Which Buck?

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Poeschel, May 14, 2018.

1. Poeschel

Poeschel Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ok here we go again. I’ve been bitten by the Buck bug for about the 10th time. Currently only have a custom 110 and a standard 102 which has become my go to knife for fish and game. I’m starting to consider a 105 and a 103, both of which I’ve owned in the past and now regret getting rid of. Anyone using a 105. I’m petty set on getting the 103 as a companion knife for skinning whitetail. Just not sure if the 105 will really add much over the 102. Although as inexpensive as they are ill probably end up with one anyway.
    Most YouTube reviews I’ve found tend to be table tops of people who inherited the knife and don’t seem to be much of a user. Thoughts?

2. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Guide

Blog Posts:
    When it comes to Buck knives, I have admired @LostViking collection. I bet he has a good opinion based on experience.

3. Crusher0032

Crusher0032 Appalachian Arthfael Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If you're asking about buying another Buck knife, the answer is yes. All of those mentioned are great knives that will stand up to many years of use. A 119 is another fine knife not mentioned in your list. Really any one of those will do everything the others will, it just depends on whether you want more of a Skinner or general purpose type blade.

GreyOne likes this.
  4. mosinjoe

mosinjoe Scout

Blog Posts:
    +1 on the 119. Love mine to bits and it's a bodacious hunk of Buck steel. Rides well on my hip and not heavy for its size. Takes and holds a wicked edge.

roadwarrior and Line Dawg like this.
  5. ozarkhunter

ozarkhunter Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've always liked the looks of the Vanguard 692.

6. LostViking

LostViking Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sorry, I'm a bit late to this party.

The "Buck Bug" seems to be a recurring illness with me as well. It attacks, messes with you and then retreats. Then it lays dormant. Sometimes for years. Then suddenly something triggers a relapse and the fever returns with a vengeance.

As you point out. The economy of it makes It manageable. Well sort of.

I don't own an actual 103 Skinner. But I think it would pair up very well with the 102. My woodsman has been a great companion for me for many years. As I like to point out. Before I arrived here and at Blade and subsequently lost my mind. My 102 Woodsman was basically my sole belt knife. And we had a happy life together. It is still one of my favorites.

My 102 Woodsman ripping out some feather sticks,
    [​IMG]

I have a 105 Pathfinder. I like that one too. But I bought it before the 117 Small Special arrived on the scene. If I had a time machine. I would go back and Buy the 103 instead of the 105. Partially because I just really want to try the 103. Part because I really like the 117 SS.

My Pathfinder earning its keep,
    [​IMG]

To muddy the waters even further. Have you looked at the 118 Personal. Supposedly Mr. Buck's personal favorite.

Make no mistake the 105 is a very nice knife. But since you already have the 102 Woodsman. I'd lean towards another 103. Especially when you mention Whitetails.

The 117 Small Special is everything the the 102 is only upsized. I really think Buck hit the sweet spot with this one. A little larger than the 102, but smaller and more manageable than th 119 Special.

Top to bottom. 119, 117, 102.
    [​IMG]

Part of the problem. If you can call it that. Is that the Buck do overlap. They actually do it quite well. I don't know if that is really a problem. But it does make choosing more difficult.

This is the second thread this week that has me wanting a 103 Skinner. I really think that would make a great general purpose Belt Knife.
    I actually have a modified 103 made into a clip point. I cal, it. The Ugly Buckling" I want to try one in it's original form.

The 103, 105, &117 SS and I believe the 118 all have the same larger handle than the 102.

I'll try and get a shot ot my CP 103 up in a day or three.

I realize that probably didn't help you cause much. But the truth is. I don't think you can go wrong. But if you are processing a lot of venison the 103 and the 118 would be in the lead.

I also have a Buck Ergo Hunter. But that's another post/thread.

7. darodalaf

darodalaf Guide

Blog Posts:
    Buck is my absolute favorite American knife maker. I only have a 110 and an 055, but looking at these pics makes me wannt to pick up a fixed blade, too.

8. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a new Buck 119, a 110 50th Anniv., and my fathers vintage, circa 1977 121 Fisherman. The steel sure was harder back then in the old Bucks, i tell ya that! But that 121... man oh man.. a wonderful filleting, slicing, deboning knife if ever I've used one.

Pretty much, not sure Buck makes any *bad* knives...especially the fixed blades. Still eyeballing a Bucklite Max 673 small.

9. Poeschel

Poeschel Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the responses. Just when you think you know what you want, along comes a Viking to muddy the waters. Lostviking, can you comment on the sheath for the 117? Some reviews state it’s a 105 sheath and doesn’t fit all that well. I’m definitely interested in the 117 and now the 118. Ugh....

LostViking and Crusher0032 like this.
  10. mosinjoe

mosinjoe Scout

Blog Posts:
    The 117 will most definitely scratch someones itch. But I digress.. I have the 119 and just love that blade. I've looked past Bucks for quite some time and recently bought the 119 a few months back. After getting the edge to my liking and using it a bit, I found that it is quite a knife and a very effective user for just about any task one could encounter. That 117 is sweet, though.

11. rmorgan736

rmorgan736 Scout

Blog Posts:
    just got my son the new 101 fixt blade it is like the 110 only a fixt blade.and it is sweet not too big not too small.........................

12. Crusher0032

Crusher0032 Appalachian Arthfael Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Go the custom shop and order an ironwood 119 with a satin s30v blade so we can all drool over it. I think that'll solve your problems :D

Mr. Tettnanger likes this.
  13. roadwarrior

roadwarrior Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I have to say that any of them will help fuel your fire for more Buck knives. I have made it a point to buy every model of Buck that I can.

Mr. Tettnanger likes this.
  14. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've been eyeing the 124 Frontiersman for over a year. I'm hoping I'll be able to pull the trigger on one before Christmas this year... before they're gone!

Bucks have always been the 'Standard' for me. They're a basic but great quality production blade at a very reasonable price. I think the buyer gets quality that far exceeds the price.

Steve

15. roadwarrior

Blog Posts:
    fullsizeoutput_1d5.jpeg As I was saying any of them will do to fuel the fire. I also like folding hunters and Jacks

16. LostViking

Blog Posts:
    Noice, Noice!!

17. LostViking

Blog Posts:
    I think you are correct. I believe the 117 resides in a 105 Sheath. I didn't see any issues with it though. At least not any more than with any other Buck sheaths. They are adequate, but that's about it.

A small length of para in the bottom stops the rattle.

18. Robert Highhawk

Robert Highhawk Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like you got what you need. Unless you do an awful lot of skinning I wouldn't get a knife designed just for skinning.

19. roadwarrior

Blog Posts:
    I can't decide if I like the 105 or the 117 better. My favorite are my 2 first Bucks, the 118 and the 120. My Grandfather 2 Uncles and the man who had a display at Great World in Simsbury CT are to blame for my problem.

20. DCPugh

DCPugh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I also suggest the 119, it is a fine blade and is very useful. Now this thread is making me want another buck.

roadwarrior likes this.
  21. funkja

funkja Scout

Blog Posts:
    124 Frontiersman or go all out and get a Buck 640XL.... and then use it. 6 employees have worked for buck for 40+ years. it's based on the frontiersman model and they're making 259 of them (collective number of years the 6 dudes have been with the company).

Swampdog likes this.