Who uses a Cpap

Discussion in 'Bush Medicine' started by mtnoutdoors, Feb 9, 2018.

1. mtnoutdoors

mtnoutdoors Prov 27:17 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I use a Cpap at night I was seeing if any other use one and what do you do when you where out in the woods.
    Prov 27 : 17

Mr. Tettnanger likes this.
  2. HunterX9

HunterX9 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have a cpap that I’d probably need to sleep. I picked up a goal zero with a solar charger which I have yet to try but carrying it and the cpap itself is probably a 20 pound addition to the pack.

mtnoutdoors likes this.
  3. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I probably should have one, but I figure when I run out of breaths, that's all I was allotted.

4. Kona9

Kona9 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I use a CPAP, but haven’t used one camping yet. There are large rechargeable batteries you can buy that will power some like the one I have, just can’t use the heater/humidifier. The batteries were expensive last I checked, $200-300, maybe less now?

mtnoutdoors likes this.
  5. mtnoutdoors

mtnoutdoors Prov 27:17 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I know that they have come out with the mouthpiece that they say works has anyone tryed it. Prov 27 : 17

6. wildbill50

wildbill50 Scout

Blog Posts:
    If you are car camping a deep cycle marine battery can be used for a couple of nights and then be recharged by the vehicle or generator. That is no help for backpacking.

Bonekrakker and mtnoutdoors like this.
  7. Cascadian

Cascadian Scout

Blog Posts:
    I thought that was a girl thing.

Bitterroot Native and Niagara like this.
  8. Mr. Tettnanger

Mr. Tettnanger Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    What is a “girl thing”

9. Mr. Tettnanger

Mr. Tettnanger Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I use a cpap. I dont have a portable model.

10. WesinND

WesinND Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I also use a CPAP, but I haven't used it camping. I don't have a portable power supply. It's rough to get good sleep without it.

11. aaronu

aaronu Armchair Bushcrafter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    The small, expensive CPAP batteries cost so much not just because they are specialized... but because they can power a typical CPAP overnight for a one pound weight penalty. There are several travel sized machines as well, some of which have custom batteries. Example, the HDM Z1 is one pound and the battery pack is about 10 ounces. The whole thing takes up less room than a normal CPAP and is small enough to carry in a pack.

For car camping or trips where you can carry a bit more there is stuff like the Goal Zero Yeti line Those are expensive but they do work. A Goal Zero Yeti 150 might get one night on a typical CPAP pressure and weighs 12 pounds. There is a new Yeti 400 with lithium batteries that weighs a bit more but almost triples capacity for 16 pounds. That one will set you back $600 though.

I built a battery pack for about $60 in parts. Most of that was the 22Ah scooter battery. Mine has USB ports and 12V port, and there is enough room next to the battery to store a small inverter, a Battery Tender (for recharging) and a few accessory cables. Altogether there is probably $100 in value there but most of it was stuff I already had.

Regardless of what you decide, portable CPAP power means no humidifier. They take too much power and require "pure sine" power. Typical inverters give only "modified sine" power and are not a good idea for heating elements. It's also recommended to run direct from a DC port rather than via an inverter circuit even without the CPAP humidifier. Inverters rob a lot of power. My 22Ah battery pack would last two days on DC for a CPAP running moderate pressure but only one day running through an inverter.

12. 66drifter

66drifter Guide

Blog Posts:
    i use a TRANSCEND unit at home and when camping(tepee or boating)

i got their 2-night battery which doesn't make it thru the 2nd night

runs on 120v, 12v or battery

house(120v) charger, car(12v) charger and solar charger(which i haven't used yet)

so far i've been able to charge during the days wherever i've been/whatever i've been doing

i don't use the water or heater accessories

really like the fresh mountain air to breathe during the night when i've got my head burried in my sleeping bag ;-)

sure beats hauling that d#^%&^%$#d ole oxygen concentrator around and running 100's of feet of 120v extension cords :)

Mr. Tettnanger likes this.
  13. Zornt

Zornt Guide

Blog Posts:
    I use a BIPAP 2 different pressure levels. One high for inhale lower for exhale.
    I use the humidifier without the heater. Just the air blowing across the water. In the summer I even put ice in the water chamber to breathe cooler air.
    As long as I am in a close to sitting position I can go for a night or two without it.
    The headaches without the machine after two days would split atoms.
    I am looking for a solution.
    Goinh to keep an eye on this thread.

14. Griff4570

Griff4570 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've been using a cpap machine for almost 20 years now. Use the machine in 12 volt mode in my camper. The camper has a solar panel on the roof, battery last forever with out humidifier. When tent camping I can get 2 nights off a car battery, 4 from a deep cycle rv battery. My machine is set on 18 almost max so it uses more power. You will better results using a 12 volt plug for your machine rather than running through a external inverter. Been wanting to get one of the light weight set ups for back packing just not in the budget right now. Don't think I could get more than 1 night from the battery?

Midwest.Bushlore likes this.
  15. Nicholas Moore

Nicholas Moore Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I use a CPAP when car camping. I haven't done any backpacking yet, mainly because my battery is heavy. My CPAP w/humidifier has a 12vdc input connection on it as well as the usual 120vac and automatically switches humidifier heat off when powered by 12v. It will also auto switch from 120v to 12v if your house power goes out. I made my own cable to connect it to my battery. My battery is a 20ah agm type UPS battery. It will last me 2 nights. I use a 1.25a battery tender to charge it. My CPAP is a DeVilbiss IntelliPAP AutoAdjust. Some day I will build a LiFePO4 battery for it but I just don't have the money for it right now. I've also considered getting a smaller CPAP machine.

16. prybry

prybry Scout

Blog Posts:
    I use a DC converter on my ResMed BiPap in my pickup camper... running on a deep cycle rv battery I can get two solid nights. Then I have to charge off the truck. Thinking about a set of solar panels from HF.
    I do use my water tank but turn the heat off... at least I can get a little moisture that way. Otherwise I wake up every couple hours to take a drink to wet my mouth.

I can sleep without it, but I have to prop my head way up... and I still don't get a restful sleep.

17. Bonekrakker

Bonekrakker Not a chiropractor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    When my dad camps with us we bring a deep cycle battery and an inverter as mentioned above. The smaller batteries he keeps trying to bring never last more than a night, and we're usually out for 3

18. SharpieB

SharpieB Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I use one as I snore like a mofo. We have a 5th wheel and also generally camp where they offer electricity.

If we are in the bush, I (actually my wife and daughter!) just suck it up for a couple days and go without.

19. Skruffy

Skruffy Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I was looking at the Transcend Ezex travel Cpap. The specs say it weighs 15oz & the battery pack about 1 lb. Size of a pop can. The cost would be about $769.00.
    I decided I can go a few nights without it. I put Vicks vapor rub in the nostrils if it gets bad. Seems to help me anyway - or so I think. :)

20. grey mouse

grey mouse Scout

Blog Posts:
    mtnoutdoors likes this.
  21. ilovepierogi

ilovepierogi Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My dad uses one. He just brings the whole kit and kaboodle with him backpacking... Of course I take more gear to compensate, so maybe look into getting an offspring/pack animal

22. Snakeshooter

Snakeshooter Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I haven't used mine except for car camping trips.

23. Bronco68

Bronco68 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I use an oral appliance to control snoring and to keep my airway open when I sleep. So far it's worked quite well for both problems, as my shoulder is no longer sore from getting smacked by my wife, and I'm quite a bit more alert at work. It does have some limitations however; it has to be made by a specially trained dentist so it's pretty expensive ($2000) and may not be covered by your insurance, there is a threshold of efficacy depending on your sleep apnea score, it can dry out your mouth to the point where you will awaken to take a swig of water now and then, it can alter your jaw position and create some stiffness and bite issues, and it may be necessary to replace either the upper or lower tray if it can't be adjusted after having a crown installed. Despite the limitations I've been fortunate that it works, as its extreme portability and low maintenance requirements allow me to take it hunting and backpacking with no weight penalties. In the end I have found it to be worth the expense though. Hope you found this helpful.:14:

24. humble beginner

humble beginner Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have been on a CPAP for about 10 years. I use a Remstar M series and just run it in DC mode, which is to say I dont carry the transformer that converts 110 AC to 12 DC. I hooked a cigarette lighter plug to the power cord and used an automotive "jump box" to power the CPAP. It will only run one night without a recharge. Running the car (my car had an inverter built in) to charge the jumpbox is a pain and its VERY inefficient but I can squeeze out three nights before the jumpbox needs AC to get it to a full charge. All of this is obviously car camping.

I do have one tip to add, for those that like the warm air of a humidifier try this. Run your cpap with the humidifier attached just no power to the humidifier. You need a long hose for your mask, run the hose up through your sleeping bag and let your body heat warm the air! Its not as effective as a humidifier but its better than without.