What's the best GoPro Hero model?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Flint_2016, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Any of you bushcrafters out there use GoPro Hero camcorder/cameras? At first I bought a no name brand (on ebay) action camera, but the remote control was a piece of junk. Replaced battery, still didn't work. So I returned it and was refunded my money. Then I bought a GoPro Hero One, and hated it. Doesn't have wifi so a remote control can't be used. Once again I returned it and was refunded my money. Now I think I've got it down to the GoPro Hero 3,silver edition. One seller is including the remote, the battery, the charger, and charger cable. According to specs it looks like a good model. You can also add a viewfinder ($29.99) so you can see your photos and movies, etc. The main reason I'm in favor of the model 3 is it's also affordable, plus you can use the remote control. I watched Youtube videos on Hero One, and had a hard time following along, my learning curve kicked in. The photo shown is from the no name 4K that I returned. Not sure what megapixels it had, I think only 5. If it wasn't for the remote being a piece of junk, I might've kept it. So is the Hero 3 worthwhile? Anyone help me out here?
    20150102_210251A.jpg
    Example of photo taken by GoPro Hero clone,probably made in China.

J. Pierce, blind & lost and Haggis like this.
  2. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I think I found the model I want.The GoPro Hero 3 Black edition surf model.The ebay seller is including the remote control,battery,charging cable,a few mounts,and the water proof case at only $94.Resolution is 12 mp.Here's a photo of what I'd be getting,and a youtube video of the camera.
    s-l1600.jpg

Haggis likes this.
  3. Chili

Chili Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I really like my Hero 4, mainly because of the LCD touch screen, but that sounds like a pretty good deal.

blind & lost, Haggis and Flint_2016 like this.
  4. myz

myz Scout

Blog Posts:
    I think none of the GoPro models. The biggest issue with them is the lack of battery life. Less than 2 hours of footage on one fully charged battery, simply not enough if you are on an extended trip. If you don't leave it on, then what's the point, you are not going to be in position to capture the footage of catching that elusive 1000 lb bass because you may not have time or remember to turn it on. Even if you get 4 or 5 spare batteries, that's still tricky if you go on a week long trip somewhere in the wilderness.

Haggis and Flint_2016 like this.
  5. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Probably would be using it more as a camera than a camcorder.Good point you made.I've heard some are worse than others.

Haggis likes this.
  6. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'd look at the 3+. It'd only be a bit more, but it's a better camera. Just know that having the WiFi on, eats up the batteries a lot faster. If you have a smart phone, you can download the app to frame your shots and act as a remote for your camera(s). Here's a screen shot. I would include more in app features to show you, but I don't have my camera handy to connect to.

Screenshot_2018-06-05-22-49-33.png

7. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:
    The GoPro 3 Black edition finally arrived. And that model to will work with the LCD screen as well ($27.99 on ebay,never the GoPro site,too $$$). It took me about 3 hours of trial and error due to a few glitches, for starters the USB cable for the GoPro stopped recognizing photos and video, so I put the SD card in a card reader and no more issues. I still need to figure out the Wifi part. and hooking it to #3's remote. (GoPro 4 and on then had an update sort of on the remote going to the Smart Remote). Nevertheless I'm learning. After 2 mugs of iced espresso I started to pick up on it. LOL. I'll be ordering the LCD card next month then. That makes a big difference no doubt on being able to view your photos and videos right away too see what changes you could make in the settings, etc. Photos coming to forum later this week.Here's a few photos from my Hero #1 which I returned since no remote will work for that model.Good that you can change the variety of wide angles on the #3.A bit distorted IMHO on these two photos.
    GOPR0513.JPG
    20150102_210251A.jpg

Usingmyrights, Haggis and J. Pierce like this.
  8. Usingmyrights

Blog Posts:
    Do you have a smart phone? If so you can forgo the screens and such and just use the app to frame shots and view videos. Full disclaimer though. I think it's something with the settings or version of the app that I have, but it wouldn't let me view my 3+ black videos yesterday, while it gave me no issues with the 3+ silver. It said I needed the Pro version, which probably has to do with the video quality of the black vs the silver version. If I remember, I'll try to do a video of the app with one camera, while operating the other camera with it to give you a better idea of how it works, though I'm sure there's some on youtube.

Haggis and Flint_2016 like this.
  9. Blackhillz

Blackhillz Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Tagged for interest, I have a old hero 1 and have thought about buying a newer one for low light video in mines and such. Granted in sure my new smart phone will do just as good now.

Haggis likes this.
  10. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm just gonna use the remote control as it seems so much simpler.Maybe I'm just too "old school".I go by K.I.S.S. acronym.Maybe I'll mess with it in the future.For now I just wanna get used to the camera and it's settings.Then next month the LCD screen.

Haggis likes this.
  11. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:
    One issue I'm having is loading photos onto computer.USB cord worked at first,then it stopped.Now when I hook camera to computer just the bottom red light goes on,and photos not recognized.So luckily I have an SD card reader to load photos/videos.Anyone else have this issue?

Haggis likes this.
  12. Usingmyrights

Blog Posts:
    The video quality on phones has definitely come a long way. The benefit of the Gopro is the case. I don't have to worry about a wave coming over my kayak and ruining it, I can put it on a mast mount, I can drop it underwater for a fish shot. If you never take it near water you'll probably be ok, but that' where indo almost all of my filming.

Blackhillz and Haggis like this.