What's the knife you remember from your childhood?

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by gwynn1975, Feb 21, 2017.

1. ewtoutdoors

ewtoutdoors BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Now thinking a couple more. Fairbein Sykes my father brought back from Korea, he only said he got it from someone he met ???? there, never any more. My BSA folding camp knife, unfortunately lost many years ago. The sheath on the Fairbein is pretty worn but will post some pictures, was one that only saw a couple of times but always knew it was tucked away. Now they are all mine.

2. glen1100

glen1100 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This is my first knife that I received as a gift when I was four or five years old. Still serves as a mail opener
    DSCF1037.JPG

3. 62flint

62flint Scout

Blog Posts:
    Growing up around a trout stream, I'm sure that I had a knife, but don't recall anything specific until I was 12. My father had gone to Wyoming for mule deer and brought me a Schrade 1250T. Its a largish, single blade folder with liner lock, and high carbon steel. I gutted a lot of deer with it and still have it.
    borrowed image:
    https://encrypted.google.com/search...i=p3ytWKKuPMbbmwH2l6joCQ#imgrc=ZnykGcoWo02qPM:

MommaJ, bacpacjac, gwynn1975 and 3 others like this.
  4. southron

southron Scout

Blog Posts:
    Teachers never asked boys if they had a knife, that was assumed and it would get a funny look if a boy said no.

What they did ask was

Is your knife sharp.

It was considered shameful to not have a knife that could pass a teachers wants and expectations.

Jim

wingnuts, MommaJ, bacpacjac and 4 others like this.
  5. Dave L.

Dave L. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Crazy! My dad had/has this same set. I always remembered it. Never saw a name stamp on it and I'm not sure what happened to the sheaths. So cool!

MommaJ, bacpacjac, Lichen and 3 others like this.
  6. 6gun

6gun Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Dad had a EKA made Normark folder with a plastic handle that was beaten beyond recognition but always shaving sharp. No one seems to know what happened to it after his passing so with a little work I found three of them on Ebay(one for each of the sons) and bought them up. That way we could all have a "knife like dad's". Wound up buying a fancy wood handle, blued blade one for myself to carry everyday. I also have his Schrade 150 that was only seen during deer season made a new sheath and it is proudly on display in the gunroom!

MommaJ, bacpacjac, gwynn1975 and 2 others like this.
  7. ba13e4

ba13e4 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The way we buy/sell/trade knives on here, our kids are going to say things like "I remember good old dad carrying a Mora Companion, 7 other Moras, 3 Case folders, 4 ESEEs, 2 KA-BARs, and a Turley ... That was just in 2016."

MommaJ, bacpacjac, OrienM and 6 others like this.
  8. dkgoesmo

dkgoesmo Scruffy looking Nerfhearder Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    This one, a Kent camp knife. I lived in my grandpa's tackle box. He used to let me tinker with it while we were out. Now mine. 20170222_111823.jpg

9. Nightflyer

Nightflyer Scout

Blog Posts:
    Growing up in the post WWII era, most of our outdoor equipment was mil surp. It was cheap and plentiful. We had field phones, mess kits, canteens, jackets, helmets, etc. the most commonly carried knife among us kids was the K-bar, or bayonets from the M-1.

MrFixIt, MommaJ, bacpacjac and 2 others like this.
  10. carpenter

carpenter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Master Barlows my dad gave me and my twin brother for Christmas.

11. remington79

remington79 Scout

Blog Posts:
    When I was a kid I was given a SAK. I had an accident where the side of my left thumb just in front of the web of your hand. I had cut a nerve, a tendon, and an artery and had to go to physical therapy for my thumb. For 5 to 10 years I had a numb spot on my thumb. Sometimes the scar will hurt if I have to grab something against it. This was when I was in 5th or 6th grade. I never did see that knife again. I remember it was a SAK Tinker. I remember I was trying to cut one of those plastic zip ties that was holding a Super Soaker in the packaging. Somehow the blade closed on my thumb and is why after all of these years I prefer fixed or locking blades.

The next knife that sticks out is my Gerber Gator. My fiend and I each got one in 93 maybe 94 at the latest. This was closely followed by a Camillus Pilot Survival Knife. I can't remember his fixed blade. Those knives went on every campout with us and we each carried our Gators everywhere. We'd go camping with only the Gerbers and feel fine and do fine. We didn't even think or hear about batoning wood. We just broke wood and used the knives for making shavings and to use the good old magnesium block with striker. I used mine to gut and skin deer.

We each still have our Gators after all these years. I still use mine once in awhile but it has been retired for sentimental reasons. Too many good memories associated with that knife. It was my most used knife for about 15 years or so. Looking at pictures online my blade has gotten smaller. For some reason it doesn't keep an edge as long as it used to (another reason I don't use it as much). I remember when that knife was new you could flick your wrist and the blade would open right up and lock into place. It doesn't do that anymore.

Another knife I still have and use around the house is my Leatherman Super Tool that I bought in 1995. I have replaced it with the Charge TTi as my main multi-tool for various reasons such as it having scissors. I bought the Super Tool before my first trip to Philmont. For a long hiking trip every ounce counts so a lot of us took multitools. They came in handy for various odd tasks. After that the Gator and the Super Tool were must haves for every camping trip.

Besides going to Philmont with me in 95 and 97 it took a round about journey. Somehow it got left with some friends of mine and I didn't see or hear from them for a little over a year. I thought I lost my Leatherman. Our paths crossed again and they had gotten married. They told me that on their honeymoon they had got a flat tire. I don't know all the details but they had said something about the jack or jack handle had broken. They found my Leatherman in their trunk and used it to change their tire. When we crossed paths again I got my Leatherman back with only the sheath missing. The flat screwdrivers blades have a twist to them now which I assume has to do with the tire. After all of that it made it's way home. I'm finally going to send it in to get refurbished before the 25 year warranty is up.

12. remington79

remington79 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Another knife that sticks out is my Buck 112. This is a version that has the finger grooves. This was in the later 2000's and I was in between jobs so I got a job at Buck Knives while I was waiting for this other job to come through. I was on the line that made the 112s with finger grooves. I worked various parts on the line. Just before or just after I gave my 2 week notice I went to the store and used my employee discount and bought 4 112s and 4 skinning knives. I kept one of each and gave my 3 friends I grew up with one of each knife.

When I went to the store I saw the date on the boxes and those in the store at the factory were ones that I had helped make. I looked at them and I could tell by the way the wood was sanded that they were ones that I made. On the finger side of each knife there was a spot near the brass on just the one area the I could never make look like the other areas. Only mine came out like that. It wasn't too obvious but if you knew what to look for you would see it.

One girl got her fingers cut bad on that line. She was 2 people down from me. On another note each knife was looked at and had to cut paper before it was put in a sheath and boxed.

13. Bowie69

Bowie69 Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I have that same knife. It was my mother's.

14. Yautjar

Yautjar Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The three I remember most are my grandfather's "deer knife", my dad's Buck knock off, and my tiny Old Timer. Dad gave me the Buck knock off when I asked why he didn't carry it anymore, so I carried it for 10 years till I got myself the real thing. I still carry the tiny Old Timer when I can't carry a multi-tool or a pocket clip knife.

Attached Files:

15. Prophet911

Prophet911 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I finally found a photo on the internet of one I had when I was a kid. It was my first fixed blade.

[​IMG]

And a Barlow was my first pocket knife (not my photo). Not sure If it was made by Imperial or not.

[​IMG]

16. sniperbait1

sniperbait1 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My dad gave me an old kabar that was his grand father's. I used to take it hunting with me and was my first fixed blade knife. In the picture there a bhk bushcrafter for size comparison.

Attached Files:

17. Gunut

Gunut Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I am a kid of the 80's Rambo era and had to have this. It now lives in my safe.
    [​IMG]

18. beacon

beacon Simul justus et peccator Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I remember my BSA camp knife from my scout days (like the one below). I wish I knew what happened to it...lost forever...

[​IMG]

I know I can get another one, but I wish I still had mine.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    dRobinson, MrFixIt, bacpacjac and 4 others like this.
  19. Woodsman Wannabe

Woodsman Wannabe Scout

Blog Posts:
    The first knife I ever owned.
    I am guessing this is late 60's early 70's, riding bikes with my brothers. We were on Lake Shore Blvd in Mentor, Ohio, down where Lost Nation Rd comes out. I happened to look down and see something bright orange on the sidewalk, so I turned around to pick it up. Turned out to be a switch blade.
    Have no idea what ever happened to it. Next one was a Camillus Boy Scout knife in 75 or so, again lost to history.

20. Wasp

Wasp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Buck folder and I had a dozen SAK Huntsmans.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    MrFixIt, bacpacjac and gwynn1975 like this.
  21. PaPa K

PaPa K Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I remember my BSA knife like the one beacon posted, like his...lost along the way. But of all the knives I had from various sources I remember one of the first fixed blades was a small Gerber called a pixie. Molded handle and a very sharp, thin and flexible blade (2-2 1/4"?) came with a leather sheath. I did a lot of trout fishing back then, and the thing was the greatest at cleaning a trout with finesse. Another knife lost to the knife trolls at some point.

MrFixIt, bacpacjac, beacon and 2 others like this.
  22. akbound

akbound Guide

Blog Posts:
    I carried and used a couple of "found" or "hand me down" pocket knives very early in my childhood. It seemed normal enough that none of those stood out in my memory. I do remember receiving my first knife that made a stand out memory. In the early 1960's my Uncle Strap (who worked in the local hardware store in Duncannon, PA.) bought me my first "grownup" knife as a birthday gift. It was made in Soligen, Germany, was a 5" fixed blade, clip point, with stag handle, and nickel silver bolster and pommel. Included was a leather sheath. To me at least, it was my "coming of age" knife.

I truly wished I still owned that knife. I left it at my parents house when I joined the Army at seventeen. I had three younger brothers still living at home at the time. A number of years later while home on leave I searched high and low through what few belongings I had left there, but to no avail, the knife was gone. Even though I thanked my Uncle many times I doubt he realized the impact that knife had made to me!

23. Subdood

Subdood Ex-bubblehead Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    1970s Buck Wrangler (large) size. Was the firstknife my Dad gave me. Got taken by a particularly nasty Airline worker in St. Croix VI in 1987 when I was flying home on emergency leave for my Dads funeral. Was supposed to give it to the flight crew to give it back when we landed in Atlanta. But didn't happen. Eastern Airlines went bankrupt later. Wasn't upset.

24. gwynn1975

gwynn1975 Misguided Wanderer Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That Buckmaster goes for high dollar now. Keep it in the safe man

25. Naturalist

Naturalist Guide

Blog Posts:
    My first knife, as a Cub Scout, was a Kamp King pocket knife with can opener, etc. Really liked that knife a lot.

MrFixIt, bacpacjac, Subdood and 2 others like this.
  26. bobc

bobc Scout

Blog Posts:
    My Boy Scout pocket knife....with BSA emblem on one of the scales......i kept it forever and recently gave it to my grandson who just crossed over into Boy Scouts from Webelos........a lot of fond memories....

Bob

MrFixIt, bacpacjac, beacon and 3 others like this.
  27. fx77

fx77 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Victorinox SAK 1962...

28. sweet trav

sweet trav Scout

Blog Posts:
    I had a set of what I think were western knives...a red handled one and a blue handled one in a double sheath...I used to wear it on all our adventures as a kid...man, I wish I could find one of those sets but no luck yet.

T

29. Wasp

Wasp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Supporter

Blog Posts:
    New generation is SAK's pretty sure. Your showing your age. Lol

MrFixIt, bacpacjac, beacon and 2 others like this.
  30. Nesrath

Nesrath Tracker

Blog Posts:
    IMG_2581.JPG I had two of the gerber ultra light folders lost one camping then my dad got me a replacement. Loved that knife.

31. Newtown Mark

Newtown Mark Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Buck Pathfinder - which I still have many, many, many years later.

32. Foilist

Foilist Scout

Blog Posts:
    My first real knife was a SAK Huntsman that I saved up for and bought when I was 12. It was my edc until I was about 30 and started carrying multitools. I still have it. It lives in semi-retirement in my woodsloafing bag.

The one I lusted after as a kid was a Schrade Uncle Henry Golden Spike. It was in the display case of an outdoor store and I would drool over it whenever I went there. I never got one, though. I sometimes think of getting one now just because I can, but I really have no use for it.

33. 6gun

6gun Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I own a lot of knives just because I thought they were cool when I was young and was not allowed to have them. No use whatsoever except that I wanted to. Go ahead, buy you a good old carbon steel Golden spike. We only get one trip!

34. designtom

designtom Scout

Blog Posts:
    Got to use something like this when I went in the woods with Grandpa ....... ended up having the handle shot off when my little brother missed a 24" oak backstop (at like 21 feet) with the .22 and it went into Pop's footlocker with his outdoor gear.

[​IMG]

35. Lobo13

Lobo13 Lone Wolf Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My first real knife was a 1980 Camillus US army demolition knife that I believe my "father" stole during his and my mothers divorce. I truly loved that knife & thought it was the greatest knife ever. It was given to me by my grandfather who had it in his tackle box. Man I miss that knife !

IMG_4578.JPG

36. will62

will62 Scout

Blog Posts:
    An Old Timer medium Stockman I got for my 8th birthday got the first of many scars from that knife. In the Navy I used a TL-29 made by Klien, if I remember correctly.

37. beacon

beacon Simul justus et peccator Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Showing my age for sure. Nothing to hide here though.

38. vyking

vyking Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My Dad's old three blade schrade.

39. S.Decker

S.Decker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My first knife was a Buck stockman. Dad let me use it to open Christmas presents.
    One Christmas, when I was 7, dad handed it to me, as usual. After I was finished with it, I went to hand it back, and he said, " it's yours, now".
    I still have it. I use it every Christmas, and it's still kept razor sharp.

stillman, MrFixIt, gwynn1975 and 3 others like this.
  40. OrienM

OrienM Scout

Blog Posts:
    Three knives come to mind...My dad always carried (still does) a Victorinox SAK, which appears in some of my earliest recollections of camping. I remember getting my first self-inflicted knife injury with it, too...:4:

Around age 6 I stole/borrowed a cheapo kitchen knife from my mom, and used it as my main woods tool for several years. I still like a big knife/machete type thing over most other designs.

Around age 10-11 I made my first knife...mild steel, laboriously hand-filed to a crude dagger shape, one edge 'barbed' for some reason, with a blocky, bolted-on beechwood handle. No heat-treating since I'd never heard of such a thing, yet. Super ugly knife :4:, but I went on to make lots more.

41. MommaJ

MommaJ Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    The heritage knife of my family is still in use and salt I have no pictures of it. My great grandma's knife but we call it grandma's knife. My mom currently has it as her grandma gave it to her and my mom will bee giving it to my oldest daughter hence a grandma knife.

When using said grandma knife it is hand washed and dried only, sharpened only if absolutely necessary, add too chop away meat bones with it. Lol its an old butcher/ chopper knife that has held a glorious edge despite chopping through bones the past 100 years or so and at this point in its life it is probably half its original width but100%it's original length and original handle next time I'm at my mom's I'll have to get a picture of it.

42. ozarkhunter

ozarkhunter Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    My first knife was a Barlow that my dad gave me when I was in cub scouts. No idea what happened to it through the years. While I had a few cheap knives along the way, the first "quality" knife I owned and still have was/is a Buck 110 my great uncle gave me when I graduated high school in 1984. It rides in one of my hunting packs as a backup.

Lichen, MrFixIt, gwynn1975 and 3 others like this.
  43. Paintertale

Paintertale Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    My first was a genuine Cub Scout knife with locking blade. I carried it everyday, even to school. My teachers would borrow it if they needed to cut something! I wish we could go back to a less paranoid time.

44. GrayOwl

GrayOwl Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Growing up in Czech Republic, I had a small Rybička knife (Fish Knife) as a kid. They are very popular, but I don't remember it being particularly good, but it worked!

Attached Files:

45. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Quoting this since I used this knife almost 20 years ago. It was one of the first I used when I was 5 years old, under adult supervision of course. :D

46. bacpacjac

bacpacjac Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    My Grandfather had one just like this when I was a kid. He mostly used it to slice his apples. It's the only thing he brought back from WW2 that he ever showed me or told me about. He and it are long since gone, but I found this one at a flea market a few years ago. It needs a new sheath but still works like a champ.

grandpas knife.jpg 20170717_165656[1].jpg

My dad got this in 1980 or 81, when I was about 10. He gave it to me when I went on my first un-chaperoned camping trip after my high school prom, when I was 18, and it lives on my EDC key chain.

20170717_163549.jpg 20170717_163619.jpg

47. Mr. Chips

Mr. Chips Tracker

Blog Posts:
    They didn't need to. Most of the kids had one.

gwynn1975 and MrFixIt like this.
  48. rswanson

rswanson Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    My first knife was a Bucklite 422 I was given when I was in the BSA. I have emptied every shoe box junk collection in my life more than once looking for that thing. I have no idea what happened to it.

As for what I remember most from my childhood, that would be my dad's small assortment. I can still recall looking at the little fishhook sharpener embedded in the scales of a Case folder (?) and thinking "Wow. Someone thought to do that?"

MrFixIt likes this.
  49. roadwarrior

roadwarrior Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I can remember being given 2 large folding knives with many blades a sheath and a spoon and fork on the outside. I don't know what happened to them but when your are 10 it is pretty awesome.

Lichen, MrFixIt and remington79 like this.
  50. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I had the same knife and lost mine also. I really liked the thin steel cover for the wickedly sharp saw blade. I wish I had another. Every time I find one, they're always sold out or discontinued.

One of these days...

Steve

NCLivingBrit and MrFixIt like this.