What to carry when pigs are part of the equation

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by leaf and lightning, May 19, 2017.

1. leaf and lightning

leaf and lightning Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'll be honest, pigs make me nervous. Had some less than great experiences with farm animals over the course of years, and the prospect of having them running wild around here(and they do, saw a bunch about 6 miles from where I live) makes me feel a tad under-gunned in the woods with one of my 22s on my hip. What do you folks carry in pig country?

2. Tennessee

Tennessee Guide Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I would carry an AR-15 with a red dot and/or a 10mm handgun. Delta Elite or Glock 20

3. 1776

1776 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I would carry a Ruger or Smith and Wesson revolver chambered in .357 Mag or .44 Mag. I would lean towards the Ruger. And if you don't like revolvers, try a 10mm. Glock is always good for those.

4. Swampdog

Swampdog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    .357magnum or bigger handgun.... .30 caliber or bigger rifle.

Wild hogs have poor eyesight and excellent senses of smell and hearing, they will run away from you most of the time, just let them know you are there.

5. RockinU

RockinU Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Ok, I live it the middle of pig country. I have a small ranch, run a few cows, cut a little hay, and do what I can to mitigate the damage hogs do to my place. I've trapped, baited, and dogged them for 20+ years. I've shot them with lots of different guns, and with bows, and I've even killed a few with a pocket knife. I've been around a lot of hogs, and I've never, not once, seen an un-provoked hog be aggressive. I can count on my hands the number of times I've seen one be aggressive towards a person even after a lot of K-9 provocation. The chances of you needing to defend yourself from a hog are minimal. I carry a pistol pretty much everywhere I go, especially places where there are people, but I seldom carry one on the ranch where I know there are hogs.

That being said, it's not a bad idea to arm yourself, and it's a wonderful idea to use your arms to kill every hog you come across, and for that, I agree with a 10mm, and am partial to a Glock 20sf. Just don't be scared of them, their "ferociousness " has been much exaggerated.

6. Kmcmichael

Kmcmichael Tracker

Blog Posts:
    .45 Colt or .475 Linbaugh

7. leaf and lightning

leaf and lightning Guide

Blog Posts:
    Intellectually, I am aware of this. But my gut tells me they are bad news. Like I said, I have had a few bad experiences with tame ones. That I could run across them in the woods makes me a touch uneasy.

As for killing them, due to NY's "brilliant" scheme of making it illegal to kill them(DEC is not happy about that), I won't be telling anyone if I do ;)

savage99nc, Winterhorse and Swampdog like this.
  8. RockinU

RockinU Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I treat domestic ones with much more skepticism...they lack the fear that wild ones have.

Anyone with any opposition to killing them, just doesn't have enough experience with them. They will probably change those laws...unfortunately it will likely be too late.

9. leaf and lightning

leaf and lightning Guide

Blog Posts:
    The theory is that the NY legislatior actually wants the population to go up, and once the population is past the breaking point, get all the money that out of state hunters bring in to hunt the hogs. DEC would just as soon go back to the old "you see it, you shoot it and let us know" policy, but their hands are tied.

savage99nc and Winterhorse like this.
  10. Bitterfists

Bitterfists Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    20150922_192411.jpg 1911 with 460 Rowland conversion. 255gr round nose flat point. Hits like a 44 mag, kicks like a 38 special.

11. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Every time I've run into one in the woods, it ran off as soon as it smelled me. Their vision must suck though, or I'm getting better at the invisibility thing.

In deer season, I've obviously got an appropriate rifle. When squirrel hunting, I'm under-gunned with a .22, and will risk it. The rest of the time, I've got a .357 revolver half full of snake shot, other half JHP. I worry about snakes more than pigs.

12. Bitterfists

Bitterfists Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Must be... I can't see you.

Sandcut and T. Pollock like this.
  13. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    hehe. cool. it's working! LOL

14. Urban Whittling

Urban Whittling Tracker

Blog Posts:
    What Rockin said. I have never seen hogs charge or be aggressive toward a person, other than those people hunting with knives and have to repeatedly get in close. The hogs have always run as fast as they can to avoid people, to the point of abandoning their piglets in a ditch and hightailing it away from me. If you aren't actively hunting them and just want a gun as a precaution, your .22 is all you need.

In my experience, only a head shot will stop a hog on impact. I spine shot a hog with a 7mm-08 once, and the hog still ran 400 yards only using the forward half of her body and dragging her hind legs. They are hearty and not easy to kill. Shot placement over caliber, especially with hogs. Hogs that I have dropped and required no tracking were shot with .30-06, 9mm, and 6.8 and were standing still. However, most of the hogs that I have shot were moving targets that I had to track and were shot with .30-06, 7mm-08, 30-30, .357mag rifle, 6.8, 7.62x39, and .223/5.56. The caliber will not be the deciding factor.

15. tminish

tminish Scout

Blog Posts:
    Cold Steel Boar Spear.

leaf and lightning likes this.
  16. leaf and lightning

leaf and lightning Guide

Blog Posts:
    They are tough buggers. I have seen my father have to shoot one 3 times in the head(butchering time), and bend a hoe in half on one's snout(he was using the hoe as a prod to move her between pens, and she went the wrong way. Not a scratch on her, by the way).

17. Robert Highhawk

Robert Highhawk Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Only had one run-in with a feral hog. I was playing turkey guide for a young man. He came charging out of the cypress head at about 10 yards. #6's kicking dirt in his face made him turn tail. I do carry a Blackhawk 357, 45, or 44 mag. When I'm in wood/range lands. Snakes, bad hombres, ect.

Swampdog and leaf and lightning like this.
  18. slysir

slysir Scout

Blog Posts:
    I had one heart stopping episode...I was hiking a narrow trail early morning and surprised about a half dozen wallering in a mud puddle. When they realized I was there they squealed and screamed running in all directions in the palmetto scrub. But the biggest one chose the trail right at me!! He came within about 3' and I poked him with my walking staff. He let out a squeal that made my hair stand up(what little hair I have). Obviously they don't like to be poked!!

I was armed with my Ruger SP101 but it all happened so fast I never would have had a chance to draw and fire. Those buggers can really scoot. By the time I had my wits back he was long gone.

-John

DomC and leaf and lightning like this.
  19. grizz78

grizz78 Tracker

Blog Posts:
  20. GGTBod

GGTBod Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    It would be great to go traditional with a fully functional Viking Boar spear or German medieval Saufeder

21. Unistat76

Unistat76 Nerd Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Feral hogs are not a problem in Michigan yet, but our DNR has the exact opposite reaction to NY, apparently. Any kind of hunting permit is also good for feral hog. Additionally a concealed pistol license also counts as a hot permit.

I've not encountered one, but FWIW, I carry a .357 S&W and/or a .357 lever gun in the woods.

22. slysir

slysir Scout

Blog Posts:
    In Florida you don't even need a hunting license for hogs...open season 365!!

-John

x39, masiaka, savage99nc and 2 others like this.
  23. isme

isme Scout

Blog Posts:
    Foothills of the Great Smoky mountains, Tn
    I carry my Good Knife from @hamanky ......

.... Oh, and I back it up with my Henry 45-70 Gov. My buddies farm land seems to be crawling with wild hogs. That's where I spend a lot of my dirt time. It used to be a farm, now it's woodland.
    I never go there with out my rifle.

24. leaf and lightning

leaf and lightning Guide

Blog Posts:
    That is how NY used to treat them. Pretty much anybody with a hunting license could kill them on sight, as long as you told DEC about it so they could follow up on it. They weren't a problem then. But in the couple of years since NY put a ban on killing them(supposedly to control their spread?o_O), they have spread like wildfire.

And I should add, it wasn't DEC's idea to place a moratorium on killing them. That was a stupid law passed by our state legislature.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  25. RebelYell

RebelYell Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm a revolver guy, don't have much use for recricating lead despensers, so I pack either a Ruger GP100 Match Champion loaded with hard cast 180 grain RNFP-GC .357 Magnums or a S&W model 69 Combat Magnum stoked with 255 grain Keith hard cast SWC .44 Magnums. Both will get the job done.

26. Bigghoss

Bigghoss Scout

Blog Posts:
  27. Chili

Chili Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If you are anywhere remotely close to people, they will know beyond just the report of your shot. At least here in Texas, they squeal quite loud after being shot. :eek:

:p

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  28. Charlie Lima

Charlie Lima Tracker

Blog Posts:
  29. Beal

Beal Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hehehe.

the-mosin-always-makes-a-good-javelin.jpg

Well, maybe not but is a fun thought...

No pigs where Im at in PA... Ive wondered where I could go to hunt em though. I dunno, could be fun.

30. oathkeeper762

oathkeeper762 Bushbum & PT Wanderer Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I live and hunt in both East and South Texas, and we have been plagued with the the hog invasion for many decades. I have hunted, trapped and killed several hundred pigs during my lifetime and I can assure you that is a conservative number. Most were taken with recurves, Long bows, self bows and handguns. Where I hunt it is not uncommon for me to see several sounders on a single day outing at my lease. However, as many above have mentioned, from my experience I have no concerns whatsoever over them posing a threat.

They have a great sense of smell and good hearing and will avoid contact if at all possible. They are intelligent and when sufficiently pressured will turn almost completely nocturnal. I have encountered many sows with piglets and they too have chosen to retreat from human contact. The only first hand injuries I have seen were from confined and injured hogs in close quarters. I had a store manager get his calf ripped open by a boar's cutters in the late 80's in South Texas as we were blood trailing the wounded hog, and I have seen dogs and handlers get cut while trying to kill or capture hogs held by dogs. In all those cases, I'm relatively sure if the hog had the opportunity to flee they would have.

As @Seeker mentioned, I carry for protection against two legged vermin, snakes, and after last year's experience feral dogs. My biggest single concern about hogs are they are contaminating all my back country water supplies. Man they can stink up and muddy up my best creeks and ponds. I now treat all my water for viruses in areas with high hog concentrations.

gila_dog, alukban, Seeker and 2 others like this.
  31. RockinU

RockinU Tracker

Blog Posts:
    @oathkeeper762

Amen to them contaminating water, I don't know what the answer is, but eventually Texas is going to have to find a more effective means for widespread control. I'm on the line of Brazos and Robertson counties, and we can't even start to keep up with them.

32. Beal

Beal Scout

Blog Posts:
    And when this fails, you can use your backup (cause who ever heard of just 1 mosin nagant??) to make a strategic escape...

[​IMG]

Sorry I couldnt help myself...

33. jstert

jstert Tracker

Blog Posts:
    a question to those of you who deal with feral hogs alot: would a 20ga or 410 shotgun slug work? im not a hunter but i have a couple of single shotguns in both calibers and one 20 pump, more as trunk guns. my woods guns otherwise tend to be rimfires.

34. LongChinJon

LongChinJon Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've killed less than some of the other people posting, but I've spent a fair amount of time in the woods with pigs. First-hand accounts of pigs treeing someone (someone climbing a tree to get away from a pig) are rare, but it does happen.

Shot placement is, of course, more important than caliber, although if you choose to carry a firearm, please research the ammunition type to ensure it is appropriate for large, tough animals. I've seen a 9mm FMJ that ricocheted off a boar skull and lodged under the hide, and I've heard a reliable first-person account of a .40 that ricocheted off another pig's skull when a friend tried to kill a pig in a trap. I suspect the choice of ammunition had more to do with the performance than did the caliber.

With that said, I agree with those who said a .357 or .44 magnum is plenty.

Just my 2 cents.

scottman and leaf and lightning like this.
  35. LongChinJon

LongChinJon Scout

Blog Posts:
    20 gauge slug should be fine. A .410 slug--sure, it could kill a pig, but I don't know enough about the load to know if it is 'recommendable.' :) Maybe others will chime in.

jstert and leaf and lightning like this.
  36. Zebra Alpha

Zebra Alpha Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'd carry a good BBQ sauce.

37. x39

x39 Guide

Blog Posts:
    My neighbor down the road winters in Florida, where he has a gig with the state doing invasive species control. He told me a couple of winters ago he killed over 250 hogs.

slysir likes this.
  38. Edgeman

Edgeman Scout

Blog Posts:

They need to hire him for "python control."

39. x39

x39 Guide

Blog Posts:
    He does it all, snakes, gators in inconvenient places, even a couple of monitor lizards.

Edgeman likes this.
  40. Doc.

Doc. Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Anybody have any thoughts on using the "judge" revolver for hog protection? Doc.

41. RockinU

RockinU Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The judge, if I'm not mistaken, will shoot 45 lc, that'll sure kill a hog if you hit him where he lives.

leaf and lightning and Doc. like this.
  42. saxonaxe

saxonaxe Scout

Blog Posts:
    Wild Boar have been present in England since before recorded history. They were hunted to extinction by the beginning of the 14th Century. During the next two hundred years or so attempts were made to re-introduce them but failed, that is, until very recently. Imported Boar for controlled rearing began and of course there were escapes, now they are increasingly common in wooded areas of Southern England in particular, and are just starting to become a nuisance in rural areas.

The largest population monitored is in the Forest of Dean in the valley of the River Wye which in places forms the border between England and Wales. I was camped there last winter.

DSCF4670.JPG

DSCF4676.JPG

The Forest of Dean is managed by the Forestry Commission and Forest Rangers and Commission Woodsmen look after it. The Rangers cull the Wild Boar, .243 being the commonly used calibre, purely because that is a common calibre used for Deer control too.

The forest is freely available to the general public but I have never heard of any incident involving injury or even an attack by Wild Boar, although it's easy to find their sign and wander into their territory.

DSCF4729.JPG

DSCF4683.JPG

DSCF4709.JPG

The local kids still have their school lessons on wildlife, protection of the environment and woodland skills out in the forest, so the threat from Wild Boar is considered to be non existent.

DSCF4726.JPG

Some figures I came across after my camping trip are quite enlightening to read I thought.

Wild Boar control by Rangers..Forest of Dean.
    Rough estimate of Boar numbers in 2008/9........................... 150
    Target population for natural diversity purposes..................... 90
    Number culled................................................................... 38

2012 the figures read Estimated population..............................500
    target population...................................................................400
    Number culled.......................................................................100

2015/16
    Estimated population............................................................1020
    Target population..................................................................400
    Number culled......................................................................543

DSCF4661.JPG

Piggy is not playing the game it seems........:18:

43. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    It seems they are playing the game just fine!

Without predators they are going to reproduce rapidly.

jstert likes this.
  44. saxonaxe

saxonaxe Scout

Blog Posts:
    " It seems they are playing the game just fine!"

Oh! I agree. It just amuses me that perhaps the publishing of a "Target population figure" was a bit of wishful thinking on behalf of someone. I suspect that if numbers continue to spiral upwards eventually the Boar may be added to the list of species for limited hunting.

45. polar bear

polar bear Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don't blame the OP for being nervous around wild hogs. I was doing my usual hike and a family of them decided to make their den on both sides of the trail. (There were multiple hog runs criss-crossing the trail showing a much higher population than usual.) I took pictures of the den when I heard some sort of "growl" to my left. I pulled out my revolver loaded with .38+P and slowly walked on.

IMG_20161226_093103.jpg

IMG_20161226_093133.jpg

IMG_20161226_092809.jpg

(A little history here: My friend, Jeff, would ride his bike to work and in one stretch, a mother hog would stand and wait for him every day for two weeks to "charge" him. I don't know if she thought he was some weird animal on that bike or if she was just defending her kid. It was odd and has stuck in my mind,)

I had to cross the same area on my way back, so I stopped roughly six yards before the den and shouted, "Comin' in!" No growls or movement at all.

Still, it makes me weary. I might go to my .357 from now on.

(There's also a lot of coyotes that have invaded the area. I wonder if their presence has put stress on the hog population and have they been fighting? I do know they yotes have chased the few deer there. Two have been found dead on the side of the road.

jstert and leaf and lightning like this.
  46. jackpine

jackpine Fire? I don't see any fire!?

Blog Posts:
    The more time I spend in the wild the less I carry a gun. A compact 22 pistol for fun sometimes or maybe a single shot shotgun during game seasons

47. flint45

flint45 Scout

Blog Posts:
    .44 mag. S&W M-29

48. RockinU

RockinU Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I agree. Conversely, the more time I visit a city, the more I feel carrying a gun there is a pretty solid idea, some spots make me feel like spare mags is something to consider as well.

gila_dog and polar bear like this.
  49. bluecow

bluecow Scout

Blog Posts:
    ya got there 1st, i was going to say apple sauce:)

50. ozarkhunter

ozarkhunter Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    I have a special place in my heart for watching pigs fall down. My hog hunting stand is 25 yards from my feeder. I have 2 weapons of choice, those being a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington and a Remington 870 shooting Federal Tru-Ball slugs (12 gauge). These 2 get the job done as long as I am on target. When I am checking cameras on the property or just walking around the property, I carry either my Ruger 10/22 or Ruger 22/45. I have also never been threatened by hogs in the numerous encounters I have had. I have literally had them burst out of underbrush within 5' of me on another property. They have always run the other way. That little incident was about enough to make me need a change of clothes. I have dropped hogs with a 22 WMR as well. Shot placement is key. A shot behind the ear has yet to fail with any caliber I have used.
    Someone mentioned pistol ammo ricocheting off a hog's head. Look at a picture of a hog's skull and you will see why that happens. Part of me wants to try the 1 ounce slug straight on between the eyes at the 25 yard range of my stand. I suspect the energy produced at that range would at least knock them loopy and allow another shot if it didn't create a fatal crater in their cranium.