When flying, what do you bring?

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by Vpetrell, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Vpetrell

Vpetrell Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Had to fly out of town for work this weekend. Got me thinking what to bring out of state for gear.

This work trip is is Minneapolis for a few days before heading home. I sell food to schools and restaurants so my gear list as it is for daily work is limited based on restrictions.

I usually have 2 blades and a flashlight on me since I can’t carry a pistol anymore in schools

What do you bring when flying for work?

I didn’t check any bags so I wasn’t able to bring much of anything so I feel very “naked” with out any gear with me

What all do you bring in a carry on when traveling? Looking for open needed answers mostly. Obviously we all follow the law of each city/state we’re in, but I’m sure most of us like to have some sort of gear when traveling

VP

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    THRsucks, Winterhorse and central joe like this.
  2. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Depends on how long you are going to be there, and what you do. A few details might help with answers. joe

blind & lost and Winterhorse like this.
  3. Vpetrell

Blog Posts:

Good call joe

I’ll update for this work trip at least

central joe likes this.
  4. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I only feel non naked when flying with my wife, for some reason TSA has never confiscated her 2 or 3 pairs of metal knitting needles she carries on in her knitting bag of yarn.

5. Vpetrell

Blog Posts:
    I just saw you can bring those on a plane. I think it’s time I take up knitting

VP

6. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    A good set of titanium knitting needles would be useful... :33:

7. Bridgetdaddy

Bridgetdaddy Guide

Blog Posts:
    Most canes are acceptable. I have even seen wooden hiking poles with steel points go through with no hassle.
    I would carry a mini mag flashlight (impact weapon) and a storm whistle.
    Buy an in expensive knife when you get to where you are going. Or buy a good one and mail it home. A Buck 110 folder is available at any Walmart and only $50 or so. Can get cheaper ones at hardware stores.

8. THRsucks

THRsucks Scout

Blog Posts:
    My condolences as far as going to Minneapolis is concerned.

Dont take anything of too much value, very high likelihood you will get robbed. I carry a dummy wallet with an old ID, a few gift cards for quick purchases, and a small amount of cash for bums and or gangsters who wont take no for an answer. These days especially i carry a SOG folding knife money clip, its easier to hold onto for a wallet snatcher but you may not get it on the plane. Buy a bic lighter if you dont have one for fire starting and face punching. Best of luck, stay away from the greyhound station if you can.

9. THRsucks

THRsucks Scout

Blog Posts:
    And dont bother dialing 911 in North Minneapolis, especially from dusk till dawn. You will be wasting your time.

10. EternalLove

EternalLove Guide

Blog Posts:
    Rice crispy treats.

THRsucks and Winterhorse like this.
  11. ezra45

ezra45 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Not much anymore because of the TSA. I buy a knife or decent screwdriver when I get there. I keep a Streamlight flashlight with me. And I leave as soon as I can to get back to a free state. I much prefer to rent and drive nowadays...

ezra

12. batmanacw

batmanacw Guide

Blog Posts:
    I check luggage. Have for the last 19 years. I don't need to feel naked. A few minutes to get my luggage is nothing compared to having to travel without basic survival gear.

13. KittySlayer

KittySlayer Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Air Travel List

CASH!!! It is amazing how many problems you can solve with a $50 bill or two. A ride from somebody, a tip to get that last room in the sold out hotel, a meal for the family...

For on the plane and in the airport:

Just like always... Shelter, Food, Water (don't worry about Fire, the jet fuel will create plenty when the plane crashes).

In addition to your change of clothes, a blanket or coat to keep you warm, wool watch cap is always a great way to add warmth or cover nasty hair. A poncho is a nice way to add some privacy just using it to cover up while napping or resting, use as a groundcloth on a dirty airport floor. Heck, you can stand in the middle of a crowd and wear your poncho while changing your pants and underwear.

Proper footwear that will allow you to walk over shredded metal and fire as well as the dead bodies of the idiots who wore flip flops. (updated my list, Thanks to BoomChakaBowWow)

Have some snacks, particularly something like a few Clif Bars that you can almost make a meal out of. Some cash to buy food is good too.

Of course water. Just take an empty container through security and fill it up once you are through.

Something to pass the time like a real book that does not need power and won't cause the plane to crash if you read it during takeoff with the bonus feature of serving as toilet paper. A flashlight so you can find your way around unfamiliar places or find something you dropped on the floor.

A charger for your phone as you try to rebook your flights, preferably with an extension cord with multiple outlets to share the same outlet (with the person that got there first). The battery pack chargers work well too, mobile and some have a small flashlight.

Hygiene. Some sanitary wipes to wipe down those nasty surfaces (first thing sitting down is wipe armrest, buckle and tray). In addition to the sanitary wipes for nasty stuff, a few paper towels for wiping up messes, some TP as that always seems to disappear when hoards of people are stranded. Soap, a wash cloth and small hand towel for a whore's bath in the sink. Prescription medicines as well as Imodium and Advil.

A shopping lists for things to buy once the plane lands for all those No No items you could not carry on or pack in your checked bag. Hit a convenience store and buy a knife, lighter, local map, restock your food supplies... Just leave the knife and naughty stuff behind or mail home if you overpaid for cheap knife.

Listen to the safety briefing, find the exits, enjoy your trip.

Search the travel websites for the stuff the sheeple recommend packing for airline travel too.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  14. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Sellers, Alabama, in South Montgomery County
    i don't fly often, but when i do, i carry a hickory cane. flying wears me out from anxiety, which makes me tired, which sometimes causes neurological leg weakness, which means i need a cane. crash in the wilderness and survive? probably enough stuff scattered about with which to make do. man, i hate flying ...

15. batmanacw

batmanacw Guide

Blog Posts:
    I fly with a kit similar to this every week.

This is just the cutting tools.

20180430_154741.jpg

Why do people always stress about checked luggage? I can have a good quality kit with me every trip and it only takes a bit of extra time to get my luggage that I have to check anyway.

16. Vpetrell

Blog Posts:

Nice kit. Checked bags are no issue for gear for me. I bring most of my kit with me in a checked bag.

What donut do for carry on only? This was a company trip that didn’t warrant a checked bag so I was limited in what all I could bring

VP

Winterhorse and blind & lost like this.
  17. boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow Guide

Blog Posts:
    Proper footwear and a flashlight.

One time in security line , a lady in strappy high heels gave me crap about being slow unlaceing my boots (I was flying to hunt) I replied in a “event” I’ll be able to walk over shredded metal and fire, and her shoeless body.

I have never gotten a uglier dirty look to match what she gave me.

18. Lichen

Lichen Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Valium (I hate flying).

Winterhorse likes this.
  19. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It's a lot, but look through onebag.com There's not much about survival gear, but it's about survival. A weekend for work is very different than a walking tour of Europe, but there are sound principles involved.

Winterhorse likes this.
  20. rmorgan736

rmorgan736 Scout

Blog Posts:
    if i am going too be at my destination for a while i ship my stuff to myself in advance......and ship it home when i go nothing like having youre tried and trues along with you.

Winterhorse likes this.
  21. Ttom

Ttom Tracker

Blog Posts:
    This, in large quantities, is also the only way i deal with flying, so i actually quite like flying now!

Winterhorse and Lichen like this.
  22. LongChinJon

LongChinJon Scout

Blog Posts:
    @KittySlayer covered the bases pretty well above.
    I like to add a spillproof coffee mug so I don't spill my coffee on the plane (and so I can have more than a Styrofoam cup of it).
    A nesting cup for my Kleen Kanteen or Hydroflask...the Hydroflask is easy to fill on the plane and won't sweat, and the cup keeps my bag open to put it back in easily.
    I've thought about taking a blade off my multi-tool to make it legal.
    A friend has flown internationally with. his Leatherman Raptor. Neither it nor my cheap EMT shears ever got confiscated.

Dust masks. I've also thought about picking up a small carbon monoxide/smoke detector for using in hotels.
    First stop after landing, you can pick up 3 gallons or so of bottled water and some more snacks in case of a snow-in (or a breakdown in your rental), along with whatever else you need.

A good resource for this is Tony Nester's book, Bug-Out Gear for Travellers.

https://www.amazon.com/Gear-Travelers-Practical-Survival-Book-ebook/dp/B00G8KDAC6

Winterhorse likes this.
  23. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don't fly much any more, but when I do...

I carry a slightly modified wooden crook cane. It can be used as a weapon but I now need it to maintain my balance. It's considered a medical device and they CANNOT take it away from you. Just don't try to get a sword cane past security. They WILL send it through X-ray.

I also carry a pocket flashlight. My latest is a Zebralight with a single AA battery. Smaller than a Bic lighter.

Large 34 x 34" bandana.

Kindle e-reader.

Soft flexible slippers with my shoes in my carry-on bag.

Travel pillow from the local Flying-J truck stop.

Dark wrap-around sunglasses like in my avatar pic. These double as a eye shade for sleeping. They also hide my eyes so no one can tell if I'm sleeping or watching other passengers.

If I check my bags, I usually pack a nice Mora knife. If it gets confiscated, I'm not out the cost of a more expensive knife.

Steve

Winterhorse, Lichen and blind & lost like this.
  24. Bridgetdaddy

Bridgetdaddy Guide

Blog Posts:
    No reason to worry about flying. Modern airplanes are very dependable. They will get you all the way to the crash site. Usually about 30 minutes before fire rescue!! :4:

25. Lichen

Lichen Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Getting sucked out of an airplane window is on my bucket list.

THRsucks likes this.
  26. Jean

Jean Guide

Blog Posts:
    Chewing gum.

27. LongChinJon

LongChinJon Scout

Blog Posts:
    Regarding canes, even as a younger guy, I've had no trouble getting a hiking stick on a plane in the US, simply because I wanted one to hike with when I got there. On the other hand, I was encouraged to check it on the way home (from overseas). Funny thing: in Asia, having a walking stick meant I was offered a wheelchair and early boarding, even though I had no limp and carried a backpack!

Oh, and Instant Coffee (Starbucks Via is pretty good), and a Snugpak poncho liner or jungle bag for a good cover-up when sleeping during a layover.

And....some brightly-colored paracord and buckles to make bracelets. They can be fun to give away, can be helpful for making friends or starting conversation, and you can use it to make a clothesline in your hotel room or tie your door shut if you are worried. (If you make a bracelet on the plane, use superglue on the ends....things might not go well for you if you pull out a match and burn the end of the paracord.) ;) :D

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    Bridgetdaddy likes this.