Whats the very first gun you shot?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Cwlongshot, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    40 S&W & 22 Mag fan residing in New England
    Do you still have it?

How old where you?

Was it a good experience?

Who was with you?

Mine was late 1960’s behind my home with my Dad. Shooting his early Ruger Single Six. That smell still triggers the fondest of memories.

CW

2. TheGeoSquirrel

TheGeoSquirrel Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yep, still have it. It is a Rau arms .22 single shot rifle that I bought brand new with my own money at TG&Y for the grand sum of $17.00 when I was around 13 years old.
    They were only made for a short time before Rau arms went out of business and sold out to another firearms manufacturer.

3. DarrylM

DarrylM Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My first firearm experience was with dad. His open sight, single shot, bolt action .22 lr branded by Sears Roebuck. I must've been mid-teen, it was a dandy experience, and Yes, he still has it.

4. adkwalker

adkwalker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Crossman pump BB gun wood stocks Grandparents house in the Adirondacks I think my brother has it. 22cal Boyscout camp.
    First shotgun 20gauge single break Stevens I believe still have it. First pistol 22cal single action revolver Ruger bobcat still have it .
    Had lots of firsts in the army !!

5. central joe

central joe Wait For Me!! Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Bout 6 years old with my father. A Winchester 22 semi auto. I still have it, but don't shoot it much anymore for sentimental reasons. Second was my Papa's 20 ga. double barrel Fox, and I still have it. joe

actichy, JeffG, M.Hatfield and 6 others like this.
  6. Unistat76

Unistat76 Nerd Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    6th grade camp, with a public school no less! 32 years ago. We shot single-shot bolt action .22lr, something along the lines of a Cricket, I'd guess.

I don't have it since it was the camp's rifle.

I didn't grow up around firearms. My parents weren't anti or anything, it was just not one of our "things."

I had been looking forward to it for 5 years, ever since my older brother came back from camp with some empty .22 shells. I thought the were just the coolest, especially how you could blow air over the top and make them whistle, lol!

It was definitely a positive experience. It was sort of a personal right of passage in my mind. Going from being a "big kid" into a teenager. I did my baptism that same year and I felt very officially "older," haha!

7. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Winchester single shot bolt action of my great uncles. I think I was 13 and I was with my dad. I remember it like it was yesterday.
    I do still own the gun and it’s still very accurate.

8. shoggoth80

shoggoth80 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Daisy BB gun. My folks still have it, though it's seriously whooped by this point in time. Occasionally I toy with the idea of getting an airgun again for sheer convenience.

9. barkoguru

barkoguru Scout

Blog Posts:
    Stevens single .410 squirrel hunting with my dad, I was around 8-9 yrs olds, I can still see the squirrel falling from a tall east Texas pine beside an old mill pond we fished in and the feeling of surprise as it fell, still have that very gun, lost my dad in 1975 a yr or so later, we made a lifetime of memories the short time I knew him.

10. Bryan King

Bryan King Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    To young to remember, my dad started us young. If he wasn't working we were in the woods, he always had a gun or two with him. The first pistol I owned was a Ruger single six he bought me when I was about 10. The first pistol I bought was a Ruger Blackhawk .44 mag, I was 16, I wanted one like his. Wish I still had them.

11. randyt

randyt Guide

Blog Posts:
    can't remember but I think it was a stevens favorite.

12. Swampyankee101

Swampyankee101 Scout

Blog Posts:
    A Marlin 99 M-2. I have since re-acquired a M-1 version. Keeps me in my youth.

13. slysir

slysir Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don't remember the first one I ever shot but I do remember the first one I bought. I was 13 or 14 and I ordered it with my own money from Sears without my parents knowledge. It was a Ted Williams single shot bolt action .22lr. Back in those days it took 6 to 8 weeks for delivery...a LONG 6 to 8 weeks. But, one day when I got home from school it was behind the front screen door. I kept it hidden for several weeks until I finally told my dad. Mom wasn't real happy, but I was allowed to keep it. Back in those days a boy riding his bike with a rifle wasn't a big deal. I had a lot of fun with that gun. Years later it was sold so I could keep my car running.

-John

14. GunGoBoom

GunGoBoom I'm not lost, I've just misplaced myself. Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Mine was a bolt action Savage in .22lr. I couldn't tell you the exact model. Unfortunately, it disappeared while in the care of another family member along with a number of other firearms.

15. smithj01

smithj01 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Winchester model 75 target rifle
    I was 12
    Must have been a good experience as I have shot guns weekly ever since
    I was in DeMolay - chapter father introduced a group of us

16. Ithica

Ithica Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Wards Western Field Model 30 16ga pump shotgun. On my first pheasant hunt, I flushed and shot a pheasant with one shot. It was the first time I had ever shot a firearm that wasn't a BB gun or a Boy Scout camp .22 target rifle. My dad and his friend were amazed. I then used my dad's Remington 1100 12ga to take a woodcock that they had flushed several times and shot at and missed. I think I was 14 years old. Before the next season, I purchased a used Ithica SKB Model 500 12ga O/U. My Dad traded the Wards shotgun off for some other gun.

17. jackpine

jackpine Fire? I don't see any fire!? Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Winchester? 22 single load bolt action at Cub Scout camp.

18. heldfast

heldfast Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Ithaca M49 Saddlegun 22lr up at stoneman lake AZ, I was 8. Got a whole box of shorts, Dad told me to aim away from the camp. Shot up some pop cans ... sure wish I still had that gun!

19. leghog

leghog Guide

Blog Posts:
    An airgun. Can't even remember which.

20. chesterpulley

chesterpulley Scout

Blog Posts:
    Very first was an old Red Ryder passed down from an uncle. It was a 1940's version, heaver gauge steel and springs than the current iteration. Dumb kid that I was, it got left against a tree or leaned against the house until all the weathering finally did it in.

First actual firearm was the Colt Scout mentioned in the Wrangler thread. It must have belonged to a friend of dad's who was visiting, and I don't remember what we were actually using for targets.

CW mentioned "smells", and those bring up a few fond memories. Dominion .22 Shorts from the Holiday Station, shot in the basement with a box of old phone books for a backstop during the winter, they were loaded with Unique. Although I didn't know it at the time, I recalled the appearance of the unburned grains in the action and recognized the smell immediately years later when I started reloading.

Another favorite is the memory of the acrid smell of the smoke wisping out a paper shotgun hull lying on the ground on a cool fall morning...

21. Drop Cord

Drop Cord Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Ithaca model 66 "super single" .410 shotgun.

actichy and M.Hatfield like this.
  22. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Mossberg 22 bolt action rifle. Still have it. It was also the gun I took on my first hunt, for rabbits with my Dad. It is a takedown rifle too.

Oh, air guns forever, but the 22 was the first ‘real’ gun. I still have the Benjamin pump bb gun from when I was a kid and a single shot spring ‘1911’ pistol thing. What fun. :4:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    actichy, M.Hatfield and Cwlongshot like this.
  23. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    M1919 Browning machine gun.

Had fired several .22 rifles previously, couple of air rifles, and a 12 ga, shotgun. but the Browning was the first gun.

Do you still have it? Never had it. Belonged to U.S.M.C., United States Navy.

How old where you? 17 yrs. 2 mos.

Was it a good experience? Definitely! :dblthumb: Got to chop up an old pickup. POWER! :D

Who was with you? Schoolmates from my high school in Devil Pup Program and Camp Pendleton training staff.

24. highlander

highlander Veni Vidi comedit lardum Supporter

Blog Posts:
    A Revelation .22 Semi-Auto that belonged to my grandad (my mom’s dad). He passed away 6 weeks after my birth from cancer.
    My grandma had some financial struggles so my mom and dad bought a 12 Gauge J.C Higgins pump, and that .22 rifle from her. I have both guns. When I was 10 my dad took me shooting behind the house. He always preached safety and made shooting fun.
    I think that shooting that gun was the reason I am into guns now.

25. gila_dog

gila_dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Winchester model 62, .22 pump. It was my Dad's gun from when he was a high school kid in the 1930's. I don't know if it was new when his Dad bought if for him. When I was 8 yrs old he started taking me out in a canyon nearby and "plinking" with it. One box of .22 shorts or longs at cans against the hillside, then we took it home, cleaned it, and put in in his bedroom closet (unloaded). He kept the ammo in his dresser drawer. We kids learned to respect it, and even fear it a bit, because of what we saw that it could do. I watched my Dad shoot a running jack rabbit with it. It took about 3 shots as he came up from behind it, and the last shot rolled the rabbit. None of us kids ever messed with it. From high school on, I used it to hunt rabbits. I've taught several kids and adults to shoot a rifle with it over the years, and I still have it.

Not mine, but this is what it looks like:
    upload_2019-7-12_18-48-15.jpeg

26. CSM1970

CSM1970 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Besides a BB gun, I had a Remington semi-auto .22 with a Weaver scope bought in 1965. It is a tack driver. I gave it to my SIL to worry the squirrels in Louisiana. He still has it.

actichy, M.Hatfield and NevadaBlue like this.
  27. Snakeshooter

Snakeshooter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My brother.We had similar experiences! Mine was a Winchester .22 with Dad at 6. My second was Grandpa's Natural Hunter 12 gauge single shot. I still have both.

28. RebelYell

RebelYell Scout

Blog Posts:
    Daisy BB gun at 7 years old, 16 gauge single shot at about 10 years old, 22 LR rifle at around 11 years old and a 1911-A1 at age 15.

29. Redbearcat7

Redbearcat7 Scout

Blog Posts:
    12 guage Plymouth side by side. Borrowed from my great uncle to shoot ground hogs around the farm.
    I was about 12 or so. No instruction, just new one end was bad the other good. Did a lot of sitting and waiting.

30. DomC

DomC Retired Old Scrub Stomper Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My 1st bb gun was a Crosman pump, followed by a Daisy CO2 Model 700 pistol. Then at 12 or 13 yrs old I shot a Marlin bolt action single shot 22LR. I had a Browning Buckmark 22LR, Ruger Single six with two cylinders 22LR, and 22Mag.
    I had 2 bigbore wheel guns, a Ruger Bisley Blackhawk and Redhawk both in 44mag, a TC contender w/a 14" bull barrel in 44 mag w/ 4X NIKON Pistol scope, (my hog hunting rig). I also had a Remington model 700 30-06 w/3x9 Tasco variable scope., Marlin 336 30-30 Lever Action for hunting deer in the brush. I also had an H&R Pardner 12 gauge single shot shotgun.
    All my armory was confiscated by Florida Sherriff Dept in 2001 during an injunction served by my ex-wife.:mad::mad::mad:
    Dominick.........

31. A K Church

A K Church Guide

Blog Posts:
    Remington Model 41. My sister and brother-in-law have it.

Shot it with my father during one of the short spells we got along, which eventually ended altogether. Elementary school aged.

Loved shooting from the first round I fired.

32. JohnP

JohnP No more half measures Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Stevens semi-automatic .22 rifle. It was my dad’s, I was 9 or 10. My brother in law got it when my dad passed, then my BIL passed and I don’t know where it ended up. My nephew probably has it.

JohnP

33. colrbh

colrbh Scout

Blog Posts:
    Was like 8 and my brother let me shoot his .35 rem. Immediately got an idiot mark and stitches, mom and dad were not pleased..

34. logan-boone

logan-boone Scout

Blog Posts:
    9 years old, my brother's Ithaca model 66 in 20ga, it kind rung my bell being a skinny little thing, but I was hooked.

I had my first BB gun at age 6, saved up birthday money and bought it for $13, my Ma actually taught me to shoot that, as my Dad worked nights.

35. Glenn Rowe

Glenn Rowe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I was all of 3 years old when my father let me shoot my first gun. Of course, my father actually held and aimed the rifle; I just pulled the trigger.

The rifle: a La Francais Modele 1921, a single-shot .22 rimfire military training rifle that looks rather like the Lebel Model 1886. My father brought it back from Europe in 1945. My sister and I still have it.

36. tomme boy

tomme boy Guide

Blog Posts:
    Browning A5 12ga. I was about 6, I was with one of my uncles. I did not have a father growing up. Just all my mothers brothers. Had my first gun at 12. Used Remington 870 wingmaster 12ga.

First gun I bought was a Chinese SKS new in the box. 1989. Paid $79 for the gun and $69 for a case of Chinese steel core 1440 rounds I think.

37. ezra45

ezra45 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    My dads issue 1911 when I was 7. He was an infantry officer and took me to the base range. A few years later, my own first gun was a Schmidt SAA copy in .22 LR that I bought with my own money and dads permission in Tucson AZ. That Christmas, my folks bought an Ithaca model 49 .22 for me at Montgomery Wards in downtown Tucson.
    I still have the Schmidt but after 1000s of rounds it is too loose to shoot now. Memories...
    It was a great experience. One of my best memories of my dad and I and a foretelling of a life with many firearms.

Regards,

ezra

38. sak45acp

sak45acp Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I was probably about three years old. The first gun I shot was one of my Dad’s .22 Stevens rolling blocks. It was probably a “Favorite” but I don’t remember him calling it that. Next would have been the single shot Remington.22 bolter, then graduated to the Winchester model 62 pump. I still have the Remington and Winchester, but Dad sold the Stevens with a bunch of other guns (wish I still had all of those). My first gun was a single shot .410, then a S&W .22 pistol when I was 16. The shotgun was donated to 4H, but I still have the pistol.

39. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I certainly don’t remember the first time I fired a gun,,, had to be in the mid to late 1950’s,,, probably a .22, but knowing Dad it was more likely the old 12ga double of his,,, I still have it. I remember my first trap line,,, remember hunting rabbits with a bow when I was 9 or 10,,, I remember my first shotgun pheasant when I was 12 or 13,,, my first shotgun squirrel probably the same fall,,, Rabbits with the shotgun were a breeze after hunting them with a bow. I sure don’t remember the first time I fired a gun,,, any sort of gun.

Still have a scar on my finger from my first and only BB gun,,, almost cut my finger off that time,,, had to have been in 1956 or ‘57...

40. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    Classic!

M.Hatfield likes this.
  41. ozarkbushman

ozarkbushman Scout

Blog Posts:
    A Stevens 410 is the first gun I ever shot also. I shot a squirrel with my grandpa. I was about seven. Two years later at nine he told my mother to let the boy hunt alone. I still have the 410. It will be the first gun I put in my boys hands. Because we're them ole boys raised on shotguns.

M.Hatfield likes this.
  42. santaman2000

santaman2000 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Daddy’s 12 gauge. It was a Remington 11-48 semiauto. I was 3 years old in the late 1950s (yeah, Daddy basically held it while I pulled the trigger) I still have that gun and his Dad’s 20 gauge Winchester Model 12. The first one I ever shot without help was a bolt action single shot without help was the 22 single shot Daddy gave me when I was 9. It was a Sears & Roebuck (I still have it too)

M.Hatfield likes this.
  43. 45jack

45jack Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Granddad had a little single shot bolt gun. I have no idea what the brand it was.
    Little knob on the back to cock it.

M.Hatfield and santaman2000 like this.
  44. Bob

Bob Tracker

Blog Posts:
    First gun I shot was a 30-40 Krag sporterized military surplus rifle. I was 5. I still remember it and it was 59 years ago. I still have the rifle and it still shoots very well. Just that my eyes have changed over the years, but I still enjoy it.
    Bob

M.Hatfield and santaman2000 like this.
  45. Beach Hiker

Beach Hiker LB 42 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Daisy bb gun.
    I was probably 5 or 6.
    We got surprisingly good at target shooting.
    I loved it!

M.Hatfield and Bronco68 like this.
  46. Lars

Lars Angry German

Blog Posts:
    Heckler & Koch G3

During mandatory military service in the Bundeswehr just after high school.

Zeke, M.Hatfield and Haggis like this.
  47. Bronco68

Bronco68 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Daisy BB gun was my first as well. I was 8 years old, and I’ve been hooked ever since.

M.Hatfield likes this.
  48. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Real Gun?
    Was racking my grandpa's 12 ga as early as I could lift the butt to my shoulder, but he helped. Big old 12 guage can pinch small fingers. I was probably about five? No shooting though although made the noise. Lol

First time I shot a gun? Probably about nine when my dad was oiling his single action revolver. It was a .22 LR, he put a CB cap in it and said go shoot into the dirt pile over there. I couldn't believe the trust and was careful. It was one shot but it was a big deal to me. Really big! It wasn't so much about the gun or shooting, that was great, but what it represented to me was so much more.

My dad still has the revolver, so I don't have it per se'. But someday.

M.Hatfield and Cwlongshot like this.
  49. bluecow

bluecow Scout

Blog Posts:
    age 4. M1 carbine. thats the day dad started to teach me "things" that he had picked up fighting in 3 wars. mom and others thought he was nuts, a few years latter in 1968 he would point at the news saying i told you so and my boy has a good head start on being ready if he needs to be.

Swampyankee101 and M.Hatfield like this.
  50. weaselrunner

weaselrunner Scout

Blog Posts:
    Remington model 11 12 gauge that my grandfather left me when I was about 10 years old. Still have it and used it for hunting many a time.

M.Hatfield likes this.