where to camp ?

Discussion in 'Arkansas' started by Lg&m, May 24, 2012.

1. Lg&m

Lg&m Scout

Blog Posts:
    The wife & I are thinking of going to Arkansas in July. Any suggestions? We live in Nebraska. Some place for a pop up / tent. Hiking sightseeing. How hot will it be? Thanks

2. StoneHopper

StoneHopper Scout

Blog Posts:
    July will be HOT this year. We have already hit upper 90's. Plenty of places to camp esp in the western side of the state.

3. swamprat

swamprat Guide

Blog Posts:
    There good places around the Buffalo River and through out the Ozark National Forest. Try going online and look for designated campgrounds. But you will have more privacy if you download or order a good map of the Nat. Forest. Try to find places near a stream or river to get a chance to cool down. The temps will be in the high 90s and might get higher.

4. Lg&m

Lg&m Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the help. Here is where we are thinking of going.
    http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/devilsden/
    Plan is camping ,hiking geocaching, having fun. and of course bushcrafting practice. Might bring my kayak also.

5. Scooter

Scooter Scout

Blog Posts:
    Devils Den is nice and there are alot of Geocaches from the Missouri line through to Fort Smith. Another area that I enjoy is White Rock mountain which is a little East of there. The new Park at Lake Fort Smith is also a nice camp. But I agree with Swamprat about the Buffalo River it is my favorite area to explore and offers every thing from primitive camping to modern cabins along its length.

6. mpeace13

mpeace13 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I live about 30 minutes from devil's den and it's one of my favorites for short trips. Check the event calendar cause they usually have some interesting stuff going on. There's plenty of designated campsites if thats your thing. Some of the trails also go into the national forest where you have a little more freedom with where you camp. Not really that great for kayaking though since the creek is usually too low and the dammed area is just a big still body.

I highly recommend the Buffalo though. That time of year the eastern end of the river will be best for floating but the west end is by far the prettiest.

7. ozrkmtnman

ozrkmtnman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Put in below Norfork Dam (White R.) and float down to the mouth of the Buffalo. On both sides of the Buffalo are thousands of acres of primitive land: the Ozark National Forest and the Leatherwood Wilderness. You will probably want to camp relatively close to the river, as there is very little water in the creeks this time of the year. Great smallmouth fishing on the Buffalo, and excellent trout fishing on the White.

8. ozrkmtnman

ozrkmtnman Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm sorry- you said for a pop-up tent (just flew over my head). There are several campgrounds in that area. Blanchard Caverns (ONF) presents two different tours of a absolutely beautiful cave system, and there is a campground there with a nice swimming hole. Some hiking trails, and close to Mountain View, a popular tourist area with several shows including the Passion Play and Arkansas Traveler Theater. Close enough to take a float on the Buffalo.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  9. Lg&m

Lg&m Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks to all for the help. What do you think the temp will be like? Here in Nebraska in July it will be about 90+ and humid. We would like to get away from the heat a little but I don't think that will be possible.

10. StoneHopper

StoneHopper Scout

Blog Posts:
    May be a little bit harder in Ark. but humidity will probably be what you are used to. The valleys near creeks and rivers are a little cooler though.

11. Lg&m

Lg&m Scout

Blog Posts:
    We just got back from our trip. Thanks for all the help. It was hot and with the burn ban no fires. Not that we needed one in the heat. We were all over the NW part of the state beautiful parks and nice people.

12. whitewater4x4

whitewater4x4 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Did you manage to get up on Mt Magazine? The highest point in AR . The temps there are usually 10 degrees cooler than down the hill .
    Glad you seemed to enjoy visiting my state. Hope you can make it back sometime .