Where's a good spot?

Discussion in 'Mississippi' started by Sittingbear, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Sittingbear

Sittingbear Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hey yall, I'm lookin for a good spot with the least amount of underbrush like down where I live near Biloxi for a novice to start with. Id like to try my hand at building a base camp shelter(btw, which wood is best for shelter?). I live in Biloxi and am comfortable right now 5 hrs out. I also need a route with gas stations as I have a Titan 5.6. I'm not lookin to hunt or fish because I only have a saltwater license. I don't want to have to travel 4 or more clicks. I need a source of water. Please inform me also as to which is the best time of the year to go say when the bugs aren't out as much. Also if there's wildlife I need to know about or dangerous plants and such. If there's no place in Mississippi and I have to go out of state please let me know of any laws or bans.

Thanks.

Paul Foreman likes this.
  2. rcwells

rcwells Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Near Wiggins, MS is Black Creek Wilderness area. You can find information online about it. The Black Creek runs through the area there and it has I believe a 10 mile walking trail through it as well. Approximately 5,000 acres if I recall correctly. Total wilderness area, no powered vehicles of any kind allowed. No power tools allowed. Trail is maintained once a year by a crew that only uses hand tools.
    Bugs? Of course. You’re in South MS buddy so you can expect them up until late Fall I would imagine. Bug spray is an option of course. Snakes would also be a concern, so a raised bed, tent, or hammock would be sleeping arrangements to consider.
    As for building semi or permanent shelters I don’t think you’re supposed to leave any trace. That said, I guess you could do so as long as live wood is not harvested and you take the shelter back apart and leave it in a state so that it doesn’t appear you were ever there.
    Fires can be made but proper fire setup and precautions would of course be paramount.

I have been wanting to overnight out there since I discovered it existed last year but haven’t been able to make the time yet. Perhaps this Fall.

Feel free to pm me to discuss possibility of an excursion.
    RC

3. lighterknot

lighterknot Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Hard to find a good spot down there unless you know people with land. I'm originally from St. Martin but I live in Natchez now. I used to go to stone county lattimer and around the river. If you're ever around Natchez pm me

4. SouthernJourneyman

SouthernJourneyman Bushwalker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Getting hard to find places anywhere in this state unless you know land owners. You can check out the wildlife management areas, not sure what's down your way though, and you may want to wait until after hunting season is over. Not everyone likes to find out what they're shooting at first.

As for wildlife, the biggest worry is venomous snakes. Gators mostly keep to themselves unless you bother the nest. Plants, there's plenty of poison ivy/oak/ sumac to be found throughout the area. Not sure if there is anything else down that way to worry about.