Why Always Tactical?

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by CharClothed, Oct 16, 2017.

1. CharClothed

CharClothed Guide

Blog Posts:
    Never understood why people always buy tactical in regards to packs, clothes, and anything noticeable from far away when in regards to bugging out or getting home. Surely civilian clothes and packs are the way to go. Why would you want to stand out with tactical themed gear?

KFF, Terasec, Maurice 7 and 11 others like this.
  2. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Some folks think it looks cool in public although not very practical unless you are a member of the local SWAT team.

KFF, Horseman, happywanderer and 6 others like this.
  3. Haggis

Haggis Guide

Blog Posts:
    I don't and won't buy anything camo, or anything that even hints at being "tactical",,, Other folk love the stuff,,, It's a big world out there, plenty of room for everyone to enjoy as pleases them,,,

4. crewhead05

crewhead05 Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Mil surplus is cheap, practical, tough. Molle pals webbing is a great way to mount additional pouches or attach more items. Cargo pockets work for additional on body level one storage items. Natural earth colors are my preferred choice over bright colors. Mil ECWS seven layer clothing system is fantastic if used correctly and can be found very cheap compared to the civilian equivalent. The military modular sleep system though bulky is also fantastic for the price, the bivvy being the best of the system. Lots of reasons this gear would used.

5. CharClothed

CharClothed Guide

Blog Posts:
    I know the feeling. The only reason I have a orange winter camp hunting suit is because a family member got it for me. Otherwise camp is pretty stupid to me.

I can understand using it for the use it's made for. But none of this "Urban Survival, Get Home Bag" shit where you are making yourself stand out and completely obvious compared to everyone else. Every time I see someone who's Tacticool in the city, it's so easy to spot them from the horde of people.

Bobsdock, Carbonmated, OldMan and 3 others like this.
  6. anno lynke

anno lynke Tracker

Blog Posts:
    For a get home bag I would use civilian backpack, smaller and will blend better
    Once home if I am bugging out, military backpack, for the same reason the military carries them rugged and can hold everything Ill need to get where I am going

alw357, gwynn1975, PMSteve and 2 others like this.
  7. Unistat76

Unistat76 Nerd Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Well, on the one hand, "tactcal" usually means molle/pals webbing which is very useful if you want a modular setup. Also, surplus stuff is widely available and cheap. I have a bunch of gear that is a mix of surplus and after market molle, so I guess that's pretty tacticool.

On the other hand, it could draw unwanted attention to yourself in a crisis as some would single you out based on the appearance of your gear. To that end, my edc bag, and mine and my wife's ghb are just regular backpacks, no tactical look at all.

On the gripping hand, in a real crisis, people are going to either not care or look for anyone with a pack of any kind as a target.

I see 7 year old kids coming out of my daughter's class with full on multicam molle packs. It's become a fashion accessory. Kind of like paracord bracelets. It used to be if you saw someone wearing one, they were likely either a preppers or maybe former military (or both.) Now you can buy the kits at Wal-Mart.

@CharClothed , we live in Michigan. Anywhere I go in this state I see folks casually wearing camo, cargo pants, hunting apparel, and any number of other items that might mark the them as a prepper, survivalist, or concealed carrier. It's so common as to be unremarkable.

I guess what I'm saying is that I've started to think that the only folks who worry about or even notice this stuff is us preppers.

BTW, if you haven't read these stories yet, you should check out FerFal and Selco.
    FerFal lived through the economic collapse in Argentina. He has since moved to Ireland. http://www.silverbearcafe.com/private/10.08/tshtf1.html
    Selco survived the Bosnian war of he '90s and has since setup a training school. http://www.shtfplan.com/emergency-p...ugh-shtf-in-the-middle-of-a-war-zone_10252011

Remember, neither of that these dudes are Americans. They have a lot of good things to say, but also a lot of opinions that they are pretty firm on, that imo, are misapplied to the U.S.

anno lynke, Cro, BeardyCrow and 8 others like this.
  8. GoKartz

GoKartz Sharpaholic Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Like @crewhead05 Said, it is often available cheap. There's also a lot of quality well made items in the "civilian tactical" side that don't often have a non-tactical version. Some people think tactical the minute they see ranger or OD green or coyote or any shade of multicam.

For some people, tactical is chic. They want to look like that and stand out, because they think it is cool, or fashionable (for their group). Some people also wear it as a middle finger to The Man or the PC Starbucks REI Hipster crowd*, or whoever you happen to dislike and feel is planning to infringe on your life. (I have no problem with Starbucks or REI, but using these stereotypes is a decent shorthand for what people that dress tactical chic think they're opposing.)

The color of your gear matters little - if you have a bright red Osprey 65 stuffed full of gear or a multicam Macpedition, in a SHTF situation, you'll be a target regardless the color - they'll just see stuff. "Grey man" got really popular too a few years ago, and a lot of this "wolf gray" popped up... you'll still be a target with a gray bag full of gear.

I don't really have a bone in this fight. I don't dress tactically*, but I do own plenty of gear some people would say looks tactical because of the color. I think this is one of those HYOH things - for instance, I'm not a fan of how BOBs are commonly conceived, but unless you're my friend and I want to piss you off, I don't go around saying "why y'all making these BOBs? That's just X and Y and blah blah blah."

*thats a lie. I dress tactically in that I choose what I wear appropriately - I make tactical choices; but I don't dress MilSpec.

Just my two pesos.

LarryB, Kreger, gwynn1975 and 10 others like this.
  9. Crazysanman

Crazysanman Bushmaster Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    This.

I just got a brand new load bearing vest and I thought it would be good to build my get home bag around, but then I thought I don't want to wear it walking alone down the side of the road after some kind of disaster. It would be better to use to load mags and an IFAK on the front of when I'm bugging out with a large pack on my back.

gwynn1975, OldMan and Haggis like this.
  10. EternalLove

EternalLove Guide

Blog Posts:
    You can blend in or stand out. I choose to stand out.

11. GoKartz

Blog Posts:
    I wear multiple bright colors and often mismatching (colorful) socks. Does that count?

12. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    How would you like your current favorite plinker to be named "Tacticool"? :eek:
    Oh well. It still shoots great.

OldMan and GoKartz like this.
  13. Gii shi kan dug

Gii shi kan dug Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Never understood why someone gives a rosy red rat rectum what other people do, or what they buy!

14. RickS

RickS Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I hate bright colors in the woods, or anywhere else for that matter. I like colors that blend and I like having a place for everything and everything in its place. There are also some great designs like the rolly polies that I love on walks around the neighborhood for when I find mushrooms or something else I want to take home. I was looking at the jumbo versipak I carry a lot, I couldn't design or make something that would work as well for the money. It is also well made and will last me the rest of my life. I can also change the configuration with different add on pouches. I use what does the job.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  15. TrespassersWilliam

TrespassersWilliam Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I wear 5.11 taclite pants to work because they last longer than pants marketed as "work wear". The mag pouch holds tools with sharp edges without wearing holes in the fabric.

5.11's "just shoot me" pants used to be marketed to mountaineers scraping against rocks before being marketed to cops and mall ninjas.

When I am not working I try to wear less tactical stuff... but if you are NOT wearing MossyOak camo this time of year... you will stand out in some areas.

For me, tactical/surplus potentially means overbuilt, durable, and a decent value. ...or, I am too poor to keep buying work pants that fail too soon.

jayclimber, Kreger, gwynn1975 and 9 others like this.
  16. Unistat76

Blog Posts:
    Well, we could put one of these on our cars...
    41D+brXGQqL.jpg

...and dress like this.
    770ef04f69e942d27c463019b634e894--clothing-websites-for-women-ladies-clothing-online.jpg

I call it hippie-flage. If I lived in Ann Arbor, I might consider it.

17. JohnP

JohnP No more half measures Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Blending in is very much location dependent. You hear a lot about going gray, but that isn't always a good idea. There are a ton of state prisons here in East Texas and the guard uniform is gray shirts, gray pants, and gray caps. It is very common to see gray, but in a SHTF situation, you would not want to be gray man around here. You would be a prime target for every bad guy in and out of the system.

It is very common to see camo, both military and civilian, on both males and females. Even on babies. You really wouldn't stand out wearing either. On the other hand, outside of church, I can't remember the last time I saw someone wearing a suit and tie.

I wear BDU style pants, bloused above duty boots, every day and think nothing of it. It just depends on where you are. When in Rome...

JohnP

18. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Guess it depends on your area. Here in Texas military surplus gear and commercial camo hunting clothes and gear are almost as common as blue jeans, at least among those who get out past the sidewalk. Certainly, this does not stand out though it may offend a few Austin yuppie snowflake types.

19. Unistat76

Blog Posts:
    "Grey man" does not literally mean wearing the color grey. I means blending into the surrounding population. "Grey" as in neutral and unremarkable. It suppose it could also be called "Beige man."

SierraSix, LarryB, NMPops and 19 others like this.
  20. GunGoBoom

GunGoBoom I'm not lost, I've just misplaced myself. Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I wear 5.11s very frequently. First, they're standard fare at work. Second, they're really comfortable. Third, they are indeed functional. I don't want to go home and change into blue jeans just because someone might call me tacticool....hell, maybe I am.

jayclimber, Kreger, gwynn1975 and 5 others like this.
  21. Nakadnu

Nakadnu OBSERVER Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Here is a scenario. It is the zombie apocalypse or whichever one you care to choose. I am the bad guy. I am looking for easy low risk targets. I spy 2 lone men. One has a Voodoo, 5.11, Blackhawk tactical bag in digital coyote camo. The other has a $17.89 baby blue book bag from Wallys.
    I know who I would prey on.

22. GoKartz

Blog Posts:
    I'm hoping the answe is baby blue. :cool:

gwynn1975, Wasp and Nakadnu like this.
  23. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I was thinking Voodoo man.
    He probably has cooler crap :p

24. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Scholarly Woodsman Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I don't care much for "tactical" things, and honestly I don't understand why people want to give off that vibe when going into the woods. MOLLE/ALICE packs, tactical nylon, BDU's, tricked out black guns with lasers, overly aggressive looking knives with black coatings, etc... just don't really appeal to me. Those things are marketed as being intended for going to war. In my opinion, people who wear a bunch of that garb give people the impression (even if unintentionally) that they are looking for a fight. I mean, people assume a lot about you because of your appearance. If you saw some guy out in the woods with woodland camo coveralls and an orange vest, you would assume he was hunting (or at least that he liked hunting). If you saw some guy out in the woods that is wearing SWAT/military gear, you might think he was the kind of person that liked violence.

Why give off the vibe of "going to war" if you are just going for a stroll in the woods to make some coffee over the fire? Don't you think that something about that can be a bit unsettling?

I'm not chastising people that like tactical things. You have the right to buy whatever style of clothes and gear that you want. I'm glad you have that freedom. I'm not chastising people that carry a backpack with MOLLE webbing. Maybe you just like the functionality/modularity. That's fine. There's a practical reason for that (heck, I think some of the maxpedition products are very practical and versatile). I'm just trying to raise a question. The camping/outdoor/hiking/bushcraft community has been heavily influenced by SWAT/military styling and I'm not sure why. They seem like very different categories to me. I think that this unnecessary connection between gear for enjoying the outdoors and gear for war is something that we are just desensitized to. Nearly half the knives and gear out there that are marketed to outdoor-loving civilians are promoted using police/military ads. That doesn't make sense to me, but it has just become normal and so it doesn't strike us as odd. I understand that there is a small amount of overlap, but bushcraft and combat are two things that are separated by a very large and very obvious gap. Why is the overlap so exaggerated?

Again, I am not attacking people who own tactical gear. I just think this is an interesting and potentially significant discussion for our community.

LarryB, redcanoe, Barebow60 and 4 others like this.
  25. GunGoBoom

Blog Posts:
    I have a hard time viewing cargo pants and molle webbing as "going to war". It's functional equipment. That's why the military uses it. I'm sorry if it scares people but I'm not in the business of catering to the delicate psyche of every stranger I come across.

Maybe I just like to pretend I'm John Rambo hiding from an abusive sheriff while I'm in the woods.....don't judge me :57:

26. CoolBreeze135

Blog Posts:
    I personally wear cargo pants and have a couple Maxpedition products. There isn't anything overly tactical about cargo pants. Digicam/multicam BDUs, on the other hand, seem overly tactical to me. There's a line between using functional equipment that happens to have military influence (Maxpedition MOLLE pack and some coyote brown cargo pants) and having an overall tactical appearance. Notice that I didn't condemn either one. I am just puzzled as to why outdoor things are intentionally made to look tactical. We are a bunch of people who recreationally enjoy the outdoors. We like to go hike and camp on the weekends and cook a good meal over a campfire. At what point did that become tied with combat equipment? Again, I'm not saying that it is wrong to use tactical equipment. But once it reaches a certain extent, it just strikes me as odd. It's a curious market that we find ourselves in. I'm a philisophical guy, and wondering why things are the way they are is a default setting for me. I like asking questions. I don't like trying to stifle dissenting opinions and I have tried to make sure that no one misinterprets what I'm saying.

You're absolutely right. You have no obligation to cater to the random people you encounter. I'm not asserting that you do. And, for the record, I'm not suggesting that anyone gets rid of their cargo pants either.

WILL, Kreger and jswi2374 like this.
  27. GunGoBoom

Blog Posts:
    I would posit that perhaps the overlap is not so much in equipment functionality but rather it is in the consumer. The people who like the outdoors are largely the same people who serve in the military or law enforcement. Not across the board but both are sort of masculine endeavors which would draw similiar crowds. Marketing majors aren't dumb and they know how to look at demographics. Not an answer, just a thought.

Gii shi kan dug, Cro, Kreger and 4 others like this.
  28. EternalLove

EternalLove Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've never been scared or intimadated on the trail by someone wearing cargo pants.
    Sometimes, you may a hear non-complimentary remark on a fixed blade hanging off your belt in the form of a sarcastic question meant to shame or embarress.

...Everyone deals with hecklers differently.

For example, if you run across the hippie in the picture while he is out hiking with his platonic girl friends and he ask "Nice knife. Are you going to war or hunting elephants?".

What's your response?
    Keep it clean. :14:

LarryB, Kreger and GreyOne like this.
  29. Kmcmichael

Kmcmichael Scout

Blog Posts:
    Some of us got that stuff issued and have not yet worn it out!
    It is a good idea to blend in unless it costs extra. It is particularly hard to blend in you never wear shoes and are obnoxious.

I do hate the word tactical as it is overused largely by people who are unable to articulate or trying to sound professional.

511 pants were once called Royal Robbbins and were much higher quality. Firearms instructor at the FBI were the first people I say using them. I still have a bunch of them and wear them because of the pockets but they are too big and my wife does not lik them.

Kreger, drobs and TrespassersWilliam like this.
  30. Chili

Chili Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I would propose that those guys using that stuff in the military are a large portion of the population that choose to spend time in the woods. Just look at the percentage of veterans on this site compared to the general population. It should be no surprise that veterans tend to gravitate towards the gear they used or that has similar function to what they used in the miltary.

As to the whole 'grey man' thing, those that preach the grey man philosophy will also tell you that you should always be on alert and aware of your surroundings. I have heard them suggest that being alert, in itself, can be a deterrent to those looking to harm you, as they want an easy target and if they see you are paying attention they are more likely to leave you alone. Well, based on that train of thought then the guy that looks all tacticool should be good!

Most of these 'experts' are only speculating anyways. Even with real world experiences of sh*t hitting the fan, there is no way to know how it would really go down here.

31. Wasp

Wasp We are GO for Sting! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don't know what "Tactical Gear" means really? I mean sure that's how some companies market items, but most gear can't be tactical by definition and often that includes hardware. Tactical is 'applied tactics' and isn't tactical by definition simply because it exists.

A lot of gear these days with a tactical implication because people have bought into the marketing and label everything similar as such. Like the term "Assault Rifle" that has been automatically associated with any magazine fed rifle out there.

As far a gear with molle webbing and pouches, it's super handy if you've ever used it, especially compared to dumping everything into a standard Jansport single or double pocket bag or even a duffle. As far as colors go, I prefer earth tones, especially when in the woods, pink isn't really my thing and neither is florescent blue.

If regular bag/gear companies would make their bags easier to access gear without digging to the bottom of a compartment it would make it more appealing. They could also come up with a non molle type way to attach or customize a bag. A few do this with their bags to some degree, but I can't afford a $300+ backpack.

Maxpedition has tried to appeal to a larger market by not calling their bags tactical (for the most part) and offering a variety of colors other than camo or OD/FDE.
    I do like packs like the 5.11 Covrt 18 because it has a lot of features in an unassuming pack for a reasonable amount of money, but there aren't very many that fit, and although it looks good it isn't perfect IMO.

If you're talking about Gray Man in a SHTF or Bug Out scenario, I don't think there's any such thing. If you're carrying ANY pack or gear it means you have something, and someone else is gonna want it no matter how insignificant your bag looks. Besides I'm gonna be armed, and if it's a serious BO situation it's gonna be a long gun and a sidearm. Not sure a Hello Kitty backpack would matter at that point, or that I'd care.

jayclimber, superpaco, Cro and 11 others like this.
  32. crewhead05

Blog Posts:
    Id say the gap isnt as big as you are thinking. Take away the combat aspect then what are Soldiers doing. Lots of time outside, improvising shelters, living out of their packs.

Both groups are looking for
    - Long lasting gear
    - Comfortable boots
    - Multi use tools
    - Clothing systems that can cover a variety of weather/ environment
    - Outdoor cooking options
    - Shelter options

The militiary and outdoor clothing/gear manufacturers (Patagonia for example) feed off of the needs and developments of each others communities.

33. CoolBreeze135

Blog Posts:
    Good points. You prompted me to think about another factor that is probably a heavy influence. If you are an American male who loves adventure, you were probably influenced by prominent adventure stories as a child. I certainly was. These were predominantly stories of warriors and soldiers. Playing around in the woods behind my house as a kid, I pretended to be a knight, a jedi, or a soldier. Fast forward to my late teenage years, and I realized that my thirst for adventure was satisfied by exploring forests, caves, rivers, and mountains and learning about trees, plants, and wildlife. Even though I liked to read about it as a kid, I realized that I really had no desire for battle or danger. That led me on a patch that diverged from the focus of my childhood imagination. However, I bet that lots of us never let go of the things we love as children, and we brought our fondness for the adventures of warriors and soldiers into our adulthood and into our hobbies.

I had a streak where I was fond of tactical gear, but I realized it was because I was just buying what the louder voices (youtube videos, etc...) in the knife/outdoor community were selling. I pretty quickly realized that my tastes were different once I got more exposure to bushcraft, backpacking, and hiking.

LarryB, WILL and crewhead05 like this.
  34. CoolBreeze135

Blog Posts:
    Maybe you are right about the gap. Having never been in the military, all my information is second hand.

Are outdoor cooking, fire starting, and improvised shelter building common activities for soldiers? If so, then I probably don't realize how much overlap there is.

superpaco and crewhead05 like this.
  35. crewhead05

Blog Posts:
    Very much so. Shelter improvements and field cooking was very big especially for the infantryman (more so before 9/11). In Alaska we still built thermal debris thermal shelters and did firemaking drills as part of annual arctic survival training.

36. Chili

Chili Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Holy smokes, almost exactly what I wrote and at essentially the same time (the post above this was the last post when I started my reply. :p

GunGoBoom, Luafcm and CoolBreeze135 like this.
  37. Ttom

Ttom Tracker

Blog Posts:
    We are in the middle of some epic storms right now - i had all my basic gear i carry every day like water bottle keys etc in a frost river knapsack - last night i switched it all over to my maxpedition pack 23L that i usually use for summer overnighters - why? It is better to organise things in it, keeps things dry better... it sucks, i don't want to look all tactical but the bag just works better...

38. CoolBreeze135

Blog Posts:
    I've explained to people why I have a knife on my belt before, though not exactly in the type of situation you pose.

I usually just say something like, "I really enjoy wood carving and cooking over a fire. This tool is really helpful both for making things, and for preparing food." I would also clarify that to me a knife is a useful tool and never a weapon.

Also, most hippie types that I encounter aren't alarmed by knives. In fact, I've even seen some extremely hippie types carrying sheath knives around town.

jasam and GoKartz like this.
  39. CoolBreeze135

Blog Posts:
    That's pretty awesome! The people I've talked to didn't have many experiences like that. Of course, they were probably in completely different branches with completely different specialties. I guess it could be pretty variable.

One thing I always try to do is accept correction well. You have corrected me and I thank you for that. It doesn't change my opinion that the "tactical" style of outdoor gear is very overplayed, though.

To clarify, I totally understand why military and ex-military folks like to use old gear that is familiar to them. My original comments were mostly about the civilian recreational outdoorsy types like myself.

superpaco, Broke and crewhead05 like this.
  40. crewhead05

Blog Posts:
    Awesome!

Broke likes this.
  41. GoKartz

Blog Posts:
    I liked multicam before it was popular. (Hipster cred!)

But seriously - multicam is a camo pattern that was developed and used by small gear manufacturers before it got a military contract. It won in a contract bid and BOOM! Popularity and AVAILABILITY shot through the roof, while cost dropped. Anybody remember how big Kryptek and ATACS got when they were fighting for a military contract? Or how scarce they got once they didn't get it? I've had some gear in all of these patterns; which is more tactical? Are they all tactical? Is multicam the most tactical because it is being used by the Army?

I've mentioned I have backpacks in ranger green and coyote, both earthy muted tones (which a lot of nontactical people have said is their preference). Are those tactical colors?

My favorite bags are made by an awesome small company in Colorado called Hill People Gear. I carry a coyote Connor to work, and people have made remarks several times about how it's a cool bag... but assume I was given it while in the Army. It seems to me I can't win. I'm not trying to look tactical, but by choosing to use muted earthy colors in my gear I do. There's not even PALS webbing on the outside! At one point I had an Umlindi and was in the airport with my son and someone asked if I was in the military (wasn't); once again, it was a green bag. Maybe it wasn't the bag?

Just rambling. What some people perceive as tactical or military is odd. Brown carhartts don't give off a tremendously military feel; but brown 5.11s... oh boy!

LarryB, ReallyBigMonkey1, Cro and 3 others like this.
  42. badglide9705

badglide9705 Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If you have some kind of bloodlust or feel the need to attack somebody with a baby blue backpack, I follow your thinking. But in a zombie apocalypse the bad guy might want food, water, tools and a weapon. Now who`s getting ambushed?
    I think the truth is that everybody is right. We all think independently and during any given scenario you have a 50-50 chance of being correct. I used to work in corrections and you would see the same thing. Big mean and tough and don't you dare mess with me. Might be a bluff. And a timid wallflower who might be your worst nightmare. Baby blue backpack might be packin a 1911!!!!!!

Nakadnu likes this.
  43. CoolBreeze135

Blog Posts:
    I don't really think of HPG packs very tactical either.

I previously mentioned that I don't like tactical gear. However, I do love muted colors. My favorite colors are grey, muted greens (olive, etc...), black, and brown. I never considered certain colors to be "tactical" colors. I guess that goes to show that "tactical" is an amorphous term that means different things to different people.

GoKartz and badglide9705 like this.
  44. Unistat76

Blog Posts:
    In Selco's experience from link I posted above, literally everyone with any kind of pack was a potential target for whatever resources they may have had. Even a humble Bic lighter was worth stealing.

Cro, GoKartz and badglide9705 like this.
  45. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    How is a color, pattern, or style tactical?
    You ever seen a backpack kick down a door and clear a room? What about a Kryptek, ever seen one assault a bunch of ISIS fighters? Ever seen a knife or flashlight HALO from 25,000 feet?

Carbonmated and jasam like this.
  46. Luafcm

Luafcm Scout

Blog Posts:
    The thing that I always wonder when this conversation comes up, is that who cares how you look in the event of social collapse.

Kinda a comparison would be the streets here in the winter. People are dolled up and looking there best in the summer, but as soon as it gets cold all fashion sense goes out the window. The only person that looks odd in the cold is someone who is shivering.

So I would think these definitions of looks (tactical, fudd, mall ninja, prep, geek, rock star...), won't matter to anyone once this gear is needed. In those situations you might want gear that's configured for combat as opposed to shopping and urban trips. If you have guns and ammo for JIC then you already think like this.

Kreger, BeardyCrow, Broke and 5 others like this.
  47. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Exactly

Or I agree.

Broke and Luafcm like this.
  48. badglide9705

badglide9705 Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's very true! But I have never seen a person do these things in carhartts, a jogging suit, or a three piece dress suit either. Right or wrong, we all have our own idea of what a soldier or a swat officer would look like.

49. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Considering we have been in some state of major conflict for decades now there has been a huge influx of mil-surp on the market and this has been noticed by gear manufactures who watch trends on marketing. Hence why they start making military inspired gear (some good,some bad). So that's how such trends start. Being a generally militaristic nation as a whole, the trend watchers figure many people may like military inspired products...hence all the tactical gear. I notice many people using what's considered "tactical" gear in my area by most accounts, and that can depend on you local region just like @GreyOne mentioned. If 60% or more of the people in your region use "tactical" gear of some sort, then to be a "Grey man" one has to follow suite. (pun intended).

Many people don't like to stand out when in the bush even while just woods roaming so that's why camo maybe so popular to cover any and all gear items, again marketing trends factor into this. America loves it's camo. The only nation that might like it just as much, if not more is Russia in my experience.

My last observation is this. Many people seem to forget that outdoorsmen throughout time have adopted and used military gear from their current era. The average guy from back in the 1920's was toting a canvas flapped ruck that was probably WWI surplus, his trousers were probably military issue too, so was his felt campaign hat. He also took with him a bolt action rifle into the field that was the state of the art "black rifle" of it's day. Most of his outdoor gear was probably military inspired from his era. This trend has taken place long before, and after our 1920's friend's time.

Cro, Kreger, BeardyCrow and 9 others like this.
  50. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    That might describe some of the gear they use while doing something tactical, but the gear itself isn't tactical.
    Ever shot a Glock, an AR, a shotgun, a revolver, ever used rope or a knife? Were you tactical just because you used those tools?