Who carries binoculars?

Discussion in 'Other Tools' started by NevadaBlue, Mar 16, 2018.

1. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    My ‘regular’ binoculars are too big to carry around all the time. The little ones I carry in my RTV don’t have enough ‘power’ for my old eyes. So, today I ordered a used pair of binocs from ebay. I found a compact set (I hope) of zooming binoculars. They are 8 to 16 power, 40mm and look good. I hope they are good, I will be drawn and quartered for spending more money on ‘stuff’, but I want to be able to glass the mountains for critters when I am out. Sight lines can be LONG here.

Do you carry some sort of glass for spying? :D

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  2. mtnoutdoors

mtnoutdoors Prov 27:17 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I got some but I don't take the with me do to the fact there to big to take.
    Prov 27 : 17

3. Muleman77

Muleman77 Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Not always, but often. My 10×40 leupolds. Always in the truck, any extended trip, any fire assignment, and of course hunts.

4. CowboyJesus

CowboyJesus Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've wanted some compact ones myself, but haven't found any in the right price range (translation-cheap enough.) not great need, but it would be helpful in seeing leaves of tall trees when trying to ID them.... among other uses. someday I might find what I'm looking for. good luck with yours-hope they serve you well!

5. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    Thanks!
    I wanted the tiny ones with just covers over the prisms, but all of them are just too spendy. I have hopes for these. I won’t be going long range anyway, so they can sit in the rig if they are too large.

6. Niagara

Niagara Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a good size set I carry in car on trips or when birds are migrating. Also a small set that goes with my in day pack or canoe. Used to come in handy for spotting portage signs from a distance in Algonquin.
    Niagara

7. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Not all the time, but occasionally. Back story, half of the jobs in my job history are no longer in business and I have had to sell a lot of stuff to provide for the family, including my nice pair of sworovski binos (I believe 1st gen.) I saved up a bit and watching for a sale, I got a great deal on a pair of stiener predator 10x26. It is certainly a compromise of power and compactness but it works. While I can't do a side by side comparison, I believe the steiners are clearer than the sworovski

8. Grizzly Dave

Grizzly Dave BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I believe in the best optics you can afford
    I would rather have good binoculars and a mediocre rifle than the other way around
    If you don't see em you can't shoot them.
    I carried 8X 40 Aimpoints for more than 25 years. Recently a big sporting chain went out of business and I scored 10X40 Steiners for 405 off.
    The secret to carrying medium binoculars is tho have a back supported harness rather than a neck strap, or a binocular carry pouch supported by a harness which gives better protection.
    If you are a casual user you might not notice the difference between good and lesser binoculars, but when you are glassing hillsides all day looking for an ear or tail to twitch, your eyes will tire with cheap glass.

9. Youcantreadinthedark

Youcantreadinthedark Amphibian. Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    They're always in the truck; if I'm in relatively open country I take them with me. I live/hunt in deep ridge and valleys, so they're useless for hunting, but I do like looking at birds. I have a pair of Vortex Vipers (8x32s). They fit in my HPG snubby, but you definitely notice the weight towards the end of the day.

10. lil'mike

lil'mike Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    We bought a set to carry around on hikes cause it seems like alot of wildlife appears just out of normal vision range which isn't much since we both wear glasses. I think we got them once we got back from a trip to Tennessee and seen a few black bears in the distance and one real close! I would say around 50-100 yards away is our goal if not further. I haven't had a chance to check these ones out to their distance limit but if they don't work at least that far then I will be hunting for another pair that does. I am not sure what specs I should look at for a real good distance so would have to do some research.

I also have a monocular that I thought I lost but recently found again so I will take that out and see how far I can sight something in this year when on my day hikes!

11. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    To be clear, for me, I don’t hunt. I want these for bird watching type stuff. Deer, elk, mountain sheep, whatever might be out there. Just for fun.

12. Zunga

Zunga Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've got three sets. Small medium and large. The large ones are basically retired. 7x50. I don't need a view that wide. Mediums are 7x35 and go in the boat. The minis are unknown magnification. Narrow field of view. But small and free. I want to replace them with a quality monocular. Smaller lighter and good enough for a sometimes spy glass.
    Cheers Jim

13. Beach Hiker

Beach Hiker Traveller Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I have a pair permanently on the kitchen counter for watching the bird feeder. Helps with identification.
    On hikes I have a monocular in a belt holder. Rarely comes out, but I have used it now and then. It's small, light and pretty decent.

14. Foulwind

Foulwind Guide

Blog Posts:
    In the Redwoods, Santa Cruz Mountains, CA.
    Bushnell 10X50 in my truck 24/7. there getting beat up though. Eyepiece's have been knocked off a few times and as such they don't focus right now. I'll be shopping for new set soon.
    I'd stay away from any binoculars that have a zoom feature. The optics are total junk, at high power the field of view in the eye piece becomes very narrow (Vignettes down) Tasco brand =Total junk.
    Many years ago I purchased my wife a nice spotting scope from Orion telescopes and with it got an adjustable power eyepiece (Effectively a zoom lens) I think 26mm to 60mm? Anyhow the field of view in that eyepiece does not get smaller (Vignette) , just a little dimmer due to the higher magnification. (Was a $200 eyepiece) So we use her "Birding scope" a lot when were out watching the feather critters.

15. Leshy_apprentice

Leshy_apprentice Scout

Blog Posts:
    I used to carry binoculars. Nothing fancy, some cheap 8x32 I believe. That was when I lived further west and was in more open environments. These days where I'm at my field of vision is usually so closed in by trees that binoculars aren't that much of an asset so I've stopped carrying them. I could see using them as a bird/squirrel/etc watcher if you wanted to zoom in on a nearby animal, but for me any bird I can see is usually in a tree close enough already and "life size" is a good enough look for me! A useful tool, but not worth carrying personally for the amount of actual use I would put it to these days.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  16. KFF

KFF Scout

Blog Posts:
    Pair of bushnell h2o 10x42 in my yak kit and a pair of cheapo minis in my SAR kit.

17. Beach Hiker

Beach Hiker Traveller Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Especially now (early spring) I get some unusual/uncommon visitors at the feeder.
    Only by looking at them through binoculars can I see the specific details needed to identify them.

18. mbiraman

mbiraman Guide Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I take bino's when paddling

bacpacjac, freebirdfb and NevadaBlue like this.
  19. PERRO

PERRO Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  20. wingnuts

wingnuts Hunter/Gatherer Provider/Protector Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I would normally agree but in my case where shots are frequently inside of 80 yards and 99% are inside of 60yards I’d rather have the better firearm (rifles not permitted so shotgun with slugs). Somewhere that an average shot is 100yrds plus you’re on the money choosing a superior optic.

21. wingnuts

wingnuts Hunter/Gatherer Provider/Protector Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Oh as for the OP, I carry a small monocular (8x10) if it’s a short hike. If it’s out for the day I might bump that up to a pair of 10x22 binos

22. hillst1

hillst1 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I started to carry binoculars when out hiking. Today I saw 3 Bald Eagles and the binos came in handy. I switched to a harness and it makes carrying them comfortable.
    [​IMG]

23. IzaWildman

IzaWildman Grey Dog Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Monocular for me.

image.jpeg

24. jayclimber

jayclimber BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I'm in the monocular crowd and keep a small 10x25 in my GP pouch for observation/identification purposes... I have an older set of binoculars from Steiner in 8x42 but find myself using the monocular more and more... Small, light, and easily carried!

25. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    Some pretty nice hardware here...

Beach Hiker, bacpacjac and freebirdfb like this.
  26. bigfoots

bigfoots Scout

Blog Posts:
    Bushnell 10x25:tasco 12x25 and a brookstone 10x25 monocular.
    None of them are expensive but they work well and are small enough to carry in my pack. The Bushnell works best but I've been carrying the monocular cause it's so light and small and works surprisingly well.

Attached Files:

27. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have a couple pairs.

The smaller set is a Nikkon Trailblazer 10x25, mostly for day hikes and squirrel hunting.
    The larger set is a Leupold Yosemite 6x35, for hunting or canoeing.

28. 9.3mauser

9.3mauser Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've been carrying a pair of 8x30 Swaro's for over 15 yrs now. I carry them everywhere, and feel naked if I happen to forget them. I don't like the smaller miniature versions... too hard to use for eyeglass wearers and field of view too limited. The 8x30's I find to be the perfect combination of magnification, field of view, size & weight.

29. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    After reading all the suggestions and thinking about my grandson... I ordered an 8x20 miniature monocular too. His hands are small and he wears glasses. Using grandpa’s big binocs right now would be a pain, so now he will have his own spy glass. :D If anything happens to them, no big deal.
    Ebay pic...

294588EE-0C64-406D-AC4A-36996BD26EC4.jpeg

30. bigfoots

bigfoots Scout

Blog Posts:
    That's neat! Fit right in a pocket.

31. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    I am sure it isn’t the best one in the world... it cost less than 5 bucks shipped! I have had good luck with the cheap Chinese stuff, as long as you understand the limitations. I bet this will be a hit with him. He really likes gear. I gave him one of the direction finders yesterday and did a trial fit on his backpack I am rebuilding. I keep having to think small... ;)

bacpacjac, freebirdfb and LongAgoLEO like this.
  32. Turtle Creek

Turtle Creek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don't leave home without them. I shed hunt and mushroom hunt (seems like a non-stop search for stuff in the woods). I used the figure 8 back/shoulder straps for years but hated that they would stretch and lose the elasticity so I upgraded to a chest rig. I absolutely love this thing. It's made by Alaska Guide Creations and carries well with a backpack. The extra pockets on it are handy too. Vortex 8x42 Diamondbacks fit great in the main compartment.
    [​IMG]

Here's the only pic I can find of me wearing it. Not the best photo, but you get the gist
    [​IMG]

33. ozarkhunter

ozarkhunter Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I have the same Bushnell model. They are surprisingly clear for around $70. Mine ride in my truck for cruising bottomland looking for hogs.

34. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    Have binoculars several actually and moved to spotting scope ,It gives me greater range and capabilities .
    If I'm stopping to look at something, I perch it on the hiking staff just as I would with binos .
    In my EDC I carry a little golfing range finder monocular

35. Barebow60

Barebow60 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    IMG_0486.JPG My all time favorite compacts are Vortex 8x25's small, light and clear, plus they have a lifetime warranty.

36. tch1718a

tch1718a Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have been using a cheap set of the compact Bushnell zoom binos for years with a harness. I can't brag on the quality of them, but they are an asset. With age on them they get pretty dark when you zoom in, but they can still help in finding a tail or ear twitch in the woods. Tried them out in the desert recently, and have come to the conclusion that it's time to replace them. Hopefully with something better, but about the same size.

The harness though has worked really well for me. Adjustable enough to use in the spring with a light jacket, or dead of winter with all the layers on.

37. Skeptiksks

Skeptiksks Green Haired Weirdo Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I don't carry them in a pack, but I always have a set of binoculars in the truck. Thinking about monoculars in my rucks though, just so I can glass stuff. There have been many a time where I wished I had a bit of magnification on the ol peepers

bacpacjac, NevadaBlue and freebirdfb like this.
  38. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Have some Optolyths ( 8 X 40) that are my go to everyday binoculars, an old Bruton (7 X 42) set in the kitchen and for hunting Zeiss-Jena EDF (7 X 40 )surplus bino's. Have very compact cheepy pair in the Jeep- got from a trade box--I've been thinking about picking up a quality monocular or compact binocular. Some time the Optolyths don't make it out on trip where as something smaller would.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  39. LongAgoLEO

LongAgoLEO Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yes, I have some kind of magnification optics on me (or at hand) all the time. As some of you know, I spend a lot of time behind these lenses, including high-gen night vision to rapid-refresh FLIR. Have extra glasses everywhere; cabin, trucks, boats, fish houses, etc.

My go-to "bushcrafting/recreational" glasses are the same as @freebirdfb and for the same reasons, Steiner Predator 10x26. They are compact (enough); a decent compromise of size & power; and, an exceedingly clear image for their price point. The color adjusted transmission technology (CAT) appears to make a difference in discerning images, including in low light conditions. I have the Pro model, which is actually older and has since been rebranded simply "Predator." I got these second hand from a friend who was not pleased with their resolution. When I assessed them, it was obvious they had moisture inside. Given they were supposed to be waterproof (with a submersible rating), I contacted Steiner. They didn't even want to see them. I had a new pair in the mail within 2-weeks. Whew... THAT is rare on any level.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    bacpacjac, NevadaBlue and freebirdfb like this.
  40. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    bacpacjac and NevadaBlue like this.
  41. zackerty

zackerty Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Just a Minox 10x monocular, focusses to maybe 10 inches.

42. ColdFolk

ColdFolk Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have a small pair I carry with me that was given to me by my grandfather when I was a cubscout. I prefer that one over my full-sized pair because of the easy carry and the sentimental value.

43. lil'mike

lil'mike Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a pretty big set like you that we carry on trips and such but I also have a real nice monocular that I like to carry when out myself since it is compact and has a belt case. I like that it is collapsible so only about 3 inches long.

I basically only have one good eye so it works fine for me.

44. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Well I just sprung for the Steiner Predator's 8 X 22's I had some money sitting in paypal and optics planet had a decent price. The Tactical's interested me put for the extra price I'm sure the Predators will be just fine....they'll get carried and used a lot...

Well it seems Opticsplanet was out of the Predators....being discontinued it seems....still can find them and all.....I went to Steiner and they are making the tactical 8 X 24's and a wildlife xp 8 X 24 pretty close in many ways....slightly different optics coating??? hard to tell....the tacticals are less shiny and less money so I went for those...via amazon.....we'll see how they do....

Got the T824's in, like the fact they didn't have tactical printed or stuck on them like the photos online. A walk around the dam and some birds and sights to spy on, pretty good quality glass I'll say. Of course not the view of my 8 X 40's but they are going to do just fine. Compact means easy to take along. A complaint online was the carry case is way too big.....it is very nice (I can see using it for other things) and yes too big for desecrate carry. I took care of that with a fleece draw string bag I made a while back, binos and bag fit in the carry case. Use of either will add a little flexibility. Will continue to put them to the test this spring, summer and onward.....will be nice to have in the canoe when fishing is the main interest......a little more durable than my 8 X 40's I'm thinking...

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  45. justinspicher

justinspicher Scout

Blog Posts:
    I am usually carrying mine when I’m out because I’m usually hunting something. Except when I’m at work, then it’s just a simple monocular.

LongAgoLEO, bacpacjac and NevadaBlue like this.
  46. bg7m

bg7m Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I always carry my Leupold 10x40 Cascade. Constantly using them at dawn and dusk while in the woods.

NevadaBlue, LongAgoLEO and bacpacjac like this.
  47. Not Sure

Not Sure Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    For some of the Desert Survival Instructor's they are a important part of their load out.
    I took a class with Tony Nester and had a talk with him about this.
    A very important tool in the desert for locating water and resources.
    Got a compact pair after that and carry them when I feel they will help.

Timex, NevadaBlue, LongAgoLEO and 2 others like this.
  48. 62flint

62flint Scout

Blog Posts:
    I wear glasses so need eye relief. My binocs of choice are surplus Zeis Jena 7x40 EDF.

NevadaBlue likes this.
  49. Jeffro

Jeffro Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I carry a pair of cheap compacts in my knapsack everyday. Being an electrician I use them to read the circuit numbers on junction box covers that are sometimes way up on the red iron.

NevadaBlue likes this.
  50. DavidEnoch

DavidEnoch Scout

Blog Posts:
    I carry an old pair of Bushnel Custom Compact 7x26 binoculars. These were carried and used by the Apollo astronauts. One of the birding web sites rates these binoculars as the only compact binoculars with enough quality to use as full time birding binoculars. These old binoculars go from $50-$200 on EBay. The new Elete version of these go for over $500.

Attached Files:

NevadaBlue likes this.