Where is the Moisture?

Discussion in 'New Mexico' started by redneckron, Jan 4, 2018.

1. redneckron

redneckron Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My Fellow Bushcrafters, You fairly well know that the last measurable rain we had around Rio Rancho/Albuquerque area was Oct 5. There have been other parts of New Mexico that has got some moisture but am unsure how much or even it is going to amount up to much. I do know one thing this not good for us outdoor nuts because shut downs on National Forest and Bureau Land Management are probably not far away. The west is found on drought and has guided all that has lived here for centuries. Please take when your out.

Redneck Ron

2. NM_Coyote

NM_Coyote Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I know that Santa Fe ski area was saying that they had gotten about 6 inches of snow all winter. This could be a bad fire season if we don't get some spring snows.

Coyote Ron

Winterhorse and central joe like this.
  3. NM_Coyote

Blog Posts:
    This morning we received the first measurable rain here in several months.

Currently weather.com is projecting 80% probability for precip in Tijeras on Wed. :51:

Coyote Ron

Winterhorse and central joe like this.
  4. NM_Coyote

Blog Posts:
    It's RAINING! It's RAINING!

Not exactly the snow I was hoping to wake up to, I'll take it!

Coyote Ron

Kreger and central joe like this.
  5. kid_couteau

kid_couteau Warrior Poet at Heart Supporter

Blog Posts:
    We got 18 inches of SNOW a couple days ago
    Maybe that is where it is.

Kreger, NM_Coyote and central joe like this.
  6. Wasp

Wasp We are GO for Sting! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I think its all in California since they are having mud slides.

NM_Coyote likes this.
  7. NM_Coyote

Blog Posts:
    BTW, We got 3" of snow last night. Hoping they got a lot more in the higher altitudes.

Coyote Ron

Kreger and redneckron like this.
  8. redneckron

Blog Posts:
    La cueva has around 8 inches

NM_Coyote likes this.
  9. redneckron

Blog Posts:
  10. NM_Coyote

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, it's coming. No matter how much moisture we get going forward. Everything is too far behind.

That said we did get snow here last night and more predicted for Thursday. I hope they got a lot more up high.

Coyote Ron

11. Zunga

Zunga Guide

Blog Posts:
    I think we have all your water. The yard is soupy. The lake is getting mighty close to the road. If I could afford the shipping. I'd send you all you could want. Got my fingers crossed for rain down there. Id happily trade you for some sun.
    Cheers
    Jim

Kreger and NM_Coyote like this.
  12. NM_Coyote

Blog Posts:
    Thanks.
    I think the weather has been crazy all over. I wish we could afford shipping to take advantage of your rain GAW too.

Some places have earthquakes, some tornados, some massive blizzards, others get hurricanes. The desert gets drought. Most people shrug their shoulders and say, that's just the desert. That is as long as water comes out when they turn on the tap.

Our mountain forests however are very vulnerable and hard to recover (not to mention the houses that are built in many densely forested areas.). Better management practices over the last few decades have helped. (Controlled burns and other fuel reduction strategies.) Many of our forests are still overgrown due to 100% suppression practices before the role of fire was understood. When a dry year comes along with high wind we can have massive fires.

The longer term thing that even most southwest desert dwellers don't fully grasp is how vulnerable we are for fresh water availability.

In answer to the original question by @redneckron one place the moisture is not is Capetown South Africa:
    https://www.vox.com/world/2018/2/9/16964416/cape-town-water-crisis-day-zero-south-africa

This could be a number of US desert southwest cities more easily than people know. I have to say that's my idea of what the "desert apocalypse" as opposed to zombies. Imagine millions of crazed city dwellers aimlessly wandering the streets (with lolling tongues and bloodshot eyes) carrying an empty Fiji bottle. :eek:

Coyote Ron

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    rattleweed, redneckron and Zunga like this.
  13. Zunga

Zunga Guide

Blog Posts:
    I think we're luckier when it comes to management and using newer knowledge. Until recently (30 years) small population and lots of water. Knowledge kept up with population growth. Last summer water sources were in very good shape. Still had water restriction as scheduled. Likewise lessons learned from deforresting a hill. All that rain your asking for a mud slide. Most of the province is Forrest. So management burns would difficult. That said last year was a really bad fire season.

NM_Coyote likes this.
  14. NM_Coyote

Blog Posts:
    redneckron likes this.
  15. redneckron

Blog Posts:
    The warning signs are starting and to give everyone a fair warning..

[​IMG]

Guillaume Longval and NM_Coyote like this.
  16. NM_Coyote

Blog Posts:
    Rats! There goes a favorite past-time around most of the gatherings I've been to!

Coyote Ron

redneckron likes this.
  17. redneckron

Blog Posts:
  18. NM_Coyote

Blog Posts:
    And, so it begins....:(

Coyote Ron

19. redneckron

Blog Posts:
    I could be wrong about his but there 4 fires in New Mexico happening right now (note one moved into Texas).

20. NM_Coyote

Blog Posts:
    The deciding factor this year will be the winds. We already have the dry conditions. When those are coupled with the winds the combination is explosive.

redneckron likes this.
  21. redneckron

Blog Posts:
    Your absolutely right

22. redneckron

Blog Posts:
    I have been hearing some for the forest are in Level 2 fire restrictions...

NM_Coyote likes this.
  23. NM_Coyote

Blog Posts:
    I'm working on a class final project for a Data Science programming class where the topic I chose is to produce a program that creates a graphic correlating annual rainfall of a specific geographic region (I chose mountains near Santa Fe) with forest fire activity. I am a long way from completing the project (due in 3 weeks). But I am far enough along to be able to pull data streams for any location for historical monthly rainfall (and snowpack) from 1960s to 2018.

The data is frightening! We have received less that 1/3 the average for that one region this moisture-year (Oct-Sept). Other areas of the state are in the same shape. When I get the graphic done I will post it in this thread. But so far just looking at the numbers is eye-opening.

June is likely going to be rough.

Coyote Ron

Swarvegorilla likes this.
  24. redneckron

Blog Posts:
    I just got word-Stage 3 fire restrictions are happening next week and that is a forest shutdown

25. NM_Coyote

Blog Posts:
    For which forest?

Coyote Ron

26. redneckron

Blog Posts:
    One of the Cibola Ranger districts

27. chndlr04

chndlr04 Scout

Blog Posts:
    take the humidity from here(Va), you can have it!

28. Lichen

Lichen Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    It's been 65 days here without rain. It's going to be a rough summer.

NM_Coyote and redneckron like this.
  29. redneckron

Blog Posts:
    I know that the Mt Taylor Ranger district of the Cibola National Forest is going into a Stage 3 on May 21. I was going to attend an OHV event in Grants New Mexico on June 8. 9 and 10. The event was canceled by the Stage 3 fire restriction (shutting down the forest) starting May 21. https://www.nmohva.org/news-issues/125 I got the brush off from a phone call I made to the Cibola National Forest Headquarters in Albuquerque to find out if other forest were going into higher fire restrictions. . The answer I got is that USFS hasn't made their decision yet. I wouldn't expect any less but would hope for better. The fire season is upon us and it looks uglier than normal!!!

30. redneckron

Blog Posts:
    United States Department of the Interior BUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT Albuquerque District Office 100 Sun Ave NE, Suite 330 Albuquerque, NM 87109

FIRE PREVENTION ORDER # NM-010-18-03

Pursuant to 43 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 9212.2, the following acts are prohibited on Bureau of Land Management (BLM) administered land within the Albuquerque District area of New Mexico. This includes BLM administered public land in Bernalillo, Catron, Cibola, McKinley, Sandoval, Socorro, Torrance and Valencia Counties, New Mexico. This restriction includes the Albuquerque District encompassing Rio Puerco Field Office and Socorro Field Office. This order shall go into effect at 12:01 a.m., May 11, 2018 and will remain in effect until rescinded.

PROHIBITED ACTS:

1. Building, maintaining, attending, or using a fire, campfire, charcoal, coal, or wood stove except for: inside established campfire rings and grills within Datil Well and Joe Skeen Campgrounds; 36 CFR 261.52(a). Exceptions: The use of petroleum-fueled stoves, lanterns or heating devices are allowed provided such devices meet the fire underwriter’s specifications for safety and they are used in areas free of flammable materials.. 2. Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site/improved site or while stopped in an area at least three feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable materials; 36 CFR 261.52(d). 3. The use/discharge of explosives of any kind, incendiary or chemical devices, pyrotechnic devices, fireworks, or exploding targets; 36 CFR 261.52(f).

4. Cutting or grinding metal, or using a welder, either arc or gas, or operating acetylene or other torch with open flame, except in areas cleared of flammable materials at least 10 feet in diameter and equipped with a chemical pressurized fire extinguisher of not less than 8 ounces, and one round point shovel with an overall length of at least 36 inches; 36 CFR 261.52(i).

5. Operating a chainsaw or any other internal or external combustion engine without a USDA or SAE approved spark arrester properly installed and working, a chemical pressurized fire extinguisher of not less than 8 ounces capacity by weight, and one round point shovel with an overall length of at least 36 inches; 36 CFR 261.52(j).

6. Possessing or using a motor vehicle off roads, except when parking in an area devoid of vegetation within 10 feet of the roadway; 36 CFR 261.56.

EXEMPTED:

Pursuant to 43 CFR 9212.2(a), the following persons are exempt from this order:

1. Any federal, state, local and/or military employee acting within the scope of their duties. 2. Members of any organized rescue or firefighting force performing official duty.

3. Persons, agencies, municipalities or companies with a written permit that specifically authorizes the otherwise prohibited act. An exemption does not absolve an individual or organization from liability or responsibility for any fire started by an exempted activity.

PENALTIES: Pursuant to Title 43 CFR §9212.4, any violation of this order is subject to punishment by a fine of not more than $1,000 or imprisonment of not more than 12 months or both. Restitution for total costs of fire suppression or damage will be borne by the violator.

Information regarding these fire restrictions may be obtained by calling the Albuquerque District Office at (505)761-8700. Dated this 09th day of May, 2018, at Albuquerque, New Mexico. \s\ Danita Burns_____ _______________________________ Albuquerque District Manager Albuquerque District Office USDI Bureau of Land Managemen

31. Kimber22

Kimber22 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don't understand most of that BUT it does not look good!

32. redneckron

Blog Posts:
    It just means increasing restrictions for the BLM/USFS lands (to be honest, everywhere) and to be wary of them.. It is not good but that is the history of the west do to lack of moisture.

Last edited: May 20, 2018 at 6:54 AM