keif, Hoof, Winterhorse and 1 other person like this.
  4. gila_dog

gila_dog BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    My cat (who looks a lot like yours) kills mice, rats, squirrels, birds of all kinds, lizards, bugs, and even rabbits. He killed two cottontail rabbits recently that were as big as him. First he eats their head off, then the tenderloins. Eventually all that's left is guts and maybe the back feet. His favorite place to eat his victims is the door mat near the back door. Sometimes it looks like a crime scene out there, with blood and feathers or fur all around. I wish he wouldn't kill the birds and lizards, tho. But since he has taken over the place we have no more packrat problems.

MrFixIt, Keif, Hoof and 4 others like this.
  5. Falcon45

Falcon45 Scout Lifetime Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    LOL LOL LOL LOL....:18: :18:

MrFixIt, Keif, svh and 3 others like this.
  6. RavenLoon

RavenLoon axology student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Lol. Yup. I especially like the ones that look like lima beans laying on the floor.

MrFixIt, Keif, svh and 3 others like this.
  7. Hoof

Hoof Guide

Blog Posts:
    My 3 kids brought all manner of varments, refuse and debris in

MrFixIt, Keif, EvanStinson and 3 others like this.
  8. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    We had a big black tom once that was forever bringing flapping pigeons, mice, snakes, rabbits, just about everything but skunks. He was the absolute ruler of the yard. Even the biggest meanest dogs in the neighborhood would give our yard a wide berth. His technique for dealing with dogs was to pretend to be afraid of them, let them chase him up a tree and turn around and leap onto their face with all claws switchbladed out. every once in a while you'd hear a dog yelping and if you looked quick enough you see Max riding it backwards on the head until the dog would get out of the yard. Then Max would just walk down the dogs back and hop off.

MrFixIt, arleigh, Keif and 8 others like this.
  9. saxonaxe

saxonaxe Scout

Blog Posts:
    I had a Labrador Collie cross once, although I often thought he was part Beaver...:D
    His game was sticks. Every time we went out he would collect a stick of some kind, carry it the whole time and jump into the back of my Land Rover with it when we went home. Once home he would take his stick into a corner of the garden and place it on the pile already there from previous outings.
    I often wished we'd had a wood burning stove instead of gas fired central heating..:18:

MrFixIt, Keif, TWill and 3 others like this.
  10. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    From way back in about the year 2000, I found a great site, called The Flo Control Project. The geeky guy had a cat named Flo. Flo would bring all manner of trophies. He rigged up a cam and sensor to measure her profile. If she had any critter in her mouth, it disrupted her silhouette, and the cat door would not open. The original site is long gone, but most of the basics lives on, with archive.org In the original full site, he had pics of other cats, birds and a raccoon that tried (and failed) to come through the door.

Flo got old, and he expanded the algorithm to include a second kitten they got, to keep Flo company.

Edit: Here is one of the profile silhouettes, Flo carrying a mouse:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    MrFixIt, Winterhorse, arleigh and 4 others like this.
  11. operatord

operatord Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Boston Terror..umm Terrier. He loves the spring with the baby bunnies in their nests. He also snacks on all of the baby birds that land on the grass during their first flying expeditions. Much to my wife's horror we've seen him carry in bird wings and bunny parts numerous times.

MrFixIt, Keif, Badey and 1 other person like this.
  12. bluecow

bluecow Scout

Blog Posts:
    my house cats don't go out, and the barn cats don't come in the house. i did have one of the barn cats give me a live snake, and then sit back with a smirk on the cats face. i really dont like snake

MrFixIt, Keif and Badey like this.
  13. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Have had several in/out cats in the past 30+years, and none of them were good hunters.

MrFixIt, Keif and Badey like this.
  14. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    That must be Cat 101, I had a big black Queen who used the same method. She tore up the local Tom once doing about the same thing except he tried to turn and run and she got him by the back of the head between his soon to be missing ears. He ran on all fours, she was running with just her back feet and ripping and tearing with her front paws and teeth. She tore a hunk of flesh off that cat that included most of his forehead the two ears and three or four inches along his spine. It was his own fault, if he stopped running I don’t think she’d have been able to tear the flesh off him, but she may have raked his guts out then.

15. funkja

funkja Scout

Blog Posts:
    my indoor/outdoor cat consistently brings starlings and rabbits to the door. Maybe a rogue sparrow on occasion and one time he brought a duck, but pretty much he's doing his part helping eradicate the invasive starling population here.

probably the most startling 'what the cat dragged in' was a few years ago in early May while at my brother's father-in-laws place helping pull the engine from his track car we notice their cat Buddy (a truly massive cat) trying to come into the garage through his cat door backwards and just wasn't able to get whatever he had in his mouth through. we walked out and around and holy cow this cat was trying to drag a dead recently born FAWN through the cat door.