What's your reason for giving up on geocaching?

Discussion in 'Geocaching' started by AncientNCO, Jun 8, 2013.

1. lildannigurl

lildannigurl Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I can't believe it....I took the girls out for a hike and a lil geocache on the side and actually got harassed by a park ranger...what is the world coming to that you can't wander around the woods with your kids w/o a big macho man w/ a badge accusing you of wrong doing [​IMG]

2. Celtic Wookie

Celtic Wookie Tracker

Blog Posts:
    An alternative to consider: LETTERBOXING

Letterboxing has some of the same elements as geocaching (puzzle or GPS coordinates to a hidden cache). But, instead of it being filled with nine-cent imported trinkets that just clutter your house until stepped on or swallowed by your pet, there's an exchange of letterboxing ink stamps (examples here).

One carves one's personalized stamp (out of pencil eraser rubber or something similar) and gets a journal. One then goes in search of a letterbox. When one locates the letterbox, it will contain a stamp and journal also. One stamps one's own journal with the letterbox's stamp (showing where one has been) and also stamps the letterbox's journal with one's own stamp (leaving a running log of all the people who have found it).

Admittedly, there's much of the same potential for abuse as geocaching. But:

• it requires actual craftsmanship instead of a trip to the Five-and-Dime (or Internet equivalent);
    • one knows what one'll get before opening a box (it's always a stamp, none of the soggy business cards and unwrapped condoms mentioned above);
    • it's good for teaching orienteering to kids (what's not to like about a personal and multi-colored album of one's successes?);
    • total cost is very low (the stamp is self-made, so it's just about $20 for the materials and notebook) excepting gasoline;
    • no trinkets x infinitely fewer caches = less garbage in the environment;
    • it's a smaller and more insular community; and
    • in my own limited experience (your mileage may vary, but I hope not) the flagrant douchebaggery tends to be less than with geocaching.
    [See, for example, Letterboxing North America, Atlas Quest, Letterboxing.org or Letterboxing.info.]

[Also see a few relevant prior threads, including http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php/46912-Letterboxing and comments on some prior geocaching discussions.]

I think it's much more BCUSA compatible on the whole. Hope that's helpful.

3. teb_atoz

teb_atoz Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    geocaching has shown me the graves of two astronauts and Bozo the Clown. It is the people looking for the cache not the people placing the cache. Some time I will not place a cache in an area just because I know people will be idiots looking for the cache. It can be a good excuse to see some areas you never knew existed. Not sure if I have guit but have just slowed way down.
    cheers

4. rurik

rurik Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I am having the same issue with one of my caches at the moment. It is in an out of the way place and needs to be put back where it was found or it will get wet as it is suspended over water and you have to canoe in. People just kept on putting it back where ever even just leaving it tied to a tree floating in the water. It kept on getting full of water and ruining the log. On top of all of this I seeded the cache with plenty of good swag when I placed it, people kept on taking it and leaving nothing. The only thing added to it was a cork with a signature. So I have made my cache a micro so there is no swag and re-enforced my knots with zip ties so they cannot be undone. You now just un clip it fill in the log and leave. I might upgrade it to a letter box at some point.

5. tough mudder

tough mudder Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Actually, I enjoy caching for the practice it provides me with tabletopping their location on a map and the going out and using GPS, map and compass together to find the cache. The contents are irrelevent to me. I just want to know that I can mark a location on a topo map based on coordinates givin and then going out and using my nav. tools to find that location. Where I live I can literally go from one cache to another hiking (aka bushwacking) without getting back in my vehicle.All are located in the woods. Don't even have to look inside(although I do most times). Just knowing I was able to navigate to the spot is a great morale booster. Never know when ya have to use those skills for a real challenge.

marbleman likes this.
  6. oldsoldier

oldsoldier Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I was an avid cacher for a few years. Then, it sort of fell by the wayside. Recently, due to issues with my marriage, I started doing it again, as it occupies my time, and, honestly, I find a lot of cool places, and learn things. It is what you make of it though. I try to only find quality caches, although, that doesntl ALWAYS happen. We have a state challenge, where you need to collect at least 1 cache in each municipality. I'm currently working on that. It keeps me busy :)

7. Mazer

Mazer Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have yet to give up entirely. But I have reduced my geocaching time tremendously. Mostly trash in containers, Stolen containers, people being asses by trampling areas they should not be in, people spying on their caches, people putting a micro on every telephone pole, replacing a cache 200' from where it should have been....etc etc etc

8. gila_dog

gila_dog BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I still do a bit, but only in pretty wild areas. I've never done any urban geocaching. For me, it's all about seeing exceptional places that happen to have a geocache. I've placed 3 geocaches in places that have something special to see. The geocaches are just an added attraction.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Tarkov

Tarkov Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Too many cache's end up as missing, or they are placed on private property (Behind fences, hidden in cracks on buildings with restricted access). On top of that, too many of them are poorly maintained and the logs are often moldy.

10. Jon Foster

Jon Foster Guide

Blog Posts:
    We did it a lot with our kids when they were smaller. Now we don't do it as much just because we don't have a lot of extra time. But we still do them...

Jon.

11. hog

hog Guide

Blog Posts:
    I wont give it up as it get me out and about, I have seen places I never knew existed even here on the smallish island I live on.
    Does not matter what the cache looks like, just the anticipation of finding it.

12. The Woodsrunner

The Woodsrunner Bush Nerd Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Between having much more profitable and enjoyable activities available, and the fact that they have become nothing but kids toy boxes full of junk, I quit and probably won't go back.

13. hidingpool

hidingpool Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I haven't given it up but sometimes life gets in the way and I kinda put it on hold. Just getting back into it. As the years go on, I started in'06', I have gotten more picky about which ones to look for [although sometimes I still go for the numbers.] It never has been about the swag, it's the hunt ,man.

14. Chili

Chili Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I did it for a very short time.. Found maybe 8 or 10 and then lost interest. This was like 9-10 years ago. :eek:

15. wingnuts

wingnuts Guide

Blog Posts:
    Holy $hit I read the last post and am guessing I last cached better than 15 yrs and 3 units ago! The kids grew out of it shortly before I found it becoming too competitive. Wasn't having as much fun, had a cache stolen and another placed right next to one of mine. Lots of junk being left or nothing at all being left! Just kind lost it's shine and fell apart for me.

16. bigscarymonster

bigscarymonster Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I still enjoy it for the places it takes me that I never would have known about without looking for a cache. For example, the picture here is from last weekend when I was urban caching in the middle of Atlanta. [​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

17. Traditionalist

Traditionalist Scout

Blog Posts:
    I was one of the early geocachers and really enjoyed the game, but I gave up several years ago when fuel hit $4+ a gallon, and don't miss it like I thought I would. My son is going on 5yrs old, and in addition to our normal woods and outdoor activities, I think he'd probably enjoy the high-tech treasure hunt, so I plan to introduce him to geocaching in the next few weeks. There are probably dozens of new hides in my area I don't know about. Right now I just need to "locate" my username and password for my account! :D

Currahee likes this.
  18. kennedjt

kennedjt Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My family and I enjoyed caching for several years and we would spend entire Saturday's and Sunday's doing it. I think we started growing out of it as my kids got older. We also moved to a new city/state where geocaching wasn't quite as popular so there were only a handful of caches within close proximity and we found them quickly. I really enjoyed it when my kids were younger but over the past 6 years it just hasn't been as fun. My wife and I keep talking about getting back in to it for the exercise and finding new places but we haven't acted on it. It just wouldn't be the same without the kids.
    Avise La Fin

19. T MAC

T MAC Old Squid Supporter

Blog Posts:
    At one time I really liked doing this, however over time kind of lost interest due to fuel costs and finding boxes of mostly junk. The up side of doing this was getting to explore areas that I would have never known were out there.

20. nharbin1982

nharbin1982 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    If I see an interesting cache, we'll still hunt it, but otherwise... skirt lifters and bison tubes are boring.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

21. Crazysanman

Crazysanman Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I grab them when I travel to new locations, but that's about it now.

22. Brainburn

Brainburn Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Mostly it was all of the micro caches and the folks that took it way to seriously. I dabble now but, dont take it too serious.

23. basher1981

basher1981 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I liked traditional ammo sized caches in the woods.... then everything got flooded with micros that people could drive to and it became less and less fun. Given I do have a few TB active and an active cache but I dont really do much unless im out hiking and I fire up the app and see a cache along the hike I had planned or in a remote spot that could make for a more interesting hike to a different area

24. teb_atoz

Blog Posts:
    If done right cemetery and memorial caches can be fun and educational. And give more respect for the people involved.

I was going to quit once after doing 1000+ caches in a day but........

25. AncientNCO

AncientNCO Tracker

Blog Posts:
    True....some show respect and conduct themselves accordingly. On the other hand it seems like most are bumbling buffoons who could care less about respecting others, possibly learning something and are only out for the numbers.

26. aaronh33

aaronh33 Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I never really got into it for the "treasure" hunt part of it. I thought it was kinda cool to get out and see some new areas. I worked on a fire department doing wildland firefighting and we used geocaching as a way to teach new people how to use a gps. Since I dont have a gps of my own I have really never got into it.

27. NJHeart2Heart

NJHeart2Heart Backyard Bushcrafter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Just happened across this. I've done letterboxing, which is the more primitive form I think of geocaching, and was also involved in a smartphone game called "Ingress" for a while, which involves some hunting of specific spots as well. I have to agree with @darodalaf though - that I start out excited, but wind up in the end getting distracted because I'd rather just hike, and admire things on my own terms.
    This year, one of my goals is to learn basic compass skills, and I might wind up doing a little orienteering to prove out those skills.

28. teb_atoz

Blog Posts:
    I have done a number of caches near vertran memorials and they are very educational, if done right. Once I found Bozo the clowns grave, that was fun.
    If you don't like don't do it. Geocaching can be what you want.

cheers

29. WildMedGuru

WildMedGuru Scout

Blog Posts:
    My reason
    - very much a mix of all the above answers

It was more enjoyable when my daughter was younger.
    We loved the ammo can versions. And like an earlier poster mentioned, we left "nice" trinkets, but often found more and more were filled with TRASH / JUNK.
    Also I hated micros, sorta boring, and they are always in busy areas, not the unforseen or mysterious places like most normal cache locations

Geocaching though has taken me to places i've never seen of even locally.
    Time, fuel and often a waste of what seemed like an entire day did often push us away from wanting to search out more.
    And sometimes the description was so vague, it was hard to tell if it was worth trying for, vs finding yourself in a very lack luster spot that you wasted your day driving just to get to.

Someone mentioned doing it seasonally. Thats the way we pursue it now. Vacations, odd trips to some new area or out of town, or spur of the moment.......but even then we look at the description, photos etc, to see if its something or somewhere interesting to see or visit, and of course always still looking for the infamous ammo can sizes.

AncientNCO likes this.
  30. Bodaway

Bodaway Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Geocaching took us to many places we would have never gone. It's a great way to get outside.

We stoped mainly due to family health issues. We needed to spend our extra time helping family.

We we're getting tired of all the micro caches, people we're into putting up huge numbers of hides and finds by putting one cache ever so many feet so that they spelled out a word on the map when viewed.

Great hobby if you use it to get out and exercise.

31. CHIPPS09

CHIPPS09 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    lol... some one thought it would be funny to stick a stash
    right dab in the middle of a ground hornets nest..
    I was swattin them nasty kritters for about three miles...lol

32. Finner

Finner Scout

Blog Posts:
    First and last. Cache was a rotting fox in a pillow case. I will stick to plain old hiking. Some people should not be allowed to breed....

AncientNCO likes this.