whats up with all the fires

Discussion in 'New Mexico' started by koolaidman505, Jun 28, 2011.

1. koolaidman505

koolaidman505 Scout

Blog Posts:
    man these fires are getting out of hand here everything is closed so much for camping this summer whats nit burning will be closed whats a guy gonna do

2. ffchris

ffchris Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Same thing here in AZ. Pray for rain!

3. koolaidman505

koolaidman505 Scout

Blog Posts:
    im to scared to pray for rain its been so hot the rain wont make it to the ground and will have more fire from the lighting

4. TheGeoSquirrel

TheGeoSquirrel Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Just checking in, I hope all of our NM members are out of harms way. Man it seems we can't get a break. Los Alamos may burn for the second time in 11 years.
    I think we could stop a lot of these fires in the future if the state would start taking out gangs of prisoners and clear down and dead brush and debries. It puts them to work doing something useful and takes care of some of the fire danger.
    I'm afraid that we are not going to be able to get out anywhere this year and if we do it will be after it has burned.
    I have lived in NM all my life (54 years) and lived all around the state Albuquerque, Sante Fe, Los Alamos, Ft. Sumner, Roswell, Alamogordo, Las Cruces, Cimmeron and this is the worst conditions that I can ever remember.

5. Blazin

Blazin Guide

Blog Posts:
    The Gila isn't closed is it?

6. R_W

R_W Guide

Blog Posts:
    Too bad they can't pick up the water from the Missouri River and dump it there...

We have more than enough

7. overlord_eric

overlord_eric Scout

Blog Posts:
  8. EdD270

EdD270 Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    What's a guy to do??
    Ummm... here in Arizona he'd have to stay home since all the forests are closed. As has been mentioned, many forests in NM are closed, too. All due to extreme fire danger, or active fires.
    Even when the rains come, the woods are going to be kind of sad looking, all black, just some bare sticks standing. But at least we can go camping again.

9. walkabout

walkabout Guide

Blog Posts:
    I know a fire is good for the woods every once in awhile, but DAMN its like the gates of hell down there, seems like thats all we hear anymore, stay safe and vigilante down there and dont wait till the last minute to get out if its a'comin' your way.

10. TheGeoSquirrel

Blog Posts:
    We now have another burning in the Hondo valley below Ruiodso on the Donaldson ranch and it is not any where near contained. This is just getting crazy.

11. R_W

R_W Guide

Blog Posts:
    MORE than once in a while--that is the problem. Fuel builds up and occasional fires get BIG and uncontrollable. More frequent fires have less fuel, stay small enough to control and NOT DESTROY the old growth--only the dead stuff.

12. TheGeoSquirrel

Blog Posts:
    Just found out that there is a second fire burning on a neighboring ranch to the Donaldson ranch. Both lightening caused. We are haveing enough problems with lightening and such, I really hope that people don't get severly stupid here on the 4th of July. I wish that they would just shut down the fireworks stands and lock up anyone caught using them. I have nothing against fireworks but right now is not the time 4th of July or not!

13. koolaidman505

koolaidman505 Scout

Blog Posts:
    After 200 plus years of total fire suppression what did we think was going to happen the forests here in New Mexico are so choked with deadfall and debris you can hardly walk in the tree line the state got smart after the cero grande fire and started a thinning program
    But too little to late all the mountain ranges I grew up in have burned it’s to late for them to
    Try to stop the sales of fireworks now but I just hope there will be some green left and no one get hurt this summer pray for rain and hope the big guy holds back the lighting

14. TheGeoSquirrel

Blog Posts:
    Now a fire near Silver city, one by Mayhill, two in the Hondo valley, still mopping up the one near Carlsbad and Los Alamos, so that's 6 active fires going on right now.

15. overlord_eric

overlord_eric Scout

Blog Posts:
    I got activated as part CERT to help patrol the Bosque to keep people and fireworks out.... Heres to hoping people won't be that stupid.

16. koolaidman505

koolaidman505 Scout

Blog Posts:
    good luck its going to be a long weekend

17. koolaidman505

koolaidman505 Scout

Blog Posts:
    well its raining i cant wait to get out in the woods if it keeps up i say by the end of the month ill be able to get out and see whats left of my stomping grounds

18. TheGeoSquirrel

Blog Posts:
    I'm glad you all up north and west are starting to get some rain. We are still dry dry dry down here. We got teased last night around midnight. Put the dogs out and the cement in the driveway was slightly damp but no rain falling. Nothing else the rest of the night. Maybe things are going to improve and we will start to get some rain but I'm not betting on it.

19. TheGeoSquirrel

Blog Posts:
    Well we finally got a little rain today. Rained hard for about 45 min then off and on for the rest of the afternoon. As I am writeing this it is sprinkeling somemore. I hope that this is the real start of some wet weather and not just a tease.