Which Bushcraft tarp?

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by tomykay12, Jun 11, 2018.

1. tomykay12

tomykay12 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    As mentioned in the "hacking the Base Camp 6" thread here, I'm putting together an awning rig over my Base camp 6. This will be mostly for sun protection, but we do get occasional monsoon type conditions here in so cal. Do I really need silnylon?
    I'm feeling the Coyote 10x12 non silnylon would save some bux, mostly cover the tent, and give a good awning/front porch type of thing. The tarp will be rigged on a ridgeline supported by two guyed out poles over the tent at the rear, and two shorter poles at the awning end. I have adequate stakes. Cooperative trees are encouraged to participate. A luxurious setup with a queen size mattress created by two Lightspeed flex self inflating pads. Definitely not packable.
    Thanks for any input. Creating this setup is what drew me to this fine forum. tk

2. Haggis

Haggis Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have 2 10'x12' tarps: a 1.1 sylnylon from Cooke Custom Sewing, and another, 1.9, from Kondos Outdoors. The CCS cost more than twice the KO version, but they were bought for different purposes. The cheaper version I use around camps where I'll have my 7 Grandsons; they could break a new anvil. Either of these tarp sources, I believe, will customize your tarp to suit your needs,,,

3. xnrgx

xnrgx Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have many many tarps. All depends on how much you want to spend. I think (depending on how close to a fire source, a canvas / boiled linseed oiled tarp is nice. Get the canvas at a paint supply store. It’s a fun project too. My favorite two tarps are (if back weight is not an issue) aquaquest defender (this is heavy and very strong) then next is dd hammocks tarp line (various sizes and polyester ...heavy and strong)...I have many silnylon for packing (all are nice bushcraft outfitters, bearpaw wilderness design, MLD, and cheaper ones... light but less sturdy...). I would not use silnylon if not worried about weight...

Again the canvas / boiled linseed oil was a fun project but it’s not a good tarp near the fire....just a cheap plastic tarp for ace hardware should not be overlooked too... can get them in green.

Haggis likes this.
  4. tomykay12

tomykay12 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for some other options; I'll look into DD and Aquaquest. Weight is not so much an issue, but I don't think I want a big, heavy piece of canvas. I may try an initial setup with a 10x12 cheapo and see how it goes. My poles are made and ready to go. best, tk

GoFeesh and Haggis like this.
  5. ra2bach

ra2bach Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    the Kelty Noah tarp is your best bet and value. it is inexpensive, well made, durable, and very versatile with several configuration options. a 12x12 or 16x16 is fantastic for area coverage of more than 2 or 3 people...

AK Adventurer and Haggis like this.
  6. tomykay12

tomykay12 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have a 12x12 Noah, but don't think the shape is right for my intended purpose here. I'm envisioning and extremely off center A- frame with the ridge line perpendicular to the base camp 6 orientation.. The shorter steeper side angles toward the rear of the tent, the longer side slopes out to two shorter poles creating an awning effect. Noah pitches traditionally over the dining area. Should be a cool campsite. That's the theory anyway...

ra2bach likes this.
  7. Self Reliantist

Self Reliantist Guide

Blog Posts:
    Off Topic
    @Haggis :
    Thank-You for using the full term before dropping to abbreviated acronyms!
    Doing thus is a great help to those of us that are not knowing 20K different permutations.
    Back To Topic

Norm

AK Adventurer likes this.