Where does everybody go shooting?

Discussion in 'New Jersey' started by JerseyJohn, Mar 22, 2014.

1. JerseyJohn

JerseyJohn Scout

I grew up using gravel pits and backyards, but those days seem to be behind us in NJ. I've been using indoor ranges the past few years, first Bob's Little Sport Shop in Glassboro and recently Shooter's in Little Egg, but I want to find an outdoor range to use my rifles, mainly .22s but also a few more potent calibers.

Where do the rest of the jersey folk go? The indoor ranges aren't cheep and 25 yards isn't a challenge with my .22 rifles.

*edit: werds R hard

Haggis likes this.
  2. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

That rednecky area between Baltimore and Philly.
    God it must suck living in a crowded area... If I lived in the house next to mine, over the city line, I could shoot right there. I CAN shoot my longbow in the back yard, and do. I shoot on weekends out on my hunting lease. M,W,F over lunch or after work (or on weekends), I can drive about a mile down the road from where I work on a military base, pay $4, and shoot on a dedicated pistol, rifle, trap, or skeet range.

Thanks for the reminder that I am blessed.

Haggis likes this.
  3. doulos

doulos Supporter Supporter

I'm pretty lucky that I can drive a couple miles and be able to shoot in the desert hills.

IMG00007-20090827-1042.jpg

IMG00013-20090131-1459.jpg

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
    Haggis likes this.
  4. Big_Bush

Big_Bush Banned Member Banned

I've never even shot at an indoor range, but I'd like to someday. I can pretty much drive no more than 10 miles in any direction and shoot. The "local" dirt pit where everyone shoots around here is about 5 miles up the hill. I'm a long way from Jersey though...:)

Haggis likes this.
  5. JerseyJohn

JerseyJohn Scout

Haha I was hoping for more replies from Jersey. The gravel pit was behind my Mom's house but they re-opened it and there are people there now, and they built a horse farm behind my Dad's property right in our line of fire, so we stick to airguns there. Used to be able to go through a brick of .22s any day of the week in either location fifteen years ago. The closest outdoors range is only open to the public on weekends, the rest of the week its law enforcement only. I work in a restaurant, so I always work weekends. Make no mistake, the latest indoor range is nice. It's less than a year old, and the gun store inside is pretty big and well-stocked. I miss blowing up soda cans in a gravel pit with a .22 at 100 yards though.

Haggis likes this.
  6. NVRDONE

NVRDONE Guide Bushclass I

Depending on what I'm shooting I go to one of the WMA's. To go one person in your group has to be a licenced hunter.
    My Dad belongs to Central Jersey Rifle and Pistol in Jackson. The facility is amazing but not cheap so I just go with him as a guest.
    I'm looking into Easton Fish and Game. It's a lot cheaper and about the same ride for me.

Haggis likes this.
  7. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

My community has a really nice outdoor range, including a sporting clays range. Otherwise I drive a few miles out of town and find this:

CaveCanyonPics008_zps38f8408f.jpg

Steve

Haggis likes this.
  8. PutridPile

PutridPile Banned Member Banned

there's an outdoor range only a couple miles down the road from shooters. I'm there all of the time. It's a free outdoor range right at mile marker 7. If your coming from shooters, you'll see a big square wooden sign on your left, and a dirt trail that leads to it. There's an archery spot when you first pull in, then at the back of the lot is the opening to the gun range. You can only shoot shotguns and .22's. There's a spot for throwing clay targets, and 2 benchs that go out to 100 yards for .22's and slugs.
    It can get crowded in great weather and weekend afternoons, so I like to go at odd times, and will often have the place to myself. Fresh snowfall likes to keep most people away as well.
    For anything else, I have a spot in the middle on the pine barrens not too far from there. Can drive in most of the way, only needing to walk a few hundred yds in. THere's a trail with a nice hill, I made a saw horse out of some saplings to sit cans on, etc. If you can find a nice hard to reach spot in the woods, although illegal, people do it all of the time. Hear target practice the whole off seasonhiking around them woods.

ps, if your familiar with Tips hardware on rt. 9, it's the same owners as shooters. They moved the firearm section over there.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
    Haggis likes this.
  9. rtwestra

rtwestra Tracker

Im at the other end of the state from you so we have a little more room with all the farms to shoot, I usually go to the Public Range in Layton, its not too bad just have to pick the right times to go, there also is a skeet range is walpack that is ok too.

Haggis likes this.
  10. JerseyJohn

JerseyJohn Scout

Thanks, I'm very familiar with Tips, I've bought from them a few times, that's why I was so excited when I heard they would be opening Shooter's. They have the best prices in the area, but Tips was always so busy that I couldn't take all the time I wanted to browse and fondle. The new place is so much bigger and they have more people working there. I might head up there later.

Haggis likes this.
  11. mannojimmy

mannojimmy Tinder Gatherer

Have you tried fort dix? Also pa has some nice spots. Lancaster has a rifle range up to 400 yards. Not expensive at all its like 35 $$ for membership.

Haggis likes this.
  12. TommyLateNight

TommyLateNight Tracker

I just go to PA. Family has some land there, so no issues.

Haggis likes this.
  13. rmorgan736

rmorgan736 Scout

sh-- I live in california we dont even say the word shoot here about the only thing they shoot off here is there mouths.........

Haggis likes this.
  14. Prof

Prof Guide Bushclass II

Out at the farm, I can just open the door, steady the barrel against the door frame and fire away. We have coons, coyotes, possums, skunks and groundhogs that provide moving targets.

Haggis likes this.
  15. Roughneck75

Roughneck75 Supporter Supporter

I belong to a sportsman club which is about 40 minutes away. We have 8 outdoor 40yard hand gun ranges with multiple steel shooting targets, an indoor pistol range, trap and skeet range, 100yard rifle range and a huge archery range with 3D targets. I like going on dates they have the 3 gun matches. We do a lot of shooting there. If we go 30 minutes in the opposite direction a friend of mine has a farm we ca plink at. The local indoor ranges charge upwards of $30 an hour, out of the realm for us. JMTC

Haggis likes this.
  16. stevevets

stevevets Tinder Gatherer

Make peace public shooting range.. It's in Hammonton . I think the rd is blueberry rd

Haggis likes this.
  17. george carr

george carr Tracker

southern new jersey, near the piney woods
    South Jersey Shooting Club on Piney Hollow Rd in Winslow

Haggis likes this.
  18. JIMBETHYNAME

JIMBETHYNAME Scout

I dont think you are allowed to think about guns in nj, much less shoot them.

Haggis likes this.
  19. piney

piney Bushwhacker

I belong to Salem Co. Sportsman's Club. Not cheap, but it offers a lot more than just a shooting range.

Haggis likes this.
  20. wingnuts

wingnuts Hunter/Gatherer Provider/Protector Supporter

Me too! Current situation sucks, state ranges allow only .22 rifles and shotgun slugs. Or black powder. No pistols! You might try englishtown, there was range there at one time, not sure it exsists anymore. My best bet is across the boarder in PA

Haggis likes this.
  21. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

I've shot many a fox, coyote, and grouse out my back door,,, only ever shot one deer in the yard though,,,

The road north of me is 1/4 mile away, my neighbor to the west is a mile away, to the south it's 2 1/2 miles to a neighbor, to the east it's 5 miles to a road, then still no neighbors,,,

I mostly just go out and shoot using a tree or pile of dirt as a backstop,,,

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    doulos and JerseyJohn like this.