Whats the very first gun you shot?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Cwlongshot, Jul 12, 2019.

1. fixits

fixits Noble Savage Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Short barrel Winchester 67 22 single shot. It was was my dad's first gun, bought in the early 40`s.

It's the first gun all the kids in the family shoots. Probably going to last another 200 years with care.

M.Hatfield and Cwlongshot like this.
  2. Park Swan

Park Swan Maker Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Dad took me "squirrel hunting" when I was 6 with the .22 he grew up shooting. Apparently squirrel hunting for a 6 year old means hiking into the woods and plinking at litter :)

M.Hatfield and Cwlongshot like this.
  3. Birdman

Birdman IG: @ChasingTheBackcountry Supporter

Blog Posts:
    A 1936 Springfield / Steven's Wards Western .22lr single shot bolt gun. Was my grandfathers originally, then given to me by my uncle. Still have it, and still hunt with it from time to time.

M.Hatfield likes this.
  4. LMT66

LMT66 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My Dad's M1 Carbine. He bought it in 1971 and still has it. The wood is beautiful.
    Been a while since he's had it out but IIRC it's either Springfield or Rock Island stamped. Commercial model.

M.Hatfield likes this.
  5. Scotchmon

Scotchmon Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Grandpa’s break action single shot .22.
    Wish I had that old gun.
    Then we moved onto my Pop’s semi auto .22. I believe he got it from a Sears Catalog on his 16th birthday.
    This one still hangs in Pop’s shed.
    Once we got older( 9 or 10) we moved up to grandpa’s hammer 12 gauge SxS.
    My Pops still has it, and my brother has laid claim to that one. OK with me as it is no longer in firing condition. Funny thing is that years ago my bro actually took that gun, cased, aboard the train to Chicago, and took it to Abercrombie and Fitch to see if it could be repaired ! Try that nowadays!!

Cwlongshot and M.Hatfield like this.
  6. Lee C.

Lee C. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Remington 870 wingmaster. Made in 72-73? Still have it ....shoot trap with it too.

M.Hatfield likes this.
  7. Polecat

Polecat Polecat in a Poke Supporter

Blog Posts:
    sc-DSCN0981.JPG

Marlin 15Y single-shot bolt action .22LR. My old man gave it to me when I was 6. I got to hang it on pegs above my bedroom door, but I didn't get unsupervised access to the ammunition cabinet until a couple years after that. :p

Took the scope off and put it on another gun years ago. The rear sight elevator is missing. Haven't shot it for years, but it retains a place of honor in the collection.

Cwlongshot and M.Hatfield like this.
  8. Woodsman Wannabe

Woodsman Wannabe Scout

Blog Posts:
    Started with a Daisy BB gun in the Jaycee shooting safety course, guessing I was 6 or so. The first real gun that I can remember was a Remington model 581 .22 bolt action rifle some time in the late 1960's. Dad took me with him to the shop where he worked. They had a bullet trap set up for .22 use only. Not sure where it is, as it was not mine, most likely still in Dad's collection.

First I bought was a Ruger MKII SS 4 1/2" taper barrel. Ended up selling it when things got tough a few years later.

9. Duncsquatch

Duncsquatch Heed the call. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sears, single shot 22 that was my great Grandpa's. It's at least 60 years years old. I still have it and it still works. It was me and my dad shooting at pop cans.

10. CreativeRealms

CreativeRealms Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Either an Uzi or a Beretta M9 (not sure which I shot first because I fired them on the same day)
    Do you still have it? It was at a range and not my guns.
    How old where you? In my late teens.
    Was it a good experience? Obviously.
    Who was with you? My dad.

11. Robedsubset

Robedsubset Scout

Blog Posts:
    I would say a 357 mag Taurus revolver with my uncle.

12. outkastblast

outkastblast Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don't recall how old I was, but it was my dad's Sears & Roebuck version of the Marlin Model 60. It ate .22 short, .22 long, and .22 long rifle. Probably thousands of rounds through that thing. My dad still has it, but the extractor is busted. I need to figure out how to fix it.

13. Poppy Jay Jay

Poppy Jay Jay Scout

Blog Posts:
    The first rifle was a JC Higgens .22 bolt action with a tubular magazine. I must have been 7 or 8 years old. The first handgun was a H&R model 922 with a six inch barrel...I still have it.
    0924181712.jpg
    This is the gun that got me hooked on handguns. I had access to a private rifle range from an early age so I did lots of shooting.

14. perdidochas

perdidochas Guide

Blog Posts:
    Probably my dad's Remington 66. I don't really remember that specifically. I do remember the first pistol I shot (I was a bit older then). It was my dad's Browning Challenger .22 semi-auto. Both are still at my Mom's house.

15. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Squirrel hunting with my uncle when 6 yo, single shot 12 ga.

16. Noblesavage

Noblesavage Tracker

Blog Posts:
    1970's Marlin 60, yes I still have it. Not sure what age, somewhere around 12.

17. Nick Dundua

Nick Dundua Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I think I was like 5 , shot my fathers pump shotgun I just pulled the trigger and that's when the bug bit me that will follow until I die , we shoot birdshot from balcony on New Year's Eve so after then shot shotguns many times , also shot a makarov, Beretta 92 and nagant revolver a few times

Got my first shotgun when I was 12 , went quail hunting for first time with actually holding my own shotgun , it was a 20ga single barrel that was actually my fathers first official shotgun right away when he turned 18, I was pretty well taught but you know , kids think there good at something pretty quick, now the shotgun was for right handed shooter and had the safety on that side , so I was losing maybe half a second when the bird came up to take it off safe , so it's end of the day I think I'm good already an da we are at the end of one field , pointers stood still and there's like one meter left until end of grass , I thought I'd take of the safety and this would be a 100% kill , well not today , the pointers where pointing in different direction and the quail came out flying straight from my feet , for some reason even though I didn't have finger on the trigger I got scared and pulled the trigger , thank God the shotgun was pointing up and on my right and there was no one there , since then 12 years have passed and I have been on countless hunts , I can proudly say I have NEVER had the shotgun off safety when hunting , it turned in N1 priority , of course I don't lose any time anymore but even if I did safety is number one , that's a lesson I'll never forget :)

18. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    First 'gun' was a Daisy Red Ryder. I think it's still in my parents' attic. I was 11 or 12. Two years later I got a Crossman 766 Pumpmaster, probably when I was 13 or 14, and I still have that. My dad taught me what a sight picture was, but I practiced mostly on my own. I'd say it was an excellent experience.

When I was about 15, I shot my first actual gun, an old double barrelled shotgun owned by a family friend who was trying to get rid of some ancient cardboard-tube shotgun birdshells. About 1 in 3 failed, so the flinching was funny. Also a good experience.

When I was 16, I bought my first shotgun, a 1980-ish Remington 870 Wingmaster. I eventually fitted it with a slug barrel as well. I killed a rabbit with it, and did my first unsuccessful deer hunting with it. I still have that one, and there's not much I'd trade it for (maybe a Broomhandle Mauser, Luger P-08, or Walther PPK, but that's all I can think of.)

Around that same time, I fell in with an old guy up the road who always seemed to be out shooting his pistol. He introduced me to his .357, reloading .38 special target ammo for it, and started me on my hunting hobby, though it didn't bear fruit for many years after he passed. So that was also a good experience.

Shortly thereafter, I joined the Army, and got real marksmanship training, learned sight alignment a little better, and qualified with a series of weapons over the next several years: M16A1 and M16A2, M1911, M9? Beretta, M3 "Grease Gun", M60, M203, LAW, Dragon and TOW submunition trainers, Redeye trainer, 60mm, 81mm and 4.2" Mortars, M1 Abrams tank main gun and coax, M3 Bradley 25mm Bushmaster and coax, and the cal.50 (Tank Cmdr's weapon and ground mount). I also got to fire a lot of other oddball weapons like the AKM, PKM, SVD, Uzi (OPFOR training) and some really cool German stuff (Gewehr 98, P08 Luger, Walther PPK, Walther P38, G3 rifle, their squad MG whose name I forget, and the P7 pistol) during a partnership shoot with the German Army. We also got to handle an MP40, MG34, MG42, and a few others, and watch someone (their owner) fire them.

In my first semester at military school, I shot .22 for a few months, 3 days a week, trying out for the rifle team (didn't make it). I'm not sure why it went that long, but it was something to do besides run PT with everyone else (I could already run a sub-12 minute 2 mile, and didn't need more practice) so I signed up for it. As nearly as I can figure, this was my first experience with a .22LR round. Later on, in the NG, we used .22 shorts as a sub-munition for the M16A1. We also had a pneumatic mortar, for practice, and a laser-taggish thing for TOW practice.

The only weapons I've fired that I didn't like were my deer hunting buddy's M1 Garand (no limbsaver; bare metal buttplate), another buddy's Mosin-Nagant, and my own 12ga shotgun when shooting slugs. The SVD (just one shot) was strong but not painful. Another buddy's 30-06 sporterized Mauser (which which I killed my first deer) was not hard on the shoulder either. My .45-70 is one I can shoot part of the day (not all day, but at least a whole box of shells).

All that said, I don't necessarily like to shoot targets aside from annual deer-sighting-in with my 7mm-08 (a joy to shoot), .22 rifle and pistol sessions with my daughter, and .22 target sessions to reconfirm zero when i miss a squirrel (it's never the rifle, it turns out).

I do like to hunt though, more than anything else in the world except canoe camping... and if I had to give up one, it would be a long hard decision.

19. Swampdog

Swampdog Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    The first rifle I shot was .22 in Cub Scouts, 1960.

The second rifle I shot was M-14 in the Marines, 1970.

jswi2374 and Cwlongshot like this.
  20. jswi2374

jswi2374 Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Scout camp rifle, single shot, bolt action, .22lr.
    Today I have a Remington model 33 that reminds me of those days.

21. stillman

stillman Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    After shooting BB guns for a few months (or years, what kid knows how to judge time?) I pestered my father for what seemed like another few years (likely weeks) to shoot a real gun. He finally relented and took my brother and me out to the pasture with a Sears Ted Williams slide action 20 gauge and an empty quart oil can. He let us shoot at it for a while then threw it into the air a few times. Just before we were ready to go back to the house, he slipped a 3" magnum in the gun and let me take another shot. The recoil moved me back a foot or two but didn't dissuade my love for firearms and shooting.

22. doulos

doulos Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    M-14 in the USMC when I was 17.

Sloany and Swampdog like this.
  23. Ohio_Steve

Ohio_Steve Lost again... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I are up on my grandfather's farm, and he and Dad had a variety of firearms available. Aside from BB guns and a Crosman 24 pump up pellet gun, the first real firearm I ever shot was my grandfather's .22 rifle.

He had a Savage Model 1912 that he bought around 1914, and it was always on the enclosed back porch of the farmhouse. Somewhere around 10 years old (maybe earlier, I can't recall) He had me step out the door and shoot it over the railing at a can he'd set in the garden. What it a good experience? How could it not be! :)

After I was taught how to safely handle it and proved trustworthy, I was allowed to use it around the farm. The best place was laying on the tin roof on top of the chicken house on an old army blanket, shooting at rats around the corn crib.

My grandfather gave me his Savage for my 16th birthday, and I shot it many thousands of times since. It eventually wore so that it sometimes went full auto (seven round magazine) which was fun, but it also didn't always extract, which wasn't! The last time I shot it with more than one round in it was the time it went BBBRRRPPP, with the last live round pointing out the ejector opening and firing off. Way too many rounds of hyper velocity through a then 60 plus year old rifle not designed for them. I had the Glenfield 60 by then, so retired it to only occasional single shot use.

This rifle has family history, with stories of Grandpa carrying it back and forth to school in his youth during hunting season. And Dad riding an old Cushman scooter through the pasture with it in a make shift scabbard, crashing, and breaking the stock. The repairs are a visible part of its story.

And yes, I still have it, and may some day get it repaired to full functionality. For now, it is in the safe except for the occasional fondling to bring back memories.

i-cxfWKwX-XL.jpg

i-cJW9kzF-XL.jpg

i-p8XpDKG-XL.jpg

i-mR5RFFg-XL.jpg

24. Knifeguy510

Knifeguy510 Scout

Blog Posts:
    The very first gun. I shot I was about 9 or 10. I did not grow up in a hunting type gun owning family but my best friends uncle had a few guns. To us it was like whoa a gun!!! He was a fire man we just thought he was the coolest guy around. So we asked him to take us shooting and he resisted for a while . But finally took us out to this range where he shot.

When we arrived it was closed but there was a guy at the gate. My buddies uncle was like man ur closed I promised the boys they could shoot a few rounds. The guy leaned in and said You didn't hear this from me but... The people whom live around here are more than used to the occasional gun shot . So if you went down the way some and found a safe shot in the woods to let them each take a couple shots ok probably wouldn't raise any eye brows!

So off we went and he handed me a double barrel shot gun over under !! I have no idea what brand or what type of shell we shot . I know that dead tree was deader by the end as was my shoulder!! It looked like I had been kicked by a mule in my shoulder the next day! But I will never forget that day . In hindsight probly not the safest thing in the world !! No ear pro nothing !

25. Wapitilo

Wapitilo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Winchester model 67 bolt action single shot .22. Must have been about 6 years old. That thing is a tack driver. I'm lucky enough to still have my dad so he still has the rifle. It sets next to his arm chair and he controls the varmint population with it outside his porch.

BB guns were much earlier.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    Cwlongshot likes this.
  26. conquerordie

conquerordie Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thompson Center Renegade with a maxi ball leaned over a treestump when I was 5.

27. Gruxxx

Gruxxx NRA Endowment Life Member Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    It was either a Crossman air rifle or a .22 bolt rifle with my dad or grandpa around age 7 or so. It may have even been one of the .22's I still have from them, but I have no idea.

28. Knifeguy510

Knifeguy510 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Of we are counting air rifles then actually I definat shot a daisy pump action bb gun b4 that 12 gage

29. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Not counting BB guns, Mossburg .410 bolt action. Don’t still have it.

My intro to guns was dove hunting with my dad, and he thought this was a good choice for an eight-year old. In retrospect, I can’t argue, and I did get me some birds.

Cwlongshot likes this.
  30. prprd_1

prprd_1 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My Dad’s Iver Johnson self cocking safety rifle, then I graduated to his Colt Colteer.

31. CowboyJesus

CowboyJesus Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    wish i could remember, honestly....

i shot BB guns as a kid, of course. multipump air rifle, plus 2 BB hand guns- a CO2 powered that had used to carry on his bike as a dog deterrent, and another one i can barely remember....

i wish i could remember the make and caliber of the first power burner. dad has some relatively large caliber revolver, and he'd guide us and help us hold it. can't remember anything else about it, but i remember grinning ear to ear since my first three shots i was hitting right on target. if i was hoping to get one thing from him when he passes, it would probably be that gun. i left it out-he does have the cowboy style gun belt and holster for it, though he is NO cowboy at all, just a lover of westerns.

32. RTDoug

RTDoug Scout

Blog Posts:
    Handsome little rifle. Good story too. Thanks for sharing

33. dial1911

dial1911 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Springfield .22 bolt action... grandaddy taught me when I was about 5 or 6.

(Not counting bb guns)

To hear granny tell the story, their country neighbors were up in arms because he had someone so young learning to shoot in the back field. This was middle of nowhere too.

And I've still got it.

34. RTDoug

RTDoug Scout

Blog Posts:
    My dad's Light Twelve A-5, Belgian. (Are there any other kind?) Put pellets of #7 1/2's thru a Nu-Maid margarine bowl laying out about 15 yds. I was in third grade, 8 or 9. My buddies thought I was lyin'. I was a skinny feller.

35. Kinggoat

Kinggoat Scout

Blog Posts:
    My first gun was a pellet gun. I must have been 9 or 10. Then a sawed off pistol grip single shot .22 that was horrible for any thing unless you were a foot away. I shot both with my father. The .22 belonged to my grandfather. I think he must have used it when he use to trap. He had passed away before I was old enough to ask him all of the woods lore questions I have now. He did help my brother and I build a lean to fort and found a fox skull for us to have hanging in there. I miss him.

Cwlongshot likes this.
  36. leaf and lightning

leaf and lightning Guide

Blog Posts:
    An old single shot 20ga of my dad's. I was maybe 8 or 9 at the time. My dad popped a slug in and sat and watched as I held it too loosely to my shoulder. After I shot, while I was rubbing my now sore shoulder, he handed me another shell(a low brass target load that time) and tells me to hold it tight to my shoulder to keep that from happening again. Learned pretty quick.

Cwlongshot likes this.
  37. RussM

RussM Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Browning Auto 5 16 ga. It was my father's gun. I first shot it around 1964. Yes I have his gun now.

38. Winchester 1886

Winchester 1886 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My Uncle's 1950's Winchester Model 70 30-06 with the steel butt plate,I was 9 in 1966
    Just had on a t-shirt I'll never forget it.....it hurt so bad I cried.....LOL

Sloany likes this.
  39. Muskeg_Stomper

Muskeg_Stomper Tiaga & Tundra Wanderer Supporter

Blog Posts:
    First shots were with an old bb rifle my Dad had. First pistol shots were with a pellet pistol someone loaned to Dad. Got my own Daisy Model 99 in 1968 or ‘69. I still have that rifle and it works just fine. My kids all learned to shoot with it.

I didn’t shoot a real firearm until joining the Army. Uncle Sam didn’t let me keep that one. :)

First firearm I had a friend buy for me because I was still under 21 was a Ruger Standard pistol. Still have that one too.

40. jswi2374

jswi2374 Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    My first shot was when I was about 13. Boy Scout summer camp had a range and 5 single shot .22s. No idea what make/ model. I just remember it was awesomely fun and I was lousy at it. Years later I learned I'm left eye dominant and my shooting improved greatly.

41. Rooster

Rooster Scout

Blog Posts:
    I suppose I was about 12 at the time and visiting my aunt and uncle in Alabama. I got to shoot my cousins Marlin Model 60...what a thrill. I'd shot BB and pellet guns but I consider that Marlin the first real gun I ever shot.

Muskeg_Stomper likes this.
  42. Guy

Guy Founder Staff Member Administrator Vendor Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Other than a BB gun, the first firearm that I shot was my uncle's .50 Hawken, when I was 10 or 11. He didn't load it up to full load, but I hit the milk jug with every shot. He has since passed on, but he left me the Hawken.

Sloany likes this.
  43. Sloany

Sloany Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    A 16 gauge Browning Hump Back, firing a high brass shell of # 6 shot, when I was 12 I think. ( just about 60 years ago and I still have the empty shell ) It was a right of passage so to speak, for me, my brother, and all my cousins, to go with the uncles when it was time, while they watched me damn near get knocked on my butt from the recoil, LOL. One of the uncles would always stand behind us ready to grab the gun and catch us, LOL. A great memory for me and my brother.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    Guy likes this.
  44. RackinRay

RackinRay Scout

Blog Posts:
    First gun experience was at 11 or 12 with a Savage 94 12 gauge, with a full choke barrel. First shot set me on my butt to dad's and uncle's amusement.

Then I got up, asked for another shot and set my feet and jammed the gun into my shoulder. I hit the target, and was hooked!

Never owned the gun, but it lead to owning many over the years.

Sloany and Guy like this.