Where to go?

Discussion in 'Louisiana' started by WillowCreek, Mar 6, 2012.

1. WillowCreek

WillowCreek Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I am new to all things outdoor, just recently got into bush-crafting. I live in an apartment building and am trying to locate local places to practice and camp. I live in Lafayette near the University. The closest state parks are several hours away and unable to go. Does anyone know of any places close by my area?

Appreciate any and all help.

2. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    hey, and welcome, from Beauregard Parish. We're having a gathering the weekend of 20-22 April (Fri-Sun) up in the Kisatchie Hills Wilderness Area of the Kisatchie National Forest (about 10 miles south of Natchitoches).

Local areas... don't know any off hand... but a quick google map recon shows several parks Northeast of the university, inside Lafayette. Thistlethwaite (sp?) WMA is about 15 miles north. Sherburne WMA is 15 miles due East on HWY 10.

Any professors you're particularly close to (like if you're a master's candidate) who have a yard you could use?

3. WillowCreek

WillowCreek Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the info, I am thinking about coming just have to work out some logistics.

I checked out Thistlethwaite, but from what I could find out camping is not allowed but it looks like it is available at the Sherburne location.

Thanks again for the info.

4. Mississippi Rob

Mississippi Rob Scout

Blog Posts:
    Lake Fausse St. Park is close to you, 3 miles of "back country" trails with designated camping spots. Also have front country camping.

http://www.crt.state.la.us/parks/ilakefaus.aspx

Another close park is Chicot State Park with 20 miles of trail with designated camping spots around it, as well as front country camping.

http://www.crt.state.la.us/parks/ichicot.aspx

I would suggest you visit Pack -N- Paddle on Pinhook Road. They have trail maps (free) and will answer your questions on the local places to get outdoors.