Where to find inexpensive leather boots?

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by badgerthehobo, Oct 20, 2018.

1. badgerthehobo

badgerthehobo Scout

Blog Posts:
    So I’ve got an extremely limited budget, but am in desperate need of a new pair of work/woods boots. I’m not at all a fan of the goretex boots I can find, but there’s no way I can swing $200+ on a nice pair. I’d be terrified to ever wear them for fear of ruining them. I used to wear Doc Marten 1461’s, but my last pair fell apart in months, when the ones I had before had lasted me around 10 years. So I’m not going the Doc route again. Where can I find leather boots in a similar style, with a low heel and grippy sole, but mostly just thin leather upper, for around $80?

J. Pierce likes this.
  2. J. Pierce

J. Pierce Perpetually Off Topic, Sorry. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It can take some time and a few stops to find them, but thrift store hunting might turn up a really good deal for you.

3. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    What size are you?

badgerthehobo likes this.
  4. Gruntinhusaybah

Gruntinhusaybah Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    With that budget your only option is thrift stores.
    You can’t even buy the materials to make a pair of leather boots with $80

5. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Carolina 6" plain toe $89.00. Good boot for general woods bumming. CA3026-500x351.jpg

6. Torrin

Torrin Pan

Blog Posts:
    Walmart....? May be the only place.
    Screenshot_20181026-091622_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20181026-091644_Samsung Internet.jpg
    I haven't used any of these but they should be decent for the price.

7. Terasec

Terasec Guide

Blog Posts:
    depends on what you consider work/woods boots,
    work boots are pretty specific and not very good for hiking and such, they work but not the best for distance
    as for price, don't get so wrapped up that more expensive is better, my current favorite boot are a $50 pair of Columbia leather boots, which I bought at clearance.
    my least favorite are my redwings $150 made in US leather work boots, uncomfortable as heck, been over a year and still hard and stiff
    $40 Walmart boots have served me well, they just don't last very long,
    whats more important than price is proper fit, a properly fitted low price boot will be more enjoyable than an expensive boot that just doesn't fit quite right.

8. hillst1

hillst1 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have had good luck with Caterpillar Second Shift work boots at around $75.

9. desertdog

desertdog Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Are you near a Cabela’s store? I found a $200+ pair of boots in the clearance section for cheap. Might be worth a look.

10. ANFwoodsman

ANFwoodsman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @badgerthehobo Cabelas has their Iron Ridge boot on sale now for 79-89 with free shipping. I've never owned a pair, but could be an option.

Mr. Tettnanger and badgerthehobo like this.
  11. dirt7

dirt7 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Do you have any of those factory seconds stores where you live? I am thinking of places like Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Gabes.

12. AdamD1776

AdamD1776 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have had luck with ebay, just be careful with sizing, as you can't try them on first

13. RiceOnSuede

RiceOnSuede Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Old timer once said, you spend the most money on your boots and your bed because you spend the majority of your time in them.
    My day job, with the chemicals I work with, just eats up clothing and footwear. I tried the cheap walmart boot option many times and regretted it so much each time. At the end of the day, even after being broken in to the point theyre falling apart, my feet and back would be killing me. Pain that stopped everytime i switched back to decent footwear.

Mr. Tettnanger and badgerthehobo like this.
  14. badgerthehobo

badgerthehobo Scout

Blog Posts:
    Usually an 11

I’m with you. I deal with chemicals too, though probably not as harsh as you. Pool chems eat clothes like you wouldn’t believe. But for footwear I usually get away with the cheapo rubber slide on flip flops from cvs. Only thing I can wear all day without setting off the neuromas in my feet

15. field-expedient

field-expedient Misfit Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Surplus GI combat boots

Outdoor Dauber likes this.
  16. Metaldog

Metaldog Scout

Blog Posts:
  17. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Size 11...dang. I've outgrown a few pair of good size 10's that are just sitting here. Good luck with your search.

Outdoor Dauber likes this.
  18. Andy 315

Andy 315 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Some options on shopgoodwill.com . Pretty easy to set up an account with them.

19. Stophel

Stophel Scout

Blog Posts:
    good boots cost money. I wear Thorogood work boots all day EVERY day. I got two years out of my previous pair before wearing a hole in the sides by my little toes (I need to patch those). The soles are still amazingly good. I've never had soles last as long as these. Unfortunately, Thorogood discontinued the standard heel soles and they're going to all wedge soles... :( I don't like wedge soles! But, a few months ago, I did manage to stumble on someone who had some of the old style left in stock in my size even! So I got two pair for 60 some odd dollars each! I should have gotten more! They're all gone now, though... I'll have to go back to Chippewa if Thorogood doesn't start making regular heels again.

Thorogood and Chippewa boots are around $160 a pair now. But they both will last literally for years, so it's not that huge of an expense.

Still can't swing that price? Go ebay, my friend.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...c=0&_udhi=150&_osacat=0&_odkw=Altama+boots+11

These are the boots I wear in the woods.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/CHIPPEWA-C...SPSPriorityFlatRateBox!42220!US!-1:rk:25:pf:0

78 bucks is a good deal on a good pair of plain, simple, comfortable, old fashioned American made boots. ;)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  20. stillscout

stillscout Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  21. reppans

reppans Scout

Blog Posts:
    Got an REI near you? Hit one of their monthly garage sales, I'm amazed at the deals you find there.

22. squiddley

squiddley Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    +1 on military surplus,I have bought quite a few for 50 dollars or under. Check EBay

23. Cheapeats

Cheapeats Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have had lousy luck with walmart boots the #1 problem has been the soles cracking at the flex point 6 months wear tops, one of my coworkers said what is the difference 4 $50 boots in 2 years or one $200 pair.

24. cbrianroll

cbrianroll Professional Tinkerer Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's a tough price range, especially since even good botos are made horribly. I've bern a fan of Solomon hiking boots, super comfy, lapdgear.com? I think has some good sales on certain sizes, rei, cables etc clearances are great also. If I'm buying new all leather I generally get danner mountain lights...350. Ish, but last forever.thorogoods are on my try list, supposed to be a redwings knockoff, easier break in, more pop adding and cheaper...cant remember the price though, thinking 200 ish. I'm a 10 ish so can't help you out there either....

25. Traz

Traz Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I found a brand new pair of Danner for $25 at Goodwill. Best fitting boot I've ever worn. Also got a pair of Danner Desert Hiker at a flea market for $45.
    What size do you wear?

26. zerk

zerk Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I don't buy in that price range, but I do like gortex work boots. For myself I prefer composite toe in the winter. Though in your price range might be an issue. I pretty much only buy composite. Steel if I know for sure it is only summer. I have summer and insulated for winter.

I'd probably just go walmart if you need right away. Used could take awhile. Personally I'd try saving up to atleast get in the low-mid 100s. I think that will open up a lot more options for you. But I realize it is easy to spend other peoples money. But most people usually have crap then can do it without, in order to help them make a living.

Good boots and good socks, are a must for me. I also change out the inserts.

Does your employer cover any of it?

27. jkfisher84

jkfisher84 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Survivor boots from walmart. Think they are like 50 bucks. The short cut ones are waterproof, safety toe, ..mine are going on 2 years and the soles are really holding up. I wear them almost every day. Just some leather wore off on the safety toe but whatevs

28. SilverFox

SilverFox Scout

Blog Posts:
    Check these out: https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...aterproof-lace-to-toe-hunting-boots?a=2184847
    I have a pair that is about 2 years old, that still look brand new. Note I don't wear these everyday. I rotate them and wear them every other day as I have feet issues ie sweaty feet. So I wear one pair one day and then a different pair so they dry out real good. If you are not in a hurry, keep an eye out and they will go on sale. I got mine for around $80.00..