When the elements surprise you

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by SpookyPistolero, Jun 12, 2018.

1. SpookyPistolero

SpookyPistolero Guide

Blog Posts:
    I came across this video the other day and thought it was a great example of how quickly an outing can go from smooth camping to dangerous. Obviously this is a little unique in that it was in winter, but there are so many ways nature can throw us curve balls. What I think is important to take away is that this group was already pretty prepared, already trying to stay on top of the weather, but they were still caught off guard. Luckily everyone got home OK. It certainly underscores the value of carrying to key 'extras' we all discuss.

(I have no connection with this person/channel)

2. camp casey

camp casey Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a great deal of respect for winter born out of mistakes I’ve made, now when I camp in the hard water season, my pulk has the gear it takes to stay awhile, we travel at a reasonable pace and make camp early.
    Good luck.

3. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    When I lived in the mountains of Maine storms would roll in with no warning to speak of. It could be sunny and 75 degrees one minute and an hour later a cloudburst of rain, hail and thunder, would be so intense the temp might drop 30 degrees; you feared either being electrocuted, becoming deathly hypothermic or drowned in a flash flood. An hour later it was hot again and on the other side of the valley the sky might have not even darkened. Weird to say the least but something to always be aware of when hiking out there.

4. ANFwoodsman

ANFwoodsman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I was hiking with a gf in Colorado one summer (Engineer maybe?). I told her we were getting a late start for trying to summit, but she insisted and said she would go w/o me. As we neared the top I could feel the weather moving in and said we REALLY needed to turn around and get to some cover. We had a small argument about it but she reluctantly agreed to turn around.

About 2 minutes later a storm was on us dumping large hail that hurt when it hit you. We took "cover" under a group of trees crouched on one pack with another over our heads as a shield. As the storm got worse we decided to make a break for it.

Running back down the steep trail her feet came out from underneath her and I watched in mixed horror and humor as somehow she managed to do a complete flip / somersault, land on her feet and keep running.

We made it back to the car and waited out the rest of the storm (which didn't last too long). When we got out of the car it looked like snow everywhere. There was inches of hail.

There was another couple on a motorcycle there that we hadn't noticed earlier and they looked pretty shellshocked. We asked if they needed help, but the dude insisted they would be okay. Sliding all over the road as we drove back down I felt like we abandoned them.

After that experience that gf trusted me when it came to my gut feelings about the weather.

5. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Last month I witnessed some insane weather up on a plateau in Utah. Our vacation was predicated by lots of off road driving and this day was no different.

What made it rough was the several days of light rain which seemingly fell on this dirt slick road. Parts were slick but what made the drive memorable was the mountain bikers we encountered.

This POOR guy was pushing his bike through mud for hours. He had been camping at higher altitude when, apparently, 6 inches of snow and two days of HEAVY rain kept this guy and his fiance, I think he said, stuck in place. They had run out of food and were only rescued when a tour of rental vehicles came along later on.

Really showed off how the weather can quickly ruin ones best laid plans.

ANFwoodsman and SpookyPistolero like this.