Who's interested in a NWA group?

Discussion in 'Arkansas' started by SwissArmyKnife, Feb 13, 2013.

1. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    EDIT UPDATE: We are forming a NW Arkansas bushcraft group, Ozark Highlanders. Our meetings will be held the second Saturday of each month. At this time we are still scouting and trying different locations to meet but we will give notice well ahead of time to make plans.
    Attendance is not required and there are no fees. We openly invite anyone to come and participate, or even just to observe, we're casual but serious about primitive living and self reliance. Our goal is to learn the crafts and skills, to pass on our knowledge and experiences, to protect our forefathers legacy and our natural world, and to enjoy the fellowship of others.

This is not our permanent meeting place but it will work for now. It's easy to access for everyone without hiking more than 1/4mile or so.
    Here's the coordinates (Datum= WGS 84):
    N 35°20'30.7" W094°16'46.3"

The next meeting will be April 13th, 2013 at about 9am.

I know I didn't get to meet up on the last trip but I'd like yalls input on forming a group for us.
    I'd like it to be informal. Have a day each month, like the second Saturday or so, to meet up. That way it'll be easier for us all to plan ahead around work. Meets can be either in the field, or even in the back yard. The purpose of the group would be sharing our knowledge, learning and practicing new skills, mentoring others in bushcraft, and exploring our surroundings.
    So even if we can't all make it to the field we could meet up and work on a bushclass together. Maybe some of you have a skill/knowledge you'd like to show and pass on we could all learn. I'd be up for picking up someone in my area or on the way to camp and carpool. Family and friends would be welcome to come along and encouraged to join in the activities and discussions. With it being a day trip it'd be easier to schedule and we could, with enough notice, turn one into an overnight every now and then without alot of hassle.
    I'm thinking like Ozark Woodsmen or something along the lines of it.
    Share, learn, protect, and explore.

This is a discussion about how to best accomplish this and gauge the level of interest on it. There would be no fees or attendance requirements to join and be a part of it, completely informal. But I would like each member to try to teach someone, or the group, a new skill, if they are willing. Even if everybody already knows the skill its always good to see how someone else does it and practice.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  2. treebreeze

treebreeze Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm for it, sounds like a good idea. Once a month and if people want camp they can if not no big deal. We could set a project for the day, for example: Axe skills and care, Knife Skills and care, making shelters, making cordage, and ect.

3. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    That's what I was thinking. Those sound like excellent topics for group meets. What do you think on scheduling? Does the second Saturday sound good to you? What about a name, I'm for Ozark Highlanders, derived from the Ozark Highlands region of Northwest Arkansas described in a wiki article I listed below.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ozarks

Well, I guess it's just us two for now treebreeze. Hopefully we'll get more interest in the future.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  4. treebreeze

treebreeze Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm surprised that no one has commented yet. When I first found this arkansas page, it seemed very busy. Second Sat. works fine for me. Ozark Highlanders works too, I'm not very good when it come to thinking up names. So March 9th will be the next meet?

5. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yup, I really expected to see more here. I see there's about 20 or so lurkers checking it out. So if some of yall looky-loos are interested feel free to register and join us!

Next, where to meet? Is there somewhere you like to go that would work? There's a bunch of places around here but not many that you can camp, fish, and have fires at.

6. Gimp

Gimp Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Man I'd love to, but I hurt my back and lost my job, then the wife left ( on valentines day)cause I wasn't making any money. I don't know if I could afford to go anywhere rite now

7. treebreeze

treebreeze Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Sorry to hear that, hang in there bro.

As far as a place to hold it I'm flexible. Whatever is best for every one is good for me :)

8. Coach CaL

Coach CaL Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Im a little rusty on the skills but i might be up for a meet here and there. Good excuse to get out.

9. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    Don't worry about that, I still haven't successfully made a friction fire! When I say I'd like to work on at least one bushclass on each meet, thateans ill be completing most of them for the first official time as well too.

I hope you get back on your feet brother. If you're within the area I'm sure we could offer a ride. Welcome to the group!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  10. treebreeze

treebreeze Tracker

Blog Posts:
    if anyone was to need transportation around Mulberry, Ozark, Alma, or close to I would give you a lift.

11. Coach CaL

Coach CaL Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I learned on Yucca. I actually still have a couple kits, hand and bow, I believe they are a year old though. Look for Yucca and mullein in your area. I'm pretty sure it is a good time to harvest.

12. Coach CaL

Coach CaL Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm jealous. If i was that close to the mulberry river I don't think i could get anything done. One of my favorite floats 2.5 3.0 range.

13. treebreeze

treebreeze Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I love it!

14. agranite

agranite Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Sorry but a NWA group already exists:

[video=youtube_share;-MrQtOoQRpc]http://youtu.be/-MrQtOoQRpc[/video]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  15. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    Okay so the second Saturday each month seems okay too everyone planning on attending.

So now where to meet? I'll throw out a couple places that I can see myself making it too easy enough. If everyone else does the same we should see a geographic trend that could be a good common ground.

Lake Fort Smith State Park ~30min drive.
    Yellow Rock Trail ~Never been but listed on my All Trails phone app as close.
    Basically Lake Fort Smith State Park is the farthest away from Van Buren, AR I can reasonably go. So within 30min or so of it is good for me.
    Now that I know where it is, the spot that yall camped at on the last trip is good for me as well.

16. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    Okay mister smarty pants lol. NW-AR, is that okay? Besides, it was only a functional title for temporary use.

17. treebreeze

treebreeze Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Late Ft. Smith will work for day events. If it's overnight you have to camp in a zoned camp spot, no primitive camping. I know quite a few good spots as well around Mulberry if the need arises. Both private land and Nat. Forest. I know some real good spots north of Ozark, but that would put you well over 30 min away!

18. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    I talked to the park svc there. If you take the Highlands Trail, after about 3 miles you're out of the park and free to camp as you please, they only ask that you camp at least 200 yards from the main trail and shoreline of the water. But, having taken my family on the first couple miles of it, it's too rough to make a day trip feasible. I'm still fairly new to the area so I only know the local parks. I'll check out the mulberry area maps thanks.
    The Ozark national forest is only about 15 minutes away on the old hwy 59 from me.

19. treebreeze

treebreeze Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hey Swiss, since it may just be u and I what about Dam site south public use area off of 59 in Barling? I've never been there but it looks like a nice wooded area.

20. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    You talking about that little parking area at Natural Dam? I've been there a couple times and we've hiked that short trail about 15 minutes walk time.
    Can we make camp there? Fires?

UPDATE: I just talked to the forest service and got the info we need for that area.
    Primitive camping only
    Minimum 50' from the trails and creek
    You may have campfires as long as there's no burn ban
    Make sure we are in the forest and not on any private land
    We can check topomaps and other resources to find property boundary lines.

There's a few small trails that we can scout for places to use we just have to abide by the rules above. I think that place will work (provided its the place you were referring to).
    http://blog.gregdisch.com/2009/10/15/natural-dam-arkansas-waterfall/

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  21. treebreeze

treebreeze Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The one I was looking at is right by Barling at 10 min south east of van buren. I'm good for whatever natural dam or barling:)

22. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sorry, I got my bearings confused. It's been a long day lol. I'll look it up on Google. You gonna scout out a spot? If ya do, take some pics if you don't mind.

23. treebreeze

treebreeze Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Sure thing, I'll be around there this week ill take pics.

24. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    I think my focus will be fire for class. I'd like to see how others make/carry kit and implement them to accomplish friction fire. Be nice to work on identifying plant life in the area as well.

25. PATHMASTER75

PATHMASTER75 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I wish I lived closer to your guy's neck of the woods. Really like to do a get together sometime. I am not even sure if any of the guys from my area are still around here. Maybe one of these days I can actually use some of my vacation time for an actual vacation and head out west and go play in the woods with yal.

26. treebreeze

treebreeze Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I will try with a bow set. It's been years since I've done it lol!

27. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'd like to see about making a permanent basecamp eventually.

I'm sorry you're so far away. There'll always be an open spot for you around the fire.

28. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    Finally finished the mods to my son's USGI Small Rucksack, took the boys for a long (for them) hike yesterday. Have you had a chance to scout out that spot at all Treebreeze?

29. treebreeze

treebreeze Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm hoping I can get there tomorrow. If no problems arise at work it shouldn't be a problem.

30. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    I thought about poking around and trying to find it using your description today as I'm off work. But I had some medical and job stuff to take care of. I'm off work for Saturday though so no worries this time long as I've still got room for fun gas in the tank lol.
    I'm excited for this!

31. treebreeze

treebreeze Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Here's some overhead pics, I was hoping to get out there today but it's not possible.

this is the location in the park that is most secluded

GoogleEarth_Image (1).jpg

and here are some crappy directions :)

GoogleEarth_Image (2).jpg

Park entrance

Untitled.jpg

I'll be there Sat. 9-10am I'll be out there all day

32. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    Can you give me coordinates for that location. Looks good, what's the hike to the spot like distance wise?
    EDIT: Nevermind, I found it on my map. Plug this into Google maps and it'll get us in the general area:
    N 35° 20.49 W 94° 16.77

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  33. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    See yall in the morning around 9.

34. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    I went out to the dam area in Barling and found a decent spot to set up camp. It's not far from the trails but it's in a depression with alot of tree and brush cover so it's out of sight. There's vehicle access up to about 1/4mile away from it so it's easy to get to as well. I cleared out a small area and built a firepit with a stone oveof sorts. It shelters the fire and cooks well. It's not perfect and by no means will be the only place we can meet but it'll do for our purposes. It's also just uphill about 30yd from the river so there may be some decent fishing as well.
    Sorry it took so long for me to post this.
    Here's the coordinates (Datum= WGS 84):
    N 35°20'30.7" W094°16'46.3"
    Facing South, away from the river.
    [​IMG]
    Cooking up lunch. Sorry it's a bit fuzzy.
    [​IMG]

35. mboyce

mboyce Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hello! My name is Marvin, and I live near Dardanelle. I'm new to the site but have camping, hiking, and re-enacting most of my life. I hope to be able to get out and start doing some Bushcraft activities. We have 16 acres here, so there's alot I can practice just at my house, but I would love to get out with others to learn and teach new skills.
    Hopefully, I will see you guys out on the trails someday!

36. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to the group! Hope to see you on the trails as well.

37. Tom Krein

Tom Krein Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hey guys, I'm for sure interested. Not sure how many meetings I could make, but will see....

I'm up in Gentry area. Cool to see you guys so active!

Tom

38. JCranston

JCranston Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I would be interested in a NWA meetup I'm in Joplin, MO so not too far away

Thanks
    Jason

39. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    Glad to have yall!

40. lepercan

lepercan Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hello,
    Just came across this.
    Are y'all still meeting? If so, where? I don't know how my schedule will work but I'll try to make it some months. Maybe just a day trip.
    Been bush bumming most of my life and haven't learned half of what I want to know.
    I'm in Poteau, OK so anywhere in the Ft. Smith area is good for me.
    I'd appreciate a PM on this as well as an answer on the forum.
    Tom Long

41. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yup, we're just getting started. Second Saturday of each month so it's easier to remember and schedule. We're still scouting for good locations to meet, but have a daytime place for now posted above. Come out for a few minutes or all day, every month to a couple times a year whichever suits your availability.
    As far as knowledge and skills go, we want the group committed to sharing whatever knowledge, skills and experiences you have. I'm still working on my first elusive ember to catch tinder from friction fire! I believe another here may share some of the Civil War era lifestyles and whatnot with us soon as well.

So far, here's who I've seen interested in the group (on this thread at least). If there's more I'll add then to the list.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ozark Highlanders members:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    SwissArmyKnife
    Treebreeze
    Gimp
    Coach Cal
    PATHMASTER75
    mboyce
    Tom Krein
    JCranston
    lepercan
    Ratwagen
    whitewater4x4
    Matthew6767
    Bellringer
    Graffiticandy
    d_eggman2

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  42. Gimp

Gimp Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm going to make it to one sooner or later. To much stuff going on, my twelve year old son finally had enough of his mom and wants to live with me( woohoo), wife left me, and having trouble from breaking my neck 14 years ago. As soon as I get all of that takeing care of I'll be their lol.

43. graffiticandy

graffiticandy Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    arkansas

Im from Bentonville

44. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to the group graffiticandy.

I'm going to be late this Saturday. Have to drop the fuel tank on my jeep. Hopefully we'll get it buttoned back up quickly and working right. Somehow its been running since I bought it with the fuel pump wired in backwards... No wonder the fuel gauge doesn't work! See yall then.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  45. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    Well getting my jeep running took alot longer than planned. Sorry I didn't make it out.

46. mboyce

mboyce Scout

Blog Posts:
    I had too much to do at home because of last weekends expedition. I did root out a bunch of my old gear from the barn and I also received a package from Bushcraft Outfitters.

47. lepercan

lepercan Scout

Blog Posts:
    Did anyone make it Saturday? 13th.
    Lep

48. Maurice479

Maurice479 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Newb here

Hey guys,
    I just signed up here after lurking for a while. I'd love to join in on the fun. I see my friend Tom Krein is here (Hi Tom!). I am in Fayetteville/Springdale.

49. mboyce

mboyce Scout

Blog Posts:
    Welcome! I'm fairly new here too. I haven't been out to any of the meetings yet, but hope to soon.

50. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    Will be with my son's Tiger Cub troop at the Van Buren Municipal park fishing derby tomorrow.
    Welcome to come though, bring the kids. It's free, they just restocked the Lake with catfish, free food too.

Last edited: May 11, 2013